mhs student

Peach Creek, WV

#1 Oct 11, 2010
Just wandering if the girls are really dressing up for the Winter Formal? Is it like a Prom? Do the guys wear tux's? Not sure what to wear. Can someone help me!
Eunice2010

Logan, WV

#2 Oct 11, 2010
Why not just a casual winter dance. Save the tuxes, and formal dresses for the prom. 2 formal dances a year is ridiculous if you ask me.
Helpful

Logan, WV

#3 Oct 11, 2010
Sometimes winter formal can be like prom.. They do try to dress up, but they dont really have to.. Its mostly for the pictures.. The popular guys usually rent tuxes, but the other ones usually just wear a button up shirt with jeans or something simple. The girls usually get a nice dress, nothing expensive. Deb shop at the charleston towncenter has Really nice dresses for under 50 and 20 dollars and there georgous.
Eunice2010

Logan, WV

#4 Oct 12, 2010
So, it is really about how much money you can give to the photographer, the tuxedo rental company, and the dress shops. Why not save the pictures, the tuxedos, and dresses for the prom? Everyone should go in jeans, or something nice and casual, enjoy being with your friends, and have a blast, without spending a fortune.
wondering

Charleston, WV

#5 Oct 12, 2010
when is formal?
Because

Logan, WV

#6 Oct 12, 2010
Because its something to get excited for early because Prom is much further away then the Winter Formal is. Besides Who cares, Theres not enough Dances. It doesnt matter how much you spend, all that matters is how many memories to make before you graduate.
Eunice2010

Logan, WV

#7 Oct 12, 2010
I suppose if you are not paying for it, it is great. I'm not trying to put a damper on the excitement, I just think it is a bit much for high school kids. There will be plenty of memories to make after graduation. Speaking from a parents point of view, it is way, too much, especially, if you have to send more than one to a formal dance 2 times a year. I don't think you have to spend loads of money to make a memory. That is just my opinion.
A mom

Prestonsburg, KY

#8 Oct 13, 2010
Well as a mom I say go all out. There are no times after graduation to wear formal gowns until a wedding. I spent way too much on my daughter for every dance and I would do It again if I had the chance. I think that's why we work so hard, so we can give our kids the best of everything. It's the time when they can feel special and pretty and years from now they will see those pictures and remember how much fun they had. I think we should give them all the good memories we can because after high school, real life sets in. And most of the time it's not much fun. Besides you can't wear sequins to Walmart. Let the kids enjoy it now. There are plenty of second hand dresses out there for cheap. There's no excuse for not making them feel special now and as a mom I think it's my job.
Eunice2010

Logan, WV

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Yeah, it is all a fairy tale. Real life does set in, and when they have spent the previous 18 years of their lives feeling special, I guess it is quite a shocker when they realize they are not. I don't see it as my job at all to put out money on all those dances from Middle school on. I think the junior-senior prom is well, enough. Besides if there are so many dances, before then, it makes the prom, which is MEANT to be special, just another dance. If you ask me, other than the traditional prom, it is all a money scam.
Dreamer

United States

#10 Oct 13, 2010
A mom wrote:
Well as a mom I say go all out. There are no times after graduation to wear formal gowns until a wedding. I spent way too much on my daughter for every dance and I would do It again if I had the chance. I think that's why we work so hard, so we can give our kids the best of everything. It's the time when they can feel special and pretty and years from now they will see those pictures and remember how much fun they had. I think we should give them all the good memories we can because after high school, real life sets in. And most of the time it's not much fun. Besides you can't wear sequins to Walmart. Let the kids enjoy it now. There are plenty of second hand dresses out there for cheap. There's no excuse for not making them feel special now and as a mom I think it's my job.
I think this is so stupid. Sure the prom is great to spend money on a beautiful dress. All these other dances such as a winter formal going out spending all kinds of money for a dress etc is foolish trying to make sure your kid looks better than the one next door is ridiculous. Why not wait till the prom and let them have something special to look forward too. Everyone don't like to run credit cards up like maybe you and other people constantly buying all these big expensive formals and the expenses that go along with it in Dec and turn around and do it again in May. It is hard enough just living a normal live these days without all these extra things such as these extra dances where you are going all out for formals where it is so foolish. Why not wear dressy clothes and let it go. The prom would be more exciting and more to look forward too in May.This is just called SPOILING a child! This is not showing a child RESPONSIBILITY of taking care of money and how to spend it when they do get out on their own when they do graduate. I do feel sorry for your child for sure as they are going nothing about saving money or responsibilities. I know the world gives most children what they want but you have to teach them and let them learn things. Let them know who is BOSS!!!
here comes money

Charleston, WV

#11 Oct 13, 2010
Eunice2010 wrote:
Yeah, it is all a fairy tale. Real life does set in, and when they have spent the previous 18 years of their lives feeling special, I guess it is quite a shocker when they realize they are not. I don't see it as my job at all to put out money on all those dances from Middle school on. I think the junior-senior prom is well, enough. Besides if there are so many dances, before then, it makes the prom, which is MEANT to be special, just another dance. If you ask me, other than the traditional prom, it is all a money scam.
Amen. You are totally correct. Some of the moms just want to live their lives thru their kid(s). Some of them spend more on their dresses than I did on my entire wedding! No joke!
here comes money

Charleston, WV

#12 Oct 13, 2010
Dreamer wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is so stupid. Sure the prom is great to spend money on a beautiful dress. All these other dances such as a winter formal going out spending all kinds of money for a dress etc is foolish trying to make sure your kid looks better than the one next door is ridiculous. Why not wait till the prom and let them have something special to look forward too. Everyone don't like to run credit cards up like maybe you and other people constantly buying all these big expensive formals and the expenses that go along with it in Dec and turn around and do it again in May. It is hard enough just living a normal live these days without all these extra things such as these extra dances where you are going all out for formals where it is so foolish. Why not wear dressy clothes and let it go. The prom would be more exciting and more to look forward too in May.This is just called SPOILING a child! This is not showing a child RESPONSIBILITY of taking care of money and how to spend it when they do get out on their own when they do graduate. I do feel sorry for your child for sure as they are going nothing about saving money or responsibilities. I know the world gives most children what they want but you have to teach them and let them learn things. Let them know who is BOSS!!!
You, too, are correct in your thinking. These kids with parents who spend out the wazoo for these things start thinking that life is all about the material things and how you look and what brand of clothes, shoes, etc. you have. They will never make it out in the real world unless they get a really good and long education and become an attorney or a doctor or a professional athlete, actress, or something. Most of them won't do that because they really aren't getting a good enough education now to even begin that process, and sadly, they don't care about that. Neither do the moms and dads. It's like, if they can make their little girls and boys LOOK like they stepped out of a Cinderella story, then that makes life all grand. Maybe it does, but only for a few hours, and then it's back to reality. How to pay for all that "stuff". MOST (not all) of these people can't even pay their bills month to month, but look what they think is more important than paying bills. Getting more in debt by the day. Sad, but true.
dishonest all state

Pineville, WV

#13 Oct 22, 2010
no one wears tuxes to these things. guys dress usually a button up shirt and tie. if i ever wore i tux to my formals they would beat the sh** out of me like they did cantrell
hello

Long Beach, CA

#14 Dec 10, 2012
this is just weird
Anonymous

San Gabriel, CA

#15 Oct 29, 2015
mhs student wrote:
Just wandering if the girls are really dressing up for the Winter Formal? Is it like a Prom? Do the guys wear tux's? Not sure what to wear. Can someone help me!
I think it's similar to Prom, but you don't HAVE to dress as fancy...
I guess you could say it's semi-dressy to dressy.
Most guys go in more of a suit and tie than Tux? But I guess it wouldn't hurt. Why not look your sharpest, right???:)

I was just browsing around, and I found some cute dresses. These are the kinds of dresses you should be looking for:

http://www.trulymetoo.com/363/Belladonna--Par...

http://www.trulymetoo.com/353/Priscilla-Party...

http://www.trulymetoo.com/93/Neon-Ombre-Dress

http://www.trulymetoo.com/465/Metallic-Party-...

Good Luck! Hope you have a ton of fun at your Winter Formal!
Just saying

Prestonsburg, KY

#16 Oct 31, 2015
A mom wrote:
Well as a mom I say go all out. There are no times after graduation to wear formal gowns until a wedding. I spent way too much on my daughter for every dance and I would do It again if I had the chance. I think that's why we work so hard, so we can give our kids the best of everything. It's the time when they can feel special and pretty and years from now they will see those pictures and remember how much fun they had. I think we should give them all the good memories we can because after high school, real life sets in. And most of the time it's not much fun. Besides you can't wear sequins to Walmart. Let the kids enjoy it now. There are plenty of second hand dresses out there for cheap. There's no excuse for not making them feel special now and as a mom I think it's my job.
I so agree! Not all kids are juniors and seniors either, so they may not get to attend the prom. It is called formal for a reason. I remember when football players wore dress shirts and ties to and from the games. After graduation is great, college is a blast, but now in the present is what we need to look at! Let them dress the best they can, and they will have a great time at formal. Remember if you don't think formal is necessary you don't have to attend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Man Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DROP A Word AND ADD a word (Jan '10) 11 hr Doug77 13,864
Sarah Caserta 16 hr Cost Ran Amook 2
Club Infinity Sat Cooter 4
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Jun 24 Wotan 4,142
Tammys Friday Luncheon Jun 23 Tammy 1
drop a word/add a word (Jan '10) Jun 23 Princess Hey 15,104
Hi ladies Jun 21 Mamba 7

Man Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Man Mortgages