richie farmer and half million gone

Posted in the Manchester Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RICHIE RICHER

Madisonville, KY

#1 Jan 13, 2012
About a half-million dollars in state property apparently has disappeared from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture or cannot be accounted for properly.
According to inventory records obtained by the Herald-Leader, more than 100 state computers are missing, including some issued personally to former Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer, who left office earlier this year after serving eight years.
The state issued Farmer four new Dell laptops in 2010, and he has not returned any of them to the Department of Agriculture, according to the inventory records.
New Agriculture Commissioner James Comer was sworn in Jan. 2. On Wednesday, Comer ó in a joint news conference with new state Auditor Adam Edelen ó announced that Comer had asked Edelen to do a sweeping review of the Agriculture Department.
Comer and Edelen acknowledged Wednesday that there was concern about missing state equipment. Comer's office gave the list of lost property to the auditors.
"This is further evidence of the cloud of suspicion that hangs over the Department of Agriculture," Edelen said Thursday about the records of lost property. "My office is certainly aware of this part of a much broader and sweeping investigation."
Comer said in a statement Thursday: "Our employees are in the process of compiling information and working with the auditor's office to assist with their examination of the previous administration. There are going to be lots of questions through this process, but we are going to get answers to them and we will accept nothing less than full transparency and accountability."
When Comer took office, he terminated 16 non-merit employees, including Farmer's girlfriend, Stephanie Sandmann. She had been hired to a $60,000-a-year job in the Agriculture Department in the waning days of Farmer's unsuccessful campaign as running mate to gubernatorial candidate and Senate President David Williams. Those 16 former employees turned over all state property not already reported as missing.
Farmer is the only person who has not returned all department-issued equipment, according to the inventory record, said Holly VonLuehrte, general counsel at the Department of Agriculture.
Attempts to contact Farmer on Thursday were unsuccessful. No one answered the door at his Frankfort home, although vehicles were in his driveway.
Some of the state property was last seen at Farmer's home, according to the department's records, including several laptops. One of the $979 laptops was issued May 2, 2010, and two more were issued the next day.
Altogether, at least $10,842 in computers issued to Farmer or directly to his office appear to be gone.
In all, the list of missing inventory obtained from the Department of Agriculture details 171 items worth about $334,000, including computers, digital cameras, printers, copiers and other equipment.
Some of the lost equipment might date to the late 1990s under the administration of Farmer's predecessor, Billy Ray Smith.
Whether any of the losses were reported to the state is unclear.
An additional 103 items worth $146,000 that were supposed to have been given back to the state as surplus do not have the required disposition numbers that acknowledge they have been returned. Department of Agriculture officials are unable to say whether the goods are missing or if, in fact, they have been returned.
The Finance and Administration Cabinet, which administers state surplus equipment, could not immediately say how many of the items might have been returned. Cindy Lanham, Finance Cabinet spokeswoman, said they were able to find two items ó a laser printer and a computer ó that had been returned on May 16, 2010.
Without proper records, which appear to be missing from the Agriculture Department, looking for equipment returned before 2009 will be "like looking for a needle in a haystack," Lanham said.
Smith, the former agriculture commissioner, served on Comer's transition team and said Thursday that he did not remember any significant losses of
Hmmmm

Buckner, KY

#2 Jan 13, 2012
Somebody has some explaining to do. Maybe criminal charges pending?
CHEESER

Madisonville, KY

#3 Jan 13, 2012
RICHIE RICHER

Madisonville, KY

#4 Jan 13, 2012
WTF

Somerset, KY

#5 Jan 13, 2012
big blue fan

Fulton, KY

#6 Jan 13, 2012
bottom givein 2 to 5 yrs.
joke

London, KY

#7 Jan 13, 2012
its people like this guy that gives clay co a bad name. it not any wonder clay co has such a drug problem its a guy like this one that gets in a position and could help this county but all he dose is stuff his own pocket before that he runs around on his wife now look at him. lost his wife got a name as stealing from us the taxpayers and i hope he is punished and look how he has tarnished our county. at one time richie was the one guy our county was proud of but look what he has done
UK LISA

Madisonville, KY

#8 Jan 13, 2012
WTF wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/0 1/13/2027629/exclusive-kentuck y-joe-of-survivor.html
This is hilarious!!!
Stop crying racial discrimination, Jackson! As a person who lost their job, I find your allegations to be untrue and right pathetic. I have to ask you, Mr. Jackson why didn't you cry racial discrimination while Mr. Farmer had you on the payroll making $4, 813 a month? All this time you didn't say a word. You had every right to be "FIRED"!

There are people out there who are loosing their jobs - jobs that they were qualified for and here, you were given a job just because you where buddy, buddy with Mr. Farmer's.

People like you and your cronies (who were fried along with you) make me sick!!!

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/13/2027629/ex...
Hounchell

Dyer, TN

#9 Jan 14, 2012
UK LISA wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop crying racial discrimination, Jackson! As a person who lost their job, I find your allegations to be untrue and right pathetic. I have to ask you, Mr. Jackson why didn't you cry racial discrimination while Mr. Farmer had you on the payroll making $4, 813 a month? All this time you didn't say a word. You had every right to be "FIRED"!
There are people out there who are loosing their jobs - jobs that they were qualified for and here, you were given a job just because you where buddy, buddy with Mr. Farmer's.
People like you and your cronies (who were fried along with you) make me sick!!!
Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/13/2027629/ex...
I donít know about a ďbuddyĒ, both are from Clay County and about the same age. I know Jackson is an acquaintance of Farmer but they really donít socialize. They speak to each other occasionally, but thatís about it. When Jackson sought employment with the state Iím sure itís possible Farmer put in a good word for him.
taxpayer

Madisonville, KY

#10 Jan 14, 2012
PISSED-OFF

London, KY

#11 Jan 15, 2012
I think the TAXPAYERS should demand some answers. For it is the TAXPAYERS money that all these IDIOTS are using and wasting paying all their friends big salaries while the rest of us are suffering. If he is found GUILTY i hope they knock the back of the jail out with his arrogant ass. If all this happened in the last eight years if he had been lt. Gov. there wouldnt have been a damn thing left in the state. I hope the Lex. Herald stays on his ass throughout this whole process.
Pitifully

United States

#12 Jan 15, 2012
Every body knows mark was his drug runner it was all about the drugs with him fact
kathy maggie

Madisonville, KY

#13 Jan 15, 2012
That is state gvt. for you.He should have to pay all of it back.Our local state gvt,is the same. They say one is is working when they aren,t.They can have 2 or 3 babies and when they have no sick timever miss a paycheck .Come in at 12 and time sheet shows 8.To me thats stealing to,but you will always find them in church Then they hire more family to sit and play on the computer and pay them a good salary.
Rex

New Lebanon, OH

#15 Jan 19, 2012
Come on, it was on the news that Ritchie personally turned in some computers!! Not all the stuff was turned in!!! Wonder if he asked the new Ag director for a job?
hey there

London, KY

#16 Jan 20, 2012
Pitifully wrote:
Every body knows mark was his drug runner it was all about the drugs with him fact
i have no first hand knowledge to say its a fact, but i have heard that about from several people a few years ago that the jackson guy got drugs for richie.
Ribbons and Bows Inc

New York, NY

#17 Jan 20, 2012
If Mr. Farmer was on drugs..that would explain a lot of his actions.
READER

Doniphan, MO

#18 Jan 21, 2012
Just wondering why the local Manchester did not report on this story. If it had been anyone else it would have been front page news. I want to thank the Lex. Herald for not being afraid to report on the corruption in Clay Co. This so called newspaper only reports what it wants on who it wants.
Truth

Manchester, KY

#19 Jan 21, 2012
READER wrote:
Just wondering why the local Manchester did not report on this story. If it had been anyone else it would have been front page news. I want to thank the Lex. Herald for not being afraid to report on the corruption in Clay Co. This so called newspaper only reports what it wants on who it wants.
What would we all do without that liberal rag, the Lexington Hearld???? They just report what they want to just like all the rest. They have an agenda and play it well.
too good

United States

#20 Jan 21, 2012
He needs money...
True

London, KY

#21 Jan 21, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>What would we all do without that liberal rag, the Lexington Hearld???? They just report what they want to just like all the rest. They have an agenda and play it well.
True and they have certainly let the state know their feelings towards Lil Ole Richie and they definitely aint good either !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 25 min CCzar 166,447
What do you think of Clay County Sheriff Kevin ... (Dec '12) 1 hr College collage c... 62
Eclipse 2017 4 hr huh 4
Jessica mills 5 hr Candy 2
G-dezarn aka axl rose and drake Sizemore 6 hr Peggy Napier 18
Partner in crime 11 hr Bearded 47
eva Lee Davis Mon In the know 15

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages