Cuomo's wrong target: retired adminis...

Cuomo's wrong target: retired administrators

There are 45 comments on the Newsday story from May 15, 2008, titled Cuomo's wrong target: retired administrators. In it, Newsday reports that:

As a taxpayer and the parent of two school-age children, I'm all in favor of denying state pensions to lawyers who pretended to be school employees and a superintendent who was convicted of stealing from his ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
corruption runs deep

Palm Coast, FL

#1 May 15, 2008
Its wrong plain and simple.
pieces of garbage

Peekskill, NY

#2 May 15, 2008
Fraudulent pieces of garbage.
Agreed

Plainview, NY

#3 May 15, 2008
I agree that the practice of hiring retirees to fill in during the process of finding permanent replacements is a good idea. A Superintendent search can sometimes take a few months to complete.

However, as a result of the lax oversight of the waivers granted by NYS, local school boards have started to take advantage of this law by keeping retirees on as permanent employees. Because of this, younger candidates without as many years' experience are not being considered for these positions. Rest assured that there are plenty of qualified applicants out there for each and every one of these positions, just not with 30 years' experience.

The law needs to be tweeked a bit to limit the $$ amount...no exceptions...and the time that a retiree can hold one of these positions.

I do agree that Cuomo is grandstanding to make it look like he is "onto something". His actions just add to the feeding frenzy that Newsday incited. If Cuomo really wants to make a difference he will take the steps necessary to close the loopholes in the laws written by HIS NYS Government.

That being said, the average citizen just believes what they read and doesn't know the laws as they are written and the true facts, so they will continue to think they are being robbed and cheated. As a result, the feeding frenzy will continue.....
Get It Straight

Norwalk, CT

#5 May 15, 2008
I also agree that Cuomo is barking up the wrong tree with this one. The law allows retirees to come back with waivers, the districts shouldn't be punished for doing something that is lawful.

That being said, I believe that the law now needs to be tweaked so we don't have any abuses of it.

And I wouldn't be so trusting of Hunderfund. He isn't doing your district any favors out of the goodness of his heart! Please. This man has a trail of lawsuits following him from what I understand, from previous districts he's worked for - Commack being one of them. There are some good retired supts out there doing their jobs, he just seems to be a "taker", not a "giver".
Fed up NYer

Corona, NY

#6 May 15, 2008
While I am no fan of Cuomo, I am all in favor of him looking into this matter. If the only result of his investigation is a recommendation to NYS to change the law, it is money well spent.

As for the pension, as part of union rules, these pensions are guaranteed a specific yearly return, 8% I believe. Any shortfalls are funded by tax dollars.

On a side note, what the writer of the article falied to mention is she is a member of the Malvern PTA as an officer/delegate.

http://www.malverne.k12.ny.us/pta.htm
DRC

Valley Stream, NY

#7 May 15, 2008
Oh this woman is exactly the reason we are all over-taxed. First off, she is a lawyer looking for the 'loopholes' in our laws and apparently never took a course in ethics. What may be legal is not always ethical and collecting a 300k pension then working again in the same field at 200k is unethical when in fact the taxpayers who have to pay the 200k salary and more than likely had to kick money into the NYS retirement system masked as something get STUCK with the bill. I live in Lynbrook and pay Malvern school taxes and like everyone else, they are REDICULOUS.

It is also interesting as one post mentioned that she is on the PTA and perhaps may have mentioned that over the fact she is a loophole finding lawyer.

It defies common sense, that she apparently does not possess, that anyone one living off the NYS retirement fund should go to the same exact job, often in the same school district by using LOOPHOLES in laws.

I, as one who pays $6600/year in school taxes to Malverne do NOT want my money to pay for this jacka$$ superintendent. 300k is an average salary for a LI Super? Hmm, here is some common sense, maybe that is too damn high...maybe if for years and years you didn't rob the tax dollars from the taxpayers to overpay them, they wouldn't all expect it. I'm not saying underpay them, but 300k...no super is worth that regardless of what they may or may not do for the beloved kids you claim are helped by a man making 500k/year in money. Maybe its the teachers who make the difference but a Super?

Maybe you want to pay your rediculous school tax bill for your 2 lovely children, but if I don't have any kids, don't want any kids and don't see how I should be paying as much money as you.

The system is broke, Consolidate schoools so each district does not have an overpaid Superintendent, there is no need for all of them. In an area the size of Nassau County, to have so many disparate school districts all with their overpaid Superintendents and tax-sucking school boards and high powered Unions is a joke. They say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but let me tell you, IT'S BROKE, IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED and SOON. Before your precious 2 kids get through the school system and realize there is no way in God's good Earth they can afford to live on Long Island because of 'double dipping, corruption and Woman like the one who has the audacity to write this article and explain away why she feels she is saving me money on my tax bill.

If your kids are smart or hardworkers they will succeed and no Overpriced Superintendent is going to change that.
The Truth

Yonkers, NY

#8 May 15, 2008
Get It Straight wrote:
Please. This man has a trail of lawsuits following him from what I understand, from previous districts he's worked for - Commack being one of them. There are some good retired supts out there doing their jobs, he just seems to be a "taker", not a "giver".
Whenever a district is sued the Super is named, simple as that. He has been personally sued one time and the judge that heard the case said it was a baseless lawsuit.
The Truth

Yonkers, NY

#9 May 15, 2008
DRC wrote:
when in fact the taxpayers who have to pay the 200k salary and more than likely had to kick money into the NYS retirement system masked as something get STUCK with the bill.
What are you talking about? Do you see helicopters flying all around you? Is everyone out to get you? "masked as something"? Masked as what? 500$ toilet seats like the CIA does. You have taken paranoid delusion to a new level.
corruption runs deep

Palm Coast, FL

#10 May 15, 2008
You must be Brian DeSorbe who has acess to political protection and uses passive violence to protect interests.
Agreed wrote:
I agree that the practice of hiring retirees to fill in during the process of finding permanent replacements is a good idea. A Superintendent search can sometimes take a few months to complete.
However, as a result of the lax oversight of the waivers granted by NYS, local school boards have started to take advantage of this law by keeping retirees on as permanent employees. Because of this, younger candidates without as many years' experience are not being considered for these positions. Rest assured that there are plenty of qualified applicants out there for each and every one of these positions, just not with 30 years' experience.
The law needs to be tweeked a bit to limit the $$ amount...no exceptions...and the time that a retiree can hold one of these positions.
I do agree that Cuomo is grandstanding to make it look like he is "onto something". His actions just add to the feeding frenzy that Newsday incited. If Cuomo really wants to make a difference he will take the steps necessary to close the loopholes in the laws written by HIS NYS Government.
That being said, the average citizen just believes what they read and doesn't know the laws as they are written and the true facts, so they will continue to think they are being robbed and cheated. As a result, the feeding frenzy will continue.....
The Truth

Yonkers, NY

#11 May 15, 2008
DRC wrote:
perhaps may have mentioned that over the fact she is a loophole finding lawyer.
Interesting. I've heard of trial lawyers, defense lawyers, tax lawyers ... many lawyers. But I've never heard of a "loophole finding lawyer". I suppose you intended to say that all lawyers are such. If you actually read this article or any article on the matter they all mention that this was a government instituted provision that attempted to bring qualified Supers back in to the game. Like it or not it was no loophole. Take it up with the state that came up eith the great idea not the people that accepted the states offer.
The Truth

Brooklyn, NY

#12 May 15, 2008
DRC wrote:
Maybe you want to pay your rediculous school tax bill for your 2 lovely children, but if I don't have any kids, don't want any kids and don't see how I should be paying as much money as you.

Before your precious 2 kids get through the school system and realize there is no way in God's good Earth they can afford to live on Long Island because of 'double dipping, corruption and Woman like the one who has the audacity to write this article and explain away why she feels she is saving me money on my tax bill.
If your kids are smart or hardworkers they will succeed and no Overpriced Superintendent is going to change that.
Now we're getting somewhere. You don't have kids, don't want kids,and shouldn't b.e paying for others kids.
Freud anyone?
The Truth

Yonkers, NY

#13 May 15, 2008
Bottom line, Hunderfund did amazing things with the Regents rate and I.B. at Commack. He turned the district in to a blue ribbon one at that. The guiy accepted what was offered him. Malverne pays him almost 100k less than he made at his last stop in Commack. He didn't leave work one day and come back the next as a "retiree", he took significant time off. There are many people/practices that need to be looked at in more depth but Hunderfund isn't one of them.
common sense

Brooklyn, NY

#14 May 15, 2008
Blame the teachers! Blame their unions! Gas is headed toward $5 a gallon, we are headed for a war with Iran, I say blame the teachers!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU ANDREW CUOMO

Bronx, NY

#15 May 15, 2008
Anyone who is against Andrew Cuomo going after these "interim" and/or retired administrators must be related to one, and also benefiting from The Money. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
It is DISGUSTING what they have been doing for Years, not only to All Taxpayers, but to the districts themselves, also, to the people who work in these Schools.
In order to justify these Large Raises,(THEY GIVE THEMSELVES) the "doubling dipping" etc,(The perks they also give themselves),Vacation pay,$850.00 per day salary,(even if they do not show up, They Fire EMPLOYEES, or force them out by ABUSE,...Then give themselves $40,000 dollar a year raises.TRUTH!
If The Public only new the truth about what really goes on.
YOU DON'T UNLESS YOU WORK THERE.They are Laughing All the way to the Banks, and Filling their pockets Big time!
No one, is against a retired person working in the schools, but This is nothing but 100% abuse of funds, and ABUSE of what they do to The hard working employees of the districts they move into. It really is SICKENING.
And anyone who thinks $350,000 per year for a superintendant,(or B.A), plus $7,500 for car allowance per year,plus an additional $200,000 per year, as an interim, is fine, NEEDS THEIR HEAD EXAMINED...or as I've stated, Must be related to them.
THIS IS WRONG, and in my opinion,They SHOULD BE subpoenad by Andrew Cuomo's Office.
They have abused the system,FOR WAY TOO MANY YEARS.
MJD

Manasquan, NJ

#16 May 15, 2008
Fed up NYer wrote:
While I am no fan of Cuomo, I am all in favor of him looking into this matter. If the only result of his investigation is a recommendation to NYS to change the law, it is money well spent.
As for the pension, as part of union rules, these pensions are guaranteed a specific yearly return, 8% I believe. Any shortfalls are funded by tax dollars.
On a side note, what the writer of the article falied to mention is she is a member of the Malvern PTA as an officer/delegate.
http://www.malverne.k12.ny.us/pta.htm
Why does it matter if she is a PTA officer? Are her children NOT in the school district? Are her taxes paying for the school district. The only thing I see is a community member who gets involved in many ways. What does being on the PTA have to do with her opinion? She would likely be on it regardless of who is superintendant.
Oh please

Manasquan, NJ

#17 May 15, 2008
DRC wrote:
Oh this woman is exactly the reason we are all over-taxed. First off, she is a lawyer looking for the 'loopholes' in our laws and apparently never took a course in ethics. What may be legal is not always ethical and collecting a 300k pension then working again in the same field at 200k is unethical when in fact the taxpayers who have to pay the 200k salary and more than likely had to kick money into the NYS retirement system masked as something get STUCK with the bill. I live in Lynbrook and pay Malvern school taxes and like everyone else, they are REDICULOUS.
#1 - Do you realize that if Malverne hires a new superintendant the salary will automatically be higher and as a direct result of the salary increase your taxes will also go up. Maybe you have a better solution?
#2 - If you are going to refute an opinion please try to be educated rather than opinionated and PLEASE learn the correct spelling of the word "RIDICULOUS"
THANK YOU ANDREW CUOMO

Bronx, NY

#18 May 15, 2008
"OH PLEASE" WROTE:"#2 - If you are going to refute an opinion please try to be educated rather than opinionated and PLEASE learn the correct spelling of the word "RIDICULOUS" "

**********
Oh please,

Who cares if the word Ridiculous was mispelled?
Her point was 200% correct.
Perhaps instead of trying to act Superior, realize that, What the poster stated, was TRUE.
You need to get educated on what REALLY IS GOING ON.
You are not.
Or...you do know, but
You are also benefiting from the Windfall of cash??
Perhaps your Husband or Wife is a Superintendant? A Buissness administrator, collecting such funds?? Hmmm........
Perhaps.
Go Blow Yourself

Valley Stream, NY

#19 May 15, 2008
What are you talking about? Do you see helicopters flying all around you? Is everyone out to get you? "masked as something"? Masked as what? 500$ toilet seats like the CIA does. You have taken paranoid delusion to a new level.

If I lived in Roosevelt I probably would be seeing helicopters
Jane-Nassau Cty

Hauppauge, NY

#20 May 15, 2008
Jeanne are you kidding with this opinion?? No one in the school systems is worth paying $100,000 more than the president of the United States is getting paid. Are you saying that Hunderfund's position is worth more than the President of the US? I don't think so. If you want to save money the laws should be changed. How is paying this gentleman $500,000 a year between Pension and Salary saving us money???!!! You must be an attorney because your accounting and analysis are alittle fuzzy. There needs to be a movement on Long Island to consolidate the school systems and put a cap on some of these salaries. You need to change the laws so that this double dipping doesn't take place. How long are Long Islanders expected to pay these high taxes and stay living here!!! Not everyone is a federal securities and antitrust litigation attorney like yourself. You have couples working hard and older people on fixed incomes struggling to pay taxes. That is why Long Island is losing younger families to other states. Who can afford to live here where the school taxes are at least 70% of your taxes paid and they go up every year. I will put a challenge out there to anyone who wants to run for office
and make this their top priority and not be bought and sold by the Teachers and Administrators lobbyists like the politicians in upstate and here on Long Island. Jeanne you are out of touch!
Fed up NYer

Corona, NY

#21 May 15, 2008
MJD wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it matter if she is a PTA officer? Are her children NOT in the school district? Are her taxes paying for the school district. The only thing I see is a community member who gets involved in many ways. What does being on the PTA have to do with her opinion? She would likely be on it regardless of who is superintendant.
It falls into the category of full disclosure. When providing an opinion arguing in favor of something, you should disclose any relationship you may have with the subject of your argument. To not do so may lead people to believe you are hiding something, regardless if you aren't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malverne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News stabbing victim identified - (Nov '07) Thu FreeAgg 823
Debate: Gay Marriage - Malverne, NY (Jan '12) Feb '14 Linda 3
News Election Day, Church Fair and Lynbrook Village ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 tommy deely 1
anouther drug dealer out again... (Nov '10) Apr '13 Worried in Malverne 13
News Nearby: Cops Seeking Man Wanted for Grand Larceny (Feb '13) Feb '13 vinny deprizio 1
News Helping Hurricane Sandy Victims: Local Collecti... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Laura 1
News Determined Trick-or-Treaters Hit the Streets De... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Theresa 1

Malverne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Malverne Mortgages