Downtown Revitalization
Stan

London, KY

#1 Mar 8, 2013
The City Council and other local entities need to work together to revialize and beautify our downtown to make it aestheitcally pleasing and more hospitable for visitors and downtown patrons.

See link below regarding a group in Hazard working on such a project to improve their community.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Offic...
wondering

Manchester, KY

#2 Mar 8, 2013
Funny it seems in the past they was a mayor that tried to make Manchester look better and all you heared was whining and crying about thing she done.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 8, 2013
It seem's that Manchester need's to first get rid of some of the old out of code building's like they did with the police station and clean the streets up and maybe paint some of the old land stones or refurbish the bricks on the out side and add some parking and expand the size of the downtown area, you could get rid of some of the buildings that are on the left hand side of the city when you first enter the downtown area,and add some better light's to make it more welcoming to new business and people coming into the city for the fist time or the one's that haven't been back in a long time. You need to open up the city and make it bigger you would have people wanting to start a business like a nice bar or game room or anything it would create new jobs for the people that want to work and it would make people fill proud of what they have done.
Cook

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Mar 8, 2013
I would open up a restaraunt if I had a good building with parking and they dont ask out the butt for rent.
facts

Manchester, KY

#5 Mar 9, 2013
When you have a 15% work force and a 85% of other on fixed income there is not much you can do. Like it has been stated before until we get some kind of access to clay county, larger road, airport o rail system you could make all clay county Manchester it would not bring in one business. It sad I know that clay is so poor but to many of its citizens are satisfied with what they got. Until the people get some hunger to better themselves, want better things then just a once a month check, foodstamp card or a medical card it want change much. Until we get rid of the greed a few families have that want to control everything that does want to locate here it want change. Talk all you want, put forth all the big ideas you have but if people don't change, don't work together and we don't get some kind of better access, if this old world survives another 100 years clay will still be the same.
regret

London, KY

#6 Mar 9, 2013
If they had only left Carmen alone the city would have looked ten times better. She was on a roll improving the city and had to fight every step of the way to do it. yea maybe she made a mistake but it was a honest mistake and the only thing she was trying to do was get jobs for our town. I really cant see anything that has been done since she left office. I just hope one day she would consider running again but I couldn't really blame her if she didn't.
Well

Flat Lick, KY

#7 Mar 9, 2013
regret wrote:
If they had only left Carmen alone the city would have looked ten times better. She was on a roll improving the city and had to fight every step of the way to do it. yea maybe she made a mistake but it was a honest mistake and the only thing she was trying to do was get jobs for our town. I really cant see anything that has been done since she left office. I just hope one day she would consider running again but I couldn't really blame her if she didn't.
Her husband and bnl kept getting her into trouble. Lucky she didn't go to prison.
Stan

London, KY

#8 Mar 9, 2013
Agree, updating city ordinances and building codes are critically important to moving the community forward. We have deteriorated properties, delapidated buildings, and dangerous structures that deminish the value of existing businesses and properties and only hurt the downtown image.
Babbyface wrote:
It seem's that Manchester need's to first get rid of some of the old out of code building's like they did with the police station and clean the streets up and maybe paint some of the old land stones or refurbish the bricks on the out side and add some parking and expand the size of the downtown area, you could get rid of some of the buildings that are on the left hand side of the city when you first enter the downtown area,and add some better light's to make it more welcoming to new business and people coming into the city for the fist time or the one's that haven't been back in a long time. You need to open up the city and make it bigger you would have people wanting to start a business like a nice bar or game room or anything it would create new jobs for the people that want to work and it would make people fill proud of what they have done.
Worldly

United States

#9 Mar 9, 2013
Money talks and BS walks. Where are you going to get the money? Are you hoping for State or Federal monies? The people of the United States are tired of giving you inbreds money just you can spend it on drugs and welfare. NO MORE.
Live in Manchester

Somerset, KY

#10 Mar 9, 2013
The city needs to do the following:
1. Make the owners tear down the Rice Asher building, I think the owner of the building is on the beautification committee.
2. The city should tear down the Creech building.
3. The city should require the owner of the building located next to burned building across from the county building tear it down.
Stan

London, KY

#11 Mar 10, 2013
Agree, all buildings regardless of the owner should be required to maintain their property to an operable condition and status so that they are not in a deteriorated nor are a danger to the public.

The city should update and/or enforce ordinances to protect the public from dangerous structures and to improve the aesthetic image of downtown as well as protect the property valuation of existing properties that are well kept and in operation.

The City must adopt a "get tough" policy and implement change to improve the downtown. It's pretty much a common sense idea. How many other communities allow such inoperable and dangerous building conditions to exist for years and years. Serve owners legal notice that if not going to maintain the property that condemnation proceedings will take place to protect the public.
Live in Manchester wrote:
The city needs to do the following:
1. Make the owners tear down the Rice Asher building, I think the owner of the building is on the beautification committee.
2. The city should tear down the Creech building.
3. The city should require the owner of the building located next to burned building across from the county building tear it down.
facts

Manchester, KY

#12 Mar 10, 2013
Stan needs to get out of his little make believe world go to some of the areas other towns, go down some of their backstreets and see they got just as many or not more rag tag buildings. This stan is such a windbag no wonder we have had such windy weather, man he needs to go to those areas with the windmills farms they use for power. Let me ask you something old smart and wise stan, you spout out all this so called intelligent wisdom, what's one thing this county needs more then anything for it to get jobs and attract business.
Stan

London, KY

#13 Mar 10, 2013
Well, I would suggest the first thing we need is to improve our attitudes and have fewer negative nellies that can only throw rocks and insults around that only serve to discourage people from sharing positive ideas and from getting involved. So, in essence a postive community spirit, a can-do attitude, could go along way in helping to usher in an era of positive change.

I am no polly-anna, I understand we have significant issues that are roots to the cause of many of our problems but being negative, dwelling upon the past, looking backward rather than putting feet forward is not going to resolve our issues and only postive and sustainable growth and development will help to create opportunities for our community.

Just to be blunt and straight forward; if you have nothing positive to contribute then maybe you should reserve your thoughts so that everyone doesn't realize how "ignorant" you are by your commentary.
facts wrote:
Stan needs to get out of his little make believe world go to some of the areas other towns, go down some of their backstreets and see they got just as many or not more rag tag buildings. This stan is such a windbag no wonder we have had such windy weather, man he needs to go to those areas with the windmills farms they use for power. Let me ask you something old smart and wise stan, you spout out all this so called intelligent wisdom, what's one thing this county needs more then anything for it to get jobs and attract business.
facts

Manchester, KY

#14 Mar 10, 2013
What I was trying to get through to you stan until we get better access to clay county nothing major will happen. If you would get the idea of showing everyone how smart you think you are and acting like a politician you would see. Every other city around us has access to larger highways, a airport and a upgraded rail system. You keep trying to put out like we tear down some old buildings, have stiffer zoning laws, or some other act and it will bring in business, that's typical talk of a politician. We need some common sense people, see if they can twist some arms, either get a expanded highway, have the railroad upgrade their tracks around here or even get a if it takes it a private airport. You can paint all the buildings, sweep all the trash under rugs, make all the stiffer zoning laws you want but fact is we got nothing to draw a business now with our poor access. You need to get out of the politician stance and look at facts and stop trying to impress poor people with politician talk.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#15 Mar 10, 2013
facts wrote:
What I was trying to get through to you stan until we get better access to clay county nothing major will happen. If you would get the idea of showing everyone how smart you think you are and acting like a politician you would see. Every other city around us has access to larger highways, a airport and a upgraded rail system. You keep trying to put out like we tear down some old buildings, have stiffer zoning laws, or some other act and it will bring in business, that's typical talk of a politician. We need some common sense people, see if they can twist some arms, either get a expanded highway, have the railroad upgrade their tracks around here or even get a if it takes it a private airport. You can paint all the buildings, sweep all the trash under rugs, make all the stiffer zoning laws you want but fact is we got nothing to draw a business now with our poor access. You need to get out of the politician stance and look at facts and stop trying to impress poor people with politician talk.
I agree with you 100% you got to do something to draw the people to your town, build a new amtrack station in the last few years the people ridding the train has went up 35 to 40% they are now looking for places to add the high speed rails. Anything that can bring in revenue to the county, you could build a drag racing strip or anything that will draw people to CC, but it takes the people of CC to want a change and i think if the people of CC would have a chance to work they would people keep saying CC is lazy and pill heads and yes there is some because there is no jobs,i know that not all of CC is not lazy some of the hardest workers are from CC. Someone just needs to give the people a chance and let them show it.
Stan

London, KY

#16 Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for trying to enlighten me with your derogatory put down "wind bag" comment, much appreciated but more to the point of infrastructure needs, you are correct.

Railway services will not come thru the area as we do not have a significant manufacturing nor timber industry to demonstrate need for rail services.

With regard to airport we again cannot demonstrate a demand for industrial and commercial that would necessitate the need for such a project.

I would suggest that we have a need for and can demonstrate the need for expanded parkway to four lanes (potential I66 corridor) which would increase traffic, improve commuter times, improve safety with 4 lanes from London to Hazard. Utilize economic development efforts to recruit additional businesses to locate near the pkwy and up the hwy 80 corridor.

I would also suggest that we have a need for and can demonstrate the need for a new Clay County Lake. We currenly import water from Wood Creek and Laurel Lake (external sources). We currently pump extraordinary amounts of water from the Goose Creek which should be left for the river systems to grow fish populations and potential use for canoe trail rides, etc.

Implementing a comprehensive developent plan that incorporates multiple projects that are sought by and demanded by postive, active, engaged citizens can make a difference.

I would ask ALL concerend citizens to become more active, express your positive ideas, and hold elected officials accountable. I would like to see a better Clay County by the next census. One that has stopped the population loss, one that is inclusive and seeking people to visit, work, live here in our community. A Clay that is among the leaders in the region with lower unemployment and increasing education levels and a more robust local economy.
facts wrote:
Stan

London, KY

#17 Mar 10, 2013
You are so very correct!!

We have an outstanding history in Clay County of being a leader in Kentucky but have lost our way over the last 50 years being a victim of nepotism, corruption, and incompetent elected officials who were and are self-serving and not looking out for the folks.

Recent headlines in the paper show a large number of academically talented students from CCMS and CCHS who won reginal championships and a large number of adults who accomplished great things at various colleges.

We have great people, we have talents, ambitions, and abilities but what we lack is authentic leadership that put the people first and not themselves, who puts the future first and not looking to the past cliques. We can do better and we have replaced a number of elected officials but we are in need of an effective leader who can and will promote the community, who can and will work to build a better community, who can and will serve the needs of the folks and not the establishment. Public Service not Self-service!!
Babbyface wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you 100% you got to do something to draw the people to your town, build a new amtrack station in the last few years the people ridding the train has went up 35 to 40% they are now looking for places to add the high speed rails. Anything that can bring in revenue to the county, you could build a drag racing strip or anything that will draw people to CC, but it takes the people of CC to want a change and i think if the people of CC would have a chance to work they would people keep saying CC is lazy and pill heads and yes there is some because there is no jobs,i know that not all of CC is not lazy some of the hardest workers are from CC. Someone just needs to give the people a chance and let them show it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snapchat 2 hr WifeDontKnow 1
Drugs and chicken fights in clay co 5 hr Hatch 2
Trash all over clay co 5 hr Steve 14
KSP Trooper Joe Oliver (Dec '12) 6 hr Driver 13
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 hr Nann 174,821
Biggest ho in CC (May '10) 9 hr Troll hunter 60
District one 12 hr Alice P 2

Manchester Jobs

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages