Consequences

New York, NY

#1 Mar 19, 2013
Press-Republican
March 19, 2013
Job losses part of Village of Malone budget

By DENISE A. RAYMO
Press-Republican

----— MALONE — Some village employees are losing their jobs June 1.

But the Village Board won’t say how many, who they are, how much the layoffs could save or if the losses are temporary or permanent.

“There will be a workforce reduction in the Village of Malone,” said Mayor Todd LePine following a 30-minute executive session during a special Village Board meeting on Monday called to unveil the tentative 2013-14 budget.

“This was an extremely hard decision,” he said.

NO DETAILS YET

Board members said they wanted to speak to impacted employees before releasing the information to the media and declined to give details because they said they just don’t have them yet.

Trustee Joe Riccio did say the cuts are “across the board.”

BENEFITS COSTLY

LePine said that, by the end of the week, more details can be released about the job losses, which are being blamed on the escalating costs of providing retirement and health-insurance coverage to active and past employees.

Five-year projections using the best figures available to Village Treasurer Dorothy Maguire indicate the combined cost of state and police retirement for the village could go from $333,500 in 2013-14 to more than $490,000 by 2017-18.

And health-insurance costs could reach more than $1.1 million within the next five years.

“You have the numbers. That’s what’s driving all of this — health and retirement benefits,” Trustee Michael Maneely said.

LEVY UP 2%

The tentative budget is $7,162,003, an increase of 2.06 percent from this year.

The tax levy, or amount to be raised by taxes, is $3,049,994, an increase of 2 percent.

The tax rate per $1,000 of assessed-property value is $19.87 compared to $19.44 this year.

A property in the village valued at $100,000 would see a tax increase of $42.68.

The budget includes the contracted 2 percent raise for the Village Police Department.

Sewer and water rates remain the same in the tentative budget,“but that can be revisited,” Maguire said.

NEW PLOW TRUCK

The taxable limit, which is the constitutional maximum a community can levy against its real property, is 74 percent, compared to 68.44 percent from 2012-13, an increase of 5.59 percent.

The State Comptroller’s Office deems a community with a rating of 80 percent in the financial caution zone and those above 90 percent in the danger zone.

Other items included in the tentative budget are two new computers, a new $93,000 plow truck, a $12,000 stainless-steel sander, a more-efficient fuel-oil tank, one streetlight, trees, a lawn mower, small power tools and new fencing among others.

FUND BALANCE

Maguire applied about $193,000 in unused general-fund balance to the budget and plans to move a combined $600,000 into water- and sewer-improvement reserves.

The Village Board has until March 31 to make any changes to the spending package before it is made available to the public on April 1.

A public hearing will be held at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 8, at the Village Offices on Elm Street, and the board is expected to adopt the budget at its April 22 meeting.

Email Denise A. Raymo:draymo@Pressrepublican.c om
Consequences

New York, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2013
Isn't sequester/ austerity WONDERFUL?

Are we having fun YET?

If there is still justice left in the world, the axe will fall heaviest and hardest on that pitiful excuse for a police department, that, more than any other pertinent factor, prevented a reasonable, systemic shut- down and consolidation of redundant layers of local government here.

So... just like COMLINKS, the Village of Malone will suffer a death from a thousand cuts.

That's one way to put some of the party hacks out of business, I guess.
NRA FOREVER

Derby, CT

#4 Mar 19, 2013
Told ya so. But the voters chose this route. Have fun!
Consequences

New York, NY

#5 Mar 19, 2013
The voters were manipulated into voting as they did through a well timed campaign of fear mongering.

Malone Village voters are mostly dimwits.

That said, we need to look past that to those who did the manipulating.

And let the chips fall where they may.

We could have gotten a tax cut and maintained the current level of services. But yeah, we'd be down an entire government of elected parasites. And we can't have THAT, now.

So, yeah. Since they're involving themselves inordinately in our politics and all, axe a couple more cops. All they do is run public security for businesses, anyway. Let the businesses hire their own security if they want it. Private security might actually not let things go on like dead bodies rotting in parking lots for days and days. So we'd certainly be no worse off in the long run, would we?
Consequences

New York, NY

#8 Mar 20, 2013
Or just tweaking.

Unfortunately that goes with the LIFE.

Pitiful, isn't it?
answer

New York, NY

#11 Mar 20, 2013
One big answer to the problem is start taxing tax exempt properties or having them pony up some kind of PILOT for the services they get for free. One of the biggest tax exempt areas is the Franklin County Fair grounds. Check it out at the court house. We did. It's tax exempt. This is a big chunk of property that if developed properly could bring is significant tax money. It sits there all year long and pays nothing to the tax rolls. The time has come to put it somewhere else and open that area up to something that pays taxes. I'm sure the county has plenty of land available for the grounds.
right

New York, NY

#12 Mar 20, 2013
Logical wrote:
Seven out of eight posts all done by the same DUMMY....AND STILL NO ONE AGREES!
You would think he could get at least a few of his pals at the psyche center to agree with him when it is THEIR turn to use the computer!!!!!
heh heh heh !!!!!
Yeah, like you post anything worth reading. Go get your rocks off elsewhere. No one cares what you think anymore.
Go find that dog you were blowing the other night.
Not From This Side

New York, NY

#13 Mar 20, 2013
answer wrote:
One big answer to the problem is start taxing tax exempt properties or having them pony up some kind of PILOT for the services they get for free. One of the biggest tax exempt areas is the Franklin County Fair grounds. Check it out at the court house. We did. It's tax exempt. This is a big chunk of property that if developed properly could bring is significant tax money. It sits there all year long and pays nothing to the tax rolls. The time has come to put it somewhere else and open that area up to something that pays taxes. I'm sure the county has plenty of land available for the grounds.
While not a bad idea, I got to tell you that a good deal of research has been done by a number of people I know and there is no way to collect from the tax exempt properties unless those who own/ manage them choose to make a change.

For instance, a change that would work for the fairgrounds is to move them out of the village while maintaining their proximity to the village. But only the county and fair board can make this change. The question is what sort of pressure would it take to make them willing to move on this change??
Consequences

New York, NY

#14 Mar 21, 2013
How about if the Village Board required the Fair Board to actually pick up the costs of the events they stage there?

There is NO security in the neighborhoods around the fairgrounds during events, where people come in from miles around and park. They're excited or all hopped up or something, whatever it is, most of them have no concept whatsoever that people LIVE where they're parking and littering and traipsing through as if they were walking a barnyard or something. No. Much worse; I'm sure they don't treat their own homes that way.

If the Agricultural Society were made to pick up the actual costs of these events surely they would find it far more profitable to stage it in a more rural area. The village has serious money issues... how about charging a permit fee for the fair? For individual vendors? SOMETHING to recoup the costs. Local businesses might make money on this thing but for the vast majority of the rest of us it's a gigantic pain in the ass.
itseverywhere

New York, NY

#18 Mar 25, 2013
Got the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
And unfortunately, you can't do anything about them. If they're registered as a non-for-profit, they not only don't pay taxes, but they don't pay fees. They get the same water and fire protection for free that everyone else pays for. 50% of the Village is comprised of them!!!!
Tax Exempt properties DO pay water and sewer fees...they are exempt only from property tax.
Consequences

New York, NY

#20 Mar 25, 2013
It's COMLINKS all over again, and this village, this ridiculous money grabbing source of overblown ego fodder, WILL die a death of a thousand cuts.

And when it finally does go bankrupt and into receivership? The voters are going to have no say whatsoever as to how any of that gets resolved. At least we have that to look forward to.

There are some who are going to milk it out for everything they can possibly get, all the way down. What a surprise there. They take the term 'public servant' to a new level of irony, don't they?

Oh well. It's going to cost us plenty, but at least it's always good for a laugh.
Run for office

New York, NY

#21 Mar 25, 2013
May I suggest that those so irate about the dissolution vote run for office next time. That way you can be sure your voices will be heard and you will be able to implement the changes you feel are necessary. Would that be more intelligent and effective than anonymously typing on a blog?
Sore Losers

New York, NY

#22 Mar 25, 2013
Run for office wrote:
May I suggest that those so irate about the dissolution vote run for office next time. That way you can be sure your voices will be heard and you will be able to implement the changes you feel are necessary. Would that be more intelligent and effective than anonymously typing on a blog?
Perhaps they already tried that....and lost......and can't get over themselves! Sore losers.
Consequences

New York, NY

#24 Mar 26, 2013
The ONLY thing produced by corruption IS corruption.

WTF is it that trolls, etc, think they own other people's talent? Just because it's there, that doesn't mean ANYONE else has the right to direct that EXCEPT the person with the talent.

SLAVERY is OVER.

What about that is so freaking difficult for you people to understand???

You are NOT worth the effort.

ESPECIALLY when it involves playing little corruption games with imbeciles.

But that's going to sort itself out soon enough.
Not From This Side

New York, NY

#25 Mar 26, 2013
I'm not sure that anything you wrote (Consequences) is understandable given the topic.

I do find your last statement interesting.
"But that's going to sort itself out soon enough."

Care to explain what is going to sort itself out and when soon enough is??
NRA FOREVER

Troy, NY

#26 Mar 26, 2013
Hugh Hill tried to tell people back in September. But certain village officials other than Hill went on a scare campaign to make sure the village govt stayed in tact.

Now, this is what they get. The legacy costs of pensions and benefits for retirees are going to force the village workforce to make drastic cuts.

Obviously, the better route was dissolution but too many old folks were worried about who would pick up their leaf piles in the fall.
Not From This Side

New York, NY

#27 Mar 26, 2013
NRA FOREVER wrote:
Hugh Hill tried to tell people back in September. But certain village officials other than Hill went on a scare campaign to make sure the village govt stayed in tact.
Now, this is what they get. The legacy costs of pensions and benefits for retirees are going to force the village workforce to make drastic cuts.
Obviously, the better route was dissolution but too many old folks were worried about who would pick up their leaf piles in the fall.
Hugh did point this our but no one paid attention and the Prince and his buddy tried covering it up and now they want to hold everyone hostage.

Does anyone know how much the village treasurer makes?
Run for office

New York, NY

#29 Mar 26, 2013
Nor do I understand what you're saying Consequences.

I'm not directing you to do anything, nor do I feel I own anything of yours (I don't understand where any of that outburst came from). I'm simply asking why those of you who are so clearly concerned about the direction the Village is taking don't take an active roll in trying to correct the wrongs.

I guess I think of the patriots in the 1700's. If they had waited for others to take action, we would still be saluting the Union Jack. Instead, they took the initiative, put themselves on the line, and acted. I'm not demanding or even suggesting that you (and others) should, but I'm confused about why you (and others) don't. You all are obviously very passionate about the Village and what you think need to be done.

I also am intrigued by "that's going to sort itself out soon enough." Could you please elucidate?

Before you start demeaning me, calling me a troll, or accusing of all the things you accuse anyone who questions you (as you constantly do), this thread is the first I've ever posted in. I'm here because I care deeply about this Village, and it's direction concerns me greatly. I have actively contributed when I felt there were actions I thought I could lend some help to.

I firmly believe that if all of us who care about Malone contributed as much to its improvement as many of you do to running it down in this blog, it would be a much improved village. But it seems the most vocal are the least inclined to help. Why is that? Seriously, why is that. Doesn't the co=chronic criticism get wearisome? Wouldn't it be much more satisfying to actually do something about the problems instead of simply moving your fingers?

Again, I'm not demanding, directing, telling, or asking you to do anything. I'm simply asking why you don't. Remember JFK, "ask not.?"
Consequences

New York, NY

#31 Mar 28, 2013
Unbelievable.

The sophist craziness just goes on, and on, and on, constantly repeating, in some twisted Rovian approximation of hell. How's that go? You lie and make ridiculous assumptions, and repeat them endlessly until stupid people accept your garbage as fact? That stuff might have worked marginally in 2004, when people were still naive enough to expect some level of honesty from those in public life, but now we know better.

YOU DO NOT GET TO ORDER ANYONE ELSE'S FREAKING LIFE! How can that possibly be clarified any more for you??? Are you REALLY that dense??? YOU want somebody to run for office? Do it your damned self.

Although that's not really the point, is it? You are only out to diminish and deconstruct and dissuade. In true sophist destruction mode you are only out to muddy the discussion and to distract from the actual topic. You can't actually make a positive, sensible contribution to discussion on the topic, so you try to blow it up.

Well too bad. We're on to you and you will never be able to pull that garbage off again.

YOU don't need to worry about ME. To begin with, you don't even know me and you really don't have the goddamned right. Just for your information, because for some reason out there in busybody land you think you need to know? I'm just FINE where I am. And, apparently I'm having some positive effect or you wouldn't be so persistent in your constant, nasty, repetitive attacks.

DO NOT expect me to get into this with you. I don't give a damn what you think, or especially what you think I need to do.

Is that clear enough for you? If not, I DON'T CARE! Go to freaking the library, and ask for some remedial reading assistance. I'm sure there's someone there who can help you far more than I have any inclination to.
Consequences

New York, NY

#33 Mar 28, 2013
Hopefully they don't think they've taken care of that with the barricades.

Something horrible is going to happen, and people will flip out over what their tax dollars haven't been buying for them.

And then the local fools will blame the state, and keep on riding the Village down until the Good Ship Malone finally sinks, with them on it.

That'll look good on their resumes.

And no doubt... consolidation would involve compromise and accommodation. I don't see that happening. Anything happening in that direction will come from financial necessity or state mandate.

In time they will be replaced by a state appointed receiver, once the village finally goes bankrupt. Debts and assets will be totaled, decisions will be made without local input, and that will be that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the blackout bar and grill blowout 3 min stupidity 9
Beth B 23 min Truth 4
Brushton meat shop owner charged with misuse of... 30 min Just sayin 16
Titus Mountain (Oct '09) 1 hr simple 44
Scott smith 1 hr lake Titus resident 20
joe norton 1 hr Hillarious 26
Malone Central doesn'r even delay 1 hr parent 73
Malone Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web