Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81699 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95253 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes a certain ancestor's name will just keep popping up until I have to acknowledge them, and I usually find a real nugget of information on them when that happens. It keeps me out of trouble on these cold days. lol

I kept thinking on those corn cobs all of you were discussing, but nothing relevant ever came to my mind on the subject. I do recall sitting in the corn crib shelling corn for the chickens when I was a child. I even still remember the smell, a mixture of musky corn, dust, and mice. And the shelling was a little bit rough on young, tender hands.That's about all I have to contribute on that subject, but I do enjoy reading what everyone else has to say on that and other subjects. Sweet dreams, everyone. Stay safe and warm. Goodnight!
Goodnight! I complained the entire time I was putting Christmas back in the attic. Next year maybe I'll get one of those leg lamps and put it in the window.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95254 Jan 4, 2014
Lol! Sure, DR, come on down!! After he read the first clue and figured out there was more than a small headlamp to the gift he took off to find the next clue. We had a great time watching him run around in the dark with that headlamp shining!
Another family member has a birthday on Tuesday so I've got to come up with another unique gift presentation. Heeheehee . I'll get 'em good!!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95255 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up.
When I first came into all those old family photos I started grouping them and putting together stories. For example I'd find several pics taken on the same day by the clothes or location. Please keep in mind these pics are close to 80 years old and I'm lucky to have so many. There's one picture story I need to assemble and that's one of my great aunts cars. It seems every time they visited (from ohio) they had a different car and their pic would be taken beside their car.(1930-1950+) I may even have a pic of them with a nice looking horse and buggy.(Hey, these are old pics)
Anne

Paris, TN

#95256 Jan 4, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodnight! I complained the entire time I was putting Christmas back in the attic. Next year maybe I'll get one of those leg lamps and put it in the window.
Love that leg lamp idea!! It sure would give the neighbors something to talk about!!

Pleasant dreams bird threaders!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95257 Jan 4, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
I almost got Christmas put away completely, then I had to rest since I'm still recovering from my respiratory illness. So, I've been digging up those family bones again. Actually, I now think of it as them digging me up. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes a certain ancestor's name will just keep popping up until I have to acknowledge them, and I usually find a real nugget of information on them when that happens. It keeps me out of trouble on these cold days. lol
I kept thinking on those corn cobs all of you were discussing, but nothing relevant ever came to my mind on the subject. I do recall sitting in the corn crib shelling corn for the chickens when I was a child. I even still remember the smell, a mixture of musky corn, dust, and mice. And the shelling was a little bit rough on young, tender hands.That's about all I have to contribute on that subject, but I do enjoy reading what everyone else has to say on that and other subjects. Sweet dreams, everyone. Stay safe and warm. Goodnight!
a manual corn sheller was a metal thumb splint covered in leather with straps that tied around the wrist to keep the splint on. The end projected like a metal finger nail. I have one of those decorating my wall of antique tools.

I also have a hand crank sheller that attaches to a work bench and you feed the entire cob into the thing almost like a sausage grinder and just turn the crank. It sits on the floor and gathers dust since there is no good way to mount it to the wall.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95258 Jan 4, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting away my Christmas was easy. I put my 18 inch tall pre-decorated tree back in the box, closed the lid, and stuck it back in the closet. If I survive to next year, I can decorate in about 5 minutes by taking it out of the box, reattaching any trinkets that might have come loose, place it on the table in front of the window and plug it in. Walla!!,, Christmas LOL My motto is "KISS"....(keep it simple, stupid)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95259 Jan 4, 2014
I had to wake up and do something different to clear my brain from my dream. I was dreaming that I was trying to balance the late wife's checkbook... a real nightmare... LOL
chuck

United States

#95260 Jan 5, 2014
Did they ever find out what killed the birds?
arkansasman

Antioch, TN

#95262 Jan 5, 2014
Now y'all see how we felt down south...lol. I think our government is spraying something in the air or putting it in our water and the birds how else would you explain it ppl.
arkansasman

Antioch, TN

#95263 Jan 5, 2014
Its our government..putting something in the air or water
Love

Elizabethtown, KY

#95264 Jan 5, 2014
This is cray cray

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#95265 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Miss E, it isn't nearly as much fun putting away Christmas as it is getting it out. But it does cause me to understand why some people begin decorating so early. I think I'll do the same next Christmas.
Oh, yes, the leg lamp! I am a big Christmas Story fan. This Christmas I received a lot of commemorative things from the movie. Next Christmas, I just know someone will buy me the leg lamp! And yes, I would proudly display it in my front window. LOL

My Happy Place

#95266 Jan 5, 2014
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first came into all those old family photos I started grouping them and putting together stories. For example I'd find several pics taken on the same day by the clothes or location. Please keep in mind these pics are close to 80 years old and I'm lucky to have so many. There's one picture story I need to assemble and that's one of my great aunts cars. It seems every time they visited (from ohio) they had a different car and their pic would be taken beside their car.(1930-1950+) I may even have a pic of them with a nice looking horse and buggy.(Hey, these are old pics)
Anne, I think you probably have as much fun as those kids - maybe more. LOL
How wonderful that you have so many old family photos. I enjoy looking at the old pictures too and imagining what was going on at the time. It is always nice to see those family heirlooms fall into the hands of people who appreciates them most.
That's funny about your great aunt's car. I would probably put together a funny story about how she borrowed a different friend's car every time she came to visit, just to impress her country relatives. LOL But, I remember, as a child when relatives would come to visit and it was the mark of success to have a new car. I suppose people wanted to show their relatives back home that they had "made good". One of my relatives I recall would trade cars every year. He wasn't arrogant about it, it was just something he did.

My Happy Place

#95267 Jan 5, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> a manual corn sheller was a metal thumb splint covered in leather with straps that tied around the wrist to keep the splint on. The end projected like a metal finger nail. I have one of those decorating my wall of antique tools.
I also have a hand crank sheller that attaches to a work bench and you feed the entire cob into the thing almost like a sausage grinder and just turn the crank. It sits on the floor and gathers dust since there is no good way to mount it to the wall.
I remember seeing one of the manual corn shellers, but in our family of so many children, WE were the manual corn shellers. LOL I remember trying to shell the corn by rubbing two ears of hard corn together to try and make it easier on the hands. I enjoy looking at the antique tools in the mountain museums and trying to figure out what some of them were used for. I always find it fascinating that our pioneer ancestors were such inventors. My parents were the same way, very ingenious in figuring out how to make do with what they had. How good that you appreciate those things enough to display them. There's only one of the rustic tools I wish I had, that's my dad's old grinding stone that was attached to a post in the barn. It had a wooden handle for turning to sharpen the tools. If I had it I would use it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95268 Jan 5, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Anne, I think you probably have as much fun as those kids - maybe more. LOL
How wonderful that you have so many old family photos. I enjoy looking at the old pictures too and imagining what was going on at the time. It is always nice to see those family heirlooms fall into the hands of people who appreciates them most.
That's funny about your great aunt's car. I would probably put together a funny story about how she borrowed a different friend's car every time she came to visit, just to impress her country relatives. LOL But, I remember, as a child when relatives would come to visit and it was the mark of success to have a new car. I suppose people wanted to show their relatives back home that they had "made good". One of my relatives I recall would trade cars every year. He wasn't arrogant about it, it was just something he did.
This year I went through the old pictures and found as many Christmas photos as possible. I put them all in one album. When the family was in over the holidays, everyone enjoyed looking at pictures from Christmas past. It was also a nice way to remember those from the pictures, that were no longer with us.
Jingles

United States

#95270 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
This year I went through the old pictures and found as many Christmas photos as possible. I put them all in one album. When the family was in over the holidays, everyone enjoyed looking at pictures from Christmas past. It was also a nice way to remember those from the pictures, that were no longer with us.
Love this idea!

My Happy Place

#95271 Jan 5, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a wonderful idea, Miss E. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I can do the same for next season. I am trying to get a jump on next Christmas already. I ordered some Christmas gifts this morning online. I hope to shop all year and get finished early. But, now the trick will be to remember that I have them when Christmas rolls around again. LOL!- Merry Christmas all year long!
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95272 Jan 5, 2014
Dual Reality wrote:
<quoted text>That is a wonderful idea, Miss E. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I can do the same for next season. I am trying to get a jump on next Christmas already. I ordered some Christmas gifts this morning online. I hope to shop all year and get finished early. But, now the trick will be to remember that I have them when Christmas rolls around again. LOL!- Merry Christmas all year long!
Smart!! Working on that Christmas list already!! My Christmas wish list includes a 16 roll pack of toilet paper. Easy to buy ahead, but bulky to store for a whole year! Lol Now please, don't talk to AW or MM or they'll have you sending me a bushel of red and white corn cobs!! Lol!!
We just returned from that big box store where Christmas clearance is 75% off . I bought the kit package ($2.24) of 4 small gingerbread houses. Kids get to assemble 2 each, then we place them on a sheet cake around a blue icing "lake" with red Swedish fish, some snowman marshmallows, etc. looks pretty cool. Think I'll add some tea candles and call it a birthday cake. Lol
positive thinker

Novi, MI

#95273 Jan 5, 2014
Jesse Venterua wrote:
Does anyone watch him ,Conspiracy Theories, he showed a weapon the Gov. has that uses sound waves to kill anything, They can bring down planes, buildings, anything, make earthquakes, I believe that's what it is , they are testing it on birds, fish etc.. before people. There's NO other explanation for it,I think he said another country, maybe Russia, I forget for sure,has it to.
Come on guys, all of u are so doom and gloom!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95274 Jan 5, 2014
positive thinker wrote:
<quoted text>Come on guys, all of u are so doom and gloom!
Sorry, positive thinker, Jesse hasn't posted on here for a very long time.
No school around here tomorrow and the kids are anticipating getting a lot of use from their sleds! WhooHoo! No school!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Dezarn aka axl ROSE FOUND DEAD ON BRIDGE... 1 hr Question 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Blacklagoon 163,813
Girley Pregnant 2 hr Miss crazy 9
Kids caught partying up at Laurel Lake 12 hr Brian v 12
Gilberta miller 13 hr Citizen 1
Linda Gibson Hensley 14 hr Barbie girl 1
Tiffany Deston Gibson 14 hr cm harris 3

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages