Zach Witman: 'Take a second look'

Zach Witman: 'Take a second look'

There are 545 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 19, 2010, titled Zach Witman: 'Take a second look'. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Ron and Sue Witman say they would exhume their son Gregory's body if it would help prove their other son, Zachary, was not the person who stabbed Gregory to death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#564 Mar 25, 2013
The Executioners Song wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't use logic or reasoning when you deal with people who are in complete denial. The kid likely had good parents but through no fault of their own he was born with the X factor which made him a sociopath. A bad apple if you will.
Very true. I have an older brother whose been in and out of prison much of his life and my mother always blamed his behaviors on the "bad crowd" lawyers, judges, and the entire penal system. Fact is he would jokingly tell me about the criminal stuff he was up to but when my mother was present that halo on top of his head would show up. Her blind, unconditional love for him kept her in denial right up until she passed away.
The Executioners Song

Chambersburg, PA

#565 Mar 25, 2013
Da Gubment wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true. I have an older brother whose been in and out of prison much of his life and my mother always blamed his behaviors on the "bad crowd" lawyers, judges, and the entire penal system. Fact is he would jokingly tell me about the criminal stuff he was up to but when my mother was present that halo on top of his head would show up. Her blind, unconditional love for him kept her in denial right up until she passed away.
Yup. There's obviously people on this thread who have both a personal and emotional interest in this case so they lack the ability to look at it objectively. He's been convicted and incarcerated. I think it's clearly a death penalty case, that's all.
lady

Lancaster, PA

#566 Mar 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Since we don't have a "perfect" legal system then we should just let everyone in America that is currently in prison out, correct?
If they are innocent YES THEY SHOULD BE SET FREE!
As mentioned earlier if the court ruled the sky was green becuase prosecuters convinced the Judge and Jury it was still doesn't change the fact that the sky remains blue.
Just becuase a Judge Orders something it's only from that perspective it still doesn't chang the facts.
I don't know why someone would remove this same comment from earlier so I re-typed it.
It's true so plese don't cry about it just because you may choose to believe someone's opinion rather than fact.
The fact remains this boy could be innocent why not give the case a second look?
lady

Lancaster, PA

#567 Mar 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Insert name of PA County here________. You're just creating a cliche when you say silly things like that. I've heard the exact same wording about the Judicial systems in Cambria, Cumberland, Dauphin, etc. At least be original with your nonsense next time instead of rehashing what has been said about every other County in the USA.
That's a matter of opinion too. But if it strokes your ego sorry about the misunderstanding. The bottom line is his case in the interest of Justce deserves a second look.
If the Y.C. J.S. was working properly the kid wouldn't have been found guilty to begin with. The system would have worked.
The system is a buisness look at the money they are making off this one case.
It's not about right or wrong anymore it's about the all mighty dollar and who's willing to pay to keep such a system in place whether right or wrong
Lawman

Park Ridge, NJ

#568 Mar 25, 2013
Tried, convicted, and sentenced. End of discussion.
LarryD

York, PA

#569 Mar 25, 2013
lady wrote:
<quoted text>
... If the Y.C. J.S. was working properly the kid wouldn't have been found guilty to begin with. The system would have worked.
Lady,

You are only reading/hearing one side of the case which would explain your outrageous comment assuming Zach would not have been found guilty had the system worked.

Ask yourself one thing: Why did the family fight for 5 years before Zach went to trial to get a lot of damning evidence excluded or precluded from being presented by the Prosecution during the trial?

Unfortunately, the system did work in this case. Even with a lot of evidence suppressed, there was still ample evidence to convict Zach beyond any doubt. Why? Sadly, because he did it. While it would be great to have a motive, or to hear a confession, sometimes we have to accept things the way they are rather than the way we wish they were.

For what it is worth, if it were my son, I would do everything I could just as the Witmans are doing. And, I hope he gets a new trial so that he might end up in a forensic facility where he can get the help he needs and, perhaps, experience freedom sometime in the years ahead.

However, in this case, the system, as slowly as those wheels turned, did work while producing a sad, yet accurate, verdict.
lady

Lancaster, PA

#570 Mar 25, 2013
with all due respect sir, it's your opinion and if it is true than why not give the case a second look?
Give him his chance than the judgment can be rightfully so.
Freddy vs Jason

Carlisle, PA

#571 Mar 25, 2013
Zachary Witman reminds me a lot of Michael Myers as a child in the original Halloween movie.
LarryD

York, PA

#572 Mar 25, 2013
lady wrote:
with all due respect sir, it's your opinion and if it is true than why not give the case a second look?
Give him his chance than the judgment can be rightfully so.
Lady:

Then by your definition, any conviction of any crime (large or small) adjudicated via the judicial system would simply be an opinion unless there was a confirmed confession regardless of the amount of compelling evidence. Is that about right??

I wonder how backed-up the courts would be under your system of having each case get second chance after second chance??

Just curious: do you think OJ Simpson was guilty of killing his ex-wife and Ron Goldman or is it your opinion that he was not guilty of those crimes as well?? Just wondering ....
lady

Lancaster, PA

#573 Mar 26, 2013
Well sir, to answer your questions Yes a judges decision is always an opinion that can be swayed depending on the picture that is painted, you see they are bound by law as well even if there was proof of innocence it may not be admissable as evidence.

Secondly referring to the backed up court system would then encourage the court to cut out the B.S. cases like 2011-FC-000338-15 and 2012-SU-000641-44 York County Courthouse that's some of many to refrence. Basically get rid of any bogus cases lingerig in the Civil realm like crooked attorneys sueing insurance company's, then getting clients to do the same thing yeah that might be a good thing.

Lastly, about o.j I don't have anything to say about his case as i'm unfamiliar with it I only know the usual he did it he got off same thing as casey Anthony but her I believe she's guilty the only reason she created reasonable doubt and all you need for the system to accquit you is just that.
I don't want to offend any one I just like to comment and make my voice heard as does everyone else that comments. There are those who are rightfully punished for the crimes they commit and there are innocent people, wrongfully found guilty and there are very few even willing to entertain that. I pray sir for your sake that you never become a victim of the system sounds like you have some faith in it. Justice is not fair as we know it on this earth but in the end Rightousness wins.
Wtf

United States

#574 Mar 28, 2013
Who really gives a shit??? Keep this crap out of the news so we don't have to hear about it!!
Common Sense

Baltimore, MD

#575 Mar 29, 2013
Mr.Witman has always been media hungry throughout the whole process, nauseatingly so. The man doth enjoy the limelight (remember Mr. Witman flirting with the female reporter at the trial?). So, let us not feed that addiction any longer. Please, no more press conferences. They have never really been necessary. They have had their day in court and also with the appeals process. It's done, it's over. And yes, you can certainly kill someone with something the size of a pen knife - REMEMBER 911????? You can gut and debone a deer with a pen knife if you keep at it. Stabbing a body 65 times is a crime of passion, not of a random killer. The Witman's will continue the fight, in a grand spectacle, as it is all they know how to do. So, here we go again.
thetruthhurtsalo t

York, PA

#576 Mar 29, 2013
lady wrote:
Well sir, to answer your questions Yes a judges decision is always an opinion that can be swayed depending on the picture that is painted, you see they are bound by law as well even if there was proof of innocence it may not be admissable as evidence.
Secondly referring to the backed up court system would then encourage the court to cut out the B.S. cases like 2011-FC-000338-15 and 2012-SU-000641-44 York County Courthouse that's some of many to refrence. Basically get rid of any bogus cases lingerig in the Civil realm like crooked attorneys sueing insurance company's, then getting clients to do the same thing yeah that might be a good thing.
Lastly, about o.j I don't have anything to say about his case as i'm unfamiliar with it I only know the usual he did it he got off same thing as casey Anthony but her I believe she's guilty the only reason she created reasonable doubt and all you need for the system to accquit you is just that.
I don't want to offend any one I just like to comment and make my voice heard as does everyone else that comments. There are those who are rightfully punished for the crimes they commit and there are innocent people, wrongfully found guilty and there are very few even willing to entertain that. I pray sir for your sake that you never become a victim of the system sounds like you have some faith in it. Justice is not fair as we know it on this earth but in the end Rightousness wins.
Ms. Whitman please give it a rest
lady

Lancaster, PA

#577 Mar 30, 2013
sorry to dissapoint you, I'm not ms. Witman and have no affiliation what so ever with this case.
ROXS

Jarrettsville, MD

#578 Mar 31, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
Mr.Witman has always been media hungry throughout the whole process, nauseatingly so. The man doth enjoy the limelight (remember Mr. Witman flirting with the female reporter at the trial?). So, let us not feed that addiction any longer. Please, no more press conferences. They have never really been necessary. They have had their day in court and also with the appeals process. It's done, it's over. And yes, you can certainly kill someone with something the size of a pen knife - REMEMBER 911????? You can gut and debone a deer with a pen knife if you keep at it. Stabbing a body 65 times is a crime of passion, not of a random killer. The Witman's will continue the fight, in a grand spectacle, as it is all they know how to do. So, here we go again.
What does flirting with a reporter have to do with the case? You are as ignorant and judgmental as they come as an airchar observer.'If you keep at it - REMEBER 911', Zach Witman hardly had the time to do just that. Statements made at the time of arrest gave him barely 15 minutes to murder his brother, nearly beheading him. Where was the blood on his kid, just one questionable fact of the case? The media is a strong tool and just in case you are ever in serious trouble with the law, I hope you remember this!
pretty damning evidence

Forest Hill, MD

#579 Apr 1, 2013
The evidence that Zach killed Greg is overwhelming. It defies common sense to imagine that Zach didn't do this.

1. There are footprints leading from the house to the base of a pine tree where gloves and a small knife both covered in Greg's blood were buried. The footprints then lead back into the house. These footprints popped under luminol. There are no other bloody footprints leaving the house.(Why would a stranger take time to bury evidence outside the house and come back in instead of just fleeing with the evidence? It only makes sense for somebody who has to stay with the house to do this because they have no ability to take the evidence far away--in other words, only Greg would have had motivation to do this.)

2. The gloves belonged to Zach. The gloves covered in Greg's blood that were buried under the pine tree have a cut on the left hand in the area where there was a matching cut on Zach's left hand ring finger.

3. Zach's bloody and dirty hands were wiped with a towel by a paramedic. The soil on that towel matched soil samples taken where the gloves were buried.

4. Zach's sweatshirt had a V pattern associated with arterial spurting. This could only have occurred were he present when Greg was dying. Beyond 3 minutes five seconds, this arterial spurting would not have been possible. The sweatshirt also had blood splatter stains on it so Zach was in proximate vicinity of Greg when he was stabbed.

5. Zach's socks had blood splatter drops on top of them.

6. The knife buried under the pine tree covered in Greg's blood was closely associated with Zach's own knife collection and his father's former business because they were promotional products given away by auto parts manufacturers and Zach's father had previously owned an oil changing shop that did business with such manufacturers. In fact, the murder weapon advertised a Baltimore auto parts business on its handle and the father's auto business was located in Baltimore.

This is a lot of coincidences. If Zach didn't do this, then he might be the unluckiest mother f'er that ever lived because it would mean that some other guy came in Zach's house, took Zach's gloves, used a knife that matches knives in Zach's collection, buried the evidence in Zach's backyard within a 10-15 minute window of time, committed the crime in socked feet, and did all this without Zach knowing it was going on, escaped without anybody noticing him, and poor Zach ended up with blood drops and spatter on the sweatshirt he was wearing somehow even though he found his brother already dead.

If that all happened, Zach is probably safer in jail because he so God damned unlucky he would have had a freak accident just walking the streets. I mean that is one kid that shouldn't bother to play the lottery if all those things happened. Either he did it or the universe HATES him.
correction

Forest Hill, MD

#580 Apr 1, 2013
I meant only Zach would have had motivation to bury the evidence in the back yard.
Lebanon Leroy

Chalfont, PA

#581 Apr 1, 2013
Zachary Witman did the crime and now his parents are trapped in a deep case of guilt and denial about it. I don't want this cold-hearted sociopath back on the street again, ever.
weirdo

Middletown, PA

#582 May 29, 2013
pretty damning evidence wrote:
The evidence that Zach killed Greg is overwhelming. It defies common sense to imagine that Zach didn't do this.
1. There are footprints leading from the house to the base of a pine tree where gloves and a small knife both covered in Greg's blood were buried. The footprints then lead back into the house. These footprints popped under luminol. There are no other bloody footprints leaving the house.(Why would a stranger take time to bury evidence outside the house and come back in instead of just fleeing with the evidence? It only makes sense for somebody who has to stay with the house to do this because they have no ability to take the evidence far away--in other words, only Greg would have had motivation to do this.)
2. The gloves belonged to Zach. The gloves covered in Greg's blood that were buried under the pine tree have a cut on the left hand in the area where there was a matching cut on Zach's left hand ring finger.
3. Zach's bloody and dirty hands were wiped with a towel by a paramedic. The soil on that towel matched soil samples taken where the gloves were buried.
4. Zach's sweatshirt had a V pattern associated with arterial spurting. This could only have occurred were he present when Greg was dying. Beyond 3 minutes five seconds, this arterial spurting would not have been possible. The sweatshirt also had blood splatter stains on it so Zach was in proximate vicinity of Greg when he was stabbed.
5. Zach's socks had blood splatter drops on top of them.
6. The knife buried under the pine tree covered in Greg's blood was closely associated with Zach's own knife collection and his father's former business because they were promotional products given away by auto parts manufacturers and Zach's father had previously owned an oil changing shop that did business with such manufacturers. In fact, the murder weapon advertised a Baltimore auto parts business on its handle and the father's auto business was located in Baltimore.
This is a lot of coincidences. If Zach didn't do this, then he might be the unluckiest mother f'er that ever lived because it would mean that some other guy came in Zach's house, took Zach's gloves, used a knife that matches knives in Zach's collection, buried the evidence in Zach's backyard within a 10-15 minute window of time, committed the crime in socked feet, and did all this without Zach knowing it was going on, escaped without anybody noticing him, and poor Zach ended up with blood drops and spatter on the sweatshirt he was wearing somehow even though he found his brother already dead.
If that all happened, Zach is probably safer in jail because he so God damned unlucky he would have had a freak accident just walking the streets. I mean that is one kid that shouldn't bother to play the lottery if all those things happened. Either he did it or the universe HATES him.
dude thanks for this post. I lived in the area at the time and remember it happening very well. I remember the concessions your school district was making for him. but I left tolna hill shortly there after and haven't been back. I forgot about it for years. I never found out if he was found guilty or not. until a few weeks ago I came across an article on it totally randomly. for about a month I haven't been able to figure out if he was innocent or not, but if what you say here is true, he was guilty.
Dwitman_no_relat ion

Mountain View, CA

#583 Mar 23, 2016
I am reading this and about this for the first time and I keep reading how blood splatter on Zach's sweatshirt and his bloody socks make him guilty.??? There is documentation from the 911 call that states that dispatch had asked Zach to turn his brother over to see if he was still breathing. Zach refused that request twice before doing what he was told. Given the extent of the injuries on Greg, how much blood was already lost, did anyone stop to think that blood might have splattered on his sweatshirt when he turned his brother over? Is it possible that Greg was still bleeding out and bled on Zach? As for who went in and out of the house... The guilty verdict comes from everyone hearing about or reading about how those bloody footprints were supposedly found. I do not remember reading that the investigators picked that up with a naked eye. The substance used to detect blood also detects other chemicals and since it was out to a "hot tub" and back to the house, wouldn't the chemicals from the hot tub show up? And wouldn't that be the entrance the family would use to re enter the house? I honestly do not know how this child was convicted of killing his brother. Another person said "he might have had a psychotic breakdown" and "just look at him in his picture". This is not fair to say. Zach was never diagnosed with any type of behavior disorder. And how do you think you would look after spending 15 of your young years in a State Correctional facility for a crime you did not commit, let alone the conviction of murder on your own younger brother. It is also possible that Zach did not hear anything because he had the audio on his computer, if he was even on it during that time and not asleep. Could have been listening to music on it to fall asleep if he wasn't feeling well. That would explain why he didn't hear the phone ring the first time. Wakes up to the sound of the phone, turns his audio down or even off, answers the phone but doesn't hear anything until he hangs up. Because now, the house is silent except for the struggle. Someone may have been in the house not knowing Zach was upstairs.
I am no relation to this family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police log: Boy, 11, in critical condition afte... (Nov '08) Thu NoQuarter 36
News York man arrested for DUI twice in one day (Nov '10) May 15 Real Adam chirico 35
Church revival May 9 Shawn 1
News Prison for York heroin dealer who sold deadly dose May 4 Justellnthetruth 1
News Police: 33 cited, 9 arrested at 'illegala Apr 30 Justellnthetruth 1
News Obama kicks off six-day European tour in Ireland (May '11) Apr '17 R12 Freon 40
News Police: Girl, 15, raped and held captive by Han... (Oct '09) Apr '17 joyjoy06 53

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages