First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Manchester, KY

#1 Nov 6, 2012
I keep hearing all this talk that the new board members would want her out. She has a contract so how are they going to get her out? A buyout would be astronomical!
My two cents

Manchester, KY

#2 Nov 6, 2012
I think they could fire her because of the test scores.
Just me

Manchester, KY

#3 Nov 6, 2012
My two cents wrote:
I think they could fire her because of the test scores.
You need to fire the parients
seriously

Manchester, KY

#4 Nov 7, 2012
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>You need to fire the parients
If your a PARENT you need to learn to spell..
Simple Economics

London, KY

#5 Nov 7, 2012
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>If your a PARENT you need to learn to spell..
"if (you are) or if (you're) a parent
Parents

Somerset, KY

#6 Nov 7, 2012
So very easy to pass blame. To bad you can't "fire" the real issue. The parents. 8 out of 10 times, the child is a reflection of their parents. This is another prime example in Clay County. They can't read but they can operate an ATM on the first of the month!
JOE

Madisonville, KY

#7 Nov 7, 2012
Why do the teachers get the rewards when the test scores are good ,but when they are bad it's the parents fault?
Stan

Hazard, KY

#8 Nov 7, 2012
The Board of Education leadership can implement policies that provide resources to augment programs and services that improve student achievement.

Before we write off children because of their low SES background and their parents apathy let's please understand that some of the most successful people in our community overcame poverty and difficult circumstances to make it into the middle class and beyond.

If everyone who was poor or lacked "great" parents were dismissed and given up on then even more children would not achieve an opportunity to be more successful in life.

We must all work together and make sure the BoE does its part and be creative in their efforts to help more students achieve. I am not a polly anna but a realist who has knows that proper leadership at the BoE can make a difference.

If 10% more students graduate and are ready for the world of work with technical skills training or are college ready then we will see a difference in our community. We all have a vested interest to help our young people achieve.

Together, we can do better!!
Dumb and Dumber

Manchester, KY

#9 Nov 7, 2012
Still, one solution to the poor performance of our children maybe....text books for every individual child.

The blame game from our teachers is pathetic. The parents are not in the class rooms, you are. If a child is having problems, request a meeting with the parents, it's your policy to conduct parent/teacher meetings. It's funny that you all toot your horns and lounge in the glory when our students accomplish greatness. It ha nothing to do with ATM machines, poor parenting skills. This report reflects on our teachers, schools and the Board of Education. In a sense, the results of this examination is your progress report and you failed.
Lilly

Somerset, KY

#10 Nov 7, 2012
Dumb and Dumber wrote:
Still, one solution to the poor performance of our children maybe....text books for every individual child.
The blame game from our teachers is pathetic. The parents are not in the class rooms, you are. If a child is having problems, request a meeting with the parents, it's your policy to conduct parent/teacher meetings. It's funny that you all toot your horns and lounge in the glory when our students accomplish greatness. It ha nothing to do with ATM machines, poor parenting skills. This report reflects on our teachers, schools and the Board of Education. In a sense, the results of this examination is your progress report and you failed.
What are the parents responsibilities? Do they carry any in this town? Apparently not. There only job according to this ironic site is apparently just give birth to them. It's apparent they don't take care of them. They depend on the hard working teachers of this county to pay them, while they sat on their lazy butts at home. Of course, when your not accustom to taking care of your own child you depend on others. Just like the majority of the parents call their childs teacher a babysitter. A teacher is not here to hold your hand. There is way to many others in class who want to learn. Who desire to learn. Who have good parents who care about their child's academic future. Who don't sponge off the government and take care of their own. These parents have high expectations of their child and it shows in their performance in class. You take a parent who draws off the government, has never worked for anything other than a handout. Who is accustomed to having everything handed to them from everyone else that works hard for a living! That parent could give a crap about what their child does. Much less show up for a conference. Who cares less if they read or write. And you compare this child and parents to the hard working family and child mentioned above. It's like daylight and dark. One cares the other could careless! If that child needs that much help from the family that don't care that enroll them in special Ed classes. I am sure their parents would be happy because that way they can try and draw another free handout SSI! I've seen it! I've been there done that. We have open houses every year, there is NO reason the parents don't show. But I guess because the teachers don't drive to their house and get them it's their fault as well!! There parents know exactly what is going on with their child. They chose however to not do anything about it. We can only do so much. Until you start understanding the roll parents play, than it's those kids that are going to pay the price. And it's so unfair to them. It's as if their parents wants them to continue their legacy of check drawing, jobless and depending on the system to always take care of them. Regardless if they deserve it or not. And normally, the case is they don't deserve it.
Just sayin

East Bernstadt, KY

#11 Nov 7, 2012
I am a parent and I love my kids, I try everyday with them to help anyway i can....this parent does care..my baby girl is smart. She has had some good teachers tho...
HARDY HAR

Manchester, KY

#12 Nov 8, 2012
Just sayin wrote:
I am a parent and I love my kids, I try everyday with them to help anyway i can....this parent does care..my baby girl is smart. She has had some good teachers tho...
That's the attitude we all need, great word and keep up the good work.
mom of 2

Manchester, KY

#13 Nov 8, 2012
First of all, I believe the parents and teachers should work as a team. I have 2 children, one in third year of college and the youngest,a freshman in high school. Some of the teachers simply do not care just as some parents do not care. It's kinda silly to judge our teachers by this test, the students do not put fourth the effort to score high. The teachers are limited in what they can do. If you have ever been involved with your child's education, you know education is a team effort from the student, teacher, parents and principal.
a mother also

London, KY

#14 Nov 8, 2012
mom of 2 wrote:
First of all, I believe the parents and teachers should work as a team. I have 2 children, one in third year of college and the youngest,a freshman in high school. Some of the teachers simply do not care just as some parents do not care. It's kinda silly to judge our teachers by this test, the students do not put fourth the effort to score high. The teachers are limited in what they can do. If you have ever been involved with your child's education, you know education is a team effort from the student, teacher, parents and principal.
What you have said has made more sense then any of the other posts about education.
Lilly

Somerset, KY

#15 Nov 8, 2012
mom of 2 wrote:
Thank you so much! This is my point exactly!
Do Your Job

London, KY

#16 Nov 8, 2012
Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>What are the parents responsibilities? Do they carry any in this town? Apparently not. There only job according to this ironic site is apparently just give birth to them. It's apparent they don't take care of them. They depend on the hard working teachers of this county to pay them, while they sat on their lazy butts at home. Of course, when your not accustom to taking care of your own child you depend on others. Just like the majority of the parents call their childs teacher a babysitter. A teacher is not here to hold your hand. There is way to many others in class who want to learn. Who desire to learn. Who have good parents who care about their child's academic future. Who don't sponge off the government and take care of their own. These parents have high expectations of their child and it shows in their performance in class. You take a parent who draws off the government, has never worked for anything other than a handout. Who is accustomed to having everything handed to them from everyone else that works hard for a living! That parent could give a crap about what their child does. Much less show up for a conference. Who cares less if they read or write. And you compare this child and parents to the hard working family and child mentioned above. It's like daylight and dark. One cares the other could careless! If that child needs that much help from the family that don't care that enroll them in special Ed classes. I am sure their parents would be happy because that way they can try and draw another free handout SSI! I've seen it! I've been there done that. We have open houses every year, there is NO reason the parents don't show. But I guess because the teachers don't drive to their house and get them it's their fault as well!! There parents know exactly what is going on with their child. They chose however to not do anything about it. We can only do so much. Until you start understanding the roll parents play, than it's those kids that are going to pay the price. And it's so unfair to them. It's as if their parents wants them to continue their legacy of check drawing, jobless and depending on the system to always take care of them. Regardless if they deserve it or not. And normally, the case is they don't deserve it.
If you are a teacher....you not only make me sad...you really make me mad. I dont have any children in school, but I sure pay taxes.

I expect that the tax money spent on welfare and foodstamps helps poor uneducated people... thats it.

BUT... as far as what my taxes is paying for in teachers salary I expect the person to be able to teach ALL children...NOT just children who come from good homes with parents willing and able to help them learn...BUT ALL CHILDREN! If you cant do that JOB you need to QUIT!!!

Let me ask you this ...when you give kids test in school...do you grade the poor kids differnt than the other kids??? Do you say,... wEll little Johnny failed that test...but because he comes from a bad home I will give him a passing grade anyway...NO ...I dont think so....

...so why in the HELL should a teacher not be evaluated the same as ever teacher in the country....just because a lot of the kids they teach come from bad home enviroments....

....the kids are tested and graded the same...good home...bad home...no difference ...soooooo teachers should have thier evaluations the same way.

IF YOU CANT DO THE JOB YOU ARE HIRED TO DO...AND PAID TO DO...DO THE WORLD A FAVOR AND GO HOME AND DRAW YOU A WELFARE CHECK AND FOODSTAMPS...

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS A DRAIN ON THE SYSTEM!!!!!

Your a teacher.... Im sure you are informed whats going on in the country...so you know there is a lot of people feel the same as I about this.
Good Question

Manchester, KY

#17 Nov 8, 2012
JOE wrote:
Why do the teachers get the rewards when the test scores are good ,but when they are bad it's the parents fault?
LOL...Yeah, where's my bonus! I taught my child to read before she ever started first grade. Now I'm paying out the hind end to send her to college. She can't even get a dime of financial aid. Something not right about this picture at all.
fact

London, KY

#18 Nov 8, 2012
Do Your Job wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a teacher....you not only make me sad...you really make me mad. I dont have any children in school, but I sure pay taxes.
I expect that the tax money spent on welfare and foodstamps helps poor uneducated people... thats it.
BUT... as far as what my taxes is paying for in teachers salary I expect the person to be able to teach ALL children...NOT just children who come from good homes with parents willing and able to help them learn...BUT ALL CHILDREN! If you cant do that JOB you need to QUIT!!!
Let me ask you this ...when you give kids test in school...do you grade the poor kids differnt than the other kids??? Do you say,... wEll little Johnny failed that test...but because he comes from a bad home I will give him a passing grade anyway...NO ...I dont think so....
...so why in the HELL should a teacher not be evaluated the same as ever teacher in the country....just because a lot of the kids they teach come from bad home enviroments....
....the kids are tested and graded the same...good home...bad home...no difference ...soooooo teachers should have thier evaluations the same way.
IF YOU CANT DO THE JOB YOU ARE HIRED TO DO...AND PAID TO DO...DO THE WORLD A FAVOR AND GO HOME AND DRAW YOU A WELFARE CHECK AND FOODSTAMPS...
YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS A DRAIN ON THE SYSTEM!!!!!
Your a teacher.... Im sure you are informed whats going on in the country...so you know there is a lot of people feel the same as I about this.
I agree with you.I am sick of the blame going on parent's,mostly parent's that are on government assistance.What about the school's that recieved high score's?I'm sure they have children also that are raised on government assistance.Poor children learn as well as not so poor.They just need teacher's that care enough,and know's how to teach.I'm afraid Clay County has few of these teacher's.The test score's prove it!
Good Question

Manchester, KY

#19 Nov 8, 2012
Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>What are the parents responsibilities? Do they carry any in this town? Apparently not. There only job according to this ironic site is apparently just give birth to them. It's apparent they don't take care of them. They depend on the hard working teachers of this county to pay them, while they sat on their lazy butts at home. Of course, when your not accustom to taking care of your own child you depend on others. Just like the majority of the parents call their childs teacher a babysitter. A teacher is not here to hold your hand. There is way to many others in class who want to learn. Who desire to learn. Who have good parents who care about their child's academic future. Who don't sponge off the government and take care of their own. These parents have high expectations of their child and it shows in their performance in class. You take a parent who draws off the government, has never worked for anything other than a handout. Who is accustomed to having everything handed to them from everyone else that works hard for a living! That parent could give a crap about what their child does. Much less show up for a conference. Who cares less if they read or write. And you compare this child and parents to the hard working family and child mentioned above. It's like daylight and dark. One cares the other could careless! If that child needs that much help from the family that don't care that enroll them in special Ed classes. I am sure their parents would be happy because that way they can try and draw another free handout SSI! I've seen it! I've been there done that. We have open houses every year, there is NO reason the parents don't show. But I guess because the teachers don't drive to their house and get them it's their fault as well!! There parents know exactly what is going on with their child. They chose however to not do anything about it. We can only do so much. Until you start understanding the roll parents play, than it's those kids that are going to pay the price. And it's so unfair to them. It's as if their parents wants them to continue their legacy of check drawing, jobless and depending on the system to always take care of them. Regardless if they deserve it or not. And normally, the case is they don't deserve it.
You're a disgrace!
Lilly

Somerset, KY

#20 Nov 8, 2012
fact wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you.I am sick of the blame going on parent's,mostly parent's that are on government assistance.What about the school's that recieved high score's?I'm sure they have children also that are raised on government assistance.Poor children learn as well as not so poor.They just need teacher's that care enough,and know's how to teach.I'm afraid Clay County has few of these teacher's.The test score's prove it!
Yeah that's why London does so good. Has state of the art schools. New schools and is looking at building more. Even though the county's are 30minutes apart they are worlds away when it comes to education. If your child needs it's hand held before he can pass than what are they going to do in middle school and high school when they have more responsibility? When the teachers are preparing them for college and the world? There is three major factors in education.. The child, the parents and the teacher. By this topic's standard it's the teacher, teacher and teacher. And yes every school has parents who get assistance from the government. There is nothing wrong with that. That's what it's in place for. Now, let's look at Manchester for a moment. Over half, more than half get some sort of government assistance. Have those that have NEVER worked a day in their lives. Who are generation after generation check drawers. Those that have their hands out for everything coming and going. Whom have several kids just to draw checks, food stamps, medical cards and anything else they can get for free. Even at Christmas time they get free items for their 10 kids. These types of families have never been held accountable for anything. If they had. Their checks would have been ceased along time ago and their sorry butts would work for everything they have. That way, they would appreciate it a lot more. They would take proud in what they have including their children. You want to know why I get o upset over parents like this? It's because their child suffers from their ignorance. You can only do so much with the time you are giving in a day. That when the parents need to step up and be parents and help their children. Encourage them to do well. Be a good example for your child. Teachers do their jobs as well as they can with the circumstances they are given. Until you realize that parents play an important role in their child's education and stop playing these blame games, nothing is going to change. I take proud in my child's education and school. My child knows how important it is to have a good education. And my children have parents that care and are involved in their education. I don't need a teacher to hold their hand or mine. Its my responsibility as a parent to know what is going on with my child. At any time if I think there is an issue, all I have to do is email or phone my child's teacher. Believe it or not, that's what parents do for their children. It's foolish to blame others for your mistakes. But it's easier and apparently a way of life for a lot of parents. I don't wait around for my child to fail. I am involved in their education and learning process.
It would be like blaming my child's teacher for him not studying a test and not passing. Although the teacher supplied all the test material to each student to study for the following day but yet the student decides not to study and fails. Is it the teachers fault? No, it's the child's fault for not studying and the parents responsibility to be aware of their child's homework. And what the child is studying in school. But yet, you all still put all the blame on the teacher. I just don't understand it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min DITCH MITCH 4,731
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min No Surprize 153,321
jimmy jr smith 24 min truth 5
Abc automotive 2 hr Think again 1
County Judge Executive 2 hr joe lewis asher 18
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Yiago 131,016
Roger Hoskins 3 hr delbertsbackdorbaby 14
Colter drops out of mayor's race 5 hr James 18
shot Sep 15 Worried 4
•••
•••

Manchester Jobs

•••
•••