Letters to the Editor - Letters

Letters to the Editor - Letters

There are 111 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 28, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Nevada has more bankruptcies and loss of homes from foreclosures than almost any other state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Hawaii 50

Nashville, TN

#1 Dec 28, 2009
Cousin Brucie: You sound like the tobacco farmers and employees of Philip-Morris. Woah is us...our product KILLS, is polluting to the environment, zero economically sound, yet, "my daddy grew sugar, his daddy grew it, and now I'm in it". It's over. Maui was voted "#1 Island in the World" 12 times in a row. But, with 1 dinky road linking Kihei/Wailea to Lahaina/Kaanapali with accidents all the time, shutting it down for 8 hrs., tourists won't come. Add the volcanic smoke plumes from burning surgar and "Maui Snow" all over the place, can you add and subtract as to why tourism is DOWN 25%?
Big John - Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#3 Dec 28, 2009
Stephanie Darrow's ltr, "Planning-days letter disputed," chides Gerhard C. Hamm's ltr concerning what he neglects to mention in his letter about private schools, "private school teachers have planning periods in their schedule daily."

Okay Stephanie, you failed to mention in your letter WHAT private schools have plannign periods in their schedule?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Big John - Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#4 Dec 28, 2009
Betty J. Goodwin's ltr, "Legal gambling will ruin Hawaii.

Betty, Betty, quite trying to be a "big" brother/sister to all people. You remind me of those conservative religious people who demand that certain television programs not be broadcast because of their content. My take on that is, if you don't want to watch it, change the channel or turn the set off. Same for gaming/gambling. If you don't want to gamble, don't, but don't deny the general population, if they so desire to game/gamble.

We already have very active/ongoing illegal gambling in this State, i.e., illegal gambling parlors, sports betting pools, chicken fights, etc.
Monday

Silver Spring, MD

#5 Dec 28, 2009
Re: Betty Goodwin's letter.

Can you provide the evidence or documentation that the bankruptcies and foreclosures are directly caused by gambling? In fact, most of the gamblers are from out of State. The bankruptcies and foreclosures you are referring to are for people who live in Nevada and more likely than not work within the gaming/hospitality industry. Like the rest of the Country, Nevada has been on this 10 year dream of everybody needs and deserves big homes and luxury cars even when they make somewhat modest incomes. The current economic crash and loss of tourism is why these people are in trouble....not because they gambled their life savings away.
Monday

Silver Spring, MD

#6 Dec 28, 2009
Re: Stephanie Darrow's letter.

The more relevant question is why the State of Hawaii spends more per student that the tuition charged at a private school and (i) still can't make the numbers work, and (ii) worse yet, still ranks at the bottom in the Nation for the quality of education that it provides.
Anti Jihad

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Dec 28, 2009
THIS is more IMPORTANT than the manini gripes on the board !

Our BIG problem is the murdering IslamoFacist Terrorists who want to hurt ALL of America !

Neutralize the ACLU in these cases and screen ALL Muslims in a seperate Airport security line.

ironically it's the ACLU that may destroy this country !
Poi

Livingston, CA

#8 Dec 28, 2009
Anti Jihad wrote:
THIS is more IMPORTANT than the manini gripes on the board !
Our BIG problem is the murdering IslamoFacist Terrorists who want to hurt ALL of America !
Neutralize the ACLU in these cases and screen ALL Muslims in a seperate Airport security line.
ironically it's the ACLU that may destroy this country !
It's not a problem according to Obamas Homeland Security Chief.

She said that the fact that a Muslim Terrorist got explosives on board an ignited them was a sign that "THE SYSTEM WORKED".

See?

No problem. Just like Reverend Wright, Bill Ayers, Rezco buying the next door home same day as Barry,....... on and on.

It all doesn't mean anything. Just look away.
Adicted

Pearl City, HI

#9 Dec 28, 2009
Hawaii gambled on electing a republican governor, and lost. This is proof that gambling does not pay.
MeAgain

Mills River, NC

#10 Dec 28, 2009
Anti Jihad wrote:
THIS is more IMPORTANT than the manini gripes on the board !
Our BIG problem is the murdering IslamoFacist Terrorists who want to hurt ALL of America !
Neutralize the ACLU in these cases and screen ALL Muslims in a seperate Airport security line.
ironically it's the ACLU that may destroy this country !
It's not like one's religion is tattooed on your arm. Or you carry a membership card. I would think a halfway intelligent Muslim terrorist could easily say he/she is a Christian, or Buddhist. Perhaps you mean to screen every person from a Muslim country? Or from any country with Muslims in it? Like the USA. And what would a separate line accomplish anyway? I guess you probably mean somehow more stringent inspection for that line? Like strip searches for every (possible or probable) Muslim? Because it seems like that would really slow down boarding for everyone.
alice

United States

#11 Dec 28, 2009
Lingle should apologize for his incompetence and resign.
Blue Eyed White Devil

Ewa Beach, HI

#12 Dec 28, 2009
While we're off topic, I think a little racial profiling would go a long way in stopping these airline terror attempts.

A friend of mine who flies El Al often, tells me no Arabs are allowed to on El Al flights.
just another voice

Riverside, CA

#16 Dec 28, 2009
Monday wrote:
Re: Stephanie Darrow's letter.
The more relevant question is why the State of Hawaii spends more per student that the tuition charged at a private school and (i) still can't make the numbers work, and (ii) worse yet, still ranks at the bottom in the Nation for the quality of education that it provides.
I will not apologize for the behavior of a small minority of teachers who are failing to do their jobs properly, but for the many who are working their hardest and still achieving limited results, here are a couple of reasons:

1. The private schools are not required by law to take disabled students who may be incapable of learning. The public schools have to take everyone, even students who are unable to decipher ABC by the sixth grade.

2. If kids shout obscenities at their teacher, throw chairs out the window while in class, disrupt classes, or otherwise engage in unacceptable behavior, the private schools assume that this is the fault of the student, and the schools expel the student, often times without a tuition refund for the parents. If this same behavior happens in a public school, the public school assumes that this is the fault of the teacher, and the teacher is blamed by the principal and parents for the behavior while the student is retained not only in the school but also in the class he or she disrupted without any consequences for his or her behavior. Only the teacher is held accountable for his or her student's bad behavior--never the student. Thus, the student learns he or she can do anything he or she wants.

If public and private schools played on a level field, then it would be fair to judge them by the same standards, but until public school students have to meet the same mental and behavioral standards as private school students, this is grossly unfair.
richard

Honolulu, HI

#20 Dec 28, 2009
alice wrote:
Lingle should apologize for his incompetence and resign.
Governor Lingle is a woman....you should apologize for your incompetence and resign....
richard

Honolulu, HI

#21 Dec 28, 2009
Blue Eyed White Devil wrote:
While we're off topic, I think a little racial profiling would go a long way in stopping these airline terror attempts.
A friend of mine who flies El Al often, tells me no Arabs are allowed to on El Al flights.
I think that is correct, but in the PC world of the liberals, that would offend somebody and in the PC world. We'd rather have planes blow up and people shot at in some terrorist act, than act upon a suspecion in fear that we aren't nice and PC like the rest of the world. We'll put them on a list and red flag it.

Cause you know what happens when you are UN PC on Obamaland, you get treated as a racist untolerant person and may persecuted as a criminal for trying to keep your fellow American safe like the: Navy Seals, CIA and others that haven't made the news yet.
alice

United States

#22 Dec 28, 2009
Lingle has been a bust but I don't feel she is dishonest
Pearl City Senior

Honolulu, HI

#23 Dec 28, 2009
For Pau and Yeah - You seem to forget not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims.
And, don't give me that tired old argument about McVey. His was an isolated case.
muslim terrorists are killing innocent people on a daily basis.
When a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian robs a bank, the APB goes out for a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian. What's wrong with checking muslims before they enter the country?
MeAgain

Mills River, NC

#24 Dec 28, 2009
richard wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is correct, but in the PC world of the liberals, that would offend somebody and in the PC world. We'd rather have planes blow up and people shot at in some terrorist act, than act upon a suspecion in fear that we aren't nice and PC like the rest of the world. We'll put them on a list and red flag it.
Cause you know what happens when you are UN PC on Obamaland, you get treated as a racist untolerant person and may persecuted as a criminal for trying to keep your fellow American safe like the: Navy Seals, CIA and others that haven't made the news yet.
I still don't understand how racial profiling will help that much. This recent guy was a black man from Africa. Do you suggest questioning and additional searches for every black person traveling to or from the US? There are Muslims who are Indonesian, Pakistani, Filipino, African, a number of other countries and yes, even some people who aren't brown skinned. There are terrorists and just plain nutcases who aren't Muslim and come in every color. To somehow make this a failing of Obama and liberals seems ridiculous. Unless everyone, including you is willing to go through the maximum screening possible, I don't see how profiling by race makes us much safer.
alice

United States

#25 Dec 28, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
For Pau and Yeah - You seem to forget not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims.
And, don't give me that tired old argument about McVey. His was an isolated case.
muslim terrorists are killing innocent people on a daily basis.
When a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian robs a bank, the APB goes out for a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian. What's wrong with checking muslims before they enter the country?
Islam is not at war with America. You are speaking about a tiny group...less than one thousanth of one percent.

Israel is a well known terrorist state and the IRA in ireland has terrorism in it past. Same with the breakaway states in Spain, etc. There are many examples of terrorism around the world. Pakistan, India, Malaysia, etc.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#26 Dec 28, 2009
Pearl City Senior wrote:
For Pau and Yeah - You seem to forget not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims.
And, don't give me that tired old argument about McVey. His was an isolated case.
muslim terrorists are killing innocent people on a daily basis.
When a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian robs a bank, the APB goes out for a blonde blue-eyed Caucasian. What's wrong with checking muslims before they enter the country?
Then you and your argument would have fit in quite well with the "protection" of Japanese Americans about 70 years ago in concentration camps.

And don't forget the Crusades. Seems you can hang the label of terrorists on other religions as well, and it would have been well deserved.

But then, you'll probably want to limit my arguments to expand upon yours.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#27 Dec 28, 2009
MeAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't understand how racial profiling will help that much. This recent guy was a black man from Africa. Do you suggest questioning and additional searches for every black person traveling to or from the US? There are Muslims who are Indonesian, Pakistani, Filipino, African, a number of other countries and yes, even some people who aren't brown skinned. There are terrorists and just plain nutcases who aren't Muslim and come in every color. To somehow make this a failing of Obama and liberals seems ridiculous. Unless everyone, including you is willing to go through the maximum screening possible, I don't see how profiling by race makes us much safer.
It has no rhyme or reason involved. It's simply to spread FUD. To them, it resolves all questions about anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Makawao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Apr 26 Aulani Alfapada 23
Review: Frank's Friendly Cars Maui Car Rental LLC (Jun '11) Feb '18 Big Al 2
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Feb '18 Musikologist 7
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Paying respect and fentanyl (Nov '17) Nov '17 three blocks 1
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5

Makawao Jobs

Personal Finance

Makawao Mortgages