Makawao Down to Earth closes its door...

Makawao Down to Earth closes its doors - Business

There are 10 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Feb 18, 2009, titled Makawao Down to Earth closes its doors - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Down to Earth Natural Foods has shuttered its store in Makawao, which had been open 17 years, due to tough economic times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

slim

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Feb 18, 2009
Let's face it DTE prices did not help them retain clients.
DTE

Hilo, HI

#2 Feb 18, 2009
They need Down to Earth prices.
ABS

Honolulu, HI

#3 Feb 18, 2009
if they lower their prices, the sales will be good and steady. Whole Foods is expensive. So if the smaller stores are smart, they better offer lower prices or else they will close.

People do want to eat healthy but it's the prices for healthy organic foods that stop people from doing so.
Bob

AOL

#4 Feb 18, 2009
You can only rip people off for so long.
Poi Boy

AOL

#5 Feb 18, 2009
Very sad!!!!!!!!
Oahu Portagee

Honolulu, HI

#6 Feb 18, 2009
ABS wrote:
if they lower their prices, the sales will be good and steady. Whole Foods is expensive. So if the smaller stores are smart, they better offer lower prices or else they will close.
People do want to eat healthy but it's the prices for healthy organic foods that stop people from doing so.
Can tell you don't have even basic business knowledge. Even Oahu Portagee has some business knowledge.

How can small stores offer lower prices when they usually have to pay MORE for their products? Large stores such as Whole Foods have more buying power. They purchase large quantities of products; therefore they are usually given a lower price.

Stores such as Down-to-Earth CANNOT compete with the big stores when it comes to price. The only area where they can compete and exceed their competitors in in terms of SERVICE. People are willing to pay more if service is excellent. You gotta welcome people with a big smile. You have to get to know your customers by name. Treat them in a special way, and they will be loyal to you.
CFI-kea

Hilo, HI

#7 Feb 18, 2009
Good,maybe all those hippies will move back!
Marie

Gianyar, Indonesia

#8 Feb 19, 2009
I've never even heard of this store. I shop at Foodland, Times, Safeway and farmers markets. Don't feel like it's much of a loss. As the economy slows, shoppers are more careful how they spend their money.

I thought it was a stupid dig to blame the loss of illegal rentals for their own failures.
phil_am

Fpo, AP

#9 Feb 19, 2009
I'll bet they voted for Stumble, fumble Obama
MauiMallCockaroa ch

United States

#10 Feb 19, 2009
CFI-kea wrote:
Good,maybe all those hippies will move back!
U mean da Maui Chronics? Wea U figga dey going?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Makawao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukme 1
News Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Jan '15 Keoni alfapada 16

Makawao Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Makawao Mortgages