The Emmaus Soup Kitchen

The Emmaus Soup Kitchen

Posted in the Malone Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
carydaway

New York, NY

#1 Dec 5, 2012
I have participated numerous times with this organization in contributing my time with prep, assisting, and anything in-between. I am sad to hear that after all this time of being part of Malone it is being threatened to be shut down. Not sure the background of the relationship of the church and The Emmaus Soup Kitchen but disappointed after I researched further the letter from the church stating that (and I am paraphrasing) they were no longer interested in the bad stigma that The Emmaus Soup Kitchen was bringing to their congregation. I am not a church goer but how is that being a good Christian? How is that being on behalf of all mankind? How is that showing that humanity and compassion is still present? That does not sound like a church that deserves such a passionate group of VOLUNTEERS nor that remembers what they are practicing in their preaching. Maybe take little more time in reflecting on your reason for being a church and less time on your cheeky sign postings.

I do know that The Emmaus Soup Kitchen will not be closing thanks to John Bosco church!! I do not have all the details but maybe someone has little more information on the how's and wows.

Good luck to you all at The Emmaus Soup Kitchen. You have helped so many with a hot meal, great fellowship, and even passed out the take home items thanks to donations from previously Comlinks and now JCEO.
carydaway

New York, NY

#2 Dec 5, 2012
I could not post the letter here but check out Malone Centenary Methodist Church on Facebook...post on October 15.
sadvolunteer

Hudson, NY

#3 Dec 7, 2012
As referred to above...here is the Facebook post that states the soup kitchen is a stigma in the Community. That is a sad, untrue statement. I have never, ever heard from the 75-120 people we serve on a given week that they feel a stigma to come thru the front door. Many of the patrons that enter the doors each and every week come for a variety of reasons. For many there is a need for a hot, nutritious meal and a bag of groceries that will help sustain them throughout the week. Many come for fellowship and feel a sense of Community within the walls of the Soup Kitchen. They need an ear to listen, seek advice and enjoy conversation with others.

THIS WAS POSTED ON THE MALONE: CENTENARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH PAGE ON October 15
"The needs of the community are rapidly changing when it comes to feeding the hungry. The Community Thanksgiving Dinner is totally revamped this year, no longer able to offer take outs or delivery. Comlinks is closed and no longer offering food stuffs. And because of liabilty issues with our mandated Safe Santuary policy and many other issues, the soup kitchen as we have known it must also change. We appreciate all that the volunteers from Emmaus Soup Kitchen have done, but it is now time for the churches to step up to the plate and tackle feeding the hungry. Therefore, Lifeway Community Church in North Bangor and Centenary United Methodist Church in Malone are joining forces to bring a new and exciting Christian based food ministry to the poor in the greater Malone area.
Beginning on Monday, January 7th, 2013, members from both churches will provide a bag lunch to the needy from 10-noon every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The Christian Soup Kitchen will fill a void in services for the truly hungry who need more life sustaining food then is provided one day a week. This tri weekly lunch will be a drop in option, where folks can just stop by the church and pick up their lunch to take home, lessening the stigma attached to an on-site soup kitchen.
The churches involved feel lead by the verse in St. Matthew 25:35 which states “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.”
It is our prayerful hope that in our own small way, we will fulfill the Gospel and ease the pain of hunger in our community.
There will be no charge whatsoever for the lunches, and no donations will be solicited from those using the service. All costs will be covered by the mission budgets of the two partner churches and staffed by church members who will volunteer their services.
Watch for more information on this expanded outreach to the greater Malone area as the new year approaches".
The Soup Kitchen received a letter that afternoon about being asked to leave. No real details were given as to why we were being asked to leave. It was upsetting that more information was given in the Malone Telegram on October 13th and on the Church's Facebook page on October 15th than was provided to us in the letter...also the chain of events....we were provided a letter after the fact.
The Emmaus Soup Kitchen is still NEEDED and will continue to help the Community like we have for the past 22 years...just in a new location! You can put us out and try to close us down...but our spirit to continue to strong...as long as their is a need in the Community the Emmaus Soup Kitchen Volunteers will strive to provide it!!
I think

New York, NY

#4 Dec 7, 2012
I think the stigma they're talking about is that which the public attaches to the folks who go there for help-the image that the public has of them.(picture the soup kitchens in the depression or those in an urban ghetto) I think they're trying to lessen that stigma yet still provide food. I think they believe this is in the best interest of the people who go to not subject them to the denigration that would follow them. Think of all the positive things that are said about on this site about folks on "welfare." By allowing some folks to get a bag lunch and leave, they allow them to maintain some vestige of dignity. The same concept applies to the backpack program at school. The kids who need it get a backpack of food. Initially, the though was that be putting the food into backpacks, the stigma would be lessened. I'm sure that by now, the backpacks represent something bad, but the intent, though a bit shortsighted, was good. Perhaps the critics would serve the best by helping out, by showing through their active participation that there is should be no stigma attached to hunger or needing help.
carydaway

New York, NY

#6 Dec 7, 2012
I think wrote:
I think the stigma they're talking about is that which the public attaches to the folks who go there for help-the image that the public has of them.(picture the soup kitchens in the depression or those in an urban ghetto) I think they're trying to lessen that stigma yet still provide food. I think they believe this is in the best interest of the people who go to not subject them to the denigration that would follow them. Think of all the positive things that are said about on this site about folks on "welfare." By allowing some folks to get a bag lunch and leave, they allow them to maintain some vestige of dignity. The same concept applies to the backpack program at school. The kids who need it get a backpack of food. Initially, the though was that be putting the food into backpacks, the stigma would be lessened. I'm sure that by now, the backpacks represent something bad, but the intent, though a bit shortsighted, was good. Perhaps the critics would serve the best by helping out, by showing through their active participation that there is should be no stigma attached to hunger or needing help.
Your post represents Malone and North Country accurately. They are stuck in the past first of all. This is a place that has not moved in ages. Also another act that infuriates me is people condemning, making fun of, singling out, or bullying those that go to the soup kitchen or that need resources such as the once Comlinks backpack program. I just once would love to say your only doing that to divert the attention off of you! They are brave to admit they need help with their families!!
carydaway

New York, NY

#7 Dec 7, 2012
Sandra wrote:
I am a person who lives alone and am on a small budget. I go to the Soup Kitchen once or twice a month. I won't say the bag of food don't help out but my main reason for going is the companionship. It is unfortunate that neither will be available.
Many of the people who went there have to walk quite a way to get there. Although the take out lunch is well intended I don't know that it will end up being as effective or useable.
Bag lunch definitely gives you a warm fuzzy doesn't it? Just my opinion but a drive thru's intention is to get the food out quickly and with minimal interaction. Kinda of the same theory?
Question

New York, NY

#8 Dec 8, 2012
carydaway wrote:
<quoted text>
Bag lunch definitely gives you a warm fuzzy doesn't it? Just my opinion but a drive thru's intention is to get the food out quickly and with minimal interaction. Kinda of the same theory?
If the Centenary church is really well-intended - why did they not add their option of a bagged lunch with the already-established soup kitchen. That would further expand a food program to the needy people among our community while still offering them an opportunity for companionship if they want it. Seems to be a "no-brainer" here. Or is it that someone just doesn't want the soup kitchen present at their church? Sounds fishy to me.
Huh

New York, NY

#9 Dec 8, 2012
COMLINKS... this is what happens when you live in a scam town run by criminals. Isn't it, Nancy?

We now have a services void that taxes everything and everyone else. Nice, huh?

Sometimes I think Malone gets exactly what it deserves.

And church charities are all well and good. But in any situation where that is the only game in town, we have the most vulnerable among us at the mercy of a bunch of kooks. Where on earth is the county? Is it so impossible to skim and scam, while acting in a way that is duplicated in every reasonable social services agency in this state?

But hey... keep voting for these criminals.
Huh

New York, NY

#10 Dec 8, 2012
And Facebook is STILL a marketing scheme. Anyone who uses it needs their head examined.
Huh

New York, NY

#11 Dec 8, 2012
And it's SO christian to get the post of someone who wants information to make a donation deleted, in a thread like this. You people are CRAZY and you SUCK.

There is NO hope here whatsoever. Not when there are people like this running around loose.

No problem... I don't need a soup kitchen. SCREW the rest of you.

Happy Holidays!
I think

New York, NY

#12 Dec 8, 2012
What are you talking about Huh? When a post is deleted, there is a break in the post numbers. There is no break in this thread. So, there was no post deleted.
say what

New York, NY

#13 Dec 8, 2012
Huh wrote:
Is it so impossible to skim and scam, while acting in a way that is duplicated in every reasonable social services agency in this state?
what?
carydaway

United States

#14 Dec 8, 2012
Question wrote:
<quoted text>If the Centenary church is really well-intended - why did they not add their option of a bagged lunch with the already-established soup kitchen. That would further expand a food program to the needy people among our community while still offering them an opportunity for companionship if they want it. Seems to be a "no-brainer" here. Or is it that someone just doesn't want the soup kitchen present at their church? Sounds fishy to me.
I completely concur on your thoughts.
carydaway

United States

#15 Dec 8, 2012
Huh wrote:
And it's SO christian to get the post of someone who wants information to make a donation deleted, in a thread like this. You people are CRAZY and you SUCK.

There is NO hope here whatsoever. Not when there are people like this running around loose.

No problem... I don't need a soup kitchen. SCREW the rest of you.

Happy Holidays!
Um what? Are you claiming someone posted inquiring about making a donation and the post was deleted? And whom are you accusing of that?

You do not need the soup kitchen? Good for you not being in the spot financially that you need help. If you chose not to participate, so be it.

Good luck to you and good day.
I think

New York, NY

#17 Dec 8, 2012
I just briefly researched the UMC Safe Sanctuary policy. It involves protection of children from abuse. What does it have to do with the Soup Kitchen? And "Question's" question is a very good one. Thanks!
posthopper

New York, NY

#18 Dec 8, 2012
In general the folks in town seems to be much more understanding of the situation than your posts and valiant efforts to drum up gossip and negativity would attest to. Most of us know the church had difficulties with the soup kitchens board of directors for many years. Difficulties heard for years included lack of cooperation with the church who were interested in better food storage and serving safety, the desire for voluntary prayer participation before the meal,(after all it is a church) fewer complaints about impolite directives to participants, etc. From what I had heard form soup kitchen staff and board, they seemed to take the approach they have to answer to no one, and if anyone dares complain they will run them down in the newspaper, radio etc. after about twenty years of providing the soup kitchen a home, you would think they would be somewhat appreciative rather than arrogant. You would also think someone would say, well it was great they let us use their facility for twenty years with no rent charged. OK, Centenary church did their job for 20 years, now it's someone elses turn. Thanks Centenary for those years and good luck with all your other projects in town helping the disadvantaged. And good luck to the soup kitchen. May you learn a little gratitude for what is provided, cooperate a bit, and continue to serve the disadvantaged.
carydaway wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely concur on your thoughts.
Huh

New York, NY

#19 Dec 9, 2012
EXACTLY why social services need to be administered SECULARLY, by SOCIAL SERVICES.

That is crazy enough without piling all of the other baggage on top of it.
Huh

New York, NY

#20 Dec 9, 2012
Crazy 'moderators'(rich, I know, they don't seem to be moderate about much of anything. They especially hate open discussion) can do whatever they want to this forum. TOPIX has NO shortage of those.

This particular board has plenty of local, home grown fascists, posing as 'moderators'. Enough to sink the content, in fact. TOPIX really needs to sort that out. Or there won't be anything left.

TOPIX is actually a division of Gannett Newspapers. These people are noted for their yellow journalism, in the best case. TOPIX has no regard for any principals of any kind, except for the furtherance of their own preferred propaganda. This especially surfaces in areas of politics and religion, among people who are batshit insane to begin with. This a whole lot of things but it sure as hell isn't discussion. Still, I'd think Gannett would be a bit more sensitive regarding their brand. Instead they've taken the Daily Post/ Politico route. And good luck to them with that. Welcome to the nonsense bubble.

Whoever started this thread is apparently incapable of posting anything but gobbledegook. Perhaps it's meaningful to other members of whatever cult, but I asked for further information. Information that did NOT involve FACEBOOK. Which is STILL a deceitful, invasive, privacy- violating- regardless- of- anything- they- say, MARKETING SCHEME.

So, yeah... I was interested in making a donation to a charity. I don't usually donate to churches... and this is the reason why. Now, screw 'em. Like I said, I don't need it.
I think

New York, NY

#21 Dec 9, 2012
Beg to differ Huh. Even if a moderator deletes a post, a break in the numbering occurs. No break, no deletion.
And, I don't believe YOU would make a donation to a charity that you've said is run by "a bunch of kooks." You've very clearly stated your disdain for all things Malone and religious. Why did this suddenly become an exception?
wow

Hudson, NY

#22 Dec 9, 2012
posthopper wrote:
In general the folks in town seems to be much more understanding of the situation than your posts and valiant efforts to drum up gossip and negativity would attest to. Most of us know the church had difficulties with the soup kitchens board of directors for many years. Difficulties heard for years included lack of cooperation with the church who were interested in better food storage and serving safety, the desire for voluntary prayer participation before the meal,(after all it is a church) fewer complaints about impolite directives to participants, etc. From what I had heard form soup kitchen staff and board, they seemed to take the approach they have to answer to no one, and if anyone dares complain they will run them down in the newspaper, radio etc. after about twenty years of providing the soup kitchen a home, you would think they would be somewhat appreciative rather than arrogant. You would also think someone would say, well it was great they let us use their facility for twenty years with no rent charged. OK, Centenary church did their job for 20 years, now it's someone elses turn. Thanks Centenary for those years and good luck with all your other projects in town helping the disadvantaged. And good luck to the soup kitchen. May you learn a little gratitude for what is provided, cooperate a bit, and continue to serve the disadvantaged.
<quoted text>
hmmm...while your post is enlightening it is not completely true! Please don't post that the Soup Kitchen has not been gracious and appreciative...because that post is simply untrue. Arrogant is completely not true. The Soup Kitchen originated in that church 22 years ago...over the years there has been various "rent" terms. In the past a monthly payment was made to the church, years later it turned into paying utilities, garbage removal, repairs, etc. Stating that the Soup Kitchen free loads on the church is simply a lie. Yes with any organization there is friction between individuals. There is a lot of different personalities and some difficult people to deal with. Anytime there has been concerns from the church the Soup Kitchen has done their very best to address the concerns in an amicable way. The church community has not been innocent in some cases with rude comments and notes left. Is the Soup Kitchen grateful for their time at Centenary Church...the answer is YES! Are the volunteers and patrons happy with being asked to leave...the answer is NO! Are we trying to drum up drama and gossip here....No! However, the manner in which everything transpired was not handled appropriately...the answer absolutely NO! Having to read about everything in the newspaper and on Facebook before even having the common courtesy to speak to those in charge or be provided with adequate documentation...is flat out horrible. Hearing about being asked to leave by a former patron of the church who lives out of town before being approached is wrong. Regardless if everyone gets along from the Soup Kitchen and the Church...common courtesy and human decency would have been nice. Being ignored and treated poorly since everything transpired and bad mouthing all over town to other places that might take us in is wrong! Here nor there...assuming that we will cease to exist once we are no longer housed at Centenary is also wrong! Maybe well wishes to the Soup Kitchen is also necessary...you may not like some of the people involved, but wanting a needed Community program to succeed is being a good human being. Maybe if the lines of communication would have been more open rather than sending a letter to the Soup Kitchen and then hiding so you don't have to face the volunteers....I mean really...we are all adults here. You are not all innocent of some wrong doing!! If you have done nothing wrong then why would you be afraid of news coverage...you can not say one thing and do another!
We all want to help the disadvantaged...isn't there room for all programs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pig /rat 58 min Omfg 5
malone da's office under investigation by fbi 7 hr Newyork 41
Garbage removal 7 hr Kaykay 5
Northern 10 hr realnice 7
Looking for an intelligent answer 12 hr bad boss 9
amusement park in malone 12 hr Wait a min 26
Mandi marine costco 18 hr justwondrin 11

Malone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Malone Mortgages