Malden High School honored

Posted in the Malden Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Memphisnumber1

United States

#1 Dec 27, 2007
I am a former graduate of Malden home for Christmas, someone said MHS just received some national magazine award....anyone know details? That's pretty good news.
Current Green Wave Fan

Bragg City, MO

#2 Dec 27, 2007
They were rated one of the best HS in America, along with Campbell and Van Buren from this "area" according to US Weekly. The got a Bronze medal for the way the school is going. Thats based on administration, teachers, and students.
Malden Girl

AOL

#3 Dec 28, 2007
Malden has always had first rate schools. That is one thing they can be proud of.Way to go,Malden.
Good news

Dexter, MO

#4 Dec 28, 2007
good
Former greenwave teacher

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Dec 29, 2007
Isn't this an interesting comment on people? Everyone wants to beat a thread to death if it's degrading someone or about a controversy, but this thread isn't even being mentioned. It's positive and something we should talk about! Congratulations Malden R-I for your achievement! Malden has a good school district, a good administration although it's changed since I was there, good teachers, and good students! I would put Malden up against any school district in the Bootheel! Yes, there are some problems as there are in any district and some people like to beat those problems to death, but we have a school that everyone should praise rather than put down. Keep up the good work!
I Agree

United States

#6 Dec 29, 2007
Former greenwave teacher wrote:
Isn't this an interesting comment on people? Everyone wants to beat a thread to death if it's degrading someone or about a controversy, but this thread isn't even being mentioned. It's positive and something we should talk about! Congratulations Malden R-I for your achievement! Malden has a good school district, a good administration although it's changed since I was there, good teachers, and good students! I would put Malden up against any school district in the Bootheel! Yes, there are some problems as there are in any district and some people like to beat those problems to death, but we have a school that everyone should praise rather than put down. Keep up the good work!
I agree. Something bad happens at Malden and people take it and run with it for months. Malden is a very good district and should be well respected, both academically and athletically, but it will never happen. People love to bash the employees and students. Guess that means we are stepping on the toes of those who don't want to see us be successful! Way to go MALDEN - ALWAYS proud to be a GREEN WAVE!
I-ll Never Tell

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Dec 29, 2007
Not too hard to gain this award considering the "AREA"... They weren't exactly going up against the entire state of Missouri, or even a half or fourth. The people giving this award saw PAPER, not the real thing. The real thing; affairs amongst the staff, an ego maniac leader, a cookie cutter school board, and a broke district in the near future.
JUST SAYING

AOL

#8 Dec 29, 2007
I think Malden has every reason and right to be proud of this award. Some people are jealous because their school didn't win and have to take pot shots at Malden and try to reduce the honor to a worthless one. Malden don't let them do it. Hold your heads up and be proud of your school district. Is it perfect? Hell no but it is one of the top ranked schools in the area. This is quite an achievement.Congratulations Malden,on your very great honor.
One Name Missing

United States

#9 Dec 29, 2007
I-ll Never Tell wrote:
Not too hard to gain this award considering the "AREA"... They weren't exactly going up against the entire state of Missouri, or even a half or fourth. The people giving this award saw PAPER, not the real thing. The real thing; affairs amongst the staff, an ego maniac leader, a cookie cutter school board, and a broke district in the near future.
Maybe all of the things you have said are true, but there is another thing that is true, BERNIE was NOT on the list! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Former greenwave teacher

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Dec 29, 2007
In answer to I'll never tell, I have friends in just about every school district in Southeast Missouri. I can't name any one district that hasn't had a scandal of one kind or another whether it be affairs, drunk driving, stealing from the district, etc. These offense were done by a minor few people and not the majority of hard-working individuals in the districts. To continue to bash the entire district for these transgressions is unfair. Furthermore, you can't just fire employees on hearsay; that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I hope you aren't a teacher working for our district with the attitude you have. As far as the leader, I know many teachers who like Mr. Cook and the job he is doing. If you don't like the school board, vote against them in the next election or campaign for someone you think will do a better job. As far as the job the school is doing, you can look on the DESE website to verify how our school ranks with ALL the other schools in Missouri. There will always be some that rank above us and some that rank below, but as you pointed out, this "area" has its challenges. I'm sure our teachers are working hard to meet those challenges.
Current Green Wave Fan

Fenton, MO

#11 Dec 30, 2007
In response to I'll never tell:

Actually, it was against every school in the state. Actually, ever school in the nation. So, don't run your mouth when you don't know what you are talking about. Malden was able to place high on the list in the NATION, not in the area. There were only 2 other schools from this "area" mentioned on the list, and one is so far away that we wouldn't consider them part of our area.
I-ll Never Tell

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Dec 30, 2007
I don't know anything about Bernie. I live in Malden just like you all don't live in St. Louis, Wardell, Valmeyer, IL, and so on. I run my mouth on here because I can and my opinions are just as valid as yours. They are all opinions, yours mine and everyone else's. If you don't like reading them, stay off the forum!
Current Green Wave Fan

Bragg City, MO

#13 Dec 30, 2007
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was just offering that advice you that you should keep your mouth shut when you don't know what you are talking about because you end up looking like an idiot - as you did in your earlier post. I enjoy reading all these "opinions" because it allows me to realize exactly what is wrong with "this generation" of kids. Its their parents and the adults they are around. Kids spread rumors without caring if they are true because their parents and "role-models" do the same thing. There are very few parents out there teaching their children to check into facts of something before repeating it, or better yet, not repeating anything that doesn't involve them.
I-ll Never Tell

Poplar Bluff, MO

#14 Dec 30, 2007
What are YOU talking about?????? Looks to me like you just want to run that mouth. I know much more than you think I do but I can't say how and you wouldn't want me to. I could get on here and let out information that would really surprise you, or maybe not. However, that isn't my style.:-)
realistic

United States

#15 Jan 3, 2008
I-ll Never Tell wrote:
47 states, over 18,000 school districts were compared and Malden, Campbell and Van Buren were only 3 that showed up as a top 10 school based on the educational output and national and state test score success. This is a comparison "by the numbers" showing real school district effort, it's not rumor or suspected or the school that shouts the most. This award was given to the schools that produce the most. This is a national award so at least one time people need to give the Malden administration and teachers and staff some credit for earning this-----every other school in the state WISHES they were on this list
Beentheredonetha t

Dexter, MO

#16 Jan 6, 2008
I used to work at Malden and am now retired. I thought people in the region might want to see some numbers from the website that posts all school tests scores (when they are turned in.% below is number of "proficient or advanced students in top 2 categories for each subject. I am proud of the work I did in Malden and even more proud test scores are much much higher than 10 years ago. We were probably bottom three on this list 10 years ago and my last 6 years we made tons of changes and got better classroom teachers. Plus we got rid of administrators that used to discipline kids that played football differently than other kids. And this superintendent I haven't worked but some of my best friends still do and he is an honest, hard-working man and MUCH BETTER than what we have had in Malden.
I have listed the school the reading score than the math score so you can compare facts instead of rumor.

High school Reading % Math %

Malden 38.4 39.9

Clarkton 25.8 22.1

Risco not listed

Gideon 30.6 35.6

Twin Rivers 37.3 25.6

Richland 16.1 36.2

Holcomb 37.5 36.3

Campbell 38.6 37.6

Kennett 32 28.8

New Madrid 26.9 22.6

Bernie 38.6 37.7

Dexter 35.9 41.0

North Pemiscot 26.7 31.2

Hayti 13.3 9.3

Caruthersville 29.2 22.6

Senath Hornersville 40.1 25.8

Keep up the good work Malden and awesome job teachers, some people are very proud of you!
Surprisedme

United States

#17 Jan 7, 2008
Wow, those numbers are pretty impressive and I did not know them.
Frank the Tank

Davenport, IA

#18 Jan 7, 2008
blow it up your arse
Former greenwave teacher

Chesterfield, MO

#19 Jan 7, 2008
I, too, am a retired Greenwave teacher. Those improvements do not come easily nor quickly. The teachers and administration have worked hard to help the students bring the scores up. All of them need to be commended for the improvement! Keep up the good work!
crazy8

United States

#20 Jan 7, 2008
I noticed that Malden did beat out Bernie. Good job. Although the curriculum is much tougher in Bernie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Malden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sewer district/maco 14 hr Peace please 1
Mary zimmerman/hicks (Jul '09) Tue Wondering 19
Stays Jul 22 Brazylioe 1
Hot days Jul 21 GOD 3
hello does anyone know the haines's? (Feb '09) Jul 18 Moveon 87
Shannon Hill Jul 18 The messiah sees ... 2
That Thor lee Jul 15 Random 1

Malden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance