Marvel at Mammoth Cave

Oct 23, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

Mammoth Cave, the largest underground formation known to man and one of the world's great natural wonders, is less than a 100-mile drive from Louisville.

Comments
1 - 20 of 55 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
band dad

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

it is great
girl from church

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

yepper
teacher at ECHS

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

groovy
gober

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

its dark
duh

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

suppose to be
really

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

need a light
JAMES

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

Judged:

It's where all kentuckian women crawled out of.
Just wondering

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2009

Judged:

Why do you need to change possitive things to negativity. Do you get a thill from it? Kentucky women seem to be pretty good women, I've been married to one for over 15 years, and not looking to trade her in.
Beatrice

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

JAMES wrote:
It's where all kentuckian women crawled out of.
There are two Mammoth Caves....the tourist attraction and Jameses rectum.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

I don't understand the fascination with Mammoth Cave. The only thing it has going for it is that it's hte longest known cave system in the world. Other than that it's not really spectacular. There are many caves that are better than Mammoth. Lechuguilla cave is one of them as it's the deepest cave in the US and contains rare formations in perfect condition and strange geology and lithoautotrophic bacteria that gets it's energy from non biological origins and that's pretty awesome and rare! I guess of all of the tourist caves Mammoth is the best but scientifically it's just a regular cave and the tour guides don't talk about geology which is the most important part. Blind fish are not rare. They are in every underground river system that isn't polluted and so I guess humans only think they are interesting because we never really see them on the surface. Giant Crystal cave is another cave that is excellent for scientific inquiry. Considering it boasts the deadliest environment and the largest Gypsum crystals on Earth and has the capability to teach us many things that we don't already know.

“Hi there”

Since: Jun 08

The Hill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Cards Fan wrote:
I don't understand the fascination with Mammoth Cave. The only thing it has going for it is that it's hte longest known cave system in the world. Other than that it's not really spectacular. There are many caves that are better than Mammoth. Lechuguilla cave is one of them as it's the deepest cave in the US and contains rare formations in perfect condition and strange geology and lithoautotrophic bacteria that gets it's energy from non biological origins and that's pretty awesome and rare! I guess of all of the tourist caves Mammoth is the best but scientifically it's just a regular cave and the tour guides don't talk about geology which is the most important part. Blind fish are not rare. They are in every underground river system that isn't polluted and so I guess humans only think they are interesting because we never really see them on the surface. Giant Crystal cave is another cave that is excellent for scientific inquiry. Considering it boasts the deadliest environment and the largest Gypsum crystals on Earth and has the capability to teach us many things that we don't already know.
I agree.We did the Frozen Niagra tour 3 years ago,and what a disappointment.Walk down a bunch of steps to see a few stalactites and than walk back up.Whoa,the excitement.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

sandy63 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree.We did the Frozen Niagra tour 3 years ago,and what a disappointment.Walk down a bunch of steps to see a few stalactites and than walk back up.Whoa,the excitement.
Mammoth Cave is a ripoff. Sure it should be protected by the government for ecological purposes but it's not a really interesting cave. This whole area is a tourist trap. As a matter of fact I'd be pretty pissed off if I planned a vacation to Mammoth Cave and then realized how ran down and trash this whole area is.
Mammoth Cave

Lebanon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

I guess takin a vacation to your house would be more fun so dont say anything if you dont have nothing good to say about it I work really hard it is good to know it is appreciated
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

Mammoth Cave wrote:
I guess takin a vacation to your house would be more fun so dont say anything if you dont have nothing good to say about it I work really hard it is good to know it is appreciated
So what if you work there? It is what it is and if some people don't like it then oh well. Just because someone has a negative opinion of something doesn't mean they should not voice it! What do you think humans are? Just drones that walk around only programmed to think a certain way? Why would anyone take a vacation to anyones house? That's just stupid. This area IS a tourist trap and everyone knows it. Everyone who tries to play this whole area up is doing nothing but polishing a turd.
pcr

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>So what if you work there? It is what it is and if some people don't like it then oh well. Just because someone has a negative opinion of something doesn't mean they should not voice it! What do you think humans are? Just drones that walk around only programmed to think a certain way? Why would anyone take a vacation to anyones house? That's just stupid. Thirea IS a tourist trap and everyone knows it. Everyone who tries to play this whole area up is doing nothing but polishing a turd.
i guess it takes a polished turd to know another polished turd why dont you get a life maybe get a little and you will not be so negative about every thing. You remind me of a lady I work with and she is negative about everything too come to find out her husband could not get it up after he go meds she got happier maybe you should try that
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

pcr wrote:
<quoted text> i guess it takes a polished turd to know another polished turd why dont you get a life maybe get a little and you will not be so negative about every thing. You remind me of a lady I work with and she is negative about everything too come to find out her husband could not get it up after he go meds she got happier maybe you should try that
Oh come on that "takes one to know one" response doesn't even make sense. I mean if you really think about it critically if you know how to do that. I'm not negative about everything. I just so happens I have a negative view of everything that YOU like. Get over it. Why would you even know about your co workers sex life? Isn't that personal? Do none of you have personal boundaries in your little ass town? Everyone knows when everyone lets a fart around there. No wonder you people are all fucked up. You are too worried about everyone but yourself.
pcr

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2009

Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Oh come on that "takes one to know one" response doesn't even make sense. I mean if you really think about it critically if you know how to do that. I'm not negative about everything. I just so happens I have a negative view of everything that YOU like. Get over it. Why would you even know about your co workers sex life? Isn't that personal? Do none of you have personal boundaries in your little ass town? Everyone knows when everyone lets a fart around there. No wonder you people are all fucked up. You are too worried about everyone but yourself.
Well did I hit or nerve or what. As far as what I know about my co worker she choose to tell people. My opinion is just that mine just like yours. And I can tell you a few things that you would not like one I know your type. You may not be poor white trash but trash you are. You may not be on the tax payers payroll but you also act like people owe you something. And when someone can go at it with you then YOU get all torn up. My opinion about you is just like your opinions about everything else negative.
Cards Fan

Decorah, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

pcr wrote:
<quoted text> Well did I hit or nerve or what. As far as what I know about my co worker she choose to tell people. My opinion is just that mine just like yours. And I can tell you a few things that you would not like one I know your type. You may not be poor white trash but trash you are. You may not be on the tax payers payroll but you also act like people owe you something. And when someone can go at it with you then YOU get all torn up. My opinion about you is just like your opinions about everything else negative.
Just because someone contradicts you doesn't mean they are mad. It takes more than someone I don't even know typing on a website to make me mad. Mess with my money or the well being of my family and close friends and then I get mad but that's about it. Well just because your co worker tells you something doesn't mean you have to make it your business. Many of my co workers volunteer information that isn't any of my concern and so I don't even listen to them. I have enough things to worry about than whether or not my co workers are sexually satisfied. You should too. No one owes me anything just as I don't owe anyone else anything.
ur ignorant

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Cards Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Mammoth Cave is a ripoff. Sure it should be protected by the government for ecological purposes but it's not a really interesting cave. This whole area is a tourist trap. As a matter of fact I'd be pretty pissed off if I planned a vacation to Mammoth Cave and then realized how ran down and trash this whole area is.
which one of the cave systems did you crawl out of?
Just FYI

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I have no issue with anyone who doesn't like going into Mammoth Cave at all,that's a personal opinion but don't sell it short. Being the longest cave system by over one hundred miles is pretty spectacular. And while eyeless fish aren't rare, eyeless freshwater cave shrimp most certainly are and Mammoth Cave is insofar as has been researched, one of the only places they exist. It hosts artifacts that have been carbon dated to nearly 4000 years ago and thousands of artifacts relating to settlers and early Americans. Lechuguilla is a fascinating cave but it's also not open to public viewing. And Mammoth Cave doesn't boast a large amount of travertine formations, but that's not the only thing that makes a cave interesting. Mammoth Cave has huge hosts of gypsum formations, but most of them aren't on tour routes because gypsum is fragile and easily hurt by human contact.

Not trying to get into quintessential Topix bashing or slander, I'm just personally a fan of Mammoth Cave and wanted to outline some of the cool things it does have going for it.

Now, as is the way of Topix posting, feel free to call into question all my personal habits in the most nasty and tasteless ways.=) Have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mammoth Cave Discussions

Search the Mammoth Cave Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyler Simcoe 10 min Haha 1
Paige ardt 12 min Smh 5
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min sure 147,051
Hauling Amish (Aug '11) 1 hr justcurious 128
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr Buck Ofama 16,131
James Jarvis 35, Korey Rushing caught! (Nov '10) 4 hr No Need to Know 11
cutest girl in park city? (May '10) 5 hr well 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Mammoth Cave Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mammoth Cave People Search