Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2011

Judged:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/s...

Yeah...

And can someone please tell me why the new Border Patrol Station on the east side of town looks so much like a gulag??? Why all the razor wire? Is all that really necessary, or simply more self- justifying drama? It looks like a prisoner of war camp.

I, for one, would love to go back to the days when the northern border was reasonably open. It was wonderful when people on both sides could freely move back and forth.

I understand that some drugs have been apprehended. Has a single terrorist ever been caught crossing the northern border? I can't recall one. Do we really need any of this, here???

It seems that as a nation we now have the mechanisms in place to deal with whatever threats we must, without compromising the culture and infringing on the basic civil rights of a whole population that just happens to live along the border. And those threats have certainly diminished. Maybe it's time to rethink some of this. Maybe the funds that are going into the great northern border army could be better used funding industry around here, that would put a whole lot more people to work.
Almost Me

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2011

Judged:

Yup you make it sound like the border patrol and customs officers do not live here and spend their pay here. They do. And the construction crew that erected the new station, worked here and spent money here. This area will continue to benefit from the officers who live and work here.

Aren't you always making negative remarks about shady people who come here and stay? The human trafficking across the northern border is huge. It is still easier to bring drugs across the northern boarder. In fact, some central american and south american cartels ship their drugs to Canada to insure they get into the US.

I don't mind the extra time it takes to cross the border in order to keep out criminal elements and I certainly don't mind the money that the customs and border patrol officers spend in northern NY
dont like u

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2011

Judged:

franklin county has become Derek Champagne's police state. He is always in the media inflating the statisics about border crime in Franklin co. so the federal govt keeps funneling money into law enforcement here. It is a fact that law enforcement is the only industry here that is showing growth as far as employment is concerned. Why would companies from elsewhere want to invest money in a county that supposedly has so much crime? They wont. Thats how the powers that be prevent any new money from starting up here.
Almost Me

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2011

Judged:

dont like u wrote:
franklin county has become Derek Champagne's police state. He is always in the media inflating the statisics about border crime in Franklin co. so the federal govt keeps funneling money into law enforcement here. It is a fact that law enforcement is the only industry here that is showing growth as far as employment is concerned. Why would companies from elsewhere want to invest money in a county that supposedly has so much crime? They wont. Thats how the powers that be prevent any new money from starting up here.
I see it differently. Law enforcement is a major industry in Franklin County because of the border and the prisons. That brings outside money into the county which is spent here and employs people in other businesses. If the feds want to pour money and jobs in, I say let them come. I don't think the crime statistics are inflated. There is a good deal of crime in this area due to border issues and the high unemployment and social service families. Companies are not put off by the crime statistics. They are put off by the lack of trained employees and the high costs of transportation. This isn't south america where people are kidnapped as they drive down the road. It all goes back to the lack of suitable employees. The powers to be don't tell you to drop out of school or finish high school with no skills that will help you be employed. There should be a little less focus on what others do to us and more of an emphasis on what each one of us needs to do for ourselves.
Yup

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

When you talk about the financial benefit you are talking about the financial benefit to the very few. Specifically, the financial benefit to the members of the Chamber of Commerce. That is NEVER about the people living here, in fact, to gain that miniscule benefit the civil rights of the people living here have been compromised greatly by the resulting police state. What's that worth? This is a prime example of how the needs and actions of the Chamber of Commerce directly oppose the needs of the people.

No matter... it's looking more and more all the time like we're heading for a real scaling back. And then what do we have? Another razor wire prison? Please. Whoever is looking at stimulating the local economy with incarceration and police harassment really needs to learn another, far more universally beneficial, tune.
Yup

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

And if there were any benefit whatsoever in keeping out crime there might be some advantage. We live with a police state outside the village and the keystone cops inside, doing their private security number and letting anything stemming from a Monette owned business slide. It's the absolutely worst of both worlds. Of course. The "powers" were never much on well thought out actions around here. It's a whim and a fling. Always.

If the police state is so effective why on earth do village residents have to live with heroin traffic? With prostitution? Oh wait, these are some of the bad habits of border patrol officers and prison guards... well, it's NOT acceptable. I applaud NPR for covering this story and I hope the justice department picks it up and runs with it. Since we have the crime anyway to hell with the police state.
dont like u

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

i agree
Deaths head revisited

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

USA! Home of the willingly enslaved.
yuppers

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

YUP lives on Clay St. in Malone.
Morning in Malone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

We all know who Yup is. Mr. Piled High and Deep (PhD) himself.
Almost Me

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

Yup wrote:
And if there were any benefit whatsoever in keeping out crime there might be some advantage. We live with a police state outside the village and the keystone cops inside, doing their private security number and letting anything stemming from a Monette owned business slide. It's the absolutely worst of both worlds. Of course. The "powers" were never much on well thought out actions around here. It's a whim and a fling. Always.
If the police state is so effective why on earth do village residents have to live with heroin traffic? With prostitution? Oh wait, these are some of the bad habits of border patrol officers and prison guards... well, it's NOT acceptable. I applaud NPR for covering this story and I hope the justice department picks it up and runs with it. Since we have the crime anyway to hell with the police state.
Ignorant ant Arrogant! You have no clue on the real world. Ignorant and Arrogant!!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

Listen,, if they are breaking the Law or over stepping the law,,, then we have a Duty to stop their overreaching of authority.

As a US Citizen I will no longer comply with their check points. Why because As a US citizen I don't have too.
Morning in Malone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

LOL...yeah right. You try that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

I will with a video recorder and a tape recorder.

When they ask me were I am going i will give them a copy of the interview and tell them "your boss said i don't have to answer you."

http://www.aclu.org/

http://www.aclu.org/affiliate/new-york

"the border patrol takes the position that citizen should be able to feel freely to say,Ď I donít want to answer that question,í or to just ignore it."

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/s...

So I am gonna give it a try. I suggest others also try it.
hmm

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Yup wrote:
When you talk about the financial benefit you are talking about the financial benefit to the very few. Specifically, the financial benefit to the members of the Chamber of Commerce. That is NEVER about the people living here, in fact, to gain that miniscule benefit the civil rights of the people living here have been compromised greatly by the resulting police state. What's that worth? This is a prime example of how the needs and actions of the Chamber of Commerce directly oppose the needs of the people.
No matter... it's looking more and more all the time like we're heading for a real scaling back. And then what do we have? Another razor wire prison? Please. Whoever is looking at stimulating the local economy with incarceration and police harassment really needs to learn another, far more universally beneficial, tune.
Yup-(not fake Yup from Ogdensburg) Just curious what your beef is with the Chamber of Commerce. You seem to mention it a lot.
nope

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

She feels Monette's owns it and deep thinker and analyst that she is, she is unwaveringly opposed to anything Monette. No prejudice at all in that little brain, nosirreebob
Momof2

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

Thank you for the information Lucas T Marshall. I definitely agree but what can someone really do? Last winter I was followed for about 5 miles by the Border Patrol, up my driveway and they stopped almost on my bumper in front of my house. There were 2 of them in the car and they scared me and my 2 kids half to death. They could obviously see that it was only me and my kids at that point but they asked me who was in my car and where I had been. My house is semi secluded and I felt very threatened so I answered the questions. Too bad I didn't even think about reporting them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Judged:

You didn't think to report them because you thought they were operating within the law...

It's like the fact that any person who is on a jury,
Has the right to judge the law as well as the crime.
interesting

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

Judged:

Lucas T Marshall wrote:
You didn't think to report them because you thought they were operating within the law...
It's like the fact that any person who is on a jury,
Has the right to judge the law as well as the crime.
You are an idiot. Please, please follow through on what you say. I think it will be funny.
interesting

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

I am the idiot. Please, please let me look into things before I type dumb stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of77
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Malone Forum right now

Search the Malone Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Malone woman fined for shoplifting incident at ... 22 min Rhodes Scholar Meg 15
hastings strawberry stand 1 hr interesting 20
Wal-Mart toilet paper 1 hr interesting 11
Greenhouse use to grow pot. 2 hr facts 16
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr C No Evil 6,320
Melisa Leaf 5 hr Who cares 7
political censorship on this site 6 hr herewego 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Malone Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Malone People Search