Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 168764 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111426 Aug 23, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't choose the punishment when God judges
No, but you chose the claims of the narrative. I seriously doubt a god had the baby murdered, but this is the narrative you chose to believe. It fits the ruthless god you worship. It fits the barbaric nature of your superstition. It fits the mentality of ancient men. So it has become the "word of god" to billions of believers.
To me it is but the word of ancient barbaric men who were extremely superstitious and thought kings had a short line to god.

Take the outsiders test. A god who murders the innocent babies like this is not a moral and just god.

If you are looking to this god for morals, then if you follow its ways, you could become a killer of babies to punish the sins of the father. Of course this is not a just system.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111427 Aug 23, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you think my beliefs are irrational doesn't mean that they are. And since you have already judged me based off of the decision I made to join this church, then you automatically assume you are smarter than me and therefore become arrogant in your posts towards me.
I don't work well with arrogance. So if you really want to know my deepest beliefs and thoughts and see me throw them out on the table for you to dissect, then come down the arrogance ladder a few rungs. Understand what offends believers and back off of it.
I don't mind having respectful discussions about my beliefs. It's my favorite topic. But the profanity, GD's, and insults prevent a respectful discussion.
Just sayin
I must point out the extreme arrogance of believers here in order for you to understand how hypocritical you are being.
Believers claim to "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt we non believers will be condemned in some manner by this god of yours for the simple act of non belief. This is the most arrogant idea I can imagine. Thus I would say you do very well with arrogance.
The ten commandments come from arrogance. The god you believe in demands you worship it. It demands you believe it is real. The arrogance is extreme, and you do very well with that. But of course double standards are the way of theism.

I get that the commandments arrogantly demand one not use the gods name in vein, and it might offend you when it is used, but claiming it is due to arrogance and thus not tolerated is simply a double standard.
The command is an arrogant command, and protesters use it arrogantly in protest.
I do not claim either is good, but then again, I try to maintain consistent standards.

Consistent standards is a tool I use to determine the likelihood of truths.
So when I see you and other believers needing double standards to believe in a god, I determine this god must be myth.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111428 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
“Thou shalt not believe in causation.”
Atheism’s creed flies in the face of the fundamental law of science—the law of causation. One writer, James Gillis, expressed it quaintly.
“Only in Atheism does the spring rise higher than the source, the effect exists without the cause, life comes from a stone, blood from a turnip, a silk purse from a sow’s ear, and a Beethoven Symphony from a kitten’s walk across the keys.”
In logic there is a maxim which affirms that “every effect must have an adequate cause.” Since the Universe exists, the question that challenges the thinking person is this: What was the “cause?” Whence came the “matter” of which the Universe is constituted? The philosophy of unbelief has suggested two possibilities.
The Universe is eternal.
The idea that the Universe has always existed is out of vogue today—even with most skeptics. Robert Jastrow, a professed agnostic, has argued (upon the basis of scientific data, e.g., the Second Law of Thermodynamics) that “modern science denies an eternal existence to the Universe, either in the past or in the future”(1977, 15).
The Universe created itself from nothing!
Others have postulated that the Universe created itself from nothing. Professor Victor Stenger described it in this way:“[T]he universe is probably the result of a random quantum fluctuation in a spaceless, timeless void.”(1987, 26-27).
That meaningless assemblage of words is the nearest thing to a literary “black hole” one could imagine (so dense, no light can escape).
First, if there was ever a time when nothing existed, nothing would exist today—for nothing produces nothing but nothingness!
Second, there are no scientific data that indicates matter has the ability to create itself. If such were the case, there ought to be some evidence of it; but the First Law of Thermodynamics argues that no matter is being created. Logically, then, one is driven to the conclusion that the Universe had a non-material commencement. But atheism casts logic aside and opts for a self-serving superstition.
“Thou shalt not observe order or design.”
Atheism cannot explain the order or design that is characteristic of our Universe.
Note that the very term, Uni -verse, suggests a mechanism of unity. The ancient Greeks called the Universe kosmos, which conveyed the basic meaning of “arrangement” or “order,” because they observed that the “world” was characterized by order.
The heavens are regulated by “ordinances”(cf. Job 38:33; Jeremiah 31:35). It hardly seems reasonable that this structured adornment is the result of a gigantic explosion (the mythical “big bang”), and yet that is precisely what skeptics believe.
If the Universe is characterized by design, it must have had a Designer, for it is a fundamental premise of “critical thinking” that design demands a designer.
Atheist professor Paul Ricci has conceded that if the Universe reveals “design,” there must have been a designer (1986, 190). Elsewhere I have argued the case for the “design” of the Universe in greater detail (Jackson, 2000).
The human body, with its integrated systems, e.g., bones, muscles, nerves, circulation, digestion, etc., eloquently testifies that the human being has been “fearfully and wonderfully made”(Psalm 139:14).
Dr. William Beck, a skeptical professor at Harvard, authored a textbook on physiology which he called Human Design (1971). The title conceded more than the author intended. Is it reasonable to
First, this assumes all atheists believe a certain way about how the universe came to be. Reminder, atheism is not a belief in how the universe started, it is simply the lack of belief in a god.

Second, this does not cover all ideas of how the universe started. So the article is a straw man argument.

It does not cover how I think the universe "may" have started. I explained it several times and you have yet to refute the logic.
This article does not refute the logic of my idea, or Stephen Hawking's idea.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111429 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey , Duquette
As you have stated " This is your hobby , as with the other atheists that infest this website.
You are here to agitate and instigate with your boorish insights into human nature.
You will reap what you sow.
The poison you all concoct with your ludicrous philosophy , is the same drink that may quench your thirst as you gleefully sing"
Kool aid ,kool aid taste great , We want kool aid , can't wait.
The theme song for that false and deceptive teacher ,Jim Jones.
Not sure why you make so many assumptions from the claim that this is a hobby. How can you know my motives for my hobby? How arrogant.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#111430 Aug 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> That is some quality workmanship.
Thanks, with my hands it takes a bit longer to get stuff done these days but have to keep pushing to keep them working... If you are interested here are a couple of may latest projects to exercise my hands... Oh an on the scoot check out the seat... That took me all winter after my last set of surgeries at the VA to stitch... I got the leather and lace off Ebay ...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11043992667178...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11043992667178...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111431 Aug 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Been building scoots and riding them since I was 16... First bike I ever owned was a 1951 Triumph Thunderbird,,,
I have a Triumph Scrambler. It is a remake of the old model.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111432 Aug 23, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you think my beliefs are irrational doesn't mean that they are. And since you have already judged me based off of the decision I made to join this church, then you automatically assume you are smarter than me and therefore become arrogant in your posts towards me.
I don't work well with arrogance. So if you really want to know my deepest beliefs and thoughts and see me throw them out on the table for you to dissect, then come down the arrogance ladder a few rungs. Understand what offends believers and back off of it.
I don't mind having respectful discussions about my beliefs. It's my favorite topic. But the profanity, GD's, and insults prevent a respectful discussion.
Just sayin
This is arrogance.

mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey , Duquette
As you have stated " This is your hobby , as with the other atheists that infest this website.
You are here to agitate and instigate with your boorish insights into human nature.
You will reap what you sow.
The poison you all concoct with your ludicrous philosophy , is the same drink that may quench your thirst as you gleefully sing"
Kool aid ,kool aid taste great , We want kool aid , can't wait.
The theme song for that false and deceptive teacher ,Jim Jones.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111433 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist asking what?
I am but a simple self reader. My perspective is one of preference for the New Testament, as I have stated many time- I don't believe in barbaricness, vengenece and all that vile dark age nonsense.
I also believe in The Golden Rule...and
Karma.
So you "prefer" the new testament but do not follow the advice of the new testament? Ok, I see how this works with you now.

You might believe in the golden rule, but looking at your vile posts, it is clear you do not follow the golden rule. Normal for hypocrites.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111434 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
I will be able to answer that question , although it was not addressed to me , but was in response to something I posted
Obama was up in Buffalo today.
Gave a speech at University of Buffalo , which I attended with my son.
Had a chance to speak with him .
He assured me he is a Christian.
He did admit to having converted from Jewish to a Black man.
Showed me his birth certificate.
His birth name was Baruch Bamstein , which at his conversion he changed to Barack Obama.
I am sure you are ignorant to how racist this post is. You are not forgiven.

#111435 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have a Triumph Scrambler. It is a remake of the old model.
I always love the Triumps, other than the Lucas electrics on them which were horrible... I have owned 9 trumps over the years but my fav of all time were the Trident's (Not the new crotch rocket versions)... But my pick as the Motor I most like was the Areal Square Four... I owned one back in the late 70's and was planning on building a custom scoot around it but had to have a major surgery and never got to it, ended up trading for a new sportster in 81....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111436 Aug 23, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Jehovah's Witnesses can answer that question for you as well....give it a try.
Well he did just ask one and evidently they (you) refuse to answer. How many do we need to ask before we get an answer?
ggff

Maggie Valley, NC

#111437 Aug 23, 2013
Gggg

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111438 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called discernment. If it is not Biblical, beware.
In my view Jim and Tammy Baker were not preaching the Gospel.
They were raising money , not to help the needy , but , to build Hotels restaurants and apartment buildings.
That would be a huge warning sign to anyone to beware.
That is not what Jesus called his disciples to do.Not Biblical
Jim Jones claimed to be Jesus incarnate. Jesus warned us about these false prophets. The moment an individual claims to be Jesus BEWARE. When a preacher wants to move you to Guyana because your church is being investigated by the authorities BEWARE.Not Biblical
Same applies to David Korech.
When a televangelist tells you to donate to his church because God will reward you 10 fold BEWARE.. Not Biblical
Give or lend , without expecting anything in return.
The Lord ,loves a Cheerful giver.
So no, you need not wait till the flock gets killed off.
God provided you with a brain to be used wisely , not as a hatrack...
Well the bible does say, give and you shall receive, so they are not out of line with the bible here.
You just eluded to receiving love from a god from a giver. I am sure many a money hungry preacher has used this line.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111439 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't launch till you did...and since you asked-
All of the above- except the last two.
In this Obammer economy, it's a good thing don't need fixodent around here, just trying to get a tube of toothpaste every now and again is challenge enough. And if I need any mental flossing-I find a good book. Try to anyway, hard to find a good one, with out ears on them these days, for St Petesake.
So you are to poor to buy toothpaste? At least it is an excuse for those brown teeth.

The economy has been rising fairly steady now for several years since Bush had his extreme downward spiral of an economy.
Now you can complain about it, and try to spin it as if Obama put us in a bad economy, but it is just a denial of facts.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111440 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Will You PUHleeze Stop twisting and Distorting and Acting Like you have aNy Clue as to What I might (or might Not ) be thinking?
Thank you.
Thanks for proving my point. Nice diversion.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think some are just not allowing some information to be looked at logically. So it is more of a denial issue than a lack of logic issue. Note how Du what keeps avoiding the meat of most issues. He sticks to the surface where the denial is safe. Once you pry deep into the issue, he runs and claims we are persecuting him.
This is Sista's excuse also.
YaA just runs and starts ranting about something else or starts quoting his preacher.

#111441 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well he did just ask one and evidently they (you) refuse to answer. How many do we need to ask before we get an answer?
I think you have to let them into your home before you ask them stuff to get the party line laid out for you, But the last batch that came to my house came with a couple kids and a mom & pop operation and they would not hang around when I kept taking about the benefits of being a Amway distributor.....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111442 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I no longer believe in libuhrulTicism, beyond 500 yards or so of my own personal world.
It's BULLCHIT...so I'm adapting a new extremely selfish and self serving atheist attitude to go along with my belief in MERITocracy...which only allots for CHARITY for anything outside my own little 500 feet or so world- only very on rare occasions (see obammer economy) and Only when and if I feel like it.
But You can be as libuhrul with YOUR anything as you would like to be. Just stay away from mine.
If it uses the language of a Christian right winger (obammer) it probably is one.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111443 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure you are ignorant to how racist this post is. You are not forgiven.
Wow,,,,,,
I am sure that Barrack Obama would understand my comments to be meant as a joke in response to an attempt by an Atheist to bait me.
FYI I not only voted for Obama twice , but also contributed to his campaign.
I am a great admirer of MLK and I have accepted a Jew as my Lord and saviour... That being ,Jesus Christ...
As an aside; I do not consider those who wrote the Bible , as inspired by God , as ignorant goatherders.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111444 Aug 23, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

However , in the scheme of things ,all of that is meaningless.
What is important is that.... Our God lives and Christ is Lord.
Arrogance.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111445 Aug 23, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
See.. that seems to be a serious problem for some you athiest types. You want judge others based upon scriptures that you "don't believe" in.
Now let's look at the meaning of the word "hypocrite"
Definition of HYPOCRITE (fro good old Merriam and Webster)
1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2: a person who acts in CONtradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
Huh......
And you put on the false appearance of having the virtues of your religion. But you clearly do not follow the advice of said religion. I do not need to be of this religion to point out when someone is being hypocritical of said religion. Why would I?

I would assume if you believe Jesus is god, then you would follow his advice. I suppose I should not assume this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible questions 1 hr No one special 3
Ashley and Billy joe 2 hr Family 5
English bulldogs 2 hr Bully 1
Beve Begley (Mar '17) 2 hr Flubber 21
House Enterprises stealing people's money! 3 hr John 3
ROGER HOSKINS for sheriff 4 hr Tommy 3
Tasha Treadway (Apr '13) 7 hr seekingwondering 31

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance