Death row inmate Kevin Dowling seeks ...

Death row inmate Kevin Dowling seeks new trial

There are 33 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Death row inmate Kevin Dowling seeks new trial. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Living under a stay of execution and already rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court, convicted killer Kevin Brian Dowling is seeking a new trial in York County for the October 1997 murder of art shop owner Jennifer ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Statistical Junkie

Oviedo, FL

#23 Aug 29, 2012
TOOclose wrote:
Let him BURN!!!!!! He took away a wife and mother. Why should he get another chance?
You should know that death penalty trials (from the onset) cost 20x as much. Point being--it is more costly to tax payers and serves no benefit. Closure to the victims families can be obtained just as much by locking up the perpetrators to life. Why should taxpayers be held hostage by the overpriced costs of death penalty cases? Do your research before spreading nonsense.
Statistical Junkie

Oviedo, FL

#24 Aug 29, 2012
CEB wrote:
This is another case of too much wasted time and money. This man killed this lady to prevent her from testifying that he raped her. He went out of his way to make a fake video as an alibi. He has wasted enough of our tax dollars on appeals. He has lost all appeals up to and including the U.S. Supreme Court. Now he wants to try some jerk knee tactics to save his sorry ***. I wish that the bleeding hearts that are against capitol punishment would at least let the people that are guilty for sure not be allowed to waste time with all these appeals and just get the executions finished. It would save the victims families and the rest of society a lot of time and anquish.
You should know that death penalty trials (from the onset) cost 20x as much. Point being--it is more costly to tax payers and serves no benefit. Closure to the victims families can be obtained just as much by locking up the perpetrators to life. Why should taxpayers be held hostage by the overpriced costs of death penalty cases? Do your research before spreading nonsense.
Huh

York, PA

#26 Aug 31, 2012
Statistical Junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Now when you spread that cost over 40+ years of incarceration, how do they compare? It cost a lot to keep a killer locked up. Then you add the medical and dental costs, it all adds up and I can personally guarantee that once a person is executed, they will never commit another crime unlike being locked up where they can escape.
drew mack

Lafayette Hill, PA

#27 Dec 2, 2012
I do not believe in the death penalty, but I believe that there are alot of a**holes like Montero. Also, give me a brake with your blah, blah bo hoo bull****. I think most cops are not normal people and they get on a power trip with that badge. But, you must be a moron. He did it periot. He killed a 16 year old kid, that's it. Was he too much a b****. I hope that he is going to spend the res of his natual life in prison taking it and swallowing. I you ever seen this kid? he weights a buck 35 wet. He won't have that gun in his hand to protect himself. He should just find himself a life mate to get with. At least he'll spend time doing nothing but wash his boyfriends underware.
drew mack

Lafayette Hill, PA

#28 Dec 3, 2012
The truth survives,
You already knew this kid? And yet your family members did nothing. I understand that you were juvenile, but some adults should have taken him to a wood shed and helped him out.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#29 Dec 3, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Now when you spread that cost over 40+ years of incarceration, how do they compare? It cost a lot to keep a killer locked up. Then you add the medical and dental costs, it all adds up and I can personally guarantee that once a person is executed, they will never commit another crime unlike being locked up where they can escape.
Do a little research.

Chances of escape from a life sentence is about nil.

Cost of incarceration runs around $30,000 ~$40,000 a year. Go for the high side, add in inflation and for a 40 year incarceration, you're looking at <> $1.8 Million. Few ever last that long in prison.

Cost to taxpayers, for just the first appeal will run in excess of $2 Million. Appeals run through state appeals court, state Superior court, and then the gauntlet of Federal courts, each one correspondingly more expensive to the taxpayers.

While I am not against the death penalty in principle, it is so very much cheaper to the taxpayers to hand down a life sentence for which there is no mandatory appeal.

Personally, on a death penalty conviction, I'd render a 44 magnum hollow point to the brain pan, right there in the court room and be done with it. End of sentence, no expensive appeals, and one hell of a deterrent. But then, I'm not a Liberal.
The Truth Survives

Landisburg, PA

#30 Dec 3, 2012
drew mack wrote:
The truth survives,
You already knew this kid? And yet your family members did nothing. I understand that you were juvenile, but some adults should have taken him to a wood shed and helped him out.
You're disgusting. Plain and simple. To sit there and judge a child who was abused, for not speaking up until after her abuser was behind bars. Well, you've certainly put me in my place! I don't know whether to laugh at your presumptuousness or cry for how lacking in empathy and compassion people like you are. It's people like you that made make my family, to this day, fear anyone recognizing our last name. Because people blame us.

Your wood shed comment is so disgusting I am appalled. Yes, I'm sure adults in my family taking him out and ending the issue would have been no less traumatic. How ironic for you to make such a sick remark. I'm only on this thread because my mother was attacked here, and because people don't understand that while I will forever feel ill for what the Myers family went through, those of us left in this family are victims too. You have no idea the hell we go through to this day. And don't think for a second that we don't wonder regularly, "What if I had done this?" Fact is, there's nothing we could have done, and if you knew at ALL what you were talking about, you'd know that.

I'm no "kid". I'm 27 and still in therapy 15 years later.

But hey, you know. Thanks for the really kind and compassionate remarks. Really helps to restore the faith in humanity that is already hard to have in the world I grew up in.

Try and refocus on who you should be flinging negativity at. The fact that people are here attacking the families involved is wrong.
kenny

Ashburn, VA

#31 Aug 9, 2013
I'm not sure I believe it's right for the state to bear the burden on behalf of its people for the killing of another person even if convicted
Having said that, this man assaulted the woman and then killed her when she was due to testify
I was very angry. It is wicked.
I think shoot the man before they change the law - and good riddance.
Sol

Kelvin Grove, Australia

#32 Nov 13, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully agree with you. It was calculated that it costs more per day in prison (taking into account all institutional costs plus the costs you mentioned) than to keep him at a good hotel per day.
forever karaleigh

State College, PA

#33 Mar 14, 2014
Mayhem wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Bob, your nobility just tickles me pink. If life where only that simple.
Save the taxpayers money and just shoot the bastard in the head.
wow.
so a compassionate and continued search for truth in justice is too simple an answer to one of life's hard questions, but putting a bullet into someone's brain as a matter of course (and without due process) is not???
you might want to cover up...
your ignorance is showing.
Anonymous

Brussels, Belgium

#34 Aug 1, 2014
This is a case of corruption and there is much evidence of it. The trial he had was not a fair one, guilty or not.
Diablo

Hanmer, Canada

#35 Nov 27, 2015
Cold, heartless, brain dead killer!
Eds

Phoenix, AZ

#37 Apr 15, 2016
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you would have to calculate the time from when the execution took place until their actual death of old age to find the extra time and cost to sustain a prisoner. You can't go from conviction to natural death to find the extra cost, that's redundant. Trust me, if you calculate trial and appeals for the DP, it far outweighs natural life. And just as you can be sure that an executed murderer will never kill again, you can also be sure that an innocent executed person will never murder or for that matter, have a quality life they deserve. Ultimately, the DP is for vengeance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lost Civil War gold in Pennsylvania woods? (Mar '08) Jun 25 Confederate Desce... 30
ROBERT R HOWARD scumbag convicted crack dealer ... Jun 7 Juan the landscaper 1
News PPL unveils rebate program to reduce peak elect... (May '11) Jun 2 Blorgon 3
News State police: Woman kicks troopers in head with... (May '11) May '16 notcrazy 56
Unidentified Noise in East York May '16 Sonic 2
Review: D And M Auto Sales (Jan '15) May '16 The 1who blew the... 8
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) May '16 Laura 23

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages