Marvel at Mammoth Cave

Marvel at Mammoth Cave

There are 55 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Oct 23, 2009, titled Marvel at Mammoth Cave. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

Mammoth Cave, the largest underground formation known to man and one of the world's great natural wonders, is less than a 100-mile drive from Louisville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
band dad

Hodgenville, KY

#1 Oct 26, 2009
it is great
girl from church

Hodgenville, KY

#2 Oct 26, 2009
yepper
teacher at ECHS

Hodgenville, KY

#3 Oct 26, 2009
groovy
gober

Hodgenville, KY

#4 Oct 26, 2009
its dark
duh

Hodgenville, KY

#5 Oct 26, 2009
suppose to be
really

Hodgenville, KY

#6 Oct 26, 2009
need a light
JAMES

Gilbert, AZ

#7 Oct 30, 2009
It's where all kentuckian women crawled out of.
Just wondering

Glasgow, KY

#8 Oct 31, 2009
Why do you need to change possitive things to negativity. Do you get a thill from it? Kentucky women seem to be pretty good women, I've been married to one for over 15 years, and not looking to trade her in.
Beatrice

Prospect, KY

#9 Nov 3, 2009
JAMES wrote:
It's where all kentuckian women crawled out of.
There are two Mammoth Caves....the tourist attraction and Jameses rectum.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

#10 Nov 3, 2009
I don't understand the fascination with Mammoth Cave. The only thing it has going for it is that it's hte longest known cave system in the world. Other than that it's not really spectacular. There are many caves that are better than Mammoth. Lechuguilla cave is one of them as it's the deepest cave in the US and contains rare formations in perfect condition and strange geology and lithoautotrophic bacteria that gets it's energy from non biological origins and that's pretty awesome and rare! I guess of all of the tourist caves Mammoth is the best but scientifically it's just a regular cave and the tour guides don't talk about geology which is the most important part. Blind fish are not rare. They are in every underground river system that isn't polluted and so I guess humans only think they are interesting because we never really see them on the surface. Giant Crystal cave is another cave that is excellent for scientific inquiry. Considering it boasts the deadliest environment and the largest Gypsum crystals on Earth and has the capability to teach us many things that we don't already know.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#11 Nov 3, 2009
Cards Fan wrote:
I don't understand the fascination with Mammoth Cave. The only thing it has going for it is that it's hte longest known cave system in the world. Other than that it's not really spectacular. There are many caves that are better than Mammoth. Lechuguilla cave is one of them as it's the deepest cave in the US and contains rare formations in perfect condition and strange geology and lithoautotrophic bacteria that gets it's energy from non biological origins and that's pretty awesome and rare! I guess of all of the tourist caves Mammoth is the best but scientifically it's just a regular cave and the tour guides don't talk about geology which is the most important part. Blind fish are not rare. They are in every underground river system that isn't polluted and so I guess humans only think they are interesting because we never really see them on the surface. Giant Crystal cave is another cave that is excellent for scientific inquiry. Considering it boasts the deadliest environment and the largest Gypsum crystals on Earth and has the capability to teach us many things that we don't already know.
I agree.We did the Frozen Niagra tour 3 years ago,and what a disappointment.Walk down a bunch of steps to see a few stalactites and than walk back up.Whoa,the excitement.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

#12 Nov 3, 2009
sandy63 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree.We did the Frozen Niagra tour 3 years ago,and what a disappointment.Walk down a bunch of steps to see a few stalactites and than walk back up.Whoa,the excitement.
Mammoth Cave is a ripoff. Sure it should be protected by the government for ecological purposes but it's not a really interesting cave. This whole area is a tourist trap. As a matter of fact I'd be pretty pissed off if I planned a vacation to Mammoth Cave and then realized how ran down and trash this whole area is.
Mammoth Cave

Doniphan, MO

#13 Nov 3, 2009
I guess takin a vacation to your house would be more fun so dont say anything if you dont have nothing good to say about it I work really hard it is good to know it is appreciated
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

#14 Nov 3, 2009
Mammoth Cave wrote:
I guess takin a vacation to your house would be more fun so dont say anything if you dont have nothing good to say about it I work really hard it is good to know it is appreciated
So what if you work there? It is what it is and if some people don't like it then oh well. Just because someone has a negative opinion of something doesn't mean they should not voice it! What do you think humans are? Just drones that walk around only programmed to think a certain way? Why would anyone take a vacation to anyones house? That's just stupid. This area IS a tourist trap and everyone knows it. Everyone who tries to play this whole area up is doing nothing but polishing a turd.
pcr

Rineyville, KY

#16 Nov 5, 2009
Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>So what if you work there? It is what it is and if some people don't like it then oh well. Just because someone has a negative opinion of something doesn't mean they should not voice it! What do you think humans are? Just drones that walk around only programmed to think a certain way? Why would anyone take a vacation to anyones house? That's just stupid. Thirea IS a tourist trap and everyone knows it. Everyone who tries to play this whole area up is doing nothing but polishing a turd.
i guess it takes a polished turd to know another polished turd why dont you get a life maybe get a little and you will not be so negative about every thing. You remind me of a lady I work with and she is negative about everything too come to find out her husband could not get it up after he go meds she got happier maybe you should try that
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

#17 Nov 5, 2009
pcr wrote:
<quoted text> i guess it takes a polished turd to know another polished turd why dont you get a life maybe get a little and you will not be so negative about every thing. You remind me of a lady I work with and she is negative about everything too come to find out her husband could not get it up after he go meds she got happier maybe you should try that
Oh come on that "takes one to know one" response doesn't even make sense. I mean if you really think about it critically if you know how to do that. I'm not negative about everything. I just so happens I have a negative view of everything that YOU like. Get over it. Why would you even know about your co workers sex life? Isn't that personal? Do none of you have personal boundaries in your little ass town? Everyone knows when everyone lets a fart around there. No wonder you people are all fucked up. You are too worried about everyone but yourself.
pcr

Rineyville, KY

#18 Nov 6, 2009
Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Oh come on that "takes one to know one" response doesn't even make sense. I mean if you really think about it critically if you know how to do that. I'm not negative about everything. I just so happens I have a negative view of everything that YOU like. Get over it. Why would you even know about your co workers sex life? Isn't that personal? Do none of you have personal boundaries in your little ass town? Everyone knows when everyone lets a fart around there. No wonder you people are all fucked up. You are too worried about everyone but yourself.
Well did I hit or nerve or what. As far as what I know about my co worker she choose to tell people. My opinion is just that mine just like yours. And I can tell you a few things that you would not like one I know your type. You may not be poor white trash but trash you are. You may not be on the tax payers payroll but you also act like people owe you something. And when someone can go at it with you then YOU get all torn up. My opinion about you is just like your opinions about everything else negative.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

#19 Nov 7, 2009
pcr wrote:
<quoted text> Well did I hit or nerve or what. As far as what I know about my co worker she choose to tell people. My opinion is just that mine just like yours. And I can tell you a few things that you would not like one I know your type. You may not be poor white trash but trash you are. You may not be on the tax payers payroll but you also act like people owe you something. And when someone can go at it with you then YOU get all torn up. My opinion about you is just like your opinions about everything else negative.
Just because someone contradicts you doesn't mean they are mad. It takes more than someone I don't even know typing on a website to make me mad. Mess with my money or the well being of my family and close friends and then I get mad but that's about it. Well just because your co worker tells you something doesn't mean you have to make it your business. Many of my co workers volunteer information that isn't any of my concern and so I don't even listen to them. I have enough things to worry about than whether or not my co workers are sexually satisfied. You should too. No one owes me anything just as I don't owe anyone else anything.
ur ignorant

Centerville, TX

#20 Nov 7, 2009
Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Mammoth Cave is a ripoff. Sure it should be protected by the government for ecological purposes but it's not a really interesting cave. This whole area is a tourist trap. As a matter of fact I'd be pretty pissed off if I planned a vacation to Mammoth Cave and then realized how ran down and trash this whole area is.
which one of the cave systems did you crawl out of?
Just FYI

Nashville, TN

#21 Nov 11, 2009
I have no issue with anyone who doesn't like going into Mammoth Cave at all,that's a personal opinion but don't sell it short. Being the longest cave system by over one hundred miles is pretty spectacular. And while eyeless fish aren't rare, eyeless freshwater cave shrimp most certainly are and Mammoth Cave is insofar as has been researched, one of the only places they exist. It hosts artifacts that have been carbon dated to nearly 4000 years ago and thousands of artifacts relating to settlers and early Americans. Lechuguilla is a fascinating cave but it's also not open to public viewing. And Mammoth Cave doesn't boast a large amount of travertine formations, but that's not the only thing that makes a cave interesting. Mammoth Cave has huge hosts of gypsum formations, but most of them aren't on tour routes because gypsum is fragile and easily hurt by human contact.

Not trying to get into quintessential Topix bashing or slander, I'm just personally a fan of Mammoth Cave and wanted to outline some of the cool things it does have going for it.

Now, as is the way of Topix posting, feel free to call into question all my personal habits in the most nasty and tasteless ways.=) Have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mammoth Cave Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where can i find some meth (Dec '11) 1 hr Jamal 92
Mayor Chris Holder shot in Hardyville 13 hr Connie 54
New mayors redneck liquor store at 31w/hwy 90 (Mar '15) 13 hr Connie 16
Doctors in munfordville 15 hr Dog 16
Who is Jess Perkins cross 17 hr Who 1
Riley 21 hr DWayne 8
Teacher 22 hr Annoyous 1

Mammoth Cave Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mammoth Cave Mortgages