Richmond Circuit Court Judges Appoint State's First Openly Gay Judge

Jun 14, 2012 Full story: WRVA-AM Richmond 23

Richmond, VA _ One month after legislators blocked his appointment, Richmond Circuit Court judges have appointed Richmond's openly gay cief deputy commonwealth's attorney Tracy Thorne-Begland to a Richmond General District Court judgeship.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#1 Jun 14, 2012
The Circuit judges simply did what the President does when Congress fails to accept his appointees. Once Congress is in recess, the president appoints who he wants.

This is a temporary appointment. It can be overturned in January.

Midlothian, VA

#2 Jun 15, 2012
Background and ethics are a big part of being appointed as a judge.

"As examples, he said Thorne-Begland had been forced to "misstate his background" in order to join the Navy in the late 1980s, defied regulation by going on television and been openly critical of the now-defunct "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy."

Thorne-Begland has proven he is seriously lacking in the ethics department in the past. Why should he be trusted now?
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#3 Jun 16, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
The Circuit judges simply did what the President does when Congress fails to accept his appointees. Once Congress is in recess, the president appoints who he wants.
This is a temporary appointment. It can be overturned in January.
The good ole white boys won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. They are afraid of the "Illuminati" gay mafia.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#4 Jun 16, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
"As examples, he said Thorne-Begland had been forced to "misstate his background" in order to join the Navy in the late 1980s, defied regulation by going on television and been openly critical of the now-defunct "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy."
Thorne-Begland has proven he is seriously lacking in the ethics department in the past. Why should he be trusted now?
Strange how you are in oppositon. You support the gay agenda.
notademorat

Monroe, VA

#5 Jun 16, 2012
new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
The good ole white boys won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. They are afraid of the "Illuminati" gay mafia.
your muzlim prez already got those votes, Obammy would sell his soul for a vote
Get Over It

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Jun 16, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
Didn't a group of people take a stand against a government that they felt was passing laws that they felt was not fair? I think this same group of people took to arms and fought that government. I do believe they called that group of men "patriots". Remember the whole Revolutionary War thing? Also, didn't black troops stand up and change the militaries standards? How about woman, wasn't there a change in the system? This was a clear case of discrimination against a person because of their sexuality. Discrimination is any fashion should not be tolerated.

Richmond, VA

#7 Jun 17, 2012
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't a group of people take a stand against a government that they felt was passing laws that they felt was not fair? I think this same group of people took to arms and fought that government. I do believe they called that group of men "patriots". Remember the whole Revolutionary War thing? Also, didn't black troops stand up and change the militaries standards? How about woman, wasn't there a change in the system? This was a clear case of discrimination against a person because of their sexuality. Discrimination is any fashion should not be tolerated.
Sorry you missed the point about Thorne-Begland being a ceiminal that committed a felony under the UCMJ.

Last time I heard, judges were NOT supposed to be criminals!

What is next, youi will allow murderers and child abusers to be judges because thety are discriminated against by being locked up?
Get Over It

United States

#8 Jun 17, 2012
For the love of god, use spell check! With intellect like yours, no wonder you write this garbage. Didn't our founding fathers commit treason? An archaic regulation under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice is far from being a law. Have a good evening you old douche-bag!

Midlothian, VA

#9 Jun 17, 2012
Get Over It wrote:
For the love of god, use spell check! With intellect like yours, no wonder you write this garbage. Didn't our founding fathers commit treason? An archaic regulation under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice is far from being a law. Have a good evening you old douche-bag!
Actually, the UCMJ IS the law for those in the military. If you were ever man enough to serve your country you would know that moron.

Who are you to determine what laws to comply with any more than Thorne-Begland?

Is it that you and Thorne-Begland are cowards or do you just commit felonies like him?

Are you suggesting you and Thorne-Begland are traitors?

This is about honesty, ethics and breaking the law. Something that you and Thorne-Begland obviously know nothing about MORON!
Who Cares

United States

#10 Jun 17, 2012
Are you saying he committed a felony? If he committed a felony, the military certainly would have convicted him of that to discharge him. Last I checked, you couldn't be a member of the bar with a felony. To think, you actually called someone a moron. You might want to do a little self evaluation there hero. The only reason he was not originally appointed is because a bunch of homophobic idiots didn't like the fact that he is gay. That is the true definition of being a moron. I think it shows honesty and integrity to stand up and be true about yourself. As far the questioning certain laws, well that is a good thing. It may serve you well to do a little research on various laws that have been repealed. Unless of course you agree with the witch trials and various laws that infringed on peoples civil liberties. Question, has your wife ever performed oral sex on you, or you on her? If the answer is yes, then you are a felon too. If the answer is no, then you lead a very boring life and I feel sorry for your wife.

Richmond, VA

#11 Jun 17, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
Are you saying he committed a felony? If he committed a felony, the military certainly would have convicted him of that to discharge him. Last I checked, you couldn't be a member of the bar with a felony. To think, you actually called someone a moron. You might want to do a little self evaluation there hero. The only reason he was not originally appointed is because a bunch of homophobic idiots didn't like the fact that he is gay. That is the true definition of being a moron. I think it shows honesty and integrity to stand up and be true about yourself. As far the questioning certain laws, well that is a good thing. It may serve you well to do a little research on various laws that have been repealed. Unless of course you agree with the witch trials and various laws that infringed on peoples civil liberties. Question, has your wife ever performed oral sex on you, or you on her? If the answer is yes, then you are a felon too. If the answer is no, then you lead a very boring life and I feel sorry for your wife.
If you ever served in the military, you would know that the UCMJ is the law for the military.

Perjury is a felony in Virginia. He was washed out for being gay which was against the UCMJ when he took his oath. He got off lucky.

Thorne-Begland violated his oath and violated the UCMJ by openly commenting on the gay policy while in uniform without authorization.

That makes him a liar and a criminal felon. Not what Virginia needs as a judge.

You are a moron.
Who Cares

United States

#12 Jun 17, 2012
If he is a felon as you say, then how is he a practicing lawyer? How would he be an Assistant Commonwealth Attorney? I did honorably serve in the military and I am familiar with the UCMJ. I never disputed that it is the "law" for the military. You might want to reread my post. When did he commit perjury? If he was a felon, then why would the governor openly congratulate him on his appointment? I would think if he was a felon as you say he is, every political leader would drop him like a hot potato. I believe he has clearly demonstrated his integrity and honesty by taking a stand and being honest in the face of adversity. I can't wait to read your reply. All I ask is that you read my two post slowly causes it would appear that you may have trouble comprehending them. Then intelligently reply to the questions. Please provide facts to support your argument. You might want to consult Same Ol Same Ol. He or she has a good grasp of how to intelligently debate a topic.

Richmond, VA

#13 Jun 17, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
If he is a felon as you say, then how is he a practicing lawyer? How would he be an Assistant Commonwealth Attorney? I did honorably serve in the military and I am familiar with the UCMJ. I never disputed that it is the "law" for the military. You might want to reread my post. When did he commit perjury? If he was a felon, then why would the governor openly congratulate him on his appointment? I would think if he was a felon as you say he is, every political leader would drop him like a hot potato. I believe he has clearly demonstrated his integrity and honesty by taking a stand and being honest in the face of adversity. I can't wait to read your reply. All I ask is that you read my two post slowly causes it would appear that you may have trouble comprehending them. Then intelligently reply to the questions. Please provide facts to support your argument. You might want to consult Same Ol Same Ol. He or she has a good grasp of how to intelligently debate a topic.
Okay, one more time for you since you seem to be a bit slow.

He was NOT prosecuted for the perjury or for violating his oath by speaking in public against the military while in uniform. He also refused to comment on the incident when questioned by the legislature.

He was washed out because he was openly gay after he was a sworn naval officer.(Which he knew was not allowed when he applied and accepted his commission.)

Did you get it that time? I didnít say he was a CONVICTED felon.

He "came out" after he became an officer violating the "don't ask, don't tell" policy publicly.

As I said a number of posts ago, he got off lucky. That doesnít mean he didnít break the law, just that the military chose not to prosecute.

Sadly, you seem to have not passed your 3rd grade reading comprehension test. Try harder next time.

Richmond, VA

#14 Jun 17, 2012
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>

That is perjury, plain and simple. Perjury is a felony. As I said before, he just wasn't prosecuted for the crime.

Who Cares

United States

#15 Jun 18, 2012
If he committed a felony, then the military certainly would have prosecuted it especially if he went on television and openly defied them. If that regulation was fair and just, then why was it changed? Under your twisted thinking, we have had a lot of felon presidents, congressmen, judges, and senators. Isn't adultery a crime under the UCMJ? How many of the above have committed that act? They committed a felony, and according to you, they shouldn't have been placed in office. This would include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and Bill Clinton just to name a few. Like I stated in a previous post, have you ever received or performed oral sex? If the answer is yes, then you are a felon too. If the answer is no, then I feel bad for the Mrs. or Mr. Va_tazdad. I know you are a little slow on the uptake there sunshine, so that last statement was intended to be sarcastic.

Midlothian, VA

#16 Jun 18, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
If he committed a felony, then the military certainly would have prosecuted it especially if he went on television and openly defied them. If that regulation was fair and just, then why was it changed? Under your twisted thinking, we have had a lot of felon presidents, congressmen, judges, and senators. Isn't adultery a crime under the UCMJ? How many of the above have committed that act? They committed a felony, and according to you, they shouldn't have been placed in office. This would include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and Bill Clinton just to name a few. Like I stated in a previous post, have you ever received or performed oral sex? If the answer is yes, then you are a felon too. If the answer is no, then I feel bad for the Mrs. or Mr. Va_tazdad. I know you are a little slow on the uptake there sunshine, so that last statement was intended to be sarcastic.
You must be a WV transplant.

Even Yankees are not as dumb as you are portraying yourself.

What part of "the military did not charge him, he was washed out" doesn't your feeble brain understand?

He was stripped of his rank and commission as a naval officer.

That was the deal he took instead of a general court marshal for his actions against the military.

I am not talking about anyone but Thorne-Begland, nobody else.

What I do is none of yours or anyone's business. I am not trying to be a circuit court judge.
Who Cares

Highland, MD

#17 Jun 18, 2012
"What I do is none of yours or anyones business". That was spoken like a true hypocrite. Thank you for finally admitting that he is not a felon. We was not convicted, so how can he be a felon? The very definition of a felon is someone that was convicted of a crime that is felonious in nature. You can't have it both ways you ignorant wretch! So, by your statement of "they did not charge him", would mean that he is not a felon. Can't have a conviction without first being charged. Also, what type of discharge did he get? If his actions were so grievous as you say that it would rise to the level of a felony, then certainly they would've pushed for a dishonorable discharge. Like you said, they did it in lieu of charging for the felony right? So what type of discharge did he get? So come on with more of your intolerant hypocritical post. I'm sure you are going to attempt some sort of schoolyard banter. Also, I do apologize for the oral sex comment. It would appear from your numerous post that you are an elderly man. There is medication that will help with your ED. In the meantime, if you perform a little motorboat action, it might make Mrs. va_tazdad happy. Now that is schoolyard banter!
Who Cares

Highland, MD

#18 Jun 18, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
That is perjury, plain and simple. Perjury is a felony. As I said before, he just wasn't prosecuted for the crime.
You might want to read Article 131 in the Uniformed Code of Military Justice. This is the section concerning perjury. When was the judicial hearing that he allegedly lied during? It clearly state the criteria for perjury to exist and I don't see where he lied during a judicial hearing. If you are insinuating that he committed perjury because of his oath as an officer, well that was not a judicial hearing so it is not classified as perjury according to article 131. Don't take excerpts out of the regulation and twist them to meet your needs. Read the regulation in its entirety. No wonder they didn't charge for perjury, because it didn't exist. Learn to read a regulation or just admit that you don't want him to be a judge cause he is gay. I would have more respect for you if you were honest.
Who Cares

Highland, MD

#19 Jun 18, 2012
ďI,(state your name), having been appointed a (rank) in the United States (branch of service), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foriegn and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.Ē

I posted the oath that you keep referencing. I am having a hard time with, as you said my third grade education, finding where he committed a crime. It does not reference anything about the regulations of the UCMJ. It does not reference anything about being or not being a homosexual. So, once again, how did he commit perjury? Can you please point it out in the above oath?
Who Cares

Highland, MD

#20 Jun 18, 2012
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." Thomas Jefferson

Seems like a good reason to speak out against an unjust and, like you said, a "defunct" regulation. Now, how is that conduct unbecoming an officer?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manassas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
do you want a rich sugar daddy? call 0554710652 Tue nelson 1
Looking for information on my Fathers first mar... (Mar '14) Dec 4 Lost 3
morning childcare 3/days a week Dec 4 4kaye1 2
Bluegrass and Old-Time Jamboree slated Nov. 15 ... Nov 25 Baba1 2
Obamacare 2015 Sign-Up Under Way With Few Glitc... Nov 17 rogercrouch777 1
Cheap Kitchens Online Nov '14 jackosn 2
Manassas City detective in teen 'sexting' case ... Nov '14 jackosn 1
Manassas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web