Britton Funeral Home WITHOUT Mr. Jim ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
parent

London, KY

#21 Feb 28, 2013
Speaking up wrote:
Somebody needs to grow a heart in that funeral home. I attended service for a young lady who had been murdered, leaving her family with the burden of funeral expenses. I overheard one of the funeral directors tell her family, if you don't have the money we can stop these services. The family was relying on donations to help cover the down payment obviously, the donations weren't enough. If not for the kindness of a dear woman paying the balance, those services would have been stopped. I realize business is business but over charging for coffins and use of the matchbox rooms is just plain greedy. Those coffins are marked up 10 times compared to what you can order from wal'mart. Who in this poor county is prepared for the death of a very young lady? Tragedy will happen but nobody prepares for the unthinkable. Who has 5-10 thousand lying around for any tragedy? Most people living here are lucky to pay their electricity bill.
Boo hoo! There's such a thing as insurance you know. I know times are hard and money is tight sometimes, but you have to do what you have to do. Being prepared, ever heard of it?? Since this family didn't have 5-10 thousand laying around for a tragedy, why did they expect someone else to have it and donate it? Your post was a crock of shit and a escape goat for people doing what has to be done instead of whining around trying to pass the buck to someone else! Main line, be responsible!
DYINGNOTTO GOTHERE

Owenton, KY

#22 Feb 28, 2013
I personally saw a side to MR.Trosper at a recent funeral that i'd never seen.He was very rude to a family member without any cause at all.I am from a large family with a pot load of relatives;we had always chosen Brittons because of their being so helpful.I personally contributed his rudeness to some type of dementia maybe.In the past our family had remarkable service from Mr.Trosper. In response to parent i'm glad you are so well prepared;I have worked my entire life and am not.Where is your empathy.......shame on you!Don't and have never taken anything for free;but you could def end up down;lbe thankful you are where you are!But don't assume everyone is as fortunate as you.
yep

Chesterfield, MO

#23 Feb 28, 2013
It has never been the same sense Calvin Britton and his wife was there they were the nices people I ever met and you could stay at the funeral home till 11pm and now look at it 9 oclock and you have to leave. They would always talk to the family you always had coffee. If you took your love one home or to the church they were there with the family bringing food and coffee. I remember all of this they were great people. You had a funeral money or no money. There is a funeral home in knox county that will take for a very small amount of money. Brittons kelp a lady up there because the family could not come up with $2ooo.oo and the family had the one from Knox Co. come and get her. she was fixed very nice and her funeral was only $3ooo.oo. If one can do that the others can to. They will take the love one any where the family wants to take them.
parent

London, KY

#24 Mar 1, 2013
DYINGNOTTO GOTHERE wrote:
I personally saw a side to MR.Trosper at a recent funeral that i'd never seen.He was very rude to a family member without any cause at all.I am from a large family with a pot load of relatives;we had always chosen Brittons because of their being so helpful.I personally contributed his rudeness to some type of dementia maybe.In the past our family had remarkable service from Mr.Trosper. In response to parent i'm glad you are so well prepared;I have worked my entire life and am not.Where is your empathy.......shame on you!Don't and have never taken anything for free;but you could def end up down;lbe thankful you are where you are!But don't assume everyone is as fortunate as you.
so who's going to have the burden of getting you buried?
Dora

Manchester, KY

#25 Mar 1, 2013
Personally, I think Brittons Funeral home is a very caring business. Anyone that goes in there with no insurance they will work with them and let payments be made. Unless you are a select few that have had that chance and didn't pay them. You can't run a business on charity. They are very caring and considerate. The best thing I can tell anyone is always be prepared for the worst. We all know we are going to die, we just don't know when. Get life insurance, it isn't that expensive. I got it on my children as soon as they where born. Thru globe life I pay 18 dollars a month for 10,000 coverage on all of them. Anyone can afford that I don't care what income you got. It cost 78.00 a year for 10,000.00 coverage on my husband also...we aren't well off but we are prepared.
DYINGNOTTO GOTHERE

Owenton, KY

#26 Mar 1, 2013
Hey parent, like I said I have worked my entire life and always had life insurance but could not carry it over after retirement.But I do have a thing called money!So hopefully I can get what I need;but I do know lots of ppl that are not as fortunate;and spent my life fighting for the poor and underdog.If you would open your eyes,you could see! Have a blessed day!
parent

London, KY

#27 Mar 1, 2013
DYINGNOTTO GOTHERE wrote:
Hey parent, like I said I have worked my entire life and always had life insurance but could not carry it over after retirement.But I do have a thing called money!So hopefully I can get what I need;but I do know lots of ppl that are not as fortunate;and spent my life fighting for the poor and underdog.If you would open your eyes,you could see! Have a blessed day!
my only point is that there are to many people that are capable of getting insurance so that their funeral expenses can be taken care of without leaving that financial burden on someone else. I do feel for the truly poor and those who can't do any better. I do not have any smpathy for those who just simply chose to waste money and never worry about what will happen down the road.
DYINGNOTTO GOTHERE

Owenton, KY

#28 Mar 1, 2013
Thanks parent for your input,so true!But there does exist a large part of our country that can not do any better;for these ppl I give my heart and my time!
claycountian

London, KY

#29 Mar 2, 2013
Unfortunately i have had the duty of dealing with both of our fine funeral homes, and i must say that both are excellant. We are very lucky to have both places. As for Jim, i have dealt with him and found him to be honest, and most caring. One thing to remember it is still a business that has to make a profit. If he has retired, then i wish him the best.
High Funeral Cost

London, KY

#30 Mar 3, 2013
Its easy to eliminate a ridiculous funeral expense. You can be cremated, have a memorial at your church for about a thousand dollars. I could afford a traditional funeral, but have elected to be cremated. I arranged it all and paid a company in Somerset to cremate my remains. The cost was around a thousand dollars. If my family wants a memorial service, have it at our church. I would rather give ten thousand dollars to my grand children than the funeral home.
Um Huh

Flat Lick, KY

#31 Mar 3, 2013
High Funeral Cost wrote:
Its easy to eliminate a ridiculous funeral expense. You can be cremated, have a memorial at your church for about a thousand dollars. I could afford a traditional funeral, but have elected to be cremated. I arranged it all and paid a company in Somerset to cremate my remains. The cost was around a thousand dollars. If my family wants a memorial service, have it at our church. I would rather give ten thousand dollars to my grand children than the funeral home.
http://www.weitzlux.com/cremationfraud_1176.h...

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/21/us/inquiry-...
noisy girl

London, KY

#32 Mar 3, 2013
well all i know i use th e rominger funeral home and always will , he has always been greaty till clavin britton died and maxine , they where fine people , he looks like the devil with horns ,
Shame

Chesterfield, MO

#33 Mar 3, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>Boo hoo! There's such a thing as insurance you know. I know times are hard and money is tight sometimes, but you have to do what you have to do. Being prepared, ever heard of it?? Since this family didn't have 5-10 thousand laying around for a tragedy, why did they expect someone else to have it and donate it? Your post was a crock of shit and a escape goat for people doing what has to be done instead of whining around trying to pass the buck to someone else! Main line, be responsible!
You stupid piece of crap is what you are.They said they were attending a funeral of a friend and not her family.How do you know the person commenting isn't a responsible person and has burial insurance.I bet you don't have a dime, you sorry no good for nothing smart aleck
Southern Planter

United States

#34 Aug 11, 2013
Just saw this string of nonsense. People will spend more time and preparation for Saturday night than they will planning for the inevitable. The statement that caskets are marked up 10 times reveals the remarkable ignorance of an uniformed blowhard pursuing another agenda. As for Walmart caskets, it would be interesting to know what their payment plans are. It's unlikely they'll let you take one out the door with the assurance that you'll make payments when the donations come in. It's also fairly certain that the Waltons or even the store manager are not going to respond at 3:00 a.m. to a death scene, a hospital, or a nursing home. They are most certainly not going to respond to people who think they are entitled to everything for nothing. If tatoos could be pawned, there might not be a payment issue.

This is a most unfortunate example of how small minded vitriol plays to the incorrect stereotypes of our region.
human

New Lebanon, OH

#36 Aug 11, 2013
Jim Trosper was very understanding with our family. He came over 800 miles to bring a loved one to his funeral home!!! We had no money but he worked with us. He never complained if we missed a payment. He was very nice to our family!! This man has a heart of gold. I would use his service again! He has a very nice man, Danny Finley to take over for him!!! People complain about anything and everything in this town. Makes me wonder if they deserve anything in Manchester!!!Just my opinion!!!
brittons

Middlesboro, KY

#37 Aug 11, 2013
My brother died his Gf had no insurance and I had to bury him they was understanding with us and Brandon samples was vey nice to us he has known us for many years and I wouldn't want to go any where else so shut up
true

Macon, GA

#38 Aug 12, 2013
I agree with Yep, if one funeral home can charge 3000.00 for a funeral so can others or at least set up something reasonable. Yep was right you can go to Knox County and have a loved one taken care of for 3000.00 dollars . I think its a shame that both our home town funeral homes take advantage of people in their time of need most of Clay County people are very lucky to provide food and shelter for their family unless BURERAL INSURANCE. I have worked all my life and guess what I am very fortunate to have 5000.00 dollars of life insurance . GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 48 min Trump To Resign 818
How honest is JIMMY jr SMITH? 1 hr I know 6
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr ChromiuMan 165,739
GEORGE DEZARN aka AXL ROSE UNDER ARREST 8 hr Drag up 5
Mandy Sizemore is a who......... 15 hr tiffanys 2
get off this site and go to church (Jan '14) 16 hr The Buzz 22
Preacher and his family vacation 17 hr Pewsitter 1

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages