Robert C Stivers Bypass

Posted in the Manchester Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
On my mind

Louisville, KY

#1 Oct 21, 2013
Ok, Maybe it’s just me, but I have a real problem with our Senator, Robert Stivers. He secured a $37 Million grant, from the state, for the city of Manchester. What do you suppose he wants to do with the money? He wants to run 5 lanes through Garrard, staring at Valero (by Wendy’s) all the way to the Railroad tracks near Dairy Queen then 3 lanes to Lockards Creek Fire Dept. Really? Eliminating small businesses from this area reduces the recurring tax revenue for our community. 50 people will lose their jobs if this goes through. In addition, there will be no more Quickie Mart, Delbert’s Pawn Shop, Hot Rod Service Center, CBS, Wildcat Tobacco, Little Caesars and Mike’s Quick Stop. This affects people in our community in a big way. We are eradicating small businesses, the heart of our town. All these places would have to relocate. He is not even proposing that the area be used to build schools, factories, or hospitals… absolutely nothing generating revenue to replace what will be eliminated. It is simply not necessary. Here is what I think IS NECESSARY: How about 2 lanes on the Hal Rogers Parkway (the DEATH trap)? How about putting guardrails on Route 11 to Barbourville? That may make too much sense for our jolly Politian. In addition, I heard he is trying to strong arm people in Frankfort to get what he wants. He was heard telling someone at the State Highway Department that if they could not get this project done, he would fire everyone of them and find people that could.
On my mind

Louisville, KY

#2 Oct 21, 2013
Your thoughts?
Stan

London, KY

#3 Oct 21, 2013
Does this project provide the infrastrcuture development for economic development, YES. Would this project cause some logistical problems for some compensated property owners, YES.

Geesh, give me a break......everyone growls, gripes, and complains about wanting significant growth and opporunity, and when such a fabulous long-term development project occurs, here we go again, nay sayers and debbie downers....

We have been neglected for over 100 years since the turn of the last century when the rail systems hauled out timber and coal for barrons from the North, who got rich from the Appalchian mountain resources.

We have an opportunity to develop and grow moving forward, so, please support these important projects.

That being said, I agree we definitely need full four lanes from London to Hazard......running thru Manchester..........
john

Manchester, KY

#4 Oct 21, 2013
wow that's insane!
john

Manchester, KY

#5 Oct 21, 2013
i agree with you the money needs to be used in manchester not on the by pass the roads in manchester could also use some fresh black top
jeremy

Manchester, KY

#6 Oct 21, 2013
stan it might seem like a good ideal but you also gota look at the economic with obamacare in place no one will open a business and those who already have one if the Parkway offers these business big money they will take it and run and want open back up more then likely i dont see how this will help anything it will shut things down and more people will move off just like they have in the past to other locations let's face it manchester will always be manchester
josh

London, KY

#7 Oct 21, 2013
what do you mean manchester has been shut off to the world ? there's a road already going from hazard to london thru manchester and if their gonna do something like this it will take years and years i dont see it happening in this life time
Delete

Manchester, KY

#8 Oct 21, 2013
That part of Hwy 421 is the most congested unsafe part of manchester if manchester is ever to grow we must have better roads. Thats the most unsafe road to travel in all of Clay County and really needs to be widened. It'll happen within the next 5 years.
make room

Hazard, KY

#9 Oct 21, 2013
We have to make sure all the thousands of 1st of the monthers make their nasty way to town. Dam it off is what I say, 90% of them must live up that way.
My thoughs

Louisville, KY

#11 Oct 22, 2013
jeremy wrote:
stan it might seem like a good ideal but you also gota look at the economic with obamacare in place no one will open a business and those who already have one if the Parkway offers these business big money they will take it and run and want open back up more then likely i dont see how this will help anything it will shut things down and more people will move off just like they have in the past to other locations let's face it manchester will always be manchester
You are exactly right!!
Stan

Somerset, KY

#12 Oct 22, 2013
Delete, You are spot on correct.........It takes infrastructure development in order to grow and develop our community....as conversations continue to be had about I-66 and the Clay County Lake we will be well served by having a new roadway system in that section of the community.

I encourage everyone to think about the future and their kids and grandkids and if they want growth, development, and economic opportunity OR do they want continuous economic stagnation and a situation where our best and brightest continue to have to leave town to find work.

I encourage everyone to please dispense with the negative and try to channel some of that energy into constructive ideas and postive momentum.

Together we can accomplish more than if we bicker, fuss, and fight over trivial momentary items. Let's please take a look at the bigger picture.
funny

London, KY

#13 Oct 22, 2013
Stan don't take this wrong way but you know I was on here couple year ago telling you clay counties biggest problem was it access roads and you did get huff with me. You thought I was demeaning you good intentions when all I was doing was pointing out the main problem. Now if they could get the rail service to upgrade and maybe get a small airport, large lake you would see progress. I ran a business stan and access, location, workforce availability and future growth what gets companies attention. A better road system would have done much more if the parkway had been widened. To one saying road up Garrard the most dangerous must not travel that parkway, they times it dangerous to even park on the side of the road, fools pass on double yellow lines, try run you off road in the places where the passing lanes end.
Stan

Somerset, KY

#14 Oct 22, 2013
No doudt....infrastructure is needed....a four lane parkway would be fabulous......probably reduce accidents based upon driver error....in my opinion, the Clay County Lake would be the most important development in county history as it would provide water resources for economic development to include commercial, industrial, and residential development as well as provide a huge recreational resource and tourist attraction for sport fishing, boating, etc.......what would make it even better would be a Chief redbird State Resort Park....for tourist adventure trails and regional meetings and conference facilities.
funny wrote:
Stan don't take this wrong way but you know I was on here couple year ago telling you clay counties biggest problem was it access roads and you did get huff with me. You thought I was demeaning you good intentions when all I was doing was pointing out the main problem. Now if they could get the rail service to upgrade and maybe get a small airport, large lake you would see progress. I ran a business stan and access, location, workforce availability and future growth what gets companies attention. A better road system would have done much more if the parkway had been widened. To one saying road up Garrard the most dangerous must not travel that parkway, they times it dangerous to even park on the side of the road, fools pass on double yellow lines, try run you off road in the places where the passing lanes end.
Eat More Possum

Williamsburg, KY

#15 Oct 22, 2013
Stan wrote:
Delete, You are spot on correct.........It takes infrastructure development in order to grow and develop our community....as conversations continue to be had about I-66 and the Clay County Lake we will be well served by having a new roadway system in that section of the community.
I encourage everyone to think about the future and their kids and grandkids and if they want growth, development, and economic opportunity OR do they want continuous economic stagnation and a situation where our best and brightest continue to have to leave town to find work.
I encourage everyone to please dispense with the negative and try to channel some of that energy into constructive ideas and postive momentum.
Together we can accomplish more than if we bicker, fuss, and fight over trivial momentary items. Let's please take a look at the bigger picture.
I-66 was cancelled by state democrats several years ago, but there have been some recent proposals regarding the location and construction of a lake in Clay.
roadway

London, KY

#16 Oct 23, 2013
On my mind wrote:
Ok, Maybe it’s just me, but I have a real problem with our Senator, Robert Stivers. He secured a $37 Million grant, from the state, for the city of Manchester. What do you suppose he wants to do with the money? He wants to run 5 lanes through Garrard, staring at Valero (by Wendy’s) all the way to the Railroad tracks near Dairy Queen then 3 lanes to Lockards Creek Fire Dept. Really? Eliminating small businesses from this area reduces the recurring tax revenue for our community. 50 people will lose their jobs if this goes through. In addition, there will be no more Quickie Mart, Delbert’s Pawn Shop, Hot Rod Service Center, CBS, Wildcat Tobacco, Little Caesars and Mike’s Quick Stop. This affects people in our community in a big way. We are eradicating small businesses, the heart of our town. All these places would have to relocate. He is not even proposing that the area be used to build schools, factories, or hospitals… absolutely nothing generating revenue to replace what will be eliminated. It is simply not necessary. Here is what I think IS NECESSARY: How about 2 lanes on the Hal Rogers Parkway (the DEATH trap)? How about putting guardrails on Route 11 to Barbourville? That may make too much sense for our jolly Politian. In addition, I heard he is trying to strong arm people in Frankfort to get what he wants. He was heard telling someone at the State Highway Department that if they could not get this project done, he would fire everyone of them and find people that could.
my thoughts...well, first off there are more buisness than the ones you named...I hate barbourville road all together..even if it had guard rails...and I agree about parkway...ppl dont know how to drive on parkway..and overhearing R.S. telling highway dept to get on the ball...he shouldve told them..it came from the governor though..have you ever watch our highway dept workers...OMG...
mike

London, KY

#17 Oct 23, 2013
no worry the highway dept are so slow it will take years to happen lol
mike

London, KY

#18 Oct 23, 2013
i guess they would have to take the jail out too it's on that side of the road

Since: Oct 13

London, KY

#19 Oct 23, 2013
yall just relax and let our politicians and elected officials work some magic and try to bring something in here to replace all the coal jobs that they ran out of this area. It may take some time but maybe our kids will benefit in the coming years, at the very least they wont have to worry about getting run over by the car behind them on the way to school from goose rock. As far as businesses go, do you really think there wouldn't be a new Wal-Mart or Target or Cosco, Which all seem to go hand in hand with new road construction of this nature. I have a feeling the property value along the roadside will skyrocket, and if not we can call it the second longest yard sale in the state.
Really

Hazard, KY

#20 Oct 23, 2013
bears dad wrote:
yall just relax and let our politicians and elected officials work some magic and try to bring something in here to replace all the coal jobs that they ran out of this area. It may take some time but maybe our kids will benefit in the coming years, at the very least they wont have to worry about getting run over by the car behind them on the way to school from goose rock. As far as businesses go, do you really think there wouldn't be a new Wal-Mart or Target or Cosco, Which all seem to go hand in hand with new road construction of this nature. I have a feeling the property value along the roadside will skyrocket, and if not we can call it the second longest yard sale in the state.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't know Clay County. All this road work is happening only to better serve the thousands of nasty first of the month bums who come from that direction. Speed up traffic so they won't be put out of their comfort zones. Even though most are still in their pajamas. They are entitled to all this! plus cell phones, free food, drugs, big checks! Makes me so sick!!!!!

Since: Oct 13

London, KY

#21 Oct 23, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't know Clay County. All this road work is happening only to better serve the thousands of nasty first of the month bums who come from that direction. Speed up traffic so they won't be put out of their comfort zones. Even though most are still in their pajamas. They are entitled to all this! plus cell phones, free food, drugs, big checks! Makes me so sick!!!!!
If this is what you truly believe, my friend then your anger and hatred are misplaced. I am a moderate republican, always worked for what ive got which isn't much, and deal with these people on a daily basis. I have compassion for not all but most of them, and if you think that a free phone,$20 service,$40 snap, and $710 ssi is a big payday, then you are in the bubble. You are blaming the wrong people, but oh, you must like the way our govt is operating. If it made me that sick I think I would post my name to it instead of hiding behind that screen name. I cant wait to see the plans for the new road. Hope to hear from everyone, LARRY TOWNSLEY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min Yes and Amen 135,078
chicken fights last night 23 min Melos 2
Bigfoot Sighting in Clay County? (Oct '13) 1 hr Emerald 10
tabitha lovins 7 hr Frind of family 14
horse ceek fire department 8 hr WANTING TO KNOW 1
Tasha Treadway (Apr '13) 19 hr pooter 23
burning springs meth heads 19 hr name um 1
Manchester Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Manchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance