Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,856

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112086 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Okey dokey. I guess revelations can change due to politics. Weird how god seems to be so hamstrung by human foibles. You would have thought that if plural marriage was something god wanted you to do he could have found a way to make sure you could do it.

It's almost as if...almost like...he isn't there at all!

Nah, perish the thought.
Wasn't about politics, it was about furthering the church and building Zion in preparation for the return of Jesus Christ. Plural marriage served its purpose at that time and was no longer necessary. Nor do I think the majority could practice it without lust interfering (my opinion).

It isn't that surprising to me that they had to move away from persecution and set up house in the middle of a desert, and still people jacked with them. It's pretty similar to Moses' story. God could have killed all the Egyptians and let the Hebrews stay there and kick their feet up in homes already built. God doesn't have a history of handing things over to the saints with no effort of their own. Again I think it is because they wouldn't appreciate it as much.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#112087 Aug 31, 2013
Abrahammmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion on it is the Earth is over populated and abortions should be free. No late term abortions that the pro life people love to put on their signs for the shock factor. I'm pro choice and for abortions in early pregnancies.
Abortions are not cheap and most people can not afford one. They end up having a child they don't want, that isn't raised in a good environment and is a strain on the welfare system. People who live in poverty are more willing to commit crimes that other wise the wouldn't have. If I was broke I would sell drugs before I let my children go without, most people would.
Personally I think everyone should be put on birth control and you should have to meet certain requirements before you can reproduce. I think that would solve a lot of problems but that's just my opinion. I think anyone receiving government assistance should be required to be on some type of BC until they get back on their feet.
Although I acknowledge the last part of your message is not going to happen and shouldn't.... I still agree. Lol

I wouldn't actually want that... but I think the world would be a better place as a result. Its just wrong.

Location hidden

#112088 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>My grandmother was a real person. So there's a big difference there. Did god ever once make you cookies?

Yes, I know people take this seriously. That's why I don't walk around saying "god dammit" all the time. But people need to get past that sort of superstitious nonsense. So we need a few "GDs" here and there, just to remind them.
You are not able to see that this is not superstition for others. It may be to you, but not to the people that it offends. You obviously missed my point.
No, the world does not need more profanity. It does not need more hate. It does not need more things to steer children wrong or desensitize them. It doesn't need more sex on regular prime time TV. It doesn't need more people that smoke in restaurants while you are trying to eat.
The attitude you have about this subject means you don't care what offends others so you are just going to be offensive wherever you want. This is selfish. If that's what you want to be, no one can stop you. Go for it. I give up.
With this mentality, nudists should have the right to do their thing in Walmart.

My opinion is that people should be considerate of others, and friendly, as this tends to brighten people's day. I believe there should be a broad effort to be nicer to those we come in contact with. Sorry you don't agree.

Location hidden

#112089 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I went to church a few times a year. And many different ones, which I'm thankful for. I got saved when I was a teen. Had my Jesus years. I've casually studied the Bible, including reading the Pentateuch among others.

I am NOT an expert. But I am not ignorant either.

Since I have been inside the fold, as it were, I can safely argue that you are wrong here. I do understand it. I was there. And I got out.

If you want to say that I was never a "real" Christian, then welcome to the No True Scotsman Fallacy Club.

My whole point was that the Bible sends mixed messages. The idea that it is a unified whole is ludicrous unless you want to employ the weird methods of Ancient Interpretation in which you can basically read anything into it that you desire.

Like Michael Jackson.
I spent 3 semesters in Chemistry labs too, and had several biology and physics classes too, but that doesn't make me a scientist.

Sorry, but I've seen your interpretations of Bible stories. Remember?

The scriptures were not meant to be confusing and vague. This was the effect of Satan's influence to confuse people and lead God's children astray. Hence the need for a prophet to clarify and rectify.

Location hidden

#112090 Aug 31, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>When did Adam give anyone a "higher law"? I don't remember that part. Can you post the verse of Genesis where this happens?

What wicked did the babies do on earth? Can you cite the verses where these wicked deeds are named?
Adam was taught the law after building the altar to worship The Lord. This is how there were High Priests in the OT.

Babies did nothing. Their parents were the sinners.

Location hidden

#112091 Aug 31, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Botany, astrophysics, geology, archaeology, paleontology, biology, genetics, common sense.
Concise? Peruse any Encyclopedia. Plants didn't come before the sun. The Earth is not flat (and never was). There was no Adam and Eve. There was no global flood. There was no Tower of Babel confusing of languages. Man cannot live for 3 days in a fish. Staves do not turn into snakes. The Red Sea was not parted. Heck, even Nazareth post dates Jesus. Religion claims all of these things and more are were real and happened. Where is YOUR reliable evidence to substantiate YOUR claims? >ONLY< within the human written texts of your religion.
You were speaking of the BOM before, now we're moving to the Old Testament? Which debate table are we sitting at?

Location hidden

#112092 Aug 31, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The main point is, it is what I got from the bible and thus I have no reason to be jealous of YaA.
But if you wish to prove me wrong, then go for it. Show where it says I must believe in the Jesus and follow what he says to have salvation?
Haha, seriously?? Read the New Testament again. Then we will talk. Jesus plainly taught what is necessary for salvation. It is not guaranteed for everyone.
Nephilim

Somerset, KY

#112093 Aug 31, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Different people. Different times. Different laws.
Of course Moses was against freedom of religion. He freed the Hebrews, who were all worshipers of The Lord. It's not like he freed a diverse set of people mixed with different religious backgrounds. This is not the same as Muslims killing Christians. Im not sure how you see it that way. They didn't invade another territory and wage war.
This was a group that all believed the same, and then decided to change when Moses didn't come back for a while. These were some weak people that were ready to change beliefs to whatever whim hit them next. This is why they could not follow the higher law.
I always wondered about the golden calf story. Seems like after watching the ten plagues, splitting the sea and everything else, they wouldn't have built a false God and started worshiping it the first time Moses took off for a minute. Kind of makes me think that either they really didn't see those "miracles" or the didn't switch Gods right in the middle of everything.

Now if neither ever happened and it's just a story, that makes a lot of sense. If you saw God part the sea would you worship a golden calf?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#112094 Aug 31, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite the moralist, aren't you Q?
A couple week old fetus is not viable outside of the womb. By religie rationale, a brain dead human who is not viable without life support can NEVER EVER EVER have the plug pulled - even with a living will. A condom is a death sentence for a soul who was never conceived - shall we execute the makers of Trojan for the High Crime of mass murder?
If a law is written that deems it unconstitutional to "force" children to attend school because it violates their liberties, you would okay with that - because it is defined as such by a law.
A powerful lobby group that can have all taxes waived for a special interest - such as an insurance company, a pharmaceutical lab or a brokerage firm is above reproach for not paying taxes - because they can have the law construed in their financial favor. By your reckoning that is right, just and good - because (their bought and paid for) law says it is.
I don't worship the Bible, and I'll be damned if I'll worship the G.D. government, either.
Nope not a moralist in the least, Not a Moral aspect to my position, no religious aspect, no touchy feely poor little children aspect... I am Against Unjustified homicide of Human Beings... I don't think we should kill off large populations to save the planet, We should not go out on the weekend for a night of frolic and shoot people in the head.... I place Human Life above all other life forms... Not for any haughty moral reason, just because I am Human and Humans make the rules... If Dogs made the rules then they would get to say dogs are above all other live forms...

Now I would have Zero argument if the US Justice system through the legal process of constitutional valid law sets a date and say Human Life begins at a specific date certain... Before that abortion would not be homicide and if someone kills a fetus in a DUI crash or by kicking a woman in the belly he would only be charge with a bodily injury, assault or what ever the appropriate charge would be and never charge with Homicide... And all prisoners that are in prison for killing a fetus younger than date set have all charges and sentences dropped and expunged from their records concerning homicide...

Until then I stand by my view that any and all homicides should individual require legal justification before the courts including everyone involved in the conspiracy to commit the homicide, Including financial providers... To me it is no difference that to receive money from someone so you can hire a hit man to kill someone... Under some circumstances that might be deemed Justifiable but should be before the courts on each individual event to be justified...

Location hidden

#112095 Aug 31, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Yea but you were having a Hissy fit about the term God Dammit... So I don't get why that makes you upset... If Grand Maw Dammit, Mom Dammit, Pop's Dammit was a issue I could understand... But asking God to damn It, what ever It is is not calling God anything or even being disrespectful of a God or his Believers....
Normally this phrase is not uttered when the person wishes to actually damn something. And it certainly is not a prayer. So it is taking the Lord's name in vain. It's offensive, whether it is to you or not, doesn't matter. The n word probably doesn't offend you either, but you know it's offensive to others.

Somerset, KY

#112096 Aug 31, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
"I was not making a touchy feely." That was apparent. No misunderstanding there.
<quoted text>
I think it hinges on your definition of "unjustified."
It's a flexible word.
Human beings justify all kinds of things.
Just look at terrorists. Look at Yaa.
<quoted text>
I can agree with that wholeheartedly.
<quoted text>
Once more, I agree.
<quoted text>
That would be nice.
<quoted text>
It's everyone's problem...but realistically, few of us can actually do anything about it.
I'll slide by all the parts we agree and go to the Justification issue... The individual that commits a homicide under our laws does not get to make the final determination of what is and is not justified... And is left to the courts and legal system to decide but on an individual basis.. Lets take the Travon Martin homicide... one side would say it's not justified and the other would say it is, and with any such homicide the law cannot just take one sides word for it... The Police investigate make a determination and pass that along to the prosecutor who makes a finding and passes along to a judge or Grand Jury who make a determination and pass it to a trial judge and jury for final determination as to is it was or was not Justified.... Same should apply to All Homicides and everyone involved in facilitating said homicide...

Same should apply to all homicides and until a date certain is set on when a fetus is legally designated as a human being then if it is given standing as a human being by giving it legal protection as a human being when some one kills one any time one is killed after the date of protection is killing a human being, Homicide... So without a date certain Abortion is Homicide and should be Justified through the same process as any other Homicide...

Otherwise we might as well say it's ok to kill 10 year old's because they are a bother and we were justified because they cost to much... Or heck as another poster pointed out the planet in his opinion is over crowded and let's just do a mass homicide of a few billion humans to make life easier for the rest of us....
Nephilim

Somerset, KY

#112097 Aug 31, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Normally this phrase is not uttered when the person wishes to actually damn something. And it certainly is not a prayer. So it is taking the Lord's name in vain. It's offensive, whether it is to you or not, doesn't matter. The n word probably doesn't offend you either, but you know it's offensive to others.
I never understood why people got mad over the word. There are many Gods and God is a title so it's not taking his name in vain. Back during my Christian days, Jehovah damn it would of been offensive just as I could understand Jesus damn it, Christ damn it and any name for their God being offensive. God damn it is just to general of a term to get upset unless you're just looking for a reason to be upset.

Once again this is just my opinion so I apologize if I offended anyone.

Somerset, KY

#112098 Aug 31, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The N word most certainly does offend me because it is an insult direct at someone, I am offended by any insult directed at anyone except is response to an insult directed at someone... That way I make the effort to respond to some rambling posts by saying "That's idiotic" if the poster is just posting what I percieve as idiotic ramblings I don't say "You are an Idiot" unless in the post the poster made direct insults directed at someone... See how that works...

But god dammit is not an insult directed at anyone at least I cannot see where it is even a directed insult at God since God is not a name in the first place. It is a Title... And even the Christian God Jehova makes it clear in the ten commandments it's not his name as he say "You will have No Other Gods before me" There are Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Indian Gods and 1000's of Gods in mans history and when someone says God Dammit they are not taking any God's name in vain...

Location hidden

#112099 Aug 31, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious. Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........
Not asking you for respect. Just pointing out Q schooled you. It was fun to watch.

Location hidden

#112100 Aug 31, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Hee Hee, birds of a feather flock together. Right now its just "religummist" and "dimwit" but "yes the liar" will fly in soon.
And they will cicle.
Maybe the "sozi" will show up.
Lmao.

Show where I cast the first stone at anyone.
Still whining?

Location hidden

#112101 Aug 31, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Should not say "cast the first stone", that religie "special topix understanding" will get it twisted.

Instead.

Show where I have insulted someone that was not a direct response to an insult or as you religies like to do an "implied" insult toward myself.

I'll wait.
Go back to the first time you addressed me.

Location hidden

#112102 Aug 31, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Now it just sounds like a third god.
Not a third God, but part of the Godhead. The Holy Ghost is not the same as the Father. The HG is subject to the Father.

Location hidden

#112103 Aug 31, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
I guess you forgot where you implied I was a "chicken shiite prejudice idiot".

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/winchester-ky...

And "religummist" just like to say "meathead" is used by religies alot you guys should change it up.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/winchester-ky...

Now lets address your religie thinking of women and children.
You say "like a school girl with her panties all bunched up" thats your insult and you probably really tapped that last key. Now "yes the liar" and "dimwit" will be proud of you for sure.

"religummist" says "I won"

Lmfao
Let me guess, calling me Dimwit isn't casting a stone either? Haha oops

Location hidden

#112104 Aug 31, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Then the Holy Ghost is not equal to the other two Gods you worship. The LDS explanation of the trinity does not seem logical.

I think you have this backwards. Jesus had flesh and bones therefore he must have been a man. The apostles saw him thinking they saw a ghost or apparation of the dead Jesus. Now the bible says no man shall see God and yet live. What that means is that Jesus could not be a God because he was seen.(I didn't make this up it's sat that right in the bible.)

1. When did Jesus become a God?

Jesus becomes a God when he was exalted to that position. What did the Father give him? He gave him something to pour out. Was it a seperate being called the Holy Ghost to boss around, no. He gave Jesus power and Jesus use this power to give to his apostles power.

Acts 2:33
Now he is exalted to the place of highest honor in heaven, at God's right hand. And the Father, as he had promised, gave him the Holy Spirit to pour out upon us, just as you see and hear today.

2. Jesus showing he is a man and not a heavenly spirit

Luke 24:39
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

3. Proof Jesus was a man not in a God state yet. If he was in a God state all who saw him would have died instantly and the people did not.

Exodus 33:19

…18Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!" 19And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; compassion." 20But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"…

Luke 24:33-39
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

4. No Flesh,blood or bones can enter Heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:50

I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Comments welcomed.
I only worship one God. He is the Father of us all, including Jesus Christ. I worship Jesus Christ as well because He is the Son of God and atoned for my sins and made it possible to return to our Father in Heaven. The Holy Ghost I do not worship, but commune with frequently. He is the Spirit that has the responsibilities to witness to all that Jesus is the Son of God and that God lives, as well as confirm gospel truth to us, and comfort us.

Jesus was a spirit before coming to earth and gaining His physical body, just like you and me. One cannot be exalted unless he has a physical body, as Jesus demonstrated. And since all those that are saved will be joint heirs with Christ, it only makes sense that we can be exalted too if we follow all the commandments and repent of our sins.

You misunderstand the last quote. Flesh and bone alone can't enter Heaven, but we all will be resurrected which means we receive our bodies back (glorified). This means our spirit and body can go to Heaven.
yes

Hyden, KY

#112105 Aug 31, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I only worship one God. He is the Father of us all, including Jesus Christ. I worship Jesus Christ as well because He is the Son of God and atoned for my sins and made it possible to return to our Father in Heaven. The Holy Ghost I do not worship, but commune with frequently. He is the Spirit that has the responsibilities to witness to all that Jesus is the Son of God and that God lives, as well as confirm gospel truth to us, and comfort us.
Jesus was a spirit before coming to earth and gaining His physical body, just like you and me. One cannot be exalted unless he has a physical body, as Jesus demonstrated. And since all those that are saved will be joint heirs with Christ, it only makes sense that we can be exalted too if we follow all the commandments and repent of our sins.
You misunderstand the last quote. Flesh and bone alone can't enter Heaven, but we all will be resurrected which means we receive our bodies back (glorified). This means our spirit and body can go to Heaven.
i see things like you do.and worship the same god the father.the body we get back is it the same body from the first world age?you know when Christ was risen he didn't look like the flesh Christ did.they didn't know him he had to show them the nail prints in his hand then they new him.so in the 3th world age the 1000 yrs with Christ here on earth .it said we would have a new body no flesh.but we must have looked like we do now before we become flesh.in the 1'th world age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eric Edwards Law Office 4 hr Concerned Citizen 1
Strange 4 wheeler activity on Rt. 66 7 hr William 7
lil boy 13 hr Sad 15
Can you make it to heaven if you overdose? (Feb '12) 16 hr Mr Wisdom 73
Looking for Carrie Swafford. (Mar '13) 19 hr Eww 19
Southern justice Tue Karen 42
Residents of CC Tue thanks 8
Manchester Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Manchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Manchester News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Manchester

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick