Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

All you got to do is build the lake that Squire Baker stopped from being built in Oneida several years back or find another location such as little goose. I was once told by an engineer that if you were to build a dam at Caudil Gal damming up the little goose it'd back water all the way into Laurel County, the lake would be twice as big as Laurel.

The only thing that can save out little county is to put half it under water...

Later....
AntiHillbilly

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

Put it all the way under water. It would make it a better looking place.
the one

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

You know, that was once a very serious proposal, to dam up much of Eastern Kentucky and put as much of it underwater as possible. The reasoning behind it was to insure an abundant water supply for a big chunk of the eastern U.S. for years to come and to rid the rest of Kentucky of a big problem area. It was said that that would be the best way to get any real use out of the area.
Roger

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

A CLAY COUNTY LAKE is much needed and could provide municipal water resources since the Bert T Combs Lake is insufficient for our community. A new lake could provide water resources for increased tourism, enhanced recreation, and potentially a resource to sell water to other communities.

This topic was revived in a community discussion severall months ago with various City and County officials present, but neither party has taken action to move this important economic development initiative forward.

I encourage everyone who speaks with Senator Stivers or candidate Hoskins or if you ever have an opportunity to speak with the (what's his name) Representative Couch to ask them about their ideas and intentions to move the county forward. This could be an historic and landmark acheivement that over time can make a tremendous difference in our community.

We could potentially feed water into a CLAY COUNTY LAKE from the South Fork, the Redbird, or the Goose Creek. Let's move on this project NOW !!
Oh my

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Sounds like a plan
Roger

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Pro fishing tournaments, sanctioned boat race series, leisure recreation boating, swimming, and fishing.

Cabin, boat, and canoe rentals. Fish and auxillary supplies stores.

Municipal water resource, water for commercial and residential development efforts.

Many good things can be developed from the creation of a Clay County Lake. Community pride and satisfaction that we are moving forward is just one result from this project.
AntiHillbilly

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

the one wrote:
You know, that was once a very serious proposal, to dam up much of Eastern Kentucky and put as much of it underwater as possible. The reasoning behind it was to insure an abundant water supply for a big chunk of the eastern U.S. for years to come and to rid the rest of Kentucky of a big problem area. It was said that that would be the best way to get any real use out of the area.
You had me at dam up much of Eastern Kentucky! Where do I sign that petition? The only problem is the water might be toxic, afterall you'll be flooding thousands of meth labs and illegal dumps.
the one

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

I totally support a lake somewhere in the Oneida area myself, as about 90 percent of Clay County's total water flow from creeks and what not flows in that general direction anyways. The area down river from Oneida is very sparsely populated, so household disruptions would be fairly minimal. KY 11 would very likely need to be totally rerouted, so you just may get a new road and kill two birds with one stone.

By the way, what was the reason for Squire Baker rejecting a proposed lake in the Oneida area? He didn't live in that area, and didn't seem to be personally affected by it in any way.

Back around 1955, there was a proposal to build a rather large lake in the Artemus area of Knox County along the Cumberland River. The TVA was to build it, and they bought quite a bit of land for such a lake. Someone told the locals that if a lake were built there that the earth would be tilted off its axis. Wouldn't you know it, the very gullible locals believed it hook, line, and sinker, and they were suddenly against the lake proposal.
coy

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

whats wrong with it i love it
abc

Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

My Dad told me that Baker went to the powers that be and acted like his life would be destroyed if they were to sink and old family cemetery and farm under water. He thought it more important to preserve dead people than do something to preserve the future of the county. Thats the kind of leadership that put this county where it is.

But he was a fine christine man.
abc

Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

There are many places in Clay COunty that a Lake could be constructed, I'm telling you guys everything Roger has said is true with the City being wet it would mean a financial Boom for our area.

Lets do it. Are we building it in Oneida or Little goose? I like which ever one gives us the most water acres.
Roger

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Water is a critically important natural resource that can be utilized to create economic development opportunities for our people.

This is a major project that requires feasibility studies, geologic surveys, property acquisitions, and will take some time to develop and construct, SO, we must start NOW, not later, not next year, not next decade, NOW.

I encourage everyone to ask their elected officials and candidates how they will work toward to development of a new lake.

Other communities with less population have larger lakes than the Bert Combs Lake and their lake capacity serves their community needs and aspirations.

We need and must demand real leadership on this issue. Let's harness the natural beauty of our county, share the the flora and fauna of the mountain landscapes, and promote our area with a greater sense of pride!

Together, WE can do this!
the one

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Bert T. Combs Lake was built way too small to begin with. It only covers, what, 89 acres on a good day? To help fill it, it relies on two very measly streams, and even then that source of filling it is questionable. I'm sure when it was designed that it was probably only meant to supply about 5 - 10k people at most with drinking water, and you may as well have forgotten about any business needs. When it was first built, very few people outside of the city limits had access to a city water supply, and it was probably meant to stay that way with the current lake.
Roger

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

The Bert Combs Lake was built as a tribute to the political legacy of Governor Combs of Clay COunty and it was woefully under-constructed with very little attention paid or thought given to the future needs of the community.

The current pipeline from the Goose Creek that provides water supply to the lake is inadequate and should no longer be tolerated. Our people and our community need and deserve a more stable and suitable water resource that a new lake could provide.

Specifications for the Combs Lake. http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/berttcombslake.pdf
Roger

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Bert Combs Lake 34 acres; 1963, Clay County
Paintsville Lake 1,139 acres; 1983, Johnson County
Carr Creek Lake 710 acres; 1976, Perry County
Buckhorn Lake 1,230; 1967, Perry County
Dewey Lake 1,100 acres, 1949, Floyd County
Wood Creek Lake 672 acres, 1969, Laurel County
Laurel Lake 5,600 acres, 1977, Laurel County
Martins Fork Lake 340 acres, 1979, Harlan County
Cranks Creek Lake 219 acres, 1963, Harlan County
Cannon Creek Lake 243 acres, 1972, Bell County
Lake Linville 356 acres, 1968, Rockcastle County

Does anyone notice a startling statistic about the size of the community lakes that surround us!!
Roger

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Jackson County with half the population of Clay County came together as a community to propose and work toward a large lake project.

We can do this, we must have Citizens, Businesses, City, County, State, and Federal officials working together to make this come to fruition.

On July 10, 1997, the Jackson County Water Association (JCWA) and the Jackson
County Empowerment Zone Community, Inc.(JCEZ) submitted an application to
the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service (RUS) requesting
financial assistance to co-fund a proposed reservoir whose purpose was two-fold:
to provide water supply for the citizens of Jackson County, Kentucky and adjacent
areas and for recreation. The proposal was to construct a 115-foot roller-concrete
compacted dam on the Laurel Fork of the Rockcastle River creating a 640-acre
reservoir and the construction of a raw water transmission main from the proposed
reservoir to the JCWA Treatment Plant located at Tyner Lake in eastern Jackson
County. In response to the application and in accordance with the National
Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (42 USC 4231et seq.) and Agency regulations (7
CFR 1794, Environmental Policies and Procedures), RUS initiated the preparation
of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). Initial co-funding partners for the
proposal were JCEZ; Appalachian Regional Commission; U.S. Department of
Commerce, Economic Development Administration; and U.S. Housing and Urban
Development, Community Block Grant Program.

REPORT: http://www.usda.gov/rus/water/ees/pdf/RODjack...
the one

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Back when an Oneida area lake was first proposed, little thought was ever given to the moving of graves and cemeteries, so they were simply flooded and forgotten. If I'm not mistaken, now by law funding has to be included for the relocation of known graves / cemeteries to a new location, just like with highway projects.

If we stopped all projects simply because someone didn't want to relocate a cemetery (at no cost to the family, I might add), then I would propose that we stop ALL new home construction in Clay County as well, as the odds are very good that you could be disturbing someone's unmarked or unknown grave. You could throw rocks almost anywhere in the county and possibly nail an actual grave. There are scores and scores of graves all over the county that are either unmarked or the markers have totally disappeared and are not a part of any known cemetery, and I'm not even counting persons who possibly died of foul play here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min Mike Duquette 130,301
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Ari son of Anarchy 150,161
Why WKLB 39 min Better 54
Share your recipes and requests (Mar '08) 42 min Onionhead 2,400
Clay County Football 2014 45 min Onionhead 3
Didn't Della have that man before Bev died (Aug '10) 1 hr Bubby Ross 55
I'm looking for a girl 1 hr Onionhead 2

Search the Manchester Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Manchester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000