Woman dead in I-83 crash in Mancheste...

Woman dead in I-83 crash in Manchester Twp.

There are 35 comments on the York Dispatch story from May 30, 2011, titled Woman dead in I-83 crash in Manchester Twp.. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

A woman is dead as the result of a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 83 in Manchester Township.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dth

AOL

#3 May 30, 2011
these truckers think they own the road .when they come off off 83 at any exit alot of them just push thier trucks out onto the attachd road and if u r in the way u r going to get clipped Ihad it happen to me at the exit at Round the clock dinner 3000.00 damage to my jeep and my niece got clipprd at strinestown totaled her toyota. they ned to install cameras so they can see everyone that does it trucks and cars alike and send them a fine with picture.
Frank

Dover, PA

#4 May 30, 2011
Man the poor woman on 83 got creamed!!!!!! Top to bottom air bags wouldn't have saved this girl.
Cornserned Sitisen

York, PA

#5 May 30, 2011
Frank wrote:
Man the poor woman on 83 got creamed!!!!!! Top to bottom air bags wouldn't have saved this girl.
That's because she was NOT wearin' a helmutt, like most of them their motorsickle peoples does.
Pappabear

York, PA

#7 May 31, 2011
It's not only the truckers-it's EVERYONE! I have seen so many times in my travels that people IGNORE the YIELD sign--it says YIELD-not MERGE!! Like Trooper Pinkerton said on channel 8-those already on the interstae have the RIGHT of WAY and do not need to yield to those trying to enter off the ramps. It is just a courtesy if you do move over if you can to allow them to come out. One BAD example I have seen is at the southbound Market Street on and off ramps where an emergency vehicle is trying to exit and people just keep moving instead of yielding to the exiting vehicles. Come on people -use that thing called COMMON SENSE!!
INyork

Lancaster, PA

#8 May 31, 2011
How could the trucker not know he was crushing that poor women? Come on, I feel so bad for her. Praying for her family
watch out- Yorker

Camp Hill, PA

#9 May 31, 2011
I used to travel that part of 83 to get to work. But after having too many close calls & barely avoiding accidents I now go a different route. That part of 83 needs some kind of change because of the way the cars & trucks entering the highway & pushing vehicles over towards the median wall. Too many times I came too close to that same wall.83 needs to be studied because from Market street to N.George st.is very dangerous because of the entrance & exit ramps were not the best design for the amount of traffic that now travels this highway.ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Chad A

Marbury, MD

#10 May 31, 2011
This story does not mention on and off ramps. But yeah, everyone needs to pay attention and drive defensively. Since we're talking about fixing stuff, how about fixing that stupid unleveled crack that runs all the way to Maryland. So incredibly annoying and dangerous.
About time

Mechanicsburg, PA

#11 May 31, 2011
sounds to me like he did not see her in the left lane as he moved over. and again, no mention this is related to the on ramps. Sounds like she was in his blind spot. We all need to drive defensively and carefully on 83. I travel that every day to work and it is a clear straight shot. To me, the Market St exit going southbound is a definite deathtrap to which the other post related it to the ambulance trying to get off. So sorry for her family. I lost a loved one in a tragic accident a year ago this week and your life is forever changed. My deepest sympathy to you.
About time

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 May 31, 2011
Chad A wrote:
This story does not mention on and off ramps. But yeah, everyone needs to pay attention and drive defensively. Since we're talking about fixing stuff, how about fixing that stupid unleveled crack that runs all the way to Maryland. So incredibly annoying and dangerous.
That crack also runs where that accident happened I believe. It is in the right lane and if you notice the left lane is all beat up from this winter! PENNDOT can't handle one crack, now what are they going to do!!!
Christian mafia

United States

#13 May 31, 2011
i cant beleive the road conditions on that part of 83..the pavement is hell to drive on..i think they didn't finish the repair work..id sue the state..
Tragic Loss

Goshen, NY

#14 May 31, 2011
I knew this woman. She was a lovely, gracious person. She has a wonderful family. I also know that many truckers can be very lazy and don't want to slow down because they may actually have to do some driving and shifting. I have confronted many on the CB radio for being pushy and down right dangerous with their speed and lane changes. When you see a semi coming onto the highway, believe they are NOT going to slow down because nine out of ten times they will not yield. They don't want to have to start downshifting or lose their precious road speed. This guy's license should be pulled. The story isn't clear as to why this truck needed to move to the left lane to begin with.
Lilburn Bush

York, PA

#15 May 31, 2011
It was right at an entrance ramp from George St that comes on to 83 that is very short and very dangerous. I drive it every morning. It is also right after another entrance ramp- you have to merge left quickly to avoid the oncomng people on that ramp to 83. Not surprised but very sad for your friend. She was in the correct lane at that spot on 83. Unfortunately, I believe either someone was merging onto 83 and he had nowhere to go or he did not see her in the left lane.
Yield Means Yield

York, PA

#16 May 31, 2011
I just had a trucker force me into the passing lane this weekend when there were vehicles beside me...coming up the ramp I could see he was NOT going to stop and I had to react quickly almost causing an accident. Doesn't yield mean just that...YIELD!!! I cannot imagine the grief for the family and the terror this woman felt before her death. UNCALLED FOR!
kdilona

Bronx, NY

#17 May 31, 2011
Ms. Gunther was my teacher. Last time I saw her was last Thursday. Our school hasn't even made an anouncement yet. It's just so horrible. I almost can't believe that this happened to her.
Monroe-Woodbury parent

Monroe, NY

#18 May 31, 2011
Susan Gunther was a wonderful teacher. She was kind, intelligent, and insightful. Her colleagues, and students are shocked and saddened by her death. Our hearts go out to her family and friends.
Road Warrior

Shippensburg, PA

#19 May 31, 2011
About time wrote:
sounds to me like he did not see her in the left lane as he moved over. and again, no mention this is related to the on ramps. Sounds like she was in his blind spot.
With all due respect, I've witnessed far too many four-wheeler drivers who get intimidated by the size of the truck they are attempting to pass and actually go slower and slower, often hanging for way to long in the trucker's blind spot as they very very gradually gain on the rig.

If you lack the nerve to pass, just stay behind the truck.

If I come up behind someone like that in the left lane I hang back until they're finished fahrting around and then clip by at a decent speed.
Regards from this PAer

Ionia, MI

#20 May 31, 2011
Monroe-Woodbury parent wrote:
Susan Gunther was a wonderful teacher. She was kind, intelligent, and insightful. Her colleagues, and students are shocked and saddened by her death. Our hearts go out to her family and friends.
Thank you for putting a person behind the name. My sympathy goes to you, her students, her past students and all the people she touched in her life.
Tom H

United States

#21 May 31, 2011
When you know your coming up to onramps get over in the left lane. Give people room to enter and maybe slow some people down alittle. How many times have you seem someone have to pull out from a dead stop at an onramp?
Give Chance a Pi

Mechanicsburg, PA

#22 May 31, 2011
The car was obliterated, the poor woman was probably terrified. She was truly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Since: Sep 08

Carlisle PA

#23 May 31, 2011
Tom H wrote:
When you know your coming up to onramps get over in the left lane. Give people room to enter and maybe slow some people down alittle. How many times have you seem someone have to pull out from a dead stop at an onramp?
I've seen them do that more out of choice than necessity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawyer: School that blocked gay speech didn't d... Jul 30 Wondering 25
Harley-Davidson Mfg. Plant ,York (May '11) Jul 28 mrjonjon77 36
Review: Pasch Enterprises (Sep '10) Jul 16 Captain Obvious 20
News North York wants entire borough to be a drug-fr... Jul 11 Bh smith 1
News Intolerance walks into a West York bar ... but ... Jul 9 tom_ 3
Review: Graham Architectural Products Jul 9 stanp 1
News Police seeking who stolen jewelry, TVs belong t... Jul '15 Costard 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages