Police: Driver fired after boy was left on school bus for 6 hours

Full story: York Dispatch 41
A 7-year-old Northeastern School District student was left on a bus for six hours Monday after falling asleep on the drive to school, according to police. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Eagle One

Mount Laurel, NJ

#1 Jun 7, 2011
Sounds like he should be going to bed a little earlier so he doesn't fall asleep during the day.
dover

Dover, PA

#2 Jun 7, 2011
thank god the child is ok, that could have ended very badly. I think the system that they are putting in in the fall, should have been put in long ago. We put our kids on these buses, and we expect the drivers, and the schools to take care of our kids when they are in their hands. To have something like this happen, shows us not only did the driver fail at his or her job, so did the school. Why did the school not notify the parents when he was a no show, and no one called in to say he was absent? So the school also failed to do their job that day!
concerned mother

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Jun 7, 2011
to Eagle One.. sounds like you never had to get a child up early in the morning for school.. way don't you NOT blame the 7 year old, instead lets looks at why its policy for drivers to check their buses after dropping children off.. hmm? probably a policy because little ones fall back to sleep after sitting on a bus for sometimes 45 mins at 0630.. just saying.. if it were your child I think you might post something a little different..
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

#4 Jun 7, 2011
dover wrote:
thank god the child is ok, that could have ended very badly. I think the system that they are putting in in the fall, should have been put in long ago. We put our kids on these buses, and we expect the drivers, and the schools to take care of our kids when they are in their hands. To have something like this happen, shows us not only did the driver fail at his or her job, so did the school. Why did the school not notify the parents when he was a no show, and no one called in to say he was absent? So the school also failed to do their job that day!
So are you willing to pay higher taxes to enable the school district to hire people to call each and every students home that is absent each and every day? You are truly out of touch with reality.
Wondering

Camp Hill, PA

#5 Jun 7, 2011
Say no to baby Factories wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you willing to pay higher taxes to enable the school district to hire people to call each and every students home that is absent each and every day? You are truly out of touch with reality.
Just so you know Vo Tech calls your home to alert you that your child was not in school and when I was in school William Penn always did as well. So the idea is not far fetched at all.
move on

York, PA

#6 Jun 7, 2011
Yes, this was a big deal. Thank God the kid was not hurt. The driver goofed and was fired. The checking of buses will be enforced by the bus company to avoid further problems. The kid is OK. The school district will scrutinize the whole situation to death. The only reason to drag this out from here is for greed or attention.
Looser

Redmond, WA

#7 Jun 7, 2011
<quoted text>
..I think you are the one that is out of touch, there are lots of schools that call home when the child is not at school. Get with the program, its not about taxes , its about doing your job, if not go get anothet one. If you can.
American Nationalist

Red Lion, PA

#9 Jun 7, 2011
Eagle One wrote:
Sounds like he should be going to bed a little earlier so he doesn't fall asleep during the day.
Agreed.
Hoax

York, PA

#10 Jun 7, 2011
Did anyone ever think this kid was trying to skip school and just made that story up....I wouldnt have been so quick to fire the bus driver until I got the entire story....i'm sure his friends will rat him out in a few days...
Gone Rogue

Moorestown, NJ

#11 Jun 7, 2011
<quoted text>
Get with the times, most schools have an automated system that contacts all the numbers the parents have listed to inform them that their child is absent.
Gone Rogue

Moorestown, NJ

#12 Jun 7, 2011
Hoax wrote:
Did anyone ever think this kid was trying to skip school and just made that story up....I wouldnt have been so quick to fire the bus driver until I got the entire story....i'm sure his friends will rat him out in a few days...
Who left you on the computer unsupervised? He was there when the driver got back on the bus at 1:30, can you really be that clueless? Don't answer that, with one word you could exceed all my expectations.
Hoax

York, PA

#13 Jun 7, 2011
"An adult could have pushed the door open, or used an emergency door to exit, Rizzo said, but he's not sure the 7-year-old would have been strong enough if he had tried."

Maybe he tried to exit and was not strong enough to open the door. It's called reading the entire article, when a school bus driver exits the bus, there is a lever on the outside of the bus that closes and locks the doors.
Gone Rogue

Moorestown, NJ

#15 Jun 7, 2011
Hoax wrote:
"An adult could have pushed the door open, or used an emergency door to exit, Rizzo said, but he's not sure the 7-year-old would have been strong enough if he had tried."
Maybe he tried to exit and was not strong enough to open the door. It's called reading the entire article, when a school bus driver exits the bus, there is a lever on the outside of the bus that closes and locks the doors.
Wow really reaching there aren't you? How many nefarious 7 yrs olds do you know?
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

#16 Jun 7, 2011
Looser wrote:
<quoted text>..I think you are the one that is out of touch, there are lots of schools that call home when the child is not at school. Get with the program, its not about taxes , its about doing your job, if not go get anothet one. If you can.
It is not the school districts job to babysit your kid! This issue was between the parent and the bus company. The district does need to get involved. The only reason for them to be involved is to placate the retards that think the district should be the nanny or the idiot that thinks everything is a reason to sue.
People like this are the exact reason your hairdryer has a label that tells you not to use it in the shower. COme on people, you cannot legislate stupid out of existence.

When my kid was going to be out of school, I called them not the other way around!
Gone Rogue

Moorestown, NJ

#18 Jun 7, 2011
<quoted text>
It is not the school districts job to babysit your kid! This issue was between the parent and the bus company. The district does need to get involved. The only reason for them to be involved is to placate the retards that think the district should be the nanny or the idiot that thinks everything is a reason to sue.
People like this are the exact reason your hairdryer has a label that tells you not to use it in the shower. COme on people, you cannot legislate stupid out of existence.
When my kid was going to be out of school, I called them not the other way around!
Because the district contracts the bus services they do have to get involved, legally to cover their butts. You have a point, but I think the automated system was also put into play as a truancy deterrent, kinda hard to pull one over on your parents when the school is calling them to inform them you’re not there.
Hoax

York, PA

#19 Jun 7, 2011
Gone Rogue wrote:
<quoted text> Wow really reaching there aren't you? How many nefarious 7 yrs olds do you know?
?? oh thats right a 7 year old can't do anything bad..your probably one of those parents that is first to blame someone elses kid....let me guess..stay at home soccer mom?
Eagle One

Mount Laurel, NJ

#20 Jun 7, 2011
So for being honest the bus driver gets fired. Funny how parents let their kids in the car and they die from the heat and there's always an excuse for them. But this poor schlep gets canned for at least being honest enough to tell the truth.
How it is

York, PA

#21 Jun 7, 2011
<quoted text>
Technically, the kid is the district's responsibility from the time he arrives at the bus stop.
NOT how it is

York, PA

#22 Jun 7, 2011
How it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically, the kid is the district's responsibility from the time he arrives at the bus stop.
Yeah, right! A child is kidnapped at the bus stop, PRIOR to entering the bus, or late afternoon, when they LEAVE the bus, and the school district is responsible??? You most definitely should have been an attorney???
JMM

York, PA

#24 Jun 7, 2011
concerned mother wrote:
to Eagle One.. sounds like you never had to get a child up early in the morning for school.. way don't you NOT blame the 7 year old, instead lets looks at why its policy for drivers to check their buses after dropping children off.. hmm? probably a policy because little ones fall back to sleep after sitting on a bus for sometimes 45 mins at 0630.. just saying.. if it were your child I think you might post something a little different..
lets looks at your grammar ... just saying...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Jackson tribute coming to Strand-Capitol 4 hr My Life is Michael 211
Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (Jan '09) 8 hr deja 5,606
Review: D & M Auto Sales 8 hr igotrippedoff 5
York-based PSP troopers didn't use unreasonable... Oct 16 lady 9
Abby Lee Miller of 'Dance Moms' will visit York... Oct 14 amw 9
Muslim girls pics Oct 11 jaistar 1
Has anyone Information about former Dallastown ... Oct 8 lady 3
Manchester Dating
Find my Match

Manchester Jobs