Growing up in Mamaroneck
Dave Sleight

Spring Grove, PA

#202 Feb 17, 2009
Though I grew up in North White Plains, I share in common the memories of a fine safe place to live in a Westchester County far different from today’s version. All things considered we are so fortunate to have wonderful memories while many we’ve meant since don’t. Funny, as like many I couldn’t wait to get out and see the world when I was younger only to find in my later years my thoughts often fondly going back to the places I was running from and using them as a measure of acceptable standards…….
loyal inn rat

Blackwood, NJ

#203 Feb 18, 2009
[wow. all these names bring back some memories. i knew them all, and bowled with them as well.
Louis Chiarito

AOL

#204 Feb 21, 2009
Players on the 49ers in 1949 were as follows
C. Bruce Cunningham
P/3B Paul Cunningham
P/3B Tommmy Zeh
1B Charlie Haviland
2B Billie Mackie/Lou Chiarito
ss John Kenney
Of Gorham Cowl
of Junie Hall
of Albert Walker
Supervisor Dick Berkcow
As a 11 yr old in 49 you were 30 lbs too light and nine inches to short. They could not get the mask and protector tighten enough to stay put on you. I played 2 years. You played after that.
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#205 Feb 23, 2009
Purple Wave wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree with you more. Are you related to Jimmy and Joe Lanza??
Yup they are my first Cuz.. I love them dearly we played together as kids...
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#206 Feb 23, 2009
partdudelv wrote:
is that the same gary lanza who lived on raleigh rd. up in the heights?
Indeed it is... Raleigh Road... Great street... I enjoyed growing up there
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#207 Feb 23, 2009
Ed Bloes wrote:
Are you any relation to Mitchell Lanza? I went to Mama'k high school with him in the 1950's.<quoted text>
Yes .. Uncle Mitch was my dads cuz.. I remember him well.. because as kids.. he always gave me a few bucks.. a kind and gentle man.. Gary
My father was Joe The Banker
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#208 Feb 23, 2009
Mamaroneck will always be in my heart as my childhood place. I explored the woods, the dump ( up on Mamaroneck ave, near Kentucky stables) played in the street of Raleigh Road, and spent my summers playing ringalario with all the neighbors. Too bad kids today dont even go outside. I loved my bike and the games we played. I loved Kitty and Annes, and Frosty Ice cream stand. Bob's Hobbies ( which I later bought than sold) What a sweet place to grow up!!
partdudelv

Las Vegas, NV

#209 Feb 23, 2009
hey gary, it's tony fratt. how ya doin'? raleigh rd. was indeed a great place to grow up. how about goin' back into the woods by the thruway ramp & riding mini bikes? and trying not to fall into the hole from hell that was back there?
i flew back about 3 years ago & stopped at the old house. my god, how the street has changed. everything is so overgrown. the house kathy rice lived in is in shambles. mine wasn't too bad. yours & the wassermans still looked good.
there were some memories on that street.
so where in carmel do you live? when i first got married i lived up on some big hill where they had built apartments. can't remember the name of it though. it was pretty close to 84 on the carmel side. lived there for 2 years cause that's where my wife was from. glad that's over with.
been living out in vegas since 92. helluva lot different than mam'k. but, there's no walters out here!!!
let me know what you've been up to.
mom passed away in april 83, but dad is still going strong. he just turned 94 in dec. he's in fl. now with his girlfriend (she's 90) he'll be back in pt. chester in april. does 6 months in fl & 6 in ny. good genes.
talk to ya soon!!!
purple wave

Clearwater, FL

#210 Feb 24, 2009
Gary Lanza wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup they are my first Cuz.. I love them dearly we played together as kids...
Thought so, we've met. Did you help Jimmy and Jill fix up the second house that they bought? Do you have a daughter?
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#211 Feb 24, 2009
TONY FRAT!!! HI buddy, glad to hear from you!! I actually live in East Fishkill... Hopewell Junction, I had 4 kids...How can I forget you and your dad, his cars, and of course .. YOU.. I went back too.. I tried to go in the back yard, but the guy who owned the house was kind of not that friendy.. Remember Billy Bork? Chris Argenta, Joey Colangelo, and who can forget ANGIE PERGOLA, yelling in Italian....across the neighborhood. I miss those days..Linda Mastruzzi and doing my paper route.. Memories that can't be taken away..right? It's so different now.. it's sad..Tell me more about you.. My E mail is [email protected]
Gary Lanza

Chappaqua, NY

#212 Feb 24, 2009
purple wave wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought so, we've met. Did you help Jimmy and Jill fix up the second house that they bought? Do you have a daughter?
I have 3 Daughters, and no I didnt help them.. I had moved way before they bought the second house..Who are you? Gary
Purple Wave

Clearwater, FL

#213 Feb 27, 2009
Just an old friend of Jimmy & Jill's. Spent alot of time at the house on Laurel La. Spent time with them at Jill's family's house in Roscoe. I remember when Lanza Electric just had 3 vans, they've come along way.
Jimmy once told me that Joe was part of the rock group "Steam" that had the huge hit " Kiss Him Goodbye". I have been unable to find any evidence of that being true, do you?
Anyway, my daughter is the same age as Jackie and they attended Rye Neck together. My son was a few years younger than James, but they hung out a bit as kids. Jimmy and Joe's parents were good people and Jimmy's dad actually helped me with some cement work at my house, he was a real master craftsman.
One of your nieces worked for me while I was the Service Manager at mayer Volvo. I think her name was Tara. I got her the job, but she didn't last to long.
john mcintyre

AOL

#214 Feb 28, 2009
hi purple wave,
you are all over this site but know one knows your name? as asked before who are you.
Purple Wave

Clearwater, FL

#215 Mar 2, 2009
john mcintyre wrote:
hi purple wave,
you are all over this site but know one knows your name? as asked before who are you.
I'm someone who knows lots of people from lots of different places in New Rochelle, Mamaroneck and many other places in Westchester. I've done lots of things with many different people and have an iron clad memory for people, places and things. I'm the eye in the sky, and have an ear to the ground!!! I've seen alot, done alot and remember it all.
I am the Purple Wave!!!
john mcintyre

AOL

#216 Mar 3, 2009
hi purple wave,
did you play any sport for new rochelle h.s. as purple wave and huguenots are nick names for that h.s.glad you know a lot of people as i aslo know many people.com e on mystery man who are you or do you really dont want to be recognized.
Sasquatch

Bronx, NY

#217 Mar 3, 2009
I do not blame the "purple Wave" for not divulging
his(or her) idenity. There are a few wackos on this
forum(we all know some) and it is best to remain a
anoymous. He has already told us he is the "Purple Wave" and there is no more to be said.
I am the "Great Sasquatch" but I rarely use Great
because of my humility.
Yours in truth and humility,
G. Sasquatch
Purple Wave

Clearwater, FL

#218 Mar 4, 2009
john mcintyre wrote:
hi purple wave,
did you play any sport for new rochelle h.s. as purple wave and huguenots are nick names for that h.s.glad you know a lot of people as i aslo know many people.com e on mystery man who are you or do you really dont want to be recognized.
Hi John,
Yes I swam on some very good swim teams at NRHS and was captain my senior year. As a matter of fact I tried to organize a reunion swim meet between NRHS and Iona Prep for swimmers between 1965-1975 and had made alot of headway until NRHS said we couldn't do it for insurance reasons. It would have been a blast. I've left so much info on this site about who I am that anybody that really cared could figure it out in a flash. The wackos on this site don't bother me, I just think it's more fun to use the nickname. If John is your real name, I don't believe our pathes crossed, but we probably know people that know people and so on and son......
john mcintyre

AOL

#219 Mar 4, 2009
hi purple wave,
thanks for the explanation. i also participated in sports at mamaroneck h.s. where i was the captain of the track and cross country teams. i know you must remember the great swim teams from mamaroneck h.s. as in the mid fifties they were hard to beat. john is my real first name, and so far i havent run into any whackos.chat with you soon.
Purple Wave

Clearwater, FL

#220 Mar 5, 2009
john mcintyre wrote:
hi purple wave,
thanks for the explanation. i also participated in sports at mamaroneck h.s. where i was the captain of the track and cross country teams. i know you must remember the great swim teams from mamaroneck h.s. as in the mid fifties they were hard to beat. john is my real first name, and so far i havent run into any whackos.chat with you soon.
Hi John,
The 50's were a bit to early for me, but I swam in the first swim meet at the Hommocks Pool. There were some very good swimmers and divers that came out of Mamaroneck and Larchmont, especially from Badger Swim Club. John Collins does some job over there.
john mcintyre

AOL

#221 Mar 5, 2009
HI PURPLE WAVE,
YES THE BADGER SWIM CLUB HAD MANY GREAT SWIMMERS AND SOME WERE OLYMPIANS THAT EARNED GOLD MEDALS IN THE OLYMPICS. ONE YEAR (THINK IT WAS 1955 OR 1956) WHERE MAMARONECK BEAT PEEKSKILL MILITARY ACADEMY AND THEY WERE RANKED FIRST IN THE NATION IN SWIMMING. CHAT WITH YOU SOON.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mamaroneck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Too many Mexicans in the Bronx (Jul '11) Jun 21 John 56
Wake up our Food and Water is being poisoned!!! Jun 15 ami zing 2
Angie jupin in jail for drugs. Jun 12 Ratting trolls al... 4
News Father Charged In Daughter's Murder Tops Westch... Jun 12 333stenbrian 1
News NYC's De Blasio: 'Children Will Die' Because of... Jun 10 you hate the truth 6
News NY Woman Arrested for Serial Fraud (Jun '14) Jun 7 trumans treason 24
NY Botanical Garden Jun 6 GHawthorne 1

Mamaroneck Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mamaroneck Mortgages