Price Control in Monetteville

Posted in the Malone Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
They Dont Care

East Greenbush, NY

#1 Apr 8, 2013
Drove to Massena on Sat. 4/6/13 Gasoline in Westville was $3.75 and in Ft Covington $3.59 in Monettville $3.91 - is it a joke what the price controls in Monetteville are?? THe lady in Westville, said that the price at her station dropped .20 cents in one Week and they lowered it from $3.95 to $3.75. In Monetteville the price went from $3.97 to $3.91..why are the people who live in Monetteville forced to pay those prices?? They don't care just so long as they make more money.
more than one

New York, NY

#2 Apr 8, 2013
why is it monetteville? what about stewarts, sunoco, maplefields, and arnolds? how does monettes control prices-no one has ever explained that. ft cov is competeing against native prices and jacks all their in store prices (beer, milk). you saw the w'ville price wrong-its 3.95

Since: Sep 08

Woodbridge, VA

#3 Apr 8, 2013
more than one wrote:
why is it monetteville? what about stewarts, sunoco, maplefields, and arnolds? how does monettes control prices-no one has ever explained that. ft cov is competeing against native prices and jacks all their in store prices (beer, milk). you saw the w'ville price wrong-its 3.95
If thy lower their too much, mos will undercut them till thy go away.

xd
Absolutely

New York, NY

#4 Apr 8, 2013
You are absolutely right, they DON'T care.

Anytime you hear someone carrying on about all the jobs they create, and everything they do for the community, just know that it's probably a relative or employee, and that no amount of window dressing balances out the ongoing gouge and worker exploitation that's going on here. If it weren't for the local clique there would be competing businesses here and local people would see far more reasonable prices in every area now being choked out.

We need a real District Attorney, who could investigate and prosecute not only the price fixing, but the elections manipulation going on behind it that props it up.

There are enough alternatives around that we can slow the gouge down. Go out of town. The reservation isn't that far to gas up, or just plan ahead if possible and buy gas out of town like I do. Use non- MoBozo sources for heating fuel. Better yet, go green. They don't seem to want anything to do with that (of course not, it's good and it's clean). Don't go to their restaurants, don't use their other businesses. If enough people do that there will be enough of a decline in the revenue stream to perhaps prompt a rethinking of values.

Or maybe not.

Still, if enough more reasonably prices outlets out of town see increased business from Malone people, they'll be encouraged enough to set up shop here and provide a bit of competition. I notice that Volare in Potsdam has begun using billing address zip codes to verify cards used at the pump; they could use any number of things for that. Perhaps there is a Volare in Malone's future.

We need to do everything we can here to tear down Monettesville and encourage a significantly more diversified economy, complete with healthy competition.
more than one

New York, NY

#5 Apr 8, 2013
xdrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
xd
so what's your point? isn't that called capitalism?
Absolutely

New York, NY

#6 Apr 8, 2013
xdrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
xd
The more entrenched they get the harder it will be to get rid of them. As it is they're dug in like ticks. Something should have been done a long time ago to foster competition, rather than just the opposite.
Allan

New York, NY

#7 Apr 8, 2013
"We need to do everything we can here to tear down Monettesville and encourage a significantly more diversified economy, complete with healthy competition. "

what wil you do with all the unemployed people you make ?
hmmmburgers

New York, NY

#8 Apr 8, 2013
The Price at Shat's is $3.75 for gas you moron, i was there yesterday.
NRA FOREVER

Cohoes, NY

#9 Apr 8, 2013
The first station to raise their prices - every time - is Maplefields.

No need to bash one set of stores, they are all in on it together. Wake up.
withketchup

New York, NY

#10 Apr 8, 2013
and I just drove by-it's still $3.75. But, no one has yet to explain how monette's is controlling stewarts or all the other stations-they all charge the same. maybe stewarts is controlling the prices, or maybe it's the market.
Monet enployed

Alexandria, VA

#11 Apr 8, 2013
They are awesome ppl I work for them they base gas prices on sunoco and Stewart's don't hate cause they make money and you don't they are great to employees and support us
No Name

Albany, NY

#12 Apr 8, 2013
The Monette's have had discussions with Stewards's , Maplefields and SUnoco. I know a person who was privy to some of the conversations and its has to do do with distance you have to travel and population density of the area.
I do not fully understand how it operates but they all have agreed not to try to undercut each other and they have found out that if they stay at a calculated price difference from outlying areas, they all sell lots of gas at a good profit. They monitor sales closely and watch prices on the rez etc.. when they see a slip in sales here, which is rare because most people will not drive too far to get gas, they adjust prices.. It used to be 10 or 15 cents difference, lately they are pushing the envelope to see if people will tolerate up to 20 to 30 cents difference. AS LONG AS THEY SEll a certain number of gallons at inflated prices, they will not lower the price.
The cost of gas to drive to other areas and back makes up the difference and you don't save any money. Given that, they keep the prices the highest in the Malone area. Its a old trick and Malone has been doing since Myron Purdy stated it years ago. They see nothing wrong with charging Malone area people higher prices and defy you to drive else where to buy it.. It means that it good for them and more expensive for you.
In Calcium

New York, NY

#13 Apr 8, 2013
Down here in Calcium NY (near Watertown) the price is plenty lower. Probably due to the fact that we're much nearer to the cities that supply it. However, I find it hard to believe that it cost that much more to ship gas in 10,000 tankers to this area. Collusion at its best for sure. Are the Monettes behind it 100%. No. The other stations have to agree to it and will charge what they feel they can and still get away with it. It's what the market will bear.
I lived in Malone until about 3 years ago and it was the same back then. Same arguments too. Malone is also a very expensive little town/village to maintain and as such the tax base on all properties is way too high. This contributes to the problem.
As mentioned, one option is to clean house of all elected officials and start over. I've seen it done. Get rid of the network that's established and create a new one with new people. Then, continue to get rid of people in elected office until these folks get the message that we're not going to take it anymore. Malone needs to do this NOW.
Boycotting a business is a good way of putting out a message and if you're able to do that - fine. I could when I lived up there. I had a truck with a 30 gallon tank and once a month would drive to the Fort for gas. I'd take extra gas cans with me and fill them up too. This would carry me through for a month or more. I never bought gas in Malone. Some people can't do this though and have to buy where they can. Maybe writing a letter to the editor will get more results than writing on this forum though and if enough people complained, maybe something would get done. Certainly worth a try.
yourstory

New York, NY

#14 Apr 8, 2013
Monet enployed wrote:
They are awesome ppl I work for them they base gas prices on sunoco and Stewart's don't hate cause they make money and you don't they are great to employees and support us
I've talked to people that did work for them. They said different about the pay.Especialy about time and a half.
Monet employed

New York, NY

#15 Apr 8, 2013
Never had a problem

Since: Sep 08

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Apr 8, 2013
No Name wrote:
The Monette's have had discussions with Stewards's , Maplefields and SUnoco. I know a person who was privy to some of the conversations and its has to do do with distance you have to travel and population density of the area.
I do not fully understand how it operates but they all have agreed not to try to undercut each other and they have found out that if they stay at a calculated price difference from outlying areas, they all sell lots of gas at a good profit. They monitor sales closely and watch prices on the rez etc.. when they see a slip in sales here, which is rare because most people will not drive too far to get gas, they adjust prices.. It used to be 10 or 15 cents difference, lately they are pushing the envelope to see if people will tolerate up to 20 to 30 cents difference. AS LONG AS THEY SEll a certain number of gallons at inflated prices, they will not lower the price.
The cost of gas to drive to other areas and back makes up the difference and you don't save any money. Given that, they keep the prices the highest in the Malone area. Its a old trick and Malone has been doing since Myron Purdy stated it years ago. They see nothing wrong with charging Malone area people higher prices and defy you to drive else where to buy it.. It means that it good for them and more expensive for you.
I be leave you. I know what thy did was wrong. That what thy did is against the law. That is price fixing. Thy did it in the milk game to with the schools. Years ago.

xd
goto bj s

New York, NY

#17 Apr 8, 2013
xdrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I be leave you. I know what thy did was wrong. That what thy did is against the law. That is price fixing. Thy did it in the milk game to with the schools. Years ago.
xd
It wouldn't cost any more to join BJ's and buy gas there. It's about the same as the res. and sometimes cheaper.The money you save pays for the trip out and back.might even save a buck. bring a 5gal can with you and save more.
Get to see different scenery , a change is good.It's NOT that far, realy.Just go through Bombay, come out next to bj s.
goto bj s

New York, NY

#18 Apr 8, 2013
BJ's has top quality gas.Not the monett-res gas. BJ's gas is double filtered.
do the math

New York, NY

#19 Apr 8, 2013
my car gets 20mpg. it holds 16 gals. malone gas is 3.91. BJ's is 3.59 (if same as res, like someone says.)

costs me 62.56 to fill up in malone, 57.44 at BJ's. I save 5.12.

BJ's is 60 miles round trip or 3 gallons. so it costs me 10.77 to go to BJ's and back. cheaper to get gas in malone. to say nothing of the additional wear and tear on car (oil, tires, etc.)

don't save anything by filling up on the res either. at 3.59/gal would cost me 7.18 round trip. getting it in the fort is a wash as far as gas cost goes, so why waste the time, wear, and tear.

and I will not carry a 5 gal can of gas around in my car-sounds a bit dangerous to me.
u wish u New who I was

United States

#20 Apr 8, 2013
Ok people gas price are not done by any person it the market then u have to buy it transport it pay a driver pay for fuel in the truck truck payment tax on it permeates to go into Canada that where 90% or it comes from then you pay all that u r only making .03 to .05 CENTS per gallon so if u people think u can make so much money why don't you open 1 or 2 and see the head ack it really is

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
person 22 min angel 1
Rhonda Gribensk 37 min just messed up 10
Congrats 3 hr interesting BS 16
Hope Delaney 3 hr hopeknowswhoiam 8
Fireworks 2015 4 hr Mom dot com 1
D n M 5 hr Hmmmm 1
Undersheriff Investigation 7 hr taxpayer 1
More from around the web

Malone People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE