Huh

New York, NY

#1 Feb 27, 2013
Press-Republican
February 27, 2013
Price Chopper fined for misleading advertising

--
Press-Republican

----— TROY (AP)— Price Chopper has agreed to begin advertising its coupons accurately and will pay a $100,000 fine for having failed to do so.

The supermarket chain, which operates 79 locations statewide, was investigated by the office of Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman after complaints from consumers who uncovered undisclosed restrictions on their coupons when they were attempting to use of them.

The investigation found the Price Chopper corporation was advertising that it would double coupons at all of its locations; however, the company had restricted the doubling to 99 cents without disclosing the change.

Consumers were led to believe that $1 coupons could be doubled when, in fact, they could not, per corporate policy, the Attorney General’s Office said.

Prior to the policy, Price Chopper’s double-coupon policies had varied from store to store.

The company actively seeks to bring shoppers to their stores through coupons that allow them to save on groceries.

In April and May 2012, Price Chopper shoppers redeemed $34,616,602 in coupons valued at 99 cents or more; approximately 8 million of those were for a dollar or more.

“In the current economy, it is more important than ever that consumers be presented with clear information about the terms and conditions of coupons and other sale offers,” Schneiderman said in a statement.“Price Chopper used deceptive business practices to mislead price-conscious consumers and extract hard-earned money from them by hindering their ability to shop competitively and save on groceries.”

Under the agreement, Price Chopper will have to “clearly and conspicuously disclose any face value limits on coupon redemption,” according to the release, in addition to $100,000 in civil penalties and costs to the state.
Huh

New York, NY

#2 Feb 27, 2013
Hopefully they'll take this to heart, and we'll see a bit more truth in advertising all the way around.

We really need a Hannaford here. Local competition (a whole lot of people will NOT eat out of Walmart) would be as good for this place as it would be at the gas pump.
Huh

New York, NY

#3 Feb 27, 2013
Beyond this, you know what kills me? Shrinking packages. The design is an illusion, meant to deceive; people just going by quickly and grabbing the item is not typically going to notice that the big can of coffee now has 15(?) fewer ounces than it used to, for the same price.

What we REALLY need here is a decent health food co- op.

Right.
welllsay

New York, NY

#4 Feb 27, 2013
I never really liked price chopper anyhow.
Prices way to high . I go there only for the sales.
I like Yandos they have what they advertize and like an IGA we had years ago.
Huh

New York, NY

#5 Feb 27, 2013
Yandos is great. I know... an IGA would go over pretty well here, too.

I suppose we're never going to get less than 100 miles from a COSTCO.

A co-op might not be a bad idea. I wonder if there would be any interest here?
ocBcause

United States

#7 Jun 4, 2013
Pay attention to your gas savings alot. of what your spending is not linked to your gas points another scam....they keep cutting their help so expect customer service to go down

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County in hard financial times 1 hr Monty 9
Rape in our area is over 300% the national average (Sep '12) 5 hr wow 26
If your girl wishs she could work in a sex shop... 9 hr I know this pig 6
Recent visit to D&M Market 9 hr facts please 14
meagan skumbag williams 11 hr Just saying 2
Game cave 11 hr Wondering 1
Lisa trombley 22 hr Milf 1

Malone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance