Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151618 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136324 Aug 20, 2014
7th Trump wrote:
Why do atheist have such a hard time admitting they're living by faith? They surely know, everyone else seems too!
Their Logic bone is broken!
They cannot even discuss the workings in a single cell
without jumping to their faith mode of
"Dawkins said it... it has to be true"!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136325 Aug 20, 2014
spaceship wrote:
I hate to call you on this, but I DID say "We Christians will NOT cut your heads off...."

Nothing you posted had a THING to do with Christ's teachings... did it?
NO!
Buy a clue!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136326 Aug 20, 2014
When the Islamo-head-lopping-idiots come
to remove my head... I will NOT renounce Christ!
I KNOW Him, and He is real....
But when they come for you Dawkins believers...
You will fall apart like a $2 suitcase, and
flop like a fish out of water....

Repent of your foolishness!
You may lose your head, but you'll Live for eternity in Paradise!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#136327 Aug 20, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly it is good for the rulers.
Sheep are so easy to herd.
Believers probably can't articulate the "how or why faith is a good thing" because they are taught to never question what they think or how they feel about it.
"Just "believe and everything will be fine," is how they are programed.
Sure, like a placebo, it makes them feel better about themselves and their lives.
But it denies the fear and guilt they are feeling, dealing with it in an irrational way instead of confronting the problems.
The best (from a believer's point of view) part is that it's soooo easy.
Much like alcohol and drugs, it gives the illusion that everything is alright.
Happy, happy, joy, joy.... but not really. Only covering up the issues, not dealing with them.
It would seem to me that *knowing* things (from how to find the best places to hunt or pick berries in ancient times to learning a marketable skill today) would be infinitely more helpful for survival than "believing" imaginary things.
Are we, as a race, just that Lazy?
Taking the quick and easy route of alcoholic bliss instead of the pride of a job well done?
Taking the high of drugs instead of the satisfaction of having a loving family?
Wanting to be taken care of by a father figure instead of growing up and accepting responsibility for one's self?
Quite honestly, I have little hope for humanity.
We've done some amazing things but overall, our perfomance is lacking.
My hope is that the next dominate species on this planet does better.
Evolution likes lazy. We and all species evolve traits to conserve energy. If we spend more energy than we consume, we starve to death.
Thinking takes energy. So it does stand to reason many will opt out of critical thinking and clinging to beliefs that wipe away guilt with a simple prayer or a few Hail Mary's.

Apes spend a large amount of energy walking. It is not their natural way of getting around. So when the savannas expanded and walking was needed more, it stands to reason evolution worked for conserving energy by walking upright. Humans spend a small amount of energy walking compared to apes.
Now that I think about it, this is a good reason legs became a favored trait for getting around on land. We know some fish even have legs to help them get around in certain environments.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136328 Aug 20, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
What,, more theories??
"Could be"
"One may assume"
"The evidence shows"
Yeah,, it "could be" it could NOT be also!!
Yeah,, "one may assume", one may assume NOT also!!
Yeah,, "The evidence shows", the evidence does NOT show any such thing!!
Just more THEORIES Mike,,, are you ever gonna post any PROOF??
Dinosaurs evolving into birds (chickens)!! LOL!!
Now that takes a great deal of FAITH to believe something like that!!
Yes, now you are getting it. Science is showing what could be due to the evidence. If you can show it could not be, then you are able to falsify the theory. As of yet, the theory has not been falsified. This is why science sees evolution as factual. For the past 150 years, not a single creationist has been able to falsify the theory.
I am not demanding you believe in evolution or go to hell. I am simply asking it be allowed to be taught in public schools.
Evolution has evidence of being so, the religion of the bible does not. The bible is religion, evolution is science. Science should be taught in schools even if you do not believe the science is true.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136329 Aug 20, 2014
7th Trump wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he makes these claims and never backs it up!! Yeah, ole spaceship has practically begged me to quit posting to him because everyone was laughing so hard!! Lol.!
It's no wonder ole space cadet can't understand what's written in the Bible,, he can't even understand what's written on topix!!
Claiming victory for yourself again? Maybe you should go out and buy a trophy for yourself.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136330 Aug 20, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I hate to call you on this, but I DID say "We Christians will NOT cut your heads off...."
Nothing you posted had a THING to do with Christ's teachings... did it?
NO!
Buy a clue!
Says the person who says he would kill his own daughter if he thought his god wanted him to do so.
Do you think revelations is of your Christ? If so, then it seems likely he may ask you to kill us for his Utopia.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136331 Aug 20, 2014
SNYB wrote:
And BTW Duquette, let us suppose any of us were to have few of those moments of calamity..as we all will experience in or lives at some point or another-
What type of person would YOU rather deal with then?
A "sinner" to whom REAL " mercy " is no stranger to, or one that deems themselves to be holier than the rest and has put themselves upon a pedestal above others, and that can only FEIGN such.
And if you actually THINK about that...logic and COMMON SENSE --if there is any aboding within-- should tell us..."why we should ALWAYS be careful what we "ask for"..."...eh Duquette?
I guess you do not read Yes and Amen's posts. He puts himself on this pedestal and keeps insisting we will burn in hell if we do not believe his crazy story. He believes his god is on board for this merciless concept.
Again you have missed my point, and twisted things to the opposite direction of what I was saying.
Deuteronomy 13 teaches the opposite of what I feel is of mercy. Killing your own brother just because he tries to sway you from your god is not of mercy.
Revelations claims of Jesus coming back to kill the non believers to create a Utopia is not a story of mercy. It is a story of a holocaust, and preaching the holocaust is good.
Teaching this to public school children is akin to teaching killing Jews as Hitler did was a good thing. They were the non believers of Jesus.

Yes, you should be careful what you ask for.

“Trying to live a good life”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#136332 Aug 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Claiming victory for yourself again? Maybe you should go out and buy a trophy for yourself.
Claiming victory for myself??? Lol.
Buying a trophy for myself???
Where do you come up with this stuff?

I should but myself a trophy for explaining why space cadet comes unglued everytime I post to him?????

Do you have any idea how many trophy's I would have to buy,,, if I had to buy one everytime I had to explain something to space cadet????

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136333 Aug 20, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"I remember when I was a Christian "
He is funny...
If he had been a Christian... He'd be here in defense of Christianity!
We are all aware of your dogmatic, non logical belief that Christians never lose faith. Just another reason I do not judge your claims as realistic.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136334 Aug 20, 2014
7th Trump wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah woah woah,,, so you have FAITH in the THEORY of evolution because it's the best explanation ????? Then there you go,,, you have FAITH in your Religion!!! That was simple enough!!
Why in the world would you think someone who believes the Bible would have blind faith?? That would mean you have lived their life for them, that you've seen everything through their eyes, that you've witnessed everything they've witnessed!!!
You're actually just theorizing again!!
Is faith in having a good working car, a religion? You use the word falsely.

I get it, you feel you see evidence by seeing events and believing only a god could be the cause. But that is only because you already believe a god does all these things. You already had the faith without evidence. That faith is blind. Obviously their is no evidence of a god, thus we call belief in it, blind.
Hindu's also feel they find evidence in the same sort of events you do. So who's faith is blind here?

Having faith in a plane flying is not a religion. Learn how to use words properly or you just seem like a liar or an idiot.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136335 Aug 20, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm a little like Mike and yourself!! I have FAITH in what the Bible says,, and yes the Bible says God turned a staff into a snake, and made a donkey talk,,,
just like you and Mike have FAITH that a T-Rex evolved into a chicken!!
Only thing is,,, I'm suppose to have FAITH, and don't care to admit I have FAITH in what the Bible says even if I can't explain it,,,
but you my friend are NOT suppose to have FAITH at all in your RELIGION,,, but you have proved time and time again on here your FAITH is much stronger than most Christians!!
Actually I never said chickens evolved from T Rex. Why are you Christians such liars? Why should we believe your stupid bible tale when you cannot even tell the truth about what we said? You have proved you are a liar, so trust is something you do not have with me.
There is evidence that birds evolved from dinosaurs. Maybe you are just so ignorant of what dinosaurs are, you think they are all T Rex's?

But thanks for finally admitting you believe a snake came from a stick in an instant. Why did it take you so long to admit your faith in this?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136336 Aug 20, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not like the book doesn't plainly state the flip side of as well.
"When mercy is given, mercy is shown".
Yet no mercy is supposedly given to non believers after death. In fact they are given the ultimate torture. For what? The act of non belief. Are you claiming non belief is merciless?
You see, the bible fails the test of your statement.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136337 Aug 20, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you even pull that tripe-out of what I posted (reiterated below).
Book? No mention of a book made. Documentations of ancient times, perhaps..but here's an Enlightenment for YOU Duquette-that was a SECULAR thing.
After that, you pretty much just resquawked some of my own opinions on SOME issues, albeit, not any sort of a personal "philosophical theory of everything" however..
And don't even bother to waste a type written character trying to sway me to having any other opinion(s) or prespectives, because it won't work-as I have my OWN, and that suits me just fine thank you.
----------
There have been wars in that region for a couple of milleniums now..documnted as least as far back as the Macabee's.
Palestinian terrorists and the groups thereof (such as HAMAS) just need to get a clue, grow the hell up, deal with reality of a civilized means of government, rather than denial of the process of REAL world of such, and join the REST of the DEMOCRACY already in place there...and stop expecting the world to cater to their Ignorant bunch of bomb lobbing terrorists ways.
(Dark age, ignorant, bomb lobbing THUGS.)
I am not responding to your post in a vacuum. I am considering many of your other posts.
I stand by my points here, and I see you do not refute them. I demonstrated why your regular practice of condemning our opposition to religion is a problem. It is a problem related to what is going in the middle east. Ignore it at your peril.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136338 Aug 20, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, sure did.
Probably because your whole focus on your mission to condemn atheists for opposing religion.
The garden of Eden was a supposed Utopia. So claiming no one here believes earth was never in a Utopian state would be wrong. Many Christians believe the earth was and will be in a Utopian state.

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>
I guess you missed all the Christians on this thread claiming life in the garden of Eden was nothing but a good time picnic till Eve sought knowledge.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136339 Aug 20, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you denying posting a link that theorized about dinosaurs turning into birds??
A chicken is a bird isn't it Mike? Or has someone theorized a chicken is really a mouse?
A chicken is much more closely related to dinosaurs than mice. Just as humans are closely related to apes. Heck, humans are more closely related to mice than chickens.
I guess you never studied this in science class. So sorry your education was lacking.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136340 Aug 20, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you just proved we still live in a Christian Nation! Thank you!!
What do you say to your fellow atheist who swear we no longer live in a Christian Nation?
Depends upon your definition of a "Christian nation". It has a majority of persons who identify themselves as Christians in it. Is this your definition?

I do not think America is of any Christian principles as far as dogma is concerned. If you disagree, please tell us what Christian principle America is based upon?
I have asked this before, and you never answered. No Christians ever answer this question.
GOD

San Mateo, CA

#136341 Aug 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends upon your definition of a "Christian nation". It has a majority of persons who identify themselves as Christians in it. Is this your definition?
I do not think America is of any Christian principles as far as dogma is concerned. If you disagree, please tell us what Christian principle America is based upon?
I have asked this before, and you never answered. No Christians ever answer this question.
Mike this is God, Get a Life. Thank you
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#136342 Aug 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution likes lazy. We and all species evolve traits to conserve energy. If we spend more energy than we consume, we starve to death.
Thinking takes energy. So it does stand to reason many will opt out of critical thinking and clinging to beliefs that wipe away guilt with a simple prayer or a few Hail Mary's.
Apes spend a large amount of energy walking. It is not their natural way of getting around. So when the savannas expanded and walking was needed more, it stands to reason evolution worked for conserving energy by walking upright. Humans spend a small amount of energy walking compared to apes.
Now that I think about it, this is a good reason legs became a favored trait for getting around on land. We know some fish even have legs to help them get around in certain environments.
Evolution likes lazy and that is why atheists embraced it.
Anyhow, you claim that evolution likes lazy, but that those such as yourself, critical thinkers, expend much energy thinking
You also claim that if we spend more energy that we consume,we will starve to death.
Well, you spend much energy debating something you don't beleieve in. How much do you weigh?
That is a brilliant observation, you need legs to get around on land,,,.

You walk on land ,need legs, fly through the air, need wings,swim in water,usually need fins.
That is how God created us and land animals, birds and fish
What I see is evolutionists and atheists hobbling around in mental crutches.
Your faith has trashed your mind..........
America

San Mateo, CA

#136343 Aug 20, 2014
The pilgrims, as you will recall, were, Christians
fleeing Europe in order to escape religious
persecution, and they literally began their stay in
their new land with the words,“In the name of
God, Amen.” The pilgrims were followed to New England by the
Puritans, who created bible-based
commonwealths. Those commonwealths practiced
the same sort of representative government as their
church covenants. Those governmental covenants
and compacts numbered more than 100, and were the foundation for our Constitution. New Haven (Connecticut) and Massachusetts were
founded by Puritans who wanted to reform the
Church of England, who later became known as
Congregationalists. Roger Williams founded the
colony of Rhode Island based on the principle of
freedom of conscience. Pennsylvania was established by William Penn as a Quaker colony.
Maryland was a haven for Catholics from Protestant
England. America was indeed founded by bible-believing
Christians and based on Christian principles. When
they founded this country, the Founding Fathers
envisioned a government that would promote and
encourage Christianity. All but two of the first 108 universities founded in
America were Christian. This includes the first,
Harvard, where the student handbook listed this as
Rule #1:“Let every student be plainly instructed
and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main
end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore
to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our
children to follow the moral principles of the Ten
Commandments." In 1777. Continental Congress voted to spend
$300,000 to purchase bibles which were to be
distributed throughout the 13 colonies! And in
1782, the United States Congress declared,“The
Congress of the United States recommends and
approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Jackaons What Is Going On With Them 1 hr Scott 24
Why is Jason Grub got junk camper at the yard s... 1 hr eexxxx 6
Looking for a church 6 hr church 4
Beve Begley and Kendra Jackson 7 hr Scott 2
Anyone know any simmions off big wildcat rd 12 hr Mee 1
Just some good old fun 18 hr Single mom 31
Fonda Walters 23 hr Keepin it 100 2

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance