First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Andy Anderson

Ocala, FL

#41 Nov 25, 2008
YMCA Supporter wrote:
I was personally involved with the Task Force who worked very hard to get the YMCA to come to Malone. I don't think many people realize the effort and work it took to actually make this happen. When I learned that the Armory was set to close, I thought this would be a great opportunity to make a Community Center for the youth in our area as there was not a place for them to go. When Mr. Killeen (Director of Plattsburgh YMCA) came to talk at one of our Task Force meetings about the YMCA coming to Malone, we were excited to learn how this would be an environment that would not only help our youth but would also allow all age groups to have a venue for many different activities. I am proud to be a member of that Task Force and feel we have grown tremendously throughout the past five years. Is there still need of improvements?.. of course.. we are always looking for improved renovations and adding new ideas that the community would like to have but you have to remember we are on limited funds as well. I would encourage anyone who has not had a chance to come and visit the YMCA. It is truly a beautiful building with many programs and activities offered. You may also visit the website at maloneymca.com . Thank you to all who have shown support during these past years and we will hopefully continue to grow...
As a former educator and someone who believes in daily exercise, the food pyrimid, sound mind and body, I think the facility is a great start for a Malone YMCA. I purchased guest passes when I went back last month and it was very nice. I don't know if the other store front gym next to Tavern Arms is still in business but that was also nice.
observer

Syracuse, NY

#42 Nov 26, 2008
I have to say something here. Well, a few things. First of all, I love Malone and think we all need to look for the positive and stop putting Malone down. But that's another topic. This is about the "Y". I think the Y is an excellent place. Michelle does a wonderful job. I think one downfall of Malone is that a lot of people, in speaking, relate "we need something/someplace for our children" and in reality, are saying "I want a babysitter so I dont have to deal with my children". I had occasion to go into the Y the other day to pick up my "middle school age child" (no not a child running "amok".. and was greeted by an adult, who was very helpful in some questions I had. There were cupcakes somebody had baked sitting on the table, available for any child. It was a very nice environment. I believe the false impression/accusation that children are running wild is perhaps that of parents who wish somebody other than themselves woudl control their children for them. If there are children there, with no supervision, running wild and acting up, arent those the VERY children who NEED to be at teh Y.. who need someplace to go and have an adult present and perhaps a cupcake after school? If your child is a well behaved child, just looking for an activity, dont worry, your child will know enough not to get into trouble and run wild.
fred

Tully, NY

#43 Jan 1, 2010
still could use some new equipment.
Disappointed

United States

#45 Jan 2, 2010
I recently went to the Y. I had never been there before and couldn't believe that they charge $7.00 to get into that place. It is supposed to be an affordable place but $7.00 to doge basketballs as you try to get to the broken run down equipment. It is a joke.
Check it out

Bridgeport, NY

#46 Jan 2, 2010
The county legislature are currently blowing 5.5 million dollars on the "COURTHOUSE BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT", for alot of things that are absolutely unnecessary- they tore up the front steps and sidewalk and replaced them, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. They spent hundreds of thousands refurbishing Judge Main's big courtroom, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the old one. As a matter of fact the old courtroom had a feeling of justice in its antiquated way. You would think for once those 7 dummies could do something right and put some cash into THE YMCA. They blow so much cash on BS, thank God we will have the chance to vote those slimeballs out in November.
The people running the YMCA deserve alot of recognition for being the only people who have tried to do something positive for the youth of Malone.
And to the individual "Disappointed" your IP address is Williston VT, if you are not from there perhaps you could put your 7 bucks into gas and go over there and find a tree to hug!
ccc

New York, NY

#47 Jan 2, 2010
Check it out wrote:
The county legislature are currently blowing 5.5 million dollars on the "COURTHOUSE BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT", for alot of things that are absolutely unnecessary- they tore up the front steps and sidewalk and replaced them, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. They spent hundreds of thousands refurbishing Judge Main's big courtroom, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the old one. As a matter of fact the old courtroom had a feeling of justice in its antiquated way. You would think for once those 7 dummies could do something right and put some cash into THE YMCA. They blow so much cash on BS, thank God we will have the chance to vote those slimeballs out in November.
The people running the YMCA deserve alot of recognition for being the only people who have tried to do something positive for the youth of Malone.
And to the individual "Disappointed" your IP address is Williston VT, if you are not from there perhaps you could put your 7 bucks into gas and go over there and find a tree to hug!
On the contraary, it was absolutly nessasary, you might not see the value in building quality in our institutional buildings but those of us who care about our heritage and legacy do.
You probably would have freaked about the money young America spent on the capital at the beging of our nation too.
Manuel LaBore

Grand Island, FL

#48 Jan 3, 2010
I get a guest pass at the Y, it costs 8 bucks a day, I believe, which is kinda high when I am there for a week. The Y is a good step forward for Malone and something the community needs. Malone is a great place to live if you have a job working for the town, village, state or county and can make a living. People in Malone are genuine and Malone still has that small town feel. Yes, there is some crime, a few assholes and mean folks but that situation is everywhere. Don't put Malone down or underestimate what a great place it is to raise a family. I miss it.
SNOWMAN

Bridgeport, NY

#49 Jan 3, 2010
ccc wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contraary, it was absolutly nessasary, you might not see the value in building quality in our institutional buildings but those of us who care about our heritage and legacy do.
You probably would have freaked about the money young America spent on the capital at the beging of our nation too.
You are obviously quite intelligent, it is unfortunate that more tax dollars were not spent teaching you how to spell.
taxpayer

New York, NY

#50 Jan 3, 2010
I think it's possible to support the YMCA AND improvements to county buildings, let's hope the improvements are being well managed, the work completed so far looks pretty good.
AU GRATIN

Bridgeport, NY

#51 Jan 4, 2010
OK, but the ymca hasnt got any money yet.
malone resident

Auburn, NY

#53 Aug 17, 2014
It would be nice to have an actual gym/athletic center in Malone. The "Y" is a daycare center, community center, whatever. As someone else said we need a gym with a locker room free weights cardio pool etc.....someone should check out Corning Guthrie healthworks if they are about to put a plan into motion as all too often people fail to get it right the first time in Malone. Remember the other so called gym we had. It was a great effort but tailored for a narrow market.
Malone is lucky

United States

#54 Aug 17, 2014
The YMCA has something for everyone. My kids go to the summer camp, my wife and I work out and my mother just bought a membership. We are lucky to have it. All the gyms that have been in Malone close down so the YMCA has figured out how to do it and do it well.
Advocate Opportunity

East Hampton, CT

#55 Aug 30, 2014
The Citizens Voice wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny you bring this up. Anyone that was a member of the last "health club", "fitness center" in Malone and is now a member of the Y will tell you the Y is much cheaper and offers much more. Just a little tidbit.
If you check out the membership prices at the other Health Fitness Center that is about 25 - 30 minutes away from Malone, there prices are alot higher for a regular membership up to 54 yrs. old usually runs $75 -$85 per month. So I think the YMCA here in Malone is keeping there membership fee pretty fair price considering the next closest Fitness Center around, and might I had for $75 -$80 per month there isn't a swimming pool at that Fitness Center either, they use to have one ,but took it out and still charge the same membership fee if not higher now with no pool. I think the "Y" here in Malone is very reasonable pricing...and if you go to them and let them know that you and your family or just yourself can't afford to pay the membership fee it would be for you, I am almost certain there is something they can work with you, as isn't that what the YMCA is all about to begin with? I believe there are grants for YMCA's especially when it comes to families with children is my understanding. Anyways...it is a big improvement for Malone and our youth and yes it probably does need some updating in equipment and the building, but for the most part hey at least we have a Health Fitness Center that for our little community here in Malone and surrounding communities have available to them.
malone resident

Auburn, NY

#56 Sep 21, 2014
I would happily pay 5 to 6 hundred a year for a gym like Corning Guthrie healthworks.
so what

Truxton, NY

#57 Sep 21, 2014
malone resident wrote:
I would happily pay 5 to 6 hundred a year for a gym like Corning Guthrie healthworks.
not e3veryone is as rich as you think you are

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
amusement park in malone 14 hr Think about it 36
Tell Me Why Franklin County is being Left Out. 17 hr good idea 17
jerry (May '15) 19 hr Who 4
Tony Cook Tue Urauselessdick 2
S and S Auto (Aug '11) Tue Insearch 25
News Former U.S. Border agent sentenced in attempted... Tue Dead to the world 442
Info Tue Urauselessdick 9

Malone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Malone Mortgages