Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,646)

Showing posts 92,901 - 92,920 of128,003
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No ax grinding, I want to see our species improve and that's not what AA is about. Read the 12 steps instead of just jumping to the defense of something that "sound good." Lots of things "sound good" until you actually look at them a bit closer.
Also, no they don't, they get paid by medical insurance and state taxes, always.
Eugenicists wanted to see our species "improve." What are you proposing - that cirrhosis of the liver and crack cocaine overdoses are natural selection? Why not euthanize people who are near-sighted, diabetic or "too short?"

I cannot with conscience contest the fabrications of Bible thumpers and give atheists and agnostics a free pass. I've known people who were killed by drunk drivers, failed organs, overdose, IV acquired diseases, by drug related violence.... As much as I think that the Bible is a fairy tale, I'll not pass by a Salvation Army bell ringer or Girl Scout cookie table to stand on a "principle" of radical intolerance.
I don't care if YaA got clean from a ministry, from willpower or thru a self help group - I applaud him for it. Even if AA has a lower success rate than some fancy Beverly Hills clinic (and the Hollywood crowd seems to debunk that) the fact that it has been around a long time and has spawned so many imitators indicates that it has helped more alcoholics than churches and hospitals have.

At your urging, I looked at the 12 steps. They mention "power greater than ourselves" - which could be anything, and "God as we understood him" - which could be anything. I don't find any references to Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Shiva, etc. Apparently, whoever wrote the literature might have been a similar brand of deist as the founding fathers.
Then wikipedia lists what they call the 12 traditions and it looks like #6 and #7 kinda puts a kink in your claims of AA taking tax and insurance money.
You'd mentioned N.A. and I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcotics_Anonym...
During a time that the Repukes propose diverting even more money from community resources in favor of building more prisons for corporations to get fat off of, I think I'll "jump to the defense of something" that sounds even better when you look at it closer. Whether it's a 12 step program, a soup kitchen or assistance for the elderly - I don't criticize good works and throw out the baby with the bathwater just because somebody says "God" or wears a cross, Star of David or pentacle on a necklace.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
And George Washington didn't really cut down a cherry tree.
Your point is?
You live in a nation that let's you believe what you wish to, but so does the REST of the nation.
And they are just as entitled to believe whatever, as you are not to.
So who's the hypocrite?
You either believe in the RIGHTS of people to believe as they wish, or you do not.
Which is it.
I have no beliefs, and I certainly do not share the same delusion you display. If someone claimed that Spiderman was real, would you not want them to receive professional help?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
"Literally" derived of ignorance, or based on more rational reasoning that the corners of the earth could've just included maybe 100 square miles?
The known lands were far more extensive than 10 miles by 10 miles 4500 years ago. There is firm evidence that there was regular trade across at least 3 continents - so "every living thing on the face of the Earth" was not Noah County.
Why do y'all continually try to rationalize something that clearly did not happen is a historical fact?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Eugenicists wanted to see our species "improve." What are you proposing - that cirrhosis of the liver and crack cocaine overdoses are natural selection? Why not euthanize people who are near-sighted, diabetic or "too short?"
I cannot with conscience contest the fabrications of Bible thumpers and give atheists and agnostics a free pass. I've known people who were killed by drunk drivers, failed organs, overdose, IV acquired diseases, by drug related violence.... As much as I think that the Bible is a fairy tale, I'll not pass by a Salvation Army bell ringer or Girl Scout cookie table to stand on a "principle" of radical intolerance.
I don't care if YaA got clean from a ministry, from willpower or thru a self help group - I applaud him for it. Even if AA has a lower success rate than some fancy Beverly Hills clinic (and the Hollywood crowd seems to debunk that) the fact that it has been around a long time and has spawned so many imitators indicates that it has helped more alcoholics than churches and hospitals have.
At your urging, I looked at the 12 steps. They mention "power greater than ourselves" - which could be anything, and "God as we understood him" - which could be anything. I don't find any references to Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Shiva, etc. Apparently, whoever wrote the literature might have been a similar brand of deist as the founding fathers.
Then wikipedia lists what they call the 12 traditions and it looks like #6 and #7 kinda puts a kink in your claims of AA taking tax and insurance money.
During a time that the Repukes propose diverting even more money from community resources in favor of building more prisons for corporations to get fat off of, I think I'll "jump to the defense of something" that sounds even better when you look at it closer. Whether it's a 12 step program, a soup kitchen or assistance for the elderly - I don't criticize good works and throw out the baby with the bathwater just because somebody says "God" or wears a cross, Star of David or pentacle on a necklace.
Where did I ever call addiction "natural selection?"

Also, you are suggesting allowing them to force people to trade one bad addiction for another, that's not very caring. There are other programs available, and again, they present a lower cost with better results than anything based on the "12 step, you are useless and only some god can do anything" junk. You are not supporting positive change at all, I do.

Want to know something, out of more than a hundred people with major addictions that I have known, the few who stop have only one method that has worked, only one ... they simply chose to stop.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
IF PEOPLE could see WHO JESUS REALLY IS....EVERYONE would b RUNNING to Him. Literally RUNNING!
God bless you
Like a 5k? Or maybe a 10k? Anything more than that and I'm out. I have a bum knee that kills me after 5 or 6 miles...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't read self agendized promoting hater propoganda.
Exactly why I refuse to take the bible seriously!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
May be hard to explain here but I will attempt. Since I was young (before we tend to complicate life) I knew God (Jesus) was real. I could feel His presence..His calling (if you will) on my life. I knew He had purpose for me..I wasn't aware of my sins until I ask Him to save me..(was blind but now I see)...after reaching my teen years I rebelled ... I was typical teen BUT God even then was PROTECTING me..I could give you situations, examples of how He has helped me, protected me, I don't call anything a coincidence or luck. I know when MY God has intervened. God will SHOW you He is real if you want to know, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Be open to what He shows you tho...don't be in denial mode..I guarantee it would be the BEST choice you could ever make ... Investigate with an open heart and cry out to YOUR maker. He is ALIVE.. He WILL hear you and He will ANSWER. He is crazy in LOVE with YOU kitty. Crazy in love...His ARMS are open. IF PEOPLE could see WHO JESUS REALLY IS....EVERYONE would b RUNNING to Him. Literally RUNNING!
God bless you
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."

Looks like someone never grew up and still Believes in Santa Clause...

Just Plain Goofy...
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What translation is that?
It was necessary because they didn't have Google back then. For other people on different continents to hear the Gospel, Jesus told us He was going to tend to them.
Douay-Rheims Bible

Are you now refuting God's ability to be omnipresent by suggesting that God needed Google?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Douay-Rheims Bible
Are you now refuting God's ability to be omnipresent by suggesting that God needed Google?
Well, according to your own myths, Google would have been a lot of help to your god.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly people don't need "OTHER" religions or "another version" of the "HOLY BIBLE". Another great way satan CONFUSES people.
Keep it as close as you can to the KJV...I understand use of. NKJV, NIV, Amplified, The Message, American Standard, Common English, etc.. To help some better understand, but NOT the Book of Mormon or the "Watchtower"....free yourself first then u can "HELP" others thru the Holy Spirit.
Excuse me! please don't compare Jehovah's Witnesses with the Mormons! There is abosutely no comparison. There are over 40,000 different demonations claiming to be Christian and the majority claim to base their teachings on the KJV Bible. Maybe you should take a closer look!

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey DONT waste your time with the father of lies and deception lol. U will only be deceived and MORE BROKEN in the end. Satan can't do a thing for me. I LAUGH at him. HE LOSES in the end. BAHAHAHA. Take that devil. U LOSE U LOSE U LOSE U LOSE U LOSE
PRAISE GOD forever :-)
ROTFLMFAO Since there is no god and no Satan than YOU lose because you have lost your mind YAA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Blahblahblah wrote:
<quoted text>Santanist cherry picking?

Oh the irony :-)
Just trying to understand his beliefs

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>WHY DO WE NEED "another" record!? What's WRONG with the MAIN one? Lol? Sorry honey ... Don't b deceived like these others. At least you acknowledge there is a higher power. Now let's just make sure you are worshipping the one and only.
I do read lots of other books. I have read some of the Book of Mormon. There is NO NEED for this book?!
Well, look at how many different denominations we have that all use the same Bible. They all have different doctrines. They interpret the same scripture differently, and they all think they are doing the right way. That is why the second witness is necessary. Even Christ sent out 2 witnesses when He sent the Apostles out to teach.

God is a god of order and structure. I assure you that He meant for there to be one gospel.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>Douay-Rheims Bible

No, I'm explaining that communication by people between continents was not possible 2000 years ago. This is why Jesus tended to other sheep. It would be better for them to hear the Gospel from Him personally. The BOM is simply the story of that visit to people in the American continents. Really, you should read the whole thing and decide for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>The Mormon and the JWs believe a lot of the same things. I always thought it funny how the JWs complained about the book of Mormons and the Mormons complained about the watchtower's literature and NWT. Here's a list I found on the similarities of the religions.

Have an 1800s American origin

Do not believe in the Trinity

Believe Jesus was created and a Spirit-brother of Satan

Excommunicate

Preach from door to door

Have been rocked by scandal (Both Russell and Rutherford separated from their wives and spent much time in court not only for freedom of worship, but over business dealings)

Borrowed symbols and terminology from the Freemasons, such as the all Seeing Eye and the pyramid.

After Joseph Smith died the church split over who should be the successor. The Watchtower Society split several times with there now being numerous religions that stem from Russell, such as Russellites, Bible Students and Jehovahs Witnesses

Believe(d) God is on a planet (Russell and Rutherford both taught we would be resurrected to the Pleiades Constellation)

Feel Christendom is apostate

Mormons are the only one true religion that you must be baptised in for salvation

Individual salvation requires faith, repentance, baptism and continued righteousness

General Salvation will eventually come to most of mankind through a resurrection

Armageddon refers to the desolation that is soon to come on the earth. It is not the end of the planet but will be the end for most of mankind

Salvation is the result of works as well as faith

The cross is not a valid Christian symbol claiming that it is a late invention of corrupt Christianity

Follow Time Prophecies

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/similar-rel...
True they have similar beliefs. As do they with Mainstream Christianity.
Couple of corrections:
No symbols were borrowed. Since masons got their start from Solomon's temple, the symbols were there then and were deemed appropriate now on temples.

No one in Mormonism has said God lives on a planet. We don't know, He could, but we don't know.

Salvation doesn't come through resurrection. Resurrection will happen to everyone who lived this earthly life. No correlation with salvation other than resurrection happens first, then the chance for salvation happens next.

We don't believe the cross was invented, we just choose to focus on the living Christ rather than the dead.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I'm talking about. Why anyone would want to condemn that which is GOOD-no matter the race, creed or color, just is wayyyy beyond ANY sort of rationality, or even decency.

In fact, that type pf stuff just "bullying", trying to Steal OTHERS peace and harmony-at somebody else's expense.

Bullchit.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no beliefs, and I certainly do not share the same delusion you display. If someone claimed that Spiderman was real, would you not want them to receive professional help?
That's your choice.

I have PLENTY of things I believe in-too bad for YOU-grade school level ignorance isn't one of them.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The known lands were far more extensive than 10 miles by 10 miles 4500 years ago. There is firm evidence that there was regular trade across at least 3 continents - so "every living thing on the face of the Earth" was not Noah County.
Why do y'all continually try to rationalize something that clearly did not happen is a historical fact?
Where you there, to fully comprehend the dialect of the times?

Ah didn't think so.

Why do you all continually try and act like you know exactly what was what, thousands of years ago?

Isn't easier, and much more rational to just admit, we do NOT "know everything" and stop trying to pretend like we do?
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly why I refuse to take the bible seriously!
It's a book, and should NOT be used as a weapon against others in shape, form or fashion.

Can't stand that when people try to use it as such.
Blahblahblah

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Douay-Rheims Bible
But...but some us like BING much better!!

How DARE we!?!

Oh well, googleygagag will just have to get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 92,901 - 92,920 of128,003
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the Manchester Forum right now

Search the Manchester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 50 min Le Jimbo 144,934
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr LMS 26,173
Donya Foutch 5 hr curious 7
Tree Trimming 10 hr needtoknow 2
ambulance & police 10 hr haha 3
New Doctor Office 15 hr Shawana Smith 4
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 18 hr NO NO 81,552
•••
•••
•••
•••

Manchester Jobs

•••