Old town Paia
Fukmi

United States

#1 Jan 23, 2017
I'll try and repost this again, apparantly someone felt it was politically incorrect and removed it, cant help that.
Paia was originally an old sugar plantation town before its offshore winds & paradise were discovered by the world and soon after became the windsurfing capital.
Before that, was basically a hippie/surfer town, one could pretty much live off the grid there before the internet and social media came along, and many did intentially & unintentially.
I moved there while in high school in the early 70's, it was a great time.
If drugs were your thing, they were everywhere for the asking & the social media for that time.
The world had not yet discoved Paia yet, it was unique and affordable, things were as they seemed, very unassuming.
The only real issue for the mainland haole was some of the locals, i guess we appeared as assholes, and probably deserving so, now looking back and looking at the facebook CEO and his "land rights" on Kauai.
"Beefs" or fights were common place, not hard to find between locals & haoles, hookipa, baldwin beach or in town at the inn/resturant/bar on a saturday night and this was validated over and over, a few primos in one of the local boys was all it took, lots of resentment built up.
Hell, i got in 2 fist fights my first day 10th grade at Maui High School when it was up the road from Hookipa.
It was a great time though, school until 2 or 3pm, then surfing at hookipa or in the bay, what a life. Time it was and what a time it was.
Days I will never forget.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Makawao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hurricane sends Hawaiians hurrying to buy supplies Aug 28 Joe Balls 11
News Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Apr '18 Aulani Alfapada 23
Review: Frank's Friendly Cars Maui Car Rental LLC (Jun '11) Feb '18 Big Al 2
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Feb '18 Musikologist 7
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Paying respect and fentanyl (Nov '17) Nov '17 three blocks 1
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2

Makawao Jobs

Personal Finance

Makawao Mortgages