Recruiting foreign nurses for LI, metro area jobs

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 17, 2008, titled Recruiting foreign nurses for LI, metro area jobs. In it, Newsday reports that:

Faced with a nursing shortage that threatens to affect patient care, South Nassau Communities Hospital has launched a business that recruits registered nurses from abroad and places them in jobs - not just at ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
maggie

Shallotte, NC

#1 Mar 17, 2008
Sure hope they can READ what meds doctors prescribe.....
Blinkers on

Norristown, PA

#2 Mar 17, 2008
My dear lady,

In those countries English is taught as a language. Believe me most probably their English is better than yours too..But what knowledge can one expect from someone in NC.
unacceptable

Stormville, NY

#3 Mar 17, 2008
this can't be the only option. We are going to give our jobs to other countries, send our dollars to their home land, and this is ok. Is anyone awake. Our country is suffering a financial nightmare and this is what we come up with....how about training all the welfare people, offer an incentive(health insurance with no copays) something to keep our dollars and our jobs here. "The low average"is 60,000,...thats for U.S. citizens. Nurses from other countries will have housing added to that making the 60,000 money in the pocket. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!
jeff

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Mar 17, 2008
There's no nursing shortage here on Long Island! They just don't want to pay the one's that are here what they're worth! Our nurses are excellent and care but the hospitals can get foreigners to do the job for less so they hire them. The hospitals don't care if the foreigners are as good as our nurses!
Brian

Deer Park, NY

#5 Mar 17, 2008
Hospital administrations have been pushing RN's out for the last decade and replacing them with cheap caribean labor. This is nothing new hospitals do not want to pay nurses a good wage or give them contracts. Instead they keep the staff small and overworked forcing tenured nurses to give up and retire early. so a haitian helth aide can fill the spot at minimum wage. Hospitals DO NOT care about patients only $$$$ understand this and you will see the truth.
Bill11967

Bronx, NY

#6 Mar 17, 2008
I think we are all being brainwashed into giving Amnesty to the illegals so that they can be given Citizenship to fill jobs in this country for a cheaper rate then the Americans will take ..
Maybe if they were all sent back the hospitals won't need as many nurses to give them their free health care .
The population of our citizens is declining , jobs are going over seas and we need more workers in the U.S.A .Give me a break .Just like the govt wants us to believe they need more farm workers . Look at the labels on fruits and vegetables very few are from here .What are these workers from other countries picking.
BiBi Upstate Ukie

Albany, NY

#7 Mar 17, 2008
The nursing staffing shortage has been predicted for years. Many of the current nurses are retiring soon or are leaving for other jobs. Hiring qualified nurses from overseas is a reasonable solution to this staffing crunch. Not many Americans are willing or interested in going into nursing-God Bless the ones that do. It's often a thankless job, but having worked in a VA Medical Center, the nursing staff was the hardest working ones in the place.
James in EI

Shirley, NY

#8 Mar 17, 2008
Since I was a boy, it seems, there has been a nursing shortage. It appears to continue and, perhaps, to grow. And why is that?...because you need to be competent, smart and dexterous to do the job. So many get out of nursing because they find this out after they get out of school. It is a difficult, demanding job and relatively few are able and/or willing to be or do what is needed.
Randy

Hicksville, NY

#9 Mar 17, 2008
Will they get retiree medical benefits as the Amercian nurses do.
Jeannine Cranor

AOL

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Wasn't it just 10 to 12 years ago that hospitals were laying off "highly paid" nurses in order to improve the bottom line? Don't you remember the efforts to replace nurses (with 4 year degrees) with 'technicians'(equals no degree) at a fraction of what nurses earn. No wonder people are reluctant to enter a "profession" in which they are treated so badly. Since this is a 'hands-on' profession, and the job can not be outsourced to India, why not just go there and bring in the workers, bypassing US citizens any way you can? This makes me very very angry. If the need is so great, why not help USA young people go to college (by underwriting their education) in exchange for a few year's commitment working for your hospital? College tuition has gone up fearfully recently. Why isn't this the solution to the problem?
Mike

New York, NY

#11 Mar 17, 2008
BiBi Upstate Ukie wrote:
The nursing staffing shortage has been predicted for years. Many of the current nurses are retiring soon or are leaving for other jobs. Hiring qualified nurses from overseas is a reasonable solution to this staffing crunch. Not many Americans are willing or interested in going into nursing-God Bless the ones that do. It's often a thankless job, but having worked in a VA Medical Center, the nursing staff was the hardest working ones in the place.
My daughter is applying for nursing school, and it is tough that an American born person has to compete with other people from other country's not only for the jobs but also to get into to the nursing program "Sorry Just not enough Space"
Just a gimmick for the schools to get more aid.
Bill Cutting

New York, NY

#12 Mar 17, 2008
What a joke. Why don't they promote nursing as a career for "AMERICANS". I agree with a previous poster who said the recruitment of foreign nurses is due to the fact you can pay them less than an American nurse.

What is Ms. Mooney's and all the other administrators earning.

All I know is that I will avoid South Nassau Communities Hospital of India and Dubai.
Exactly so

Commack, NY

#13 Mar 17, 2008
jeff wrote:
There's no nursing shortage here on Long Island! They just don't want to pay the one's that are here what they're worth! Our nurses are excellent and care but the hospitals can get foreigners to do the job for less so they hire them. The hospitals don't care if the foreigners are as good as our nurses!
Yes, our hospitals and health care systems would rather farm out to other countries these nurse positions, so they can manipulate the Nurse salaries to keep them low. Nursing is a hard profession, and nurses are under paid and undervalued by these health care providers and hospitals, and nursing homes.
Wait till it is your own job that gets outsourced because you want a little bit of a reasonable wage increase to cover the taxes and increasing cost of living, and your company management says they will instead bring in a new supply of talent from outside the Country to keep your salary stuck from any increase.
It is happening to many now, and your own turn is right around the corner, so people of USA better wake up and demand this abuse by Corporate America is stopped now.
cheap johns

Commack, NY

#14 Mar 17, 2008
BiBi Upstate Ukie wrote:
You miss a big point, that American Nurses are being forced out of their jobs by low salaries, lousy hours with low salaries, and competition from outside USA where immigrants will take the job for less and maybe do less of a adequate job, but who cares if the patient can't or doesn't complain.
You must be a self employed person with your own business so you can see it the way you do.
More professions are being reduced to immigrant accepting salary levels, than just Nursing, so others will see how they must leave their professions to do a new job that is harder to define these days.
The corporate world in America doesn't care about its Country work force , but only how to make a quick and easy profit. Frankly, it will bite them some day when their workers level of professionalism and ethics doesn't match the discarded workers, and when they will have invited a more fierce competition for lowering costs to the brink of their own diminishing returns.
Bill Cutting

New York, NY

#15 Mar 17, 2008
Yes,

These "fatheads" at the top are the true pigs. These are the "vice-presidents" (fill in the blank) that all earn upwards of six figures or more.

Greed is not good
CfC

AOL

#16 Mar 17, 2008
I can tell you from experience that the patients do not like the nurses from india, they feel they are cold and they can't understand their english with the indian accent. They will work for less and put up with more also, it's a matter of survival.....they can overwork them, abuse them etc.... and they won't complain for fear of "breaking their contract" "losing their job" and "losing american citizenship". It's very sad....the nurses pay barely goes up each year, doesn't even keep pace with inflation, it's usually a 0% to 3% raise, usually 1-2% and the families and patients get more abusive to the staff.
Jeannine Cranor

AOL

#17 Mar 17, 2008
The Defense Dept. has purchased the next round of planes overseas. The IRS processes our taxes in India. Bear Sterns is the first bank to fail. Jobs that cannot be outsourced are being filled with immigrants, legal or illegal. The day is fast approaching when Americans will not be able to buy anything that's for sale in this country. When the last American consumer is out of work or in a very low paying job, who will buy the products? Will they be sold overseas, too?
Bill Cutting

New York, NY

#18 Mar 17, 2008
Boycott any hospital with Foreign labor.

Boycott any company that off shores their labor.

Boycott Saudi Oil.

Wake up America
Millie

Bronx, NY

#19 Mar 17, 2008
Although we need more nurses. One problem I have with this recruitment is a growing problem that is ignored in the "foreign worker in America" senario. The ESL Program is not thorough enough to prepare the foreigners to speak English well enough for Americans to understand. It is quite annoying for Americans to have to constantly repeat, "I don't understand what you said" to many of the imported foreign workers (who are also annoyed). The accents are so heavily imbedded. Language is a serious problem that need attention.
LI Registered Nurse

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Mar 17, 2008
The Nursing shortage/crisis is being felt everywhere. Nurses are getting older,a nd there are fewer and fewer of us. It is a sad state in this country when we have to go abroad and basically "steal" nurses from other countries. Makes America real popular in these countries too, I bet.
Nursing is a tough, very stressful and demanding profession. We need to figure out why American students don't want to study nursing.
I worry about who will take care of us when we are old.
It's really really bad out there. Everyone should be very concerned.
There really is a language barrier issue with the foreign nurses, too. It affects patient care whether folks want to believe it or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malverne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NYPD officer shot; search continues for suspects 7 hr Just Saying 1
News Fewer immigrants join yearly call for reform on... Fri wild child 1
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Apr 28 Kept 10
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Apr 28 aalexis97 22
Searching... Apr 26 Military Family 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Malverne, NY (Jan '12) Feb '14 Linda 3
News Election Day, Church Fair and Lynbrook Village ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 tommy deely 1
More from around the web

Malverne People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]