Has the steam whistle played its last...

Has the steam whistle played its last Christmas carol?

There are 40 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 25, 2009, titled Has the steam whistle played its last Christmas carol?. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

About 12:15 a.m. Friday, the sound started. It had an unearthly quality, high-pitched yet resonant and very loud.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lets keep it going

York, PA

#1 Dec 25, 2009
I will donate in keeping the concert in place, if for no other reason, to pi$$ off the grouchy SOB's who hate the noise. Would it be possible to ban THEM from York County?
reeder

Tuscaloosa, AL

#2 Dec 25, 2009
I can hear it in Manchester Twp. Sounds like someone pulling the tails of a bunch of alley cats.
I Hate Steelertards

Gettysburg, PA

#3 Dec 25, 2009
I live in East York and NEVER have a problem hearing the whistle. This year we couldn't hear it all. I thought something went wrong and they didn't play.

How about asking Louis Appell, Tom Wolf, Tim Grumbacher and all of the other UBER-RICH MONEYBAGS around York to donate to keep this going? Don't they all supposedly CARE about York and its traditions? They have the money to burn on it, and don't let them con you into thinking they don't have it.
John Doe 000069

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Dec 25, 2009
Lets keep it going wrote:
I will donate in keeping the concert in place, if for no other reason, to pi$$ off the grouchy SOB's who hate the noise. Would it be possible to ban THEM from York County?

I will make sure it never happens again. How is that concert even legal at 12:15 in the morning. Doesn't that violate York's noise law? I feel the person in the permits department gets a large fine for approving that so called music. You even call it noise. I heard nothing that resembles and Christmas music.
Love the STEELERS

York, PA

#5 Dec 25, 2009
I Hate Steelertards wrote:
I live in East York and NEVER have a problem hearing the whistle. This year we couldn't hear it all. I thought something went wrong and they didn't play.
How about asking Louis Appell, Tom Wolf, Tim Grumbacher and all of the other UBER-RICH MONEYBAGS around York to donate to keep this going? Don't they all supposedly CARE about York and its traditions? They have the money to burn on it, and don't let them con you into thinking they don't have it.
Did you not know that those batteries in your hearing aid must be replaced every year. I do it on the night before the whistle concert so am sure to hear the BEAUTIFUL music. Sorry! The folks you mentioned are pooling their monies to bail Stetler's homesick a$$ out of jail. Maybe in 2011???
Joe Schmo 000070

York, PA

#6 Dec 25, 2009
John Doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will make sure it never happens again. How is that concert even legal at 12:15 in the morning. Doesn't that violate York's noise law? I feel the person in the permits department gets a large fine for approving that so called music. You even call it noise. I heard nothing that resembles and Christmas music.
Yea, and make sure you DO NOT awaken me at 12:15 a.m. on New Years Eve when you are loudly dry-heaving off your balcony. Along with the heaving, your farting will probably set off the "shot detectors". I'm gonna have the Permits Department (whatever that is) arrest your honky a$$ as well. The whistle sounded much better than that Cracker/Redneck music you listen to. Cannot wait until next year to hear the great traditional whistle music.
Umm_Ask_Todd

York, PA

#7 Dec 25, 2009
So, there is this guy named Todd Platts, Mark you might know him, you should have him bring the money to town
In The Know

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Dec 25, 2009
Umm_Ask_Todd wrote:
So, there is this guy named Todd Platts, Mark you might know him, you should have him bring the money to town
Tax dollars are being spent on too much nonsense right now like everybody's pet pork project. All these rich people and businesses getting bailouts needs to stop.

I would hate to see this tradition lumped in with them.

So, here's my plan to fund next year's concert using the local rich guys. Let them step up to the plate instead of asking us to give them favors through tax breaks.

Louis Appell can fork over a thousand. Tom Wolf can pay a thousand. Glatfelter Insurance Group can pitch in a thousand. Kinsley Construction is good for a thousand.
Then, the York Newspaper Company should put up a thousand.

Robert Pullo and the Grumbacher family can probably find a thousand as well to help this project.

Then, we can pass the hat for the rest of us to help pick up the cost.
Whistler

York, PA

#9 Dec 26, 2009
I agree about the fat cats around town who proclaim to have the communities interest at heart. Keep the tradition alive...please! As a note anything with the name platts attached to it usually smells funny. Those idiots could steal someones land for a park we don't need OR WANT but something that is a tradition gets the boot. What gives??? Folks boycott anything havimng to do with any platts!
scott

Ypsilanti, MI

#10 Dec 26, 2009
i hope they find the funds to keep playing them for years to come
BadAndy17050

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Dec 26, 2009
Can't the whistle be powered by compressed air instead of steam????
Tone deaf

York, PA

#12 Dec 26, 2009
In addition to the big companies how about asking some of these fat cat lawyers in town to pony up. I know Anstine could fund the whole thing and never miss the money.
Argento is nuts

Jersey Shore, PA

#13 Dec 26, 2009
I have an idea. Why doesn't the county sell Lori's folly at highpoint and use the money to pay down the debt and then let all the LYHR idiots pay for this as a means of apologizing to the entire county.
ustaxpayer

Eau Claire, PA

#14 Dec 26, 2009
Silence the whistle, if any tax dollars are used!
Truth Hammer

York, PA

#15 Dec 26, 2009
Why do you insist on making a big deal out of this stupid event every year. There is no bigger a**hole in York County than Don Ryan, and his 5 minutes of fame should have passed long ago.
Henry IV

Lancaster, PA

#16 Dec 26, 2009
So now Argento man has to bring his Lauxmont-fixation to posts about our great steam whistle concert - maybe because he's already been put in his place on other appropriate post sites by having the facts placed squarely in front of him? And all he could do was run for cover! Please don't run here. You're hatred is especially tiresome during the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone - and may the steam whistle play on!
Think about IT

York, PA

#17 Dec 26, 2009
You paupers amaze me. In addition to the FAT CATS supposedly paying for the magnificent universal health care, now you want them to pay for a whistle. So eventually, everyone in society will be on the same level. There is a name for this sort of government. Is that what you want, or are you just plain that stupid. If only you folks knew what the above FAT CATS donated to the county in one year, you may be surprised. No, am not one of them or taking up for them either. But please use your heads.
Becks

Hanover, PA

#18 Dec 26, 2009
This was my first year hearing the whistles and I thought they were beautiful. Reminded me of The year without a Santa Claus we are welcoming Santa. For pitys sake we hear sirens ALL night long and we all know that they are not for good things and no one complains about a noise ordinance so why complain about something that is reminding all of us that there is still some good in the city. I will be more than happy to donate to keep the whistles going, whether or not the wealthy folks of the city help. If all of us in the city donate $1.00 we could keep then going.
New to York

Towson, MD

#19 Dec 26, 2009
In answer to the question: God I hope so. That was an awful racket. A steam whistle in the middle of the night? Are you guys serious that this is a tradition? What kind of Christmas Eve is it when you are disturbed by this noise?
Argento is nuts

Jersey Shore, PA

#20 Dec 26, 2009
Henry IV wrote:
So now Argento man has to bring his Lauxmont-fixation to posts about our great steam whistle concert - maybe because he's already been put in his place on other appropriate post sites by having the facts placed squarely in front of him? And all he could do was run for cover! Please don't run here. You're hatred is especially tiresome during the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone - and may the steam whistle play on!
I had no facts thrown in my face. I had your version of deluded fantasies. The voters spoke and you were in the minority but cannot accept it. Let the LYHR supporters pay for the whistle. Platts is involved, it should not take much for him to crawl beneath somes desks and have this supported for the next millenium.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama kicks off six-day European tour in Ireland (May '11) 8 hr GOPMS 41
News LAPD "Considering" Investigating Harvey Weinste... Oct 15 Tired 2
Judge Prendergast - RUN DON'T WALK! Oct 14 Emily 2
News York Police: Mayor Bracey's son arrested fora Oct 7 Long term memory 2
News Hanover house featured on Animal Planet's 'Haun... (Oct '10) Oct 6 JackieF 97
News Old Fire Farts Muster in Manchester Twp. Oct 4 Bad Hombre 3
News Hinkle's Pharmacy in Columbia is closing Oct 3 Gabriel Wolfe 1

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages