Maui police kill suspect

Maui police kill suspect

There are 207 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 12, 2008, titled Maui police kill suspect. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The man hits three officers with his car as he flees during a drug search STORY SUMMARY READ THE FULL STORY MAKAWAO, Maui A 38-year-old Maui man was shot and killed after police opened fire on him when his car ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
HUMAN

Ewa Beach, HI

#3 Apr 12, 2008
Wrong choice done gone bad. Before we do things..we have to think about people we leave behind...we're all not alone
Jollibee

Rogers, AR

#4 Apr 12, 2008
Ten criminal conviction, and still running around? Do you think that I care? How about his victims? Did anyone care for them? If the police will kill each one of them everyday, eventually we have a better place to live peacefully!!! He do not need a prayer. He need a deeper hole so he will never commit another crime..Muldog, think if your family if his victim?
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#5 Apr 12, 2008
Exciting day on Maui.

Good thing the girl in the car was not injured.

What makes a criminal think that they can escape especially on an island?

Hopefully the criminals will get the message that it does not pay to drive away and hit a police officer with a vehicle.

Brittain had 10 convictions dating to 1997. He had convictions for weapons charges, driving a stolen vehicle, theft and several warrants.

Based on Brittain's past I can't blame the police for shooting. I am surprised that he was working as a security guard.

Based on Hawaii's lenient justice system, If he had just gotten caught he would be out in a couple of days.

If he had stopped after getting shot instead of driving 2 blocks the police would have been able to save his life after they shot him.
Jollibee

Rogers, AR

#6 Apr 12, 2008
Muldo, if he is my brother, he deserve to be killed by the authority!!!(police) He is not a big loss to the community. Felt bad for the family that care for him..
happy camper

Panama

#8 Apr 12, 2008
Now he knows eternity. hope all is well with all involved. i am sure the deceased did many good things in his life in addition to the bad things. A car can kill someone and all should take note.
Pocho

Ewa Beach, HI

#9 Apr 12, 2008
here we go again the Family gonna sue Hawaii's taxpayers.

When the cops tell you to stop, you stop! Why run away?

I know his parent(s) and friends blame it on ICE and not the Brittain. ICE made him do it
Disturbed

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Apr 12, 2008
First of all he was not a haole, he was born and raised on the islands. Please do not speak out of ignorance. Remember that this person was someones son, brother, and friend. He got into a bad situation with drugs and it made him a person that he wasn't. What's to blame is Crystal Meth and the devils who bring it in to the islands. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes. This situation was very unfortunate. Hopefully people will learn a valuable lesson from this that this is what drugs can lead to. Please have respect for his family.
Pocho

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Apr 12, 2008
it's not like the chicken and the egg controversy, Which came first?

ICE is there for the taking, BUT Brittain chose to use ICE. Cut and Dry
Visitor

San Rafael, CA

#12 Apr 12, 2008
It's all good.
Makuahine

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 Apr 12, 2008
No matter ICE or not we have choices. My prayers go out to all involved. Especially for the child that was left in the car, that she will grow up picking the right choices in life.
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#16 Apr 12, 2008
This guy was an Ice dealer.

Think of all the live he ruined.

"Brittain was wanted on two outstanding warrants, police said. The first was a $50,000 warrant for methamphetamine trafficking, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving without a license. The second was a no-bail warrant for parole violation.

Brittain had 10 criminal convictions, according to the Hawaii Criminal Justice data Center. Offenses he was convicted of include possession of prohibited weapons, unlawfully carrying a firearm, felony theft and auto theft."

This may be hard to believe but more people are killed by cars than by guns.

I think the police were justified. Whey would have known about his criminal past when they went to arrest him.

He could have gotten out of the car with gun and started shooting or taken the girl as a hostage.

Why don't his friends and family realize that he was a parole violating methamphetamine trafficker, possessing drug paraphernalia and driving without a license with a past history of prohibited weapons, unlawfully carrying a firearm, felony theft and auto theft.

Maybe the police should have just thrown eggs at the car hoping the driver would get out and wipe it out before it dries and left a stain.
ajay

Honolulu, HI

#17 Apr 12, 2008
Don't blame the USER's, blame the DEALER'S. Lock the dealers up for life and get the users to rehab.
Life is so precious, don't waste it!
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#18 Apr 12, 2008
ajay wrote:
Don't blame the USER's, blame the DEALER'S. Lock the dealers up for life and get the users to rehab.
Life is so precious, don't waste it!
This guy was a dealer and he is doing "life".
kahealani

Burbank, IL

#19 Apr 12, 2008
Brother Love wrote:
true, this guy brought this on himself but no way should the cops have been justified to shoot not w/ the girl in the passenger seat. if anyone would fire a gun even remotely in the direction of someone you would be charge w/ attempt murder, yet these cops can justify it by jumping in the path of a moving vehicle, then firing their weapons knowing there is a possibly innocent passenger that may get hit as well. are the police judge/jury now or is this like that movie "training day" cuz thats what it kinda sound like to me...
Typical Waipahu response
kahealani

Burbank, IL

#20 Apr 12, 2008
Disturbed wrote:
First of all he was not a haole, he was born and raised on the islands. Please do not speak out of ignorance. Remember that this person was someones son, brother, and friend. He got into a bad situation with drugs and it made him a person that he wasn't. What's to blame is Crystal Meth and the devils who bring it in to the islands. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes. This situation was very unfortunate. Hopefully people will learn a valuable lesson from this that this is what drugs can lead to. Please have respect for his family.
They shoot them where u live
kahealani

Burbank, IL

#21 Apr 12, 2008
Jollibee wrote:
Ten criminal conviction, and still running around? Do you think that I care? How about his victims? Did anyone care for them? If the police will kill each one of them everyday, eventually we have a better place to live peacefully!!! He do not need a prayer. He need a deeper hole so he will never commit another crime..Muldog, think if your family if his victim?
Put very well Maui no ka oi
Foot-Mouth

Wahiawa, HI

#23 Apr 12, 2008
If your name is J. Elizabeth, you may have a condition called Foot-Mouth disease (look it up on Google).

Get it checked immediately and please get it treated.

My suggestion is to try education, because ignorance is one of the causes of Foot-Mouth. Good Luck.
Visitor

San Rafael, CA

#24 Apr 12, 2008
a lot of hoopla about this human waste...let's get rid of these guys on a national level.
Town Boy

San Diego, CA

#25 Apr 12, 2008
Bye-bye.. Georgie Boy you were a nice guy and the chronics will really miss you.
Brudda

Waianae, HI

#26 Apr 12, 2008
The effects of drug use on friends and family is a sad tale.

It is time we all join together and work to defeat this scourge and save lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Makawao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Joe Groomes Mar '17 Nancy Groomes 1
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? Jan '17 Fukme 1
News If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up (Sep '14) Dec '16 FreeTheStairs 30
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13

Makawao Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance