Has the steam whistle played its last...

Has the steam whistle played its last Christmas carol?

There are 40 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 25, 2009, titled Has the steam whistle played its last Christmas carol?. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

About 12:15 a.m. Friday, the sound started. It had an unearthly quality, high-pitched yet resonant and very loud.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Argento is nuts

Jersey Shore, PA

#21 Dec 26, 2009
By the way, I have nothing against the concert, I think it is pretty cool. So do not get your panties in a bunch.
unafraidveteran

Cranford, NJ

#22 Dec 26, 2009
Argento is nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no facts thrown in my face. I had your version of deluded fantasies. The voters spoke and you were in the minority but cannot accept it. Let the LYHR supporters pay for the whistle. Platts is involved, it should not take much for him to crawl beneath somes desks and have this supported for the next millenium.
Between the off key whistle and the constant whine of 'argento is nuts', I don't know which is more obnoxiuos. Since the concert is done with pride and the whine is nothing more than s silly and petty women's cry for recogniton, I'll give the whistles the benefit of the doubt.'Argento is nuts' is the stereotypical poster hiding behind a moniker attacking others without saying who she is, what a coward.
And for the record my name is SCott Smyser of York, and I'm proud of who I am and what I have to say, that is why I served my country for four years. Unlike the 'argento is nuts' who is afraid to even be known yet alone defend her country. WUSS!
Tony

Port Huron, MI

#23 Dec 26, 2009
New to York wrote:
In answer to the question: God I hope so. That was an awful racket. A steam whistle in the middle of the night? Are you guys serious that this is a tradition? What kind of Christmas Eve is it when you are disturbed by this noise?
Last time I checked 83 ran north and south, so take a hike.
New to York

Towson, MD

#24 Dec 26, 2009
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I checked 83 ran north and south, so take a hike.
Nah, I think I'll stay and tick you off. It's us newbies that will end the old tired traditions and start new ones.
Clifford

York, PA

#25 Dec 26, 2009
I love the whistles. Every year i look forward to hearing them. This year my 4 year old was too excited to sleep, so we sat together and listened to them and rocked. There is nothing as special as cuddling with a child listening to those wonderful whistles! Christmas spirit at its finest!
Lifer York Countian

York, PA

#26 Dec 26, 2009
New to York wrote:
In answer to the question: God I hope so. That was an awful racket. A steam whistle in the middle of the night? Are you guys serious that this is a tradition? What kind of Christmas Eve is it when you are disturbed by this noise?
What kind of the day after Christmas stupidity must we listen to.
How about blowin' this "New to York". Oh, that's the way we are around here. If you don't like it, there is no "anchor in your a$$". See you! This also applies to ANYONE else who does not appreciate a very long York City tradition. Sincerely, my apologies to "New to York", sorta.
New to York

Towson, MD

#27 Dec 26, 2009
Lifer York Countian wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of the day after Christmas stupidity must we listen to.
How about blowin' this "New to York". Oh, that's the way we are around here. If you don't like it, there is no "anchor in your a$$". See you! This also applies to ANYONE else who does not appreciate a very long York City tradition. Sincerely, my apologies to "New to York", sorta.
Such a friendly bunch you are too. Sure I could take my tax monies out of "your" community. But the way I see it, you need me more than I need you. Jobs are leaving "your" quaint little berg and there are fewer people making good money moving in. Not to mention the crime rate. So yeah, I'll be gone soon and you can have your steam whistle.
Argento is nuts

Jersey Shore, PA

#28 Dec 26, 2009
unafraidveteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Between the off key whistle and the constant whine of 'argento is nuts', I don't know which is more obnoxiuos. Since the concert is done with pride and the whine is nothing more than s silly and petty women's cry for recogniton, I'll give the whistles the benefit of the doubt.'Argento is nuts' is the stereotypical poster hiding behind a moniker attacking others without saying who she is, what a coward.
And for the record my name is SCott Smyser of York, and I'm proud of who I am and what I have to say, that is why I served my country for four years. Unlike the 'argento is nuts' who is afraid to even be known yet alone defend her country. WUSS!
Chris Burns. York

Now, crawl back on your sisters lap and be quiet!!
Jersey

Red Lion, PA

#29 Dec 26, 2009
New to York wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a friendly bunch you are too. Sure I could take my tax monies out of "your" community. But the way I see it, you need me more than I need you. Jobs are leaving "your" quaint little berg and there are fewer people making good money moving in. Not to mention the crime rate. So yeah, I'll be gone soon and you can have your steam whistle.
I think people here consider it "theirs" because they see people moving here from Baltimore and not even trying to assimilate into the community. I have seen many people move here from other areas and think they know it all. They know how to coach better, know how to run programs better, and just do everything better. But when it comes time for the transplants to put up and volunteer, they are now where to be found. That is just an observation on my part.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#30 Dec 26, 2009
While I don't live in York anymore, I have fond rememberances of the steam whistles at Christmas time. Ben Root and GM Bob Turner did many good things for York. To ask Louis Appell Jr., Tom Wolf, Tim Grumbacher, Donald Graham or Bob Kinsley to come to the rescue is a bit much. They have already given tens of thousands of dollars to the community. It truly is time for the 'nouveaux riche', who live in opulence in Wyndham Hills and elsewhere to come forward if they want the tradition to continue.
unafraidveteran

Cranford, NJ

#31 Dec 26, 2009
Argento is nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Chris Burns. York
Now, crawl back on your sisters lap and be quiet!!
Would that be the Burns on Shorb Hill Road or the Chris Burns on the JMS (Judicial Monotoring System) that has three convictions including an aggrevated assault? From your posting I would assume the latter!
Argento is nuts

Jersey Shore, PA

#32 Dec 26, 2009
Wrong on both counts!!
Oh and I did check out your record too. I cannot figure how such a moron could go without getting caught yet.
J R Hitz

Tuscaloosa, AL

#33 Dec 26, 2009
More details would help but I can't imagine spending $15,000.00 a year is cheaper than a new boiler???
Argento is nuts

York, PA

#34 Dec 26, 2009
A new boiler with all the needed accessories is going to run about $100,000 to build and install along with all the testing and permitting. A temp boiler is much more economical.
The steam whistle will not work with compressed air due to the difference in density between the 2.

I heard the concert from West York and it was loud and clear. I enjoyed the concert but,I can understand why those that live near the factory could be upset.
Chip

York, PA

#35 Dec 26, 2009
It's funny that residents close by get so upset over this steam whistle which runs once a year for half an hour. Add all the shots that ring out in the city over a year and it adds up to half an hour. At least it's a peaceful sound with no malicious intent :-)
TH is right

Lebanon, PA

#36 Dec 27, 2009
Don Ryan is an AdoubleSHOLE
annoying

Hammonton, NJ

#37 Dec 27, 2009
That steam whistle is soooooooooo annoying.... but somehow I look forward to it every year. Go figure. It's tradition.... lol
Annoying York Countian

York, PA

#38 Dec 27, 2009
annoying wrote:
That steam whistle is soooooooooo annoying.... but somehow I look forward to it every year. Go figure. It's tradition.... lol
That steam whistle is not as annoying as you, but somehow I put up with you, as like me, we are typical York Countians. Damn proud of it. May the tradition continue. LOL!!!
facetious suggestions

York, PA

#39 Dec 27, 2009
Argento is nuts wrote:
A new boiler with all the needed accessories is going to run about $100,000 to build and install along with all the testing and permitting. A temp boiler is much more economical.
The steam whistle will not work with compressed air due to the difference in density between the 2.
I heard the concert from West York and it was loud and clear. I enjoyed the concert but,I can understand why those that live near the factory could be upset.
Suggestion, just use a small can of condensed gas like I screw onto my boat horn. Station about 87 musicians throughout York County, cans in hand, to play the very lovely Christmas music.
OR - Pull over all tractor trailers, hand drivers sheet music and have them play the wonderful tunes on their airhorns. Problem solved.
I should run for President of these United States. We wouldn't be in all this trouble.
A mindful reporter

Havertown, PA

#40 Dec 22, 2012
Just be on pitch

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News York's bike share program vandalized in York City Jul 5 Justellnthetruth 1
News Hanover house featured on Animal Planet's 'Haun... (Oct '10) Jul 4 DeAnna Simpson 95
News 4 pregnant women with Zika confirmed in Yorka Jul 1 Rose Writes 1
News Red Lion family makes most of dog's last days Jun '17 Justellnthetruth 1
News 13 nabbed in prostitution bust (Mar '08) Jun '17 Anonymous 46
News Police log: Boy, 11, in critical condition afte... (Nov '08) May '17 NoQuarter 36
News York man arrested for DUI twice in one day (Nov '10) May '17 Real Adam chirico 35

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages