Local Baptist camp being sued

Feb 7, 2010 | Posted by: Top Mod 5 | Full story: www.somerset-kentucky.com

An Ohio family is suing a local Baptist camp, claiming negligence on the part of the camp's staff and owners led to the sexual molestation of one of the family's children. The civil suit, brought against Camp Victory, located on Camp Victory Road in Somerset, stems from a criminal investigation that took place several years ago after allegations of sexual abuse on the part of a minister traveling with a church from out of state arose.

Comments
1 - 20 of 44 Comments Last updated Oct 24, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Topix Headquarters

#1 Feb 7, 2010
"An Ohio family is suing a local Baptist camp, claiming negligence on the part of the camp's staff and owners led to the sexual molestation of one of the family's children." (full story: http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/local/local_... )
druggies

London, KY

#2 Feb 7, 2010
how can they sue the camp it said the out of town church rented it

Since: Sep 09

o------------><-----------o

#3 Feb 7, 2010
druggies wrote:
how can they sue the camp it said the out of town church rented it
If it's like a 4-H Camp there is local on-staff employees working at the camp throughout the season.
WTF

Sheridan, AR

#4 Feb 7, 2010
The dude was a child molester from Ohio and molested them there also. Are they going to sue their church in Ohio for letting it happen there also.
Well

Brownsville, TN

#5 Feb 7, 2010
WTF wrote:
The dude was a child molester from Ohio and molested them there also. Are they going to sue their church in Ohio for letting it happen there also.
More specifically, the "dude" who molested the kids is a minister, not just any random "dude."
Aight

Oneida, TN

#6 Feb 7, 2010
Sounds like someone trying to get money. The man came from ohio and brought the kids with him from ohio correct? They should be concerned with his church in ohio not a place they took the kids to.

“Irish Eyes, T'salagi Temper”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 7, 2010
If the church rented the camp, entrusted the minister with their children, why take it out on the owner/owners of the camp? Usually, the churches who rent the camp provide their own chaperones.
nattysdaddy

Corbin, KY

#8 Feb 7, 2010
I hate what happened to the boys, but obviously the people at Camp Dove are not in any way responsible. How could they have possibly known what would take place? I understand them wanting someone to pay but the only one they should sue is the piece of crap that did the molesting.
alternative biker

Brownsville, TN

#9 Feb 7, 2010
Hate to be the one to say it but looks like an omc to me(

Location hidden

#10 Feb 7, 2010
alternative biker wrote:
Hate to be the one to say it but looks like an omc to me(
Please leave your hatred of the OMC off this thread. Stick to the topic at hand. Thisman was a minister of a church was used his position to abuse children. Nowhere in the article did it say he was a member of a motorcycle gang. Obsess much?
XXqpXX

Erlanger, KY

#11 Feb 7, 2010
Anyone surprised that another church leader got his cherries off on another kid? It seems to be pretty FN normal news any more.
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 8, 2010
The parenst are suing because they don't feel there was adequate supervision and that the abuse should have been prevented.

They're right, it SHOULD have been prevented.

That said, why do people even send their kids to church camp? It's practically synonymous with underage sex.

Ask around. Those who went to church camp ALWAYS have a story or two to tell.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 8, 2010
It should've been prevented but how is the camp responsible for the actions of the offender?
nattysdaddy

Corbin, KY

#14 Feb 8, 2010
I undersdtood they just rented the facility to this group and theis group was holding the camp. That would be like renting a house and because your spouse hits you suing your landlord

Since: Oct 09

Somerset, KY

#15 Feb 8, 2010
He has been at this camp for 20 years so you wouldn't think he was a stranger to the family that owns and runs the camp and the harmon mans wife came too. Who knew what???
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 8, 2010
I'm guessing the Ohio church didn't just use the buildings but also some of Camp Victory's staff? If they did indeed only rent buildings then the lawsuit is a joke.

Since: Sep 09

o------------><-----------o

#17 Feb 8, 2010
They may be including the camp in the litigation under advice from their attorney. Once it reaches the court room the court may decide it was a certain percent responsibility of the minister and a certain percentage that of the camp. You never know how it might turn out and the parents and their lawyer are covering different bases (elements).
Reader

Columbus, OH

#18 Feb 8, 2010
Old Tea Bag wrote:
The parenst are suing because they don't feel there was adequate supervision and that the abuse should have been prevented.
They're right, it SHOULD have been prevented.
That said, why do people even send their kids to church camp? It's practically synonymous with underage sex.
Ask around. Those who went to church camp ALWAYS have a story or two to tell.
From my distance, I don't know why the suit against the camp--that is, I am not privy to the specific roles played by anyone as regards hiring staff, etc. So--the suit might be justified.

However--I am prepared to stick up for camping in general, and church camps specifically based on my own experience as a camper, counselor and a parent. I have certainly seen a full range of care taken with regard to supervision, as well as a full range in the quality of programs. For the most part, camping experiences are positive learning and socialization opportunities and can be both memorable and life-changing. Negligence can occur as a result of belief in the strength of the program (ie: doing God's work) over-rides caution and things happen. It can also occur when camping programs are used as cash cows while operated on a shoe-string.

I have never sent my children to a camp where I didn't have a pretty good idea that the program was sound and supervision adequate. Even so, I have known of tragedies to occur--just as I have known of some to befall the most responsible and loving of families. But--I would say that this tracks more to the imperfection of human beings than to any inherent possibility of harm in camping itself.

Somerset, KY

#19 Feb 8, 2010
He brought kids from his Church stayed for the week and other kids from local Churches was under his supervision too. If your kid went there the last 20 years you should ask them if anything happened to them. he was well known at the camp. He even swam with kids and supervised not just his Church kids but others

Somerset, KY

#20 Feb 8, 2010
Dont get me wrong i love the people from the camp and believe they are good Christian people but I LOVE ALL CHILDREN and any child that is hurt takes priority. This should be a warning to all that take children under their care, People are not to be trusted with our most prize gift our children if you dont watch them then you are intrusting someone else and Preditors are everywhere under every rock and around every corner. Our friends, family and church members could be that person, so be safe watch your kids close and know who you are leaving them with. There life is in your hands

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Duke_For_Mayor 30,580
How do you feel about the governor,s term ,what... Sun Ronald Kidwell 2
Why Little Miami Schools will always be broke! Sat Anna 2
What are they building next to white castle? Aug 28 JeffersonBurton 3
Just because it is The South lebanon Forum... Aug 28 JeffersonBurton 1
looking for wartracker Aug 24 kirby 1
Police Department Complaints Aug 24 Deathtoron 9
•••
•••
•••

Maineville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000