stay in clay group
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
spitfire

London, KY

#1 Sep 12, 2013
You know it is good these people are trying to make Manchester pretty but it wont make people stay here. Pretty paintings and cleaning window seals don't put food on peoples table. The people in this group already have established families and lives here. What about the younger generation of people? I had to listen to all these big ideas at DQ the other night. Nothing about how to create a future for the younger generations. If you want people to stay in clay give them a reason to do so. Old pictures and paintings of buildings isn't going to do it. Sorry
Speak Your Piece

Flat Lick, KY

#2 Sep 12, 2013
spitfire wrote:
You know it is good these people are trying to make Manchester pretty but it wont make people stay here. Pretty paintings and cleaning window seals don't put food on peoples table. The people in this group already have established families and lives here. What about the younger generation of people? I had to listen to all these big ideas at DQ the other night. Nothing about how to create a future for the younger generations. If you want people to stay in clay give them a reason to do so. Old pictures and paintings of buildings isn't going to do it. Sorry
Alright Schermerhorn, you have the floor.
Motivator

Madisonville, KY

#3 Sep 13, 2013
Making the town look better is a start to making the town prosper. Company's looking to relocate look for people that take pride in the town they live in. It's a start, and you should not put people down for wanting to help the community, no matter how they do it. I'm happy that this group is doing what they can to help. The murals look great and the restoration of the swinging bridge is fantastic. There is a new website ( www.claycountykentucky.org )that is helping to promote clay county. If we all work together, much can be accomplished. The mayor is having a meeting towards the end of the month, this is a great way to get ideas from the people on how to bring jobs here. Come to the meeting and bring positive thoughts and ideas with you. Negativity only promotes negativity.
Someone

London, KY

#4 Sep 13, 2013
I actually love what they are doing. I had much rather look at a painting than an old plain building.
spitfire

London, KY

#5 Sep 13, 2013
If the group is all for bringing jobs to Clay County and for the betterment of the people, than why didn't they seek out some of the skilled painters and carpenters in Clay County to carry out the mural painting and swinging bridge instead of people already established within the county and not currently struggling to find work? Hire someone needing work and pay them a little to help their family. You don't have to answer that because I'll answer it for you. The people doing the mural and the swinging bridge didn't have enough faith and confidence in anyone other than themselves to do the job right. Therefore they done it. Real great motivator mentality there. Also, how many public officials have attempted to bring jobs to this area? You see any yet? From the looks of things, pharmacies are going to be the largest employer in the county if they keep opening up in every abandoned building left behind by another failing business in our county.
Zipperaroosky

Flat Lick, KY

#6 Sep 13, 2013
Hey Spitfire you want a job here you go. It's just a 20 minute drive.

General Dynamics wanted 1000 employees originally to work at computers, etc., implementing the new Health Care Reform. They still have not found enough workers. These jobs pay more than $11.00 an hour, plus have insurance and vacation benefits. THEY STILL NEED DOZENS MORE WORKERS AT THIS MOMENT. People of Knox County, if you're looking for a good job, THIS IS IT! It is worth a little driving to get a decent job. You can fill-out an application online at the General Dynamics website. Plus, they have been having job fairs at the Laurel County Courthouse. A great company, decent wages...get yourself a job while they have plenty of openings.

My Guess is you do not want to work...Everyone wanting a job has a job or could get one. You do know you don't have to live in Laurel County to work over there.
dancingninetofiv e

Somerset, KY

#7 Sep 13, 2013
spitfire wrote:
and exactly why are you waiting on someone else to make the future for our young people better?Why are you depenting on someone to do it for you?
Stan

London, KY

#8 Sep 13, 2013
I, for one, am very excited about the level of civic and political activity that has been taking place over the last 2-3 years. We have seen change in political offices, we have seen a number of new businesses open up and make local hires, we have seen both the "stay in clay" grassroots organization work diligently to improve the aesthetic value of downtown and to develop an appreciation for our hometown heritage, we have seen the development of a "made in clay" cultural exposition now in it's second year, we have seen several community awareness marches from autism to drug resistance, as well as child abuse and domestic violence prevention, and community fitness programs and race events...etc..

Nobody can honestly deny we are doing good things, things that hve never happened before, good things that good communities do to promote themselves and improve the lives of their citizens.

We need additional infrastructure projects such as the Clay County Lake project, effective economic development recruitment for light manufacturing for the the industrial park, additional eco-tourism promotion, etc.....

We have generations of corruption, poverty, and despair to work thru to improve our community, but will due diligence, voter vigilence, holding city, county, and board of education offiicals accountable for leadership we can make a slow and steady march toward progress...

I, for one, refuse to give up, shut up, and go along to get along....my children, your children, and our people deserve a great place to live, learn, and work....

Together we can do better......get involved, go to meetings, be a part of the most significant CHANGE to ever happen in our hometown........
We have more work to do to improve our community
Johnny Come Lately

Flat Lick, KY

#9 Sep 13, 2013
Stan wrote:
I, for one, am very excited about the level of civic and political activity that has been taking place over the last 2-3 years. We have seen change in political offices, we have seen a number of new businesses open up and make local hires, we have seen both the "stay in clay" grassroots organization work diligently to improve the aesthetic value of downtown and to develop an appreciation for our hometown heritage, we have seen the development of a "made in clay" cultural exposition now in it's second year, we have seen several community awareness marches from autism to drug resistance, as well as child abuse and domestic violence prevention, and community fitness programs and race events...etc..
Nobody can honestly deny we are doing good things, things that hve never happened before, good things that good communities do to promote themselves and improve the lives of their citizens.
We need additional infrastructure projects such as the Clay County Lake project, effective economic development recruitment for light manufacturing for the the industrial park, additional eco-tourism promotion, etc.....
We have generations of corruption, poverty, and despair to work thru to improve our community, but will due diligence, voter vigilence, holding city, county, and board of education offiicals accountable for leadership we can make a slow and steady march toward progress...
I, for one, refuse to give up, shut up, and go along to get along....my children, your children, and our people deserve a great place to live, learn, and work....
Together we can do better......get involved, go to meetings, be a part of the most significant CHANGE to ever happen in our hometown........
We have more work to do to improve our community
People ain't stupid teabagger.
Downtown

Vicco, KY

#10 Sep 13, 2013
I love the mural on the Rice Asher Building, but the building is in such a bad shape that it needs to be torn down. That building is a real eyesore to downtown. That is one of the first buildings you notice when you come to downtown.
Stan

London, KY

#11 Sep 14, 2013
Me too. I think the murals are nice and certainly help display some appreaciation of heritage.

We still need buidling code enforcement and demolition orders when property owners will not/refuse to rehab or demolish dangerous structures downtown. Maybe they will wish they had when someone is injured and files a lawsuit against the property owners.

Downtown wrote:
I love the mural on the Rice Asher Building, but the building is in such a bad shape that it needs to be torn down. That building is a real eyesore to downtown. That is one of the first buildings you notice when you come to downtown.
Stan

London, KY

#12 Sep 14, 2013
Maybe add some creme and suger to your drink, since it certainly appears you are having a bitter taste in your mouth !!
Johnny Come Lately wrote:
<quoted text>
People ain't stupid teabagger.
facts

London, KY

#13 Sep 14, 2013
Only new business I seen are drug stores and beer joints, some new business my foot. Man this stan lives in a dream world where he sees butterflies and cream pies, if all that is coming is more drug stores(Could be 2 maybe 3 more) or beer joints no wonder a really true employing business want come here. They see all these drug stores and alcohol joints they say man all you got is sick people, drunks and dope heads. Hey stan they more to a place then just the city limits, as for town of Manchester, nothing but mom and pops places would locate their, no parking, out of the main roads and way to many junky looking places. Mom and pop places want draw large amount of customers, one they charge way above what large stores charge, limited variety to choose from and nothing unique to offer. Am not jumping your bones stan but I face reality, onced they widen the highway from red lights to save a lot Manchester will die, you watch and see.
Stan

London, KY

#14 Sep 14, 2013
Oh, well, go figure, here we go again....negative nellies....put down paula's....jilted jeannie's..........Facts, we have new conveience stores by national franchise chain brand Shell (local people work and shop there); we have multiple retail pharmacies stores (local people shop and work there); we have a new automotive service store (local people shop and work there), other stores opened up and extended operational hours (local people shop and work there)....do we need more, yes, should we work toward more, yes....does being a debbie downer get the job done, NO....put forth some construtive ideas, reasonable criticisms of policy and practice..........or please feel free to continue to offer the same ole tired destructive criticisms....your call, we still have the 1st ammendment.
facts wrote:
Only new business I seen are drug stores and beer joints, some new business my foot. Man this stan lives in a dream world where he sees butterflies and cream pies, if all that is coming is more drug stores(Could be 2 maybe 3 more) or beer joints no wonder a really true employing business want come here. They see all these drug stores and alcohol joints they say man all you got is sick people, drunks and dope heads. Hey stan they more to a place then just the city limits, as for town of Manchester, nothing but mom and pops places would locate their, no parking, out of the main roads and way to many junky looking places. Mom and pop places want draw large amount of customers, one they charge way above what large stores charge, limited variety to choose from and nothing unique to offer. Am not jumping your bones stan but I face reality, onced they widen the highway from red lights to save a lot Manchester will die, you watch and see.
Downtown

Vicco, KY

#15 Sep 16, 2013
The new tire service shop did an excellent job for my vehicle repair. They are nice and they get the job down. Also, I thought the price was very reasonable. I recommend you try them out.
facts

East Bernstadt, KY

#16 Sep 17, 2013
This franchise shell duh is a gas station convenient market( another beer joint) and he calls that important. Hey stan why can we not get a Kroger or ingles grocery store. Heck why not a good set down restaurant or a theater, I tell you why stan companies do their on investigation before locating and they see clay county for what it is a low income, unreliable source of revenue. Stan loves to get his panties in a wad because people tell truth why clay way it is, he wants to blame it on political leaders, it would not matter who was running things here until they strike oil, gold or some other valuable resource clay county will never become a attraction for large business. They so much competition for tourist and business all around unless you got something unique or valuable then you just out of luck, and only thing clay has to offer is drug stores and alcohol joints, along with a lazy mentality from a majority of its residents. Stan they just to few good honest people around here to really make a change, sorry but that is the fact.
Motivator

Madisonville, KY

#17 Sep 17, 2013
facts wrote:
This franchise shell duh is a gas station convenient market( another beer joint) and he calls that important. Hey stan why can we not get a Kroger or ingles grocery store. Heck why not a good set down restaurant or a theater, I tell you why stan companies do their on investigation before locating and they see clay county for what it is a low income, unreliable source of revenue. Stan loves to get his panties in a wad because people tell truth why clay way it is, he wants to blame it on political leaders, it would not matter who was running things here until they strike oil, gold or some other valuable resource clay county will never become a attraction for large business. They so much competition for tourist and business all around unless you got something unique or valuable then you just out of luck, and only thing clay has to offer is drug stores and alcohol joints, along with a lazy mentality from a majority of its residents. Stan they just to few good honest people around here to really make a change, sorry but that is the fact.
With thinking like this, no, we will never get ahead. According to you, one business can't make a difference. Well buddy boy, it's a start. There will be more to come because of POSITIVE THINKERS!!! Sitting on hear gripping about the county will not change a thing. Getting behind the government, making changes on your own, working with the positive thinking groups will. Sure we have a ways to go, and now good people are starting to do something and help turn it around. Food for thought, the swinging bridges are becoming a tourist attraction. Yes, our little bridges are something we have going for us. People from out of state want to come just to have the pleasure of walking across one. It's a start, a little one but a start. Just as a baby, we start with little steps and then learn to walk. Together, with some good people, positive thinking, and a little elbow grease, we can make Clay County one to be proud of and to live in.
just an american

East Bernstadt, KY

#18 Sep 17, 2013
As a long time resident here I seen many different politicians make promises, break promises and we still lagging behind even lot smaller areas. This is just my opinion but I seem to remember the ones on here spouting out growth, doing things different as the ones pushing alcohol sales as the answer to all the problems. I seem to remember the bragging of all the new business it was going to bring in, big restaurants, hotels and even a distributor dealership. Look only a fool would not want things better but no swinging bridge, drug stores or beer joints going to cure clay county problem. Maybe after they widen the highway. or if they ever widen the parkway or build that interstate road to connect s.e ky with other states then maybe we see some real growth. Lets face reality way things are in America today, business closing, gas, food and utilities going sky high they very few visitors be able to afford to go anywhere. Heck I know I am far from being a genius but I got enough common sense to know if large tourist attracting places having a hard time a small community sure the heck not going to prosper. Until the people all over this country wake up and realize our government can not provide from cradle to grave benefits to a majority of its people you going to see more hardship then you can even imagine. When you got people thinking a restaurant can pay 15 bucks an hr to workers and still sell burgers for a dollar then I got some land on the moon I sell to them. It is a shame how ignorant about economics people have become, this give me mentality instilled in them by politicians is what America has become. Sorry but until we fix things in Washington d.c, get rid of the give me politicians no matter how much hard work and good intentions done here we want achieve any growth.
Rocky

London, KY

#19 Sep 17, 2013
"The Stone Age didn't end because of a lack of Stones"
Saw this quote on a discussion board in the Lexington paper.
just an american wrote:
As a long time resident here I seen many different politicians make promises, break promises and we still lagging behind even lot smaller areas. This is just my opinion but I seem to remember the ones on here spouting out growth, doing things different as the ones pushing alcohol sales as the answer to all the problems. I seem to remember the bragging of all the new business it was going to bring in, big restaurants, hotels and even a distributor dealership. Look only a fool would not want things better but no swinging bridge, drug stores or beer joints going to cure clay county problem. Maybe after they widen the highway. or if they ever widen the parkway or build that interstate road to connect s.e ky with other states then maybe we see some real growth. Lets face reality way things are in America today, business closing, gas, food and utilities going sky high they very few visitors be able to afford to go anywhere. Heck I know I am far from being a genius but I got enough common sense to know if large tourist attracting places having a hard time a small community sure the heck not going to prosper. Until the people all over this country wake up and realize our government can not provide from cradle to grave benefits to a majority of its people you going to see more hardship then you can even imagine. When you got people thinking a restaurant can pay 15 bucks an hr to workers and still sell burgers for a dollar then I got some land on the moon I sell to them. It is a shame how ignorant about economics people have become, this give me mentality instilled in them by politicians is what America has become. Sorry but until we fix things in Washington d.c, get rid of the give me politicians no matter how much hard work and good intentions done here we want achieve any growth.
Lover Manchester Clay Cou

Manchester, KY

#20 Sep 17, 2013
just an american wrote:
I will agree somewhat with you about Washington D C, but people like you is the reason we don`t have nothing now. Nay sayers has never and will never aclompish any thing. The people in stay in clay groupe have done a lot of good things and have plans for more good things to come. INSTEAD OF SITTING ON YOUR BEHIND AND SAYING NOTHING CAN BE DONE (GET OUT AND HELP). What do you think they are doeng this week? NOT SITTING ON THEIR BUT. They are in Berea Traning, getting ideals and whatever else they can do to help manchester/clay co. to be a better place. Now that being said (WHAT HAVE YOU DONE EXCEPT SAY NO YOU CAN`T DO IT) Thats the reason weare in the shape we are in now. Its time for everyone to step up. I have heard people say if so and so is in it i`m not being no part of it or if John Doe is going to get credit for it I`m not fooling with it.JUST THINK ABOUT IT.jUST LIKE A BUNCH OF 3RD GRADERS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min CriminalsForever 149,600
Harrison 1 hr Concerned 3
Suzanna Gray 5 hr What 3
Ralphy John Hoskins-KIDNAPPIN?? nowayz (Jan '11) 5 hr RJH 23
Disgusting video 7 hr Hustler 1
Jailer Vacations 19 hr iknow 10
Ashley Baker and Michael Wagers 19 hr lol so sick 1

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages