Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 141514 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#119373 Dec 21, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Here we disagree, I believe the Golden Rule is primary and only violate it in response to violence or written avocation of violence. Circumstance matters too,UY
<.
Khatru wrote:

Not just biblical law. Maxims like the Golden Rule predate any biblical laws. In any event, the Golden Rule doesn't mean much to the god of the Bible anyway..

Mike says,
So you disagree to these claims? I see you did not show any reason why.

The bible claims god wanted the peaceful people who worshipped a golden calf to be slaughtered. Is this the golden rule?

History shows the golden rule predated the bible. Are you disputing this?
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119374 Dec 21, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What "promises of atheism"? Their are none. And looks to me the problem you cite is the broken promises of religion. When it is found out the promises are a lie, that is the problem you claim can be depressing.
Promises of prayer working is another false hope issue. How many kids prayed for their lost dog to be found the hope never came to finding said dog?
And the coincidence you claim does not sound like a coincidence at all. It stands to reason a person who knows of a dog found might eventually think to look in the lost dog section of the paper.
Human perception is deceiving. We remember the positives more so than the negatives in these common occurrences. So please do not expect me to believe god is answering all your prayers and solving all the problems you have.
Now on to a philosophical question. Is your god so worried about your dog that he abandons so many lost children? How many parents lost a child and prayed in a futile effort?
I would feel guilty if god helped me find my dog but did not find the abducted child in the news this week.
Atheism makes no promises. It is full of reality though, and if that reality in our world makes you depressed, don't blame reality.
Religion often builds so much false hope and reliance on a god, when it is found out the god is a myth, the person may need some adjustment to make. Maybe if ones parents taught them how to deal with reality, it would not be an issue.
Atheists claim that by renouncing God you will be set free, that you will lead a happier life.
The evidence , as stated by Staak Rosch , points directly to the contrary.
Some religions may well be based on a false foudatiom. I do not consider Christianity to be
such a religion,Christianity is based on a relationship between an individual , Christ and God.
Praying to God and Christ has proven to be effective as confirmed by the fact that millions of Christians can attest to it's veracity.
Your opinion that prayer is a false hope is based solely on your opinion..
Moreover,before being deconverted , those mentioned by Staak Rosch were not afflicted by suicidial tendencies or depression ,since that is not what he claimed.
Those afflictions occured as a result to their wilfull separation from God after they were so persuaded by Atheists.
Those poor victims did not find out that those promises were a lie , they were persuaded by Atheists who provided no evidence to support their beliefs for God's nonexistence.
The important point to be made here is that the Atheists claim that by denying God's existence will lead you to be free and enjoy a happier life is a lie and not supported by any evidence.
The fact is that those poor souls are having to deal with depression , suicidial tendencies and other maladies detrimental to their well being and that of their families and that is not what they were led to believe.
Your smokescreen regarding how many kids may have prayed for their dogs to be found and were not? is irrelevant
How many kids have prayed for their dogs to be found and they were? Which you did not address , is also irrelevant, as I do not base my faith on God's responses of prayers to others
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119375 Dec 21, 2013
You avoid addressing the fact that the lady who responded to my add did so at 9;00AM ,the exact time on the exact day that I was praying for a response,you do not address the fact that she called me inspite of her belief that the dog in question did not fit the description of the dog in the ad.
You did not address the fact that she had not been seeking the dogs owner up until the time that I was making my request.
Your claim that it stands to reason that she would eventually look in the paper ,does not stand to reason.
She had no attachment to the dog , she was not the one that found the dog , the dog had been given a new home aand since the dog did not have any ID everyone had assumed it was a stray dog...Your reasoning is based on nonsense.
What is more , I don't expect you to believe anyrhing.
I know my prayers have been answered , that belief is based on my personal experiences, not on the opinions of Atheists.
You keed adding nonsense to your argument by stating that I am depressed.
You seem to forget , I am not an Atheist,therefore I have no reason to feel depressed or suiicidial.
And I agree,Human nature and human perception can be deceiving , that is precisely why I do not trust my human nature or human perception.
Let the Lord be my guide , as He will lead me to the truth.
Since you have read the Bible , I am sure that you are aware as to why not all prayers are answered.
Go back and read the parable of the sower and you will understand the reasons for the unbelief of many lost souls

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119376 Dec 21, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<
<quoted text>Here, we agree, but I go on to say he's entitled to work, earn his livelihood without fear of retaliation or indefinite suspension.
<quoted text>Here, we agree again. Free speech means truth, all the rest is BS.
First, are you saying lies cannot be freely spoken?

Second, Phil is entitled to work and earn a living. And in our capitalistic system, he needs to find an employer who does not care what he has to say about homosexuals.
Everyone should fear retaliation for their words. What world is devoid of consequences? Speech is not prohibited by the government.

By your reasoning, Phil should be free to bash A&E without fear of being fired. Of course that is silly.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119377 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists claim that by renouncing God you will be set free, that you will lead a happier life.
s
So now you are claiming "atheists" say this? Before you claimed it was some promise of atheism. Two very different things. And are you claiming every atheist claims this, or just some?
Choose your words more carefully.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119378 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
You avoid addressing the fact that the lady who responded to my add did so at 9;00AM ,the exact time on the exact day that I was praying for a response,you do not address the fact that she called me inspite of her belief that the dog in question did not fit the description of the dog in the ad.
You did not address the fact that she had not been seeking the dogs owner up until the time that I was making my request.
Your claim that it stands to reason that she would eventually look in the paper ,does not stand to reason.
She had no attachment to the dog , she was not the one that found the dog , the dog had been given a new home aand since the dog did not have any ID everyone had assumed it was a stray dog...Your reasoning is based on nonsense.
I know my prayers have been answered , that belief is based on my personal experiences, not on the opinions of Atheists.
You seem to forget , I am not an Atheist,therefore I have no reason to feel depressed or suiicidial.
And I agree,Human nature and human perception can be deceiving , that is precisely why I do not trust my human nature or human perception.
Since you have read the Bible , I am sure that you are aware as to why not all prayers are answered.
Go back and read the parable of the sower and you will understand the reasons for the unbelief of many lost souls
I know my prayers have been answered , that belief is based on my personal experiences, not on the opinions of Atheists

You clearly are trusting your human perception one hundred percent as shown by the first sentence here.

You contradict yourself so much it is sad.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119379 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
I never claimed you were depressed. Care to show evidence of that claim? Just more of your flawed perception pal.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119381 Dec 21, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So now you are claiming "atheists" say this? Before you claimed it was some promise of atheism. Two very different things. And are you claiming every atheist claims this, or just some?
Choose your words more carefully.
Get to the bottom line and stop dancing on your crutches.
What are the benefits of deconverting and how does that make one's life better by separating oneself from one's creator?
Rosch pointed out some of the maladies that may well befall those who renounce God, based on the fact that it has occured to so many that he considers depression and suicide to be a big problem among the adherents of Atheism , a problem that they do not like to admit to.
Why would one want to convert to a Faith that is likely to lead to one's destruction and that of your family?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#119382 Dec 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you're dark age, pagan, closed minded.
For many of the rest of us-we WILL continue to enjoy the Nativity scenes in the LIGHT of our chosen beliefs.
Deal with it.
Fact: people were celebrating mid winter for centuries before your death cult came along.

Deal with it.

Nottingham, UK

#119383 Dec 21, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know God through Jesus Christ?
I don't know your god.

I don't know any of the other gods either.

Nottingham, UK

#119384 Dec 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think science or religion spurred the "Final Solution." Antisemitism has pervaded Europe for centuries - mostly because of tribalism, xenophobia and commerce. The Jews were a handy scapegoat for rallying support and a tool for demonstrating totalitarian authority to the populace.
I'm inclined to agree with you some way but religion certainly played its part.

The NT refers to Jews as dogs, snakes and a vipers brood who cannot escape being condemned to Hell. They're the people on whom God brought a "numbness of spirit" and gave them "blind eyes and deaf ears"

The NT tells us that they're hypocrites and deaf to the truth. No less a person than Jesus told Jews who rejected him that their father was the devil and they chose to carry out their father's desires. Look yourself, there are other passages of anti-semitic text in the NT.

The NT also tells us that Pontius Pilate had Jesus flogged and sentenced to death and indeed, it was the Romans themselves who carried out the crucifixion.

The NT maligns and disseminates hatred of the Jews. It seems to me that it suited the early Christians to blame the Jews to avoid upsetting the Romans. It would make it much easier to continue practising this new religion if they kept Rome sweet.

Then came the early church fathers:

Tertullian told us that Israel is never clean - its hands forever stained with blood

Origen stated that the blood of the Jews falls not just on the Jews of that time but of all Jews up to the end of the world.

Saint Ephraeum Syrus called the Jews "circumcised dogs"

Saint Gregory of Nyssa said the Jews were slayers of the Lord, murderers of prophets, enemies and haters of God.

John Chrysostom wrote "Eight Homilies Against the Jews" which tell us about the despicable nature of Judaism and of the Jewish people who were driven to the ultimate evil. Christians are warned not to come into contact with Jews, a people who within them, demons dwell and their mothers ate their own babies. Chrysostom tells us that the Jews cause is lost and they can expect no atonement.

I'm hardly scratching the surface here and much more anti-Jewish invective existed. With such writings and sermons, it's little wonder that a hatred of Jews became indelibly stamped on the mindset of Christianity.

Fuelled by the anti-Semitism of their leaders, Christians attacked and destroyed synagogues. The earliest recorded Christian pogrom of the Jews was in 414 CE in Alexandria where the Jewish community was pretty much eradicated.

With such a strong anti-Jewish mindset it wasn't long before repressive laws were created.

The Synod of Elvira forbade Jewish men from having sex with Christian women. It didn't ban Christian men from having sex with Jewish women. Jews couldn't marry Christians or even share a meal with them.

A few years later at the Council of Nicea, Christian clergy were forbidden to hold conversations with Jews.

Then along came the Codex Theodosianus which laid down a slew of anti-Jewish laws. These pretty much turned the Jews' status into that of an underclass and they were banned from the administrative, military and legal professions.

Further laws followed and the religious hatred of Christians toward Jews became state laws.

Hatred of the Jews was pretty trendy in the middle ages. Pope Innocent III used his influence by putting pressure on Christian rulers of other nations to remove Jews from public office.

Innocent added a preambles of his own to the papal manuscript "Sicut Judeis" in which he says that the Jews are not to be wiped out completely. In other words it's ok to partially wipe them out. Right.

On an on went the attacks on Jewishness. Further laws were passed and ghettos were set up for the Jews to live in. Life as a Jew in Christendom must have been pretty hellish.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119385 Dec 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
Hey WitW - Happy Yule!
A bit warm for it but I'll have to burn a log in the fireplace tonight. Honoring Odin, the Disir and the ancestors and all that... Already have the Druidic tree up with the angels (anu-naki), apples from the tree of knowledge and assorted other animals and fetishes dangling from it's boughs...
Good for the soul - right YaA, Curious, KF?.
By those" other animals and fetishes" I take it you mean you rounded up all the Atheists on this website and they are now hanging from the limbs of your tree
Good place for them. Hangem High....love that movie

Nottingham, UK

#119386 Dec 21, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Here we disagree, I believe the Golden Rule is primary and only violate it in response to violence or written avocation of violence. Circumstance matters too,
I'm sure you'll agree that wishing no harm or suffering on others is understandably a good thing. Yet harm is exactly what your god wishes on people and the Bible is full of examples where he expects his followers to obey him and break the Golden Rule.
Brian_G wrote:
Yes, where have I written even one syllable to imply otherwise? There's nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality, I've written that many times before, have you? Of course killing homosexuals for homosexuality is as evil as killing straights for being heterosexuals or Christians for being Christian or killing Muslims for Islam is evil.
You haven't and I'm really please to hear you say this. There's a guy in here called "curious" who probably take issue with you because he claims that people of other faiths and homosexuals were a cancer and deserving of being killed.
Brian_G wrote:
Having listned to years of hearing it from secular extremists, schoolteachers, and atheists, it's time to listen to Phil. This is where we differ.
Would you rather live in a theocracy?
Brian_G wrote:
In American history, Christians stopped slavery because slavery is evil. Enough of your excuses, law won and the 13th Amendment abolished slavery in America on December 6, 1865. God bless democracy and America.
They still had to kill thousands of other Christians to end slavery. I agree that slavery is evil and there is no justification for it. This will probably annoy curious again because he sees the slavery in the Bible as being a great and wonderful thing.
Brian_G wrote:
I don't think so, don't you download TV?
Really. I don't download TV. I like to buy the boxed sets of shows that catch my eye. I hate reality TV shows and the way that so many people are suckered in by them.

Nottingham, UK

#119387 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes , You have demonstrated your ample supply of ignorance on many occasions.
There are well-dressed foolish opinions just as there are well-dressed fools.
Nicolas Chamfort
That is a nice suit you are wearing Musta bought it online @fools.com
You need to study the horrible effect that your Insalubrious faith is having on those who fall prey to the Atheist tactic of deconverting unsuspecting victims
Suicide and depression is a problem within the ralnks of those who deconvert and Atheists are not willing to admit such a problem exists OR that they are responsible for misleading these poor souls.
Read the article written by Staak Rosch and one can reach no other conclusion.
There is no doubt in my mind that those who perpetrate thist fraud on poor unsuspecting victims should be criminall charged.
Unfortunately , these Atheists can hide behind the" Freedom Of Religion" knowing that their calloused and immoral actions will not be subject to prosecution .
Yet still you defend genocide, killing homosexuals, slavery, etc.

Your moral compass has lost its direction.

Nottingham, UK

#119388 Dec 21, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Khatru wrote:
Not just biblical law. Maxims like the Golden Rule predate any biblical laws. In any event, the Golden Rule doesn't mean much to the god of the Bible anyway..
Mike says,
So you disagree to these claims? I see you did not show any reason why.
The bible claims god wanted the peaceful people who worshipped a golden calf to be slaughtered. Is this the golden rule?
History shows the golden rule predated the bible. Are you disputing this?
Absolutely.

The OT accounts for most of the Bible. It also depicts a god who wants his followers to kill others for various different reasons, including but not limited to:

Exterminating the Canaanites and other tribes.
Killing people simply because they exercised freedom of religion.
Killing homosexuals because God doesn't like them.

If you think about it, the God of the OT must have known about the Golden Rule and how it is one of the highest measures of good ethical behaviour. What can any church, mosque, synagogue, temple, etc, teach me that is more important than the Golden Rule? Yet God chose to ignore it until the New Testament.

At this point it may be useful to bear in mind that during the time that God was ignoring the Golden Rule, other belief systems (Hinduism, Jainism) were advocating its use.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119389 Dec 21, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed you were depressed. Care to show evidence of that claim? Just more of your flawed perception pal.
I see where you refused to deal with the issues I raised challenging your credibility and wasted no time in throwing up smokescreens.
That MO may work when you are preying on unsuspecting victims , I know better pal.

Nottingham, UK

#119390 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
By those" other animals and fetishes" I take it you mean you rounded up all the Atheists on this website and they are now hanging from the limbs of your tree
Good place for them. Hangem High....love that movie
Once you've sorted out the atheists you'll start on the homosexuals and when they're all gone you'll focus on people who exercise freedom of religion.

Nice belief system you have there.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119391 Dec 21, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet still you defend genocide, killing homosexuals, slavery, etc.
Your moral compass has lost its direction.
Opinions of those whose Atheist Faith has no moral compass needs to be disregarded for what it is,immoral gibberish.

Nottingham, UK

#119392 Dec 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinions of those whose Atheist Faith has no moral compass needs to be disregarded for what it is,immoral gibberish.
Share your Christian love with is again please:

Let's hear you recount how people who choose to adopt a different religion "had it coming" and how homosexuals "got what they deserved".
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#119393 Dec 21, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Share your Christian love with is again please:
Let's hear you recount how people who choose to adopt a different religion "had it coming" and how homosexuals "got what they deserved".
No , I am more interested in Staak Rosch's confession that suicide and depression atr a big problem within the Atheist community and that Atheists will not admit to that fact. The question is,Why are Atheists so reluctant to admit what is obvious to those of the Atheist faith?
What are they hiding and why?
Is it because they don't want the general public to become aware of the maladies that affect those who deconvert after their deconversion?
Is it because it may show that they are abusing the right of freedom of religion?
After all , if it can be shown that deconversion can lead to suicide ,suicidial tendencies and depression ,among other maladies , wouldn't the government need to step in and investigate
in order to protect the general public?
Wouldn't the government , at the very least, demand that the innocent and uninformed victims be given full and fair disclosure of the consecuences of their actions and not the misleading , inaccurate and nonfactual opinions currently used by Atheists?
Very interesting indeed ,why Atheists are reluctant to discuss these issues...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh Jarvis 11 min Dahlia 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 2 hr agree 715
travis wayne 8 hr derrr 8
misty wagers hayes 20 hr curious 1
To the mayor of Manchester ky 23 hr Dingo 2
Andrea Sizemore Ruth Mon Wondering 1
looking for some love.. Mon Looking 5
More from around the web

Manchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages