Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
76,781 - 76,800 of 81,567 Comments Last updated 56 min ago
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> 3 hours of eating and conversation is enough even if it is with someone special. Besides, this is what happens when you get about 10 more years on you and you have to get on to bed so you can get back up at 4 am with nothing to do except start freezing some corn. LOL
That 4am thing. No thank you. But I know DOG needs some relief so there you are: 4am.
As a nod in your favor I will say 3 hours of food and conversation is enough. That's probably my limit for company manners. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Been deleting temporary internet files, all add-on data and running a system defrag. Now this thing works pretty good for a 10 year old machine.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for the cotton ball trick Nope. I already made the moat bowl though, and that seems like a more manly contraption to me. The cotton trick would probably be fine as long as it works, but the moat works well, I have it on enough string to dump out the water and replace it easy. I think I've wiped out most of the ants with ant bait too I haven't seen to many in the moat.
I have seven or eight differed hummingbirds coming in now. Four new little green ones came in this morning. I guess they go invite others when they find a good easy source of sugar water.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Oh, how sweet Imposter! Don't you just adore Hummingbirds? Did you know that scientifically, they aren't "supposed" to be able to fly? Just goes to show ya, God knows what He's doing, LOL!

I have to refill my feeders this evening, and I might as well go ahead put new cotton around the strings while I'm at it.

I'll probably be back on later tonight. Wanted to go fishing today, but this soggy weather and all has my bad knee aching something fierce...
Bleh.
Marilyn

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It is sad when someone alienates themselves from a group they wish to join in with. Instead of a friendly" hello, can I visit". They just dump doodoo on the front door step. Certainly not the way to make friends. Its Sad they lack people skills.
Hello! May I join your conversation? I have been reading back thru and I would like to join in, then I came across this comment so I thought I would introduce myself. My grandson just gave me his old computer and I am learning. He tells me I need to get with the times. He told me about this site and that you folks are my age. I see alot of non sense in other places but seems like I have much in common with the folks here. I would like to register and join in if I am welcomed. I don't have a name thing yet but he's to help me do that later. My name is Marilyn and I am 72 as of yesterday. That's when he brought this to me. I love my birds and have also used the cotton on my feeders. Lord's blessings to you all.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello! May I join your conversation? I have been reading back thru and I would like to join in, then I came across this comment so I thought I would introduce myself. My grandson just gave me his old computer and I am learning. He tells me I need to get with the times. He told me about this site and that you folks are my age. I see alot of non sense in other places but seems like I have much in common with the folks here. I would like to register and join in if I am welcomed. I don't have a name thing yet but he's to help me do that later. My name is Marilyn and I am 72 as of yesterday. That's when he brought this to me. I love my birds and have also used the cotton on my feeders. Lord's blessings to you all.
Very nice to meet you! Please do join us! If you'd like to, you can register on here and make yourself a "moniker". It's not necessary though, you can keep posting as Marilyn if you'd like.

But on Topix, it's not a good idea to give out too much personal information that someone may figure you out in real life with... People can be brutal ya know. Lies may get posted, even when they don't know you in real life. Just be careful..

This is a good thread, the best on Topix in my opinion, and of course everyone will be glad to have you!! Nice to have another interesting person on the bird thread!!

Happy belated birthday, by the way!!
:)
Quacker

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I think she went back to work.
She sure did!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Imposter wrote:
Thanks for the cotton ball trick Nope. I already made the moat bowl though, and that seems like a more manly contraption to me. The cotton trick would probably be fine as long as it works, but the moat works well, I have it on enough string to dump out the water and replace it easy. I think I've wiped out most of the ants with ant bait too I haven't seen to many in the moat.
I have seven or eight differed hummingbirds coming in now. Four new little green ones came in this morning. I guess they go invite others when they find a good easy source of sugar water.
I've pondered on this moat and ant bait thing that you have made for a day or two now, Imposter. The thing that worries me about the ant bait is that Hummies also eat small insects. They're particularly fond of gnats, but ants I'm not sure of. But I'd surely not want to take the chance of killing even ONE single little Hummie because it ate an ant that was poisoned.

I've even put leftover melons or old fruit outside by the feeders for them. A nail put into the tree is perfect to push a piece of fruit on so they can get to it and quickly the gnats will gather on what you put out. You will see the Hummies hover over it to snag the gnats for a tasty snack.
(If you've never tried it, you should. It's really fun to watch).

They're like little fairy sprites. I get such a kick out of how they'll flit by, slam on the brakes, and then hover right in front of your face to hang in mid air for a minute to stare at you. Then they chipper and fuss for a split second and zip off into Hummie-land again. It gets to the point that I can pretty much tell one from the other after a while.

I guess we all have our old timer remedies and hand-me-down fix it ideas passed down from our older and wiser kin folk... But I'd just rather be safer than sorry.

How are you feeling now, by the way? Got your strength totally back yet? I've been sending "happy happy happy" thoughts and healing prayers your way!! It means a lot to me that we can have fun talking now... Truly it does! I adore every single one of you in this forum and you all have made some of my dark days, those when I'm feeling blue or ill, a lot brighter whether you know it or not.

(In case you think I'm whacked about using the "happy happy happy" thang, I'm a HUGE Duck Dynasty fanatic, hehe! And tonight is another marathon on the A&E channel, ROFLMBO!! I'll be glued to the tube for the duration. Can't wait for the new season to start in a few weeks)!

As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna change my eyeball moniker icon to the Duck Commanders logo.... Bwaaaahahahahaha!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome, finally someone on here that is just a wee bit more ancient than me. I keep larger birds... chickens.
what now

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
I had Sunday (church) shoes that i rubbed with vaseline to keep them shiny and school shoes that i kept polished. Summers we wore white canvas tennis shoes. No going barefoot for us, ever! Mom was adamant about that! She was also adamant about not drinking from someone else's glass and washing our hands before a meal. We changed into play clothes immediately after school and had special clothes to wear to the
creek.
Hmm. Maybe you are my sister. Wait, my mom had us runnin around barefoot alltime though. Otherwise, the same. Ironed all laundry, Saturdays were made for cleaning n shining... Moms are awesome!:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Why Happy Belated Birthday! Mine was the 26th. Half your age, minus two. We enjoy the birds here in eastern Ky as well.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

@ Marilyn, oops add 10 years to that.I was thinking 82 for whatever reason. Psst 40 should be the exact years.
@ Nope, Love Duck Dynasty as well;) I couldn't stop laughing during the episode where Si puts on the tiara, polish and lipstick for the granddaughters. It sure does tickle me. Great family entertainment.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Marilyn, and welcome! Happy Birthday also!!
About being registered on topix-- you don't have to register to post. Actually I am registered under a totally different name but have been posting under a gray (unregistered) name for quite some time. There are benefits to being registered such as being able to private message (pm) other registered posters.
I have a few bird feeders in the backyard. Cardinals, goldfinches, doves etc. Then I have a few chickens: 5 mature hens and 3 about five months old. A couple outside cats and an outside dog. That's enough for us! Lol
Imposter

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I've pondered on this moat and ant bait thing that you have made for a day or two now, Imposter. The thing that worries me about the ant bait is that Hummies also eat small insects. They're particularly fond of gnats, but ants I'm not sure of. But I'd surely not want to take the chance of killing even ONE single little Hummie because it ate an ant that was poisoned.
I've even put leftover melons or old fruit outside by the feeders for them. A nail put into the tree is perfect to push a piece of fruit on so they can get to it and quickly the gnats will gather on what you put out. You will see the Hummies hover over it to snag the gnats for a tasty snack.
(If you've never tried it, you should. It's really fun to watch).
They're like little fairy sprites. I get such a kick out of how they'll flit by, slam on the brakes, and then hover right in front of your face to hang in mid air for a minute to stare at you. Then they chipper and fuss for a split second and zip off into Hummie-land again. It gets to the point that I can pretty much tell one from the other after a while.
I guess we all have our old timer remedies and hand-me-down fix it ideas passed down from our older and wiser kin folk... But I'd just rather be safer than sorry.
How are you feeling now, by the way? Got your strength totally back yet? I've been sending "happy happy happy" thoughts and healing prayers your way!! It means a lot to me that we can have fun talking now... Truly it does! I adore every single one of you in this forum and you all have made some of my dark days, those when I'm feeling blue or ill, a lot brighter whether you know it or not.
(In case you think I'm whacked about using the "happy happy happy" thang, I'm a HUGE Duck Dynasty fanatic, hehe! And tonight is another marathon on the A&E channel, ROFLMBO!! I'll be glued to the tube for the duration. Can't wait for the new season to start in a few weeks)!
As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna change my eyeball moniker icon to the Duck Commanders logo.... Bwaaaahahahahaha!!
I always liked those little hummers, I would hate to poison one like that! I never thought of that. But they seem to be alright. The rain has washed away the ant bait by now for sure, so I'll wait a while and see if the ants come back in force.

I actually feel better than I have in years. I had deteriorated quite a bit because of lack of any regular healthcare, I had to be about dead before I would go to the Dr. I almost was- according to him, but I think the young man knows his stuff, he has me on the right track.
I might be stubborn but I've not been called stupid too many times. I'm going to listen to what he says and try to reach an objective that we both like...good health without so many meds and possibly no meds in the future. I like that idea. But yeah thanks for asking I'm feeling and doing pretty good.

I just wonder what vampire they are trying to feed with all my blood. They take what seems like half my blood supply every time I go in. Maybe Big Steve lives over there in the hospital basement.
Imposter

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, talk about whatever you want to talk about. That's what I do, sometimes I talk about entirety different subject than everyone else...they dont seem to care if I forget what I am talking about either LOL.
Seriously--This is a pretty good bunch of people on here. Every now and then we get a bad link, that's those words that light up blue, dont click on them unless you trust the poster....Ancient Wolf seems to think its a good idea not to click on any of them and he was an IT man. Welcome Marilyn!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

what now wrote:
<quoted text> Hmm. Maybe you are my sister. Wait, my mom had us runnin around barefoot alltime though. Otherwise, the same. Ironed all laundry, Saturdays were made for cleaning n shining... Moms are awesome!:)
It was my job to iron the pillowcases and dads handkerchiefs, eventually I graduated to ironing shirts and dresses. Dads pants were dried on pants stretchers and didnt require ironing. Saturday mornings we cleaned house then went to town for groceries and other necessary items. Groceries! Mom bought ONE carton of soft drinks each week for our family of 5. Oh, and a box of vanilla wafers. We kids didn't care for vanilla wafers and wouldn't hardly eat them. I asked mom why she bought them and she replied , " because they last all week" Yeah, she had that right!
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my job to iron the pillowcases and dads handkerchiefs, eventually I graduated to ironing shirts and dresses. Dads pants were dried on pants stretchers and didnt require ironing. Saturday mornings we cleaned house then went to town for groceries and other necessary items. Groceries! Mom bought ONE carton of soft drinks each week for our family of 5. Oh, and a box of vanilla wafers. We kids didn't care for vanilla wafers and wouldn't hardly eat them. I asked mom why she bought them and she replied , " because they last all week" Yeah, she had that right!
Wouldn't hardly??? Grammar police will get me for sure.
what now

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Greetings Marilyn! I just found out Anne's and my mom could have been sisters. They did the same kind of things, way back when. We went barefoot and got no cokes, but they had to wear shoes and got cokes. Lol!
really, I am getting goofy, and must be tired. Have a good time! Thanks Anne, you're awesome! Goodnight all!
what now

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Sympathy, and condolences to you, 'Roaming.

Trenton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Very strange. Not the only place it is happening if you research it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

74 Users are viewing the Manchester Forum right now

Search the Manchester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Curve Ball 147,381
Sibert's Market 1 hr ray 4
Fire at Burning Springs 1 hr James 5
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr El Hijo de curiosidad 129,058
The NEW Dukes of Hazzard show 3 hr duke 7
"Stay In Clay" Org. Dumbest ideal ever! 3 hr i think 58
jimmy smith for jailer 4 hr What 6
Liz Stivers 11 hr Uh oh 2
Scott Sams Thu knows 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Manchester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000