Best way to lower property taxes

Best way to lower property taxes

Posted in the Manchester Forum

Greenacresusa

Gwynn Oak, MD

#1 Aug 26, 2010
I know that there is some information on our tax bills to request a reduction of the assested value of our homes to reduce the amount of the tax bills. But who here has done it and what really works? What procedures did you go through, who did you contact, what documentation did you need? With homes not selling or selling for a much reduced price I feel that we shouldn't be charged so much when the houses are not as valuable as they were just a short while ago.

Thanks!
Greenacresusa

Gwynn Oak, MD

#2 Sep 2, 2010
Bump!! Anybody?
Snakeman

Croydon, Australia

#3 Sep 2, 2010
Our property taxes go up all the time, but if people know there's snakes in the area, values drop as well.
Our company http://www.snakehandlingcourses.com.au trains real estate developers to catch snakes to remove them from housing estates and environs before potential buyers see them!
Uusually they succeed in keeping out snakes long enough to sell all their properties.
Snakeman
Greenacresusa

Gwynn Oak, MD

#4 Sep 3, 2010
What the heck was that? LOL
Betty Morris

Glen Rock, PA

#5 Sep 8, 2010
When I moved here from Balto., the taxes were allready high....but now they are way out there. I went to my borough office to see about being re-accested, WELL when I read what you had to go thru to get that, I was floored !!!!!!!!! It was 5 PAGES of things you had to do. You had to get the home appraised($300 to $500) go to court, & several other things........ I am a 72yr old widow,and cannot afford that,they REALLY make it hard for you,besides, I have to put that $300-500 towards my Next years TAXES !!!!!!!!!! Bye the way, my home has dropped $100,000 in value & they still accested my home at last years price.
Greenacresusa

Baltimore, MD

#6 Sep 9, 2010
Know what you mean. I built this house back in 1984. Taxes weren't too bad but as more and more people moved up this way house values and taxes keep going up and up. Now that the depression has hit (it's a depression not a recession no what what the White House says) the value of my house has dropped as everyone's has. So the taxes on it should drop correspondingly!! But I doubt that will happen without a lot of work on my part.

Since: Sep 10

Ellicott City, MD

#7 Sep 9, 2010
I don't think you have to have your home appraised. That would certainly be a basis for reduction, but I read through the process thinking I would try to get it reduced. It's more like putting an argument together. If you can site specific homes that are like yours in your neighborhood/area that have sold for less, that's proof of a decrease in value. The reason I never filed was because I bought my house 5 years ago at the peak of the bubble and the assessed value was less than I paid, so it's a little difficult saying it's not worth what I paid for it - even if it is, it's only gone down a little in value ($20K) and that's not much in terms of a tax break. You have to file the forms before the first of the year as I recall. The biggest obstacle may be that homes are not selling so getting good comparisons are difficult, which is where an appraisal comes in. My mom successfully reduced her home assessment a few years ago in Baltimore County and just had to write up the rationale behind why she thought it was not worth what she was assessed at. She got it reduced by $100,000.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clifford Hoyt accident? (Aug '13) Mar 23 CooperTA 19
Christopher Anyonis Mar 19 Rya Annaleese 2
Hodge Podge Farm, an animal rescue, running GoF... Jan '17 Terry Webb 2
Tim Bagley Jan '17 Greywater 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 23
in search of info (Jul '16) Jul '16 sundance1 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 PFC Jones 19

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages