Three caught, sentenced; one rewarded

Three caught, sentenced; one rewarded

There are 15 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Mar 22, 2011, titled Three caught, sentenced; one rewarded. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

Looking on are Michele Specht , Farm Bureaua s organization director for Carroll County, and John Davis , Carroll County Farm Bureau president.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 23, 2011
Good Job, Vanessa!! Way to watch out for your community!
J L M

Dover, OH

#2 Mar 27, 2011
To Whom It May Concern;
I have been a close personal friend of the Simmons family for over a decade. While I am not here to discuss what was right or wrong in this unfortunate situation, I feel I need to make some facts clear, considering its been 6 months since the case was settled, and that this piece of trash article just so happens to coincide with Stephens judicial release.
First of all, Stephen had not had ANY problems with the law in over 5 years, yet Mr. McClain and Miss Motz were, at the time of the offense, being prosecuted for the EXACT same crime in mention, and were scheduled to have their house arrest monitoring devices placed on them the day after their arrests took place for this crime. The family was shown deer cam video of the crime scene, and Stephen Simmons is not ONCE visible on that footage. The co-defendants made their living doing this, and it just so happened that Stephen was with them when they were caught. What I find not only strange but OUTRAGEOUS is that Mr. McClain was only given 6 months in Eastern Ohio Correctional Facility, and Miss Motz was simply given probation!!! Where is the justice in our system??? Mr. McClain was the owner of the gun in question and repeated on more than one occasion WHILE IN THE COUNTY JAIL that 'he should have used it'. Our court let a multiple offender off with probation and a gun, while Stephen had to leave behind a daughter that he had custody of and was caring for full time.
This story was not only full of lies and half truths, it is an obvious and blatant attempt to deter his early release. I have a challenge for this county's 'justice' system - punish each offender EQUALLY!!! Lets not pick and choose according to who happens to be playing favorites that day. This county needs an overhaul. We're constantly hearing about all these crimes, and yet when you read the sentences in the paper, we're astonished.
GET THE FACTS!! This article was not only poorly written, as usual, but it left out key pieces of the case as a whole. If you're going to be given a job where it is pertinent for you to tell a story, then TELL IT RIGHT!! Spread the blame equally. It is more than obvious whats going on here, and should it affect Stephens request for judicial release, I'm certain that legal measures will be taken by the family.
Pray for justice, and pray for the families of those who never get any.

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#3 Mar 28, 2011
According to the article, they came down hard on Stephen because of the weapon. Looks to me like the county did what they were suppose to do in his case.
It doesnt matter how much time passed since he got caught. He was a convicted felon and cant be around guns. Even if the dont belong to him.
He really needs to find some better friends and quit commiting felonies.
J L M wrote:
To Whom It May Concern;
I have been a close personal friend of the Simmons family for over a decade. While I am not here to discuss what was right or wrong in this unfortunate situation, I feel I need to make some facts clear, considering its been 6 months since the case was settled, and that this piece of trash article just so happens to coincide with Stephens judicial release.
First of all, Stephen had not had ANY problems with the law in over 5 years, yet Mr. McClain and Miss Motz were, at the time of the offense, being prosecuted for the EXACT same crime in mention, and were scheduled to have their house arrest monitoring devices placed on them the day after their arrests took place for this crime. The family was shown deer cam video of the crime scene, and Stephen Simmons is not ONCE visible on that footage. The co-defendants made their living doing this, and it just so happened that Stephen was with them when they were caught. What I find not only strange but OUTRAGEOUS is that Mr. McClain was only given 6 months in Eastern Ohio Correctional Facility, and Miss Motz was simply given probation!!! Where is the justice in our system??? Mr. McClain was the owner of the gun in question and repeated on more than one occasion WHILE IN THE COUNTY JAIL that 'he should have used it'. Our court let a multiple offender off with probation and a gun, while Stephen had to leave behind a daughter that he had custody of and was caring for full time.
This story was not only full of lies and half truths, it is an obvious and blatant attempt to deter his early release. I have a challenge for this county's 'justice' system - punish each offender EQUALLY!!! Lets not pick and choose according to who happens to be playing favorites that day. This county needs an overhaul. We're constantly hearing about all these crimes, and yet when you read the sentences in the paper, we're astonished.
GET THE FACTS!! This article was not only poorly written, as usual, but it left out key pieces of the case as a whole. If you're going to be given a job where it is pertinent for you to tell a story, then TELL IT RIGHT!! Spread the blame equally. It is more than obvious whats going on here, and should it affect Stephens request for judicial release, I'm certain that legal measures will be taken by the family.
Pray for justice, and pray for the families of those who never get any.
Cindy P

United States

#4 Mar 31, 2011
Why would you want to defend this person. You say he hasn't been in trouble for 5 yrs., meaning he has been in trouble before! I bet if someone robbed your house and cut out your pipes you would be fuming and want them arrested and convicted. Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean you should stick up for them in a crime. That kind of thinking leads them to think it isn't so bad, my friends are backing me up. So you are contributing to him possibly doing it again. Do you know what it feels like to have your own personal house robbed? It is an awful feeling that never leaves you. You will never feel comfortable again. Why did he have weapon's? Maybe if someone had been home he would have killed them to cover up the burglary. Why are you jealous the other two got off easier. The woman sat in the car and probably only did it because she didnt want her guy to get mad at her. You make me angry. You bringing up Stephen's daughter is so funny. He should lose custody forever. He doesn't deserve a child. He will only be a bad influence on her. Go take a nice pill and try helping honest people.
no one here

Uhrichsville, OH

#5 Apr 1, 2011
Mr. Stevens should not have associated with this group of thieves, if he had't he wouldn't be in trouble. The old saying goes " you sleep with dogs you're going to get flees."

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 Apr 1, 2011
no one here wrote:
Mr. Stevens should not have associated with this group of thieves, if he had't he wouldn't be in trouble. The old saying goes " you sleep with dogs you're going to get flees."
...and FLEAs.....I agree!
ebs

Dover, OH

#7 Apr 4, 2011
FIRST OF ALL THE WEAPON WAS PLANTED IN THE VEHICLE, MR. SIMMONS DID NOT HAVE A CLUE IT WAS EVEN IN HIS PRESENCE!!!!! SECOND OF ALL MR. SIMMONS TOOK HIS PUNISHMENT STANDING UP, THE OTHER TWO WELL IT IS EASIER TO LIE THAN TAKE YOUR OWN PUNISHMENT! NOONE IS SAYING MR. SIMMONS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUNISHED WE ARE JUST SAYING ALL THREE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUNISHED EQUALLY!!!!! NOW THAT MR. MC CLAIN DID NOT GET WHAT HE DESERVED HE IS OUT AND VERBALLY ATTACKING MR. SIMMONS FAMILY, HOW FAIR IS THAT? PEOPLE NEED TO GET A CLUE IN THIS TOWN!!!! MAYBE YOU NEED TO GET FACTS NOT RUMORS!

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#8 Apr 4, 2011
ebs wrote:
FIRST OF ALL THE WEAPON WAS PLANTED IN THE VEHICLE, MR. SIMMONS DID NOT HAVE A CLUE IT WAS EVEN IN HIS PRESENCE!!!!! SECOND OF ALL MR. SIMMONS TOOK HIS PUNISHMENT STANDING UP, THE OTHER TWO WELL IT IS EASIER TO LIE THAN TAKE YOUR OWN PUNISHMENT! NOONE IS SAYING MR. SIMMONS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUNISHED WE ARE JUST SAYING ALL THREE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUNISHED EQUALLY!!!!! NOW THAT MR. MC CLAIN DID NOT GET WHAT HE DESERVED HE IS OUT AND VERBALLY ATTACKING MR. SIMMONS FAMILY, HOW FAIR IS THAT? PEOPLE NEED TO GET A CLUE IN THIS TOWN!!!! MAYBE YOU NEED TO GET FACTS NOT RUMORS!
The weapon was planted?
I've got a great bridge to sell you..hardly used...practically new!!
Again I say..Mr Simmons needs some new friends!!!!!!!!!!
goodolboy

Minerva, OH

#9 Apr 5, 2011
euro2me, i love your bridge comment...i saw him do that in broad daylight...hahaha omg, they did nothing to him....i also witnessed him pulling rail spikes and stealing rail plates, had a whole trunk full... done it from P'ville to Minerva and nothing done...I know he has an ar15 he poaches with and again nothing done...if your going to make crime your life do it right and the judge fells bad for ya...the whole family is f'ed up...when he was approached about it he "had permission to do it"and of course our PD took forever to catch him even when he was in the act skid steer and all..u didnt expect his lil' but to pick up those bridge rails did ya...
An American

Uhrichsville, OH

#10 Apr 11, 2011
He should should have chose better friend.
Jessica Morrison

Dover, OH

#11 Apr 12, 2011
Euro K 2Me wrote:
According to the article, they came down hard on Stephen because of the weapon. Looks to me like the county did what they were suppose to do in his case.
It doesnt matter how much time passed since he got caught. He was a convicted felon and cant be around guns. Even if the dont belong to him.
He really needs to find some better friends and quit commiting felonies.
<quoted text>
As I stated before, the gun belonged to Mr. McClain. Who, may I mention, has been investigated for stealing crates of guns from a boy scout camp 2 years ago. He never saw the gun. Once again, misinformed.

And please learn to spell before you insult someone.
Jessica Morrison

Dover, OH

#12 Apr 12, 2011
goodolboy wrote:
euro2me, i love your bridge comment...i saw him do that in broad daylight...hahaha omg, they did nothing to him....i also witnessed him pulling rail spikes and stealing rail plates, had a whole trunk full... done it from P'ville to Minerva and nothing done...I know he has an ar15 he poaches with and again nothing done...if your going to make crime your life do it right and the judge fells bad for ya...the whole family is f'ed up...when he was approached about it he "had permission to do it"and of course our PD took forever to catch him even when he was in the act skid steer and all..u didnt expect his lil' but to pick up those bridge rails did ya...
Just to be clear, it was MR MCCLAIN who stole the rail spikes. And was simply given probation. We have copies of every charge he has been brought up on. The list far outweighs Mr. Simmons, and he has spend a total of 6 months in jail... EOCC at that. Be informed.
Jessica Morrison

Dover, OH

#13 Apr 12, 2011
Cindy, you are obviously ignorant and uneducated. I was not defending him, I was simply stating that the punishments should have been the same. And Miss Motz did not 'sit in the car'! She and Mr. McClain were the only ones on the deer cams!! And Mr. McClain also stated while in custody that he wished he would have shot that bus diver!! WHO ARE YOU TO DECIDE WHO IS FIT TO BE A PARENT? MR MCCLAIN HAS A CHILD WHO HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO SEE BECAUSE HE BEAT THE CHILDS MOTHER!! While I take my 'nice pill', maybe you should take your anti-psychotic medications.;)
Cindy P wrote:
Why would you want to defend this person. You say he hasn't been in trouble for 5 yrs., meaning he has been in trouble before! I bet if someone robbed your house and cut out your pipes you would be fuming and want them arrested and convicted. Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean you should stick up for them in a crime. That kind of thinking leads them to think it isn't so bad, my friends are backing me up. So you are contributing to him possibly doing it again. Do you know what it feels like to have your own personal house robbed? It is an awful feeling that never leaves you. You will never feel comfortable again. Why did he have weapon's? Maybe if someone had been home he would have killed them to cover up the burglary. Why are you jealous the other two got off easier. The woman sat in the car and probably only did it because she didnt want her guy to get mad at her. You make me angry. You bringing up Stephen's daughter is so funny. He should lose custody forever. He doesn't deserve a child. He will only be a bad influence on her. Go take a nice pill and try helping honest people.

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#14 Apr 12, 2011
Jessica...you protest too much. There's something you're not telling us.
Like, why would his friends plant a gun when they knew he was a convicted felon..what kind of friend would do that?
You need a new friend, as does Mr. Simmons.
Jessica Morrison

Dover, OH

#15 Apr 13, 2011
Its all in the court docket. And the kind of 'friend' that would plant a gun is one that doesn't want to get caught with it... which makes him not a friend at all, but a person who would do anything to NOT get caught AGAIN. I'm sure I understand your point, as I would if I did not know the entirety of the situation, but trust me, if you knew what I knew, you would protest as well.
Thank God, Mr. McClain and Mr. Simmons will NEVER cross paths again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malvern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Mar 23 zio-bot israeli 5
dentures Mar 23 guest 1
driver friendly ladies (Apr '15) Mar 22 Bobomoon 2
shemale sexting (Dec '12) Mar 6 Canton Democratic... 111
fartfetish (Feb '16) Feb '17 IcallBullShytOnThis 3
will robinson (Jul '12) Jan '17 A James Manchin 2
News Ask Mary Beth - Where to buy reclaimed wood (Jul '08) Sep '16 EAST TROJAN 18

Malvern Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Malvern Mortgages