what are your thoughts about Huntingt...

what are your thoughts about Huntington ?

Posted in the Maidsville Forum

miss hottie

Morgantown, WV

#1 May 4, 2012
How come that place is so full of crime , sexual predators and drugs ? And why do people from that way have this big ego about it ? Why do they take pride in a loser football team and a shitty city ?... Anyone know why ?
usuck

Portage, MI

#2 May 8, 2012
Because morgantown sucks and its inhabitants are as*holes
WV Man

London, KY

#3 Jul 23, 2012
miss hottie wrote:
How come that place is so full of crime , sexual predators and drugs ? And why do people from that way have this big ego about it ? Why do they take pride in a loser football team and a shitty city ?... Anyone know why ?
How come so many people in Huntington and surrounding areas hate Morgantown and surrounding areas? How come so many people in Morgantown and surrounding areas hate Huntington and surrounding areas? Huntington and Morgantown are in the same state. The Huntington, WV / Morgantown, WV rivalry reminds me of the Lexington, Ky/ Louisville, Ky rivalry and the Dallas, Tx / Fort Worth, Tx rivalry. Stupidity. Ignorance. Immaturity.
1 post removed
ironman

United States

#5 Jul 30, 2012
Lots of hate on here. i love wv!
Herd 91

Martinsburg, WV

#6 Jul 30, 2012
West Virginia is a beautiful state and has very nice and lovely people until you up around the Clarksburg, Fairmont and Morgantown area. Those are the areas that are responsible for our bad reputation.
Truth

United States

#7 Jul 30, 2012
Herd 91 wrote:
West Virginia is a beautiful state and has very nice and lovely people until you up around the Clarksburg, Fairmont and Morgantown area. Those are the areas that are responsible for our bad reputation.
You must be from the part of West Virginia around Huntington that inspired the movie Deliverance. Just look at the Huntington forum to see what kind of stupid, inbred lunatics are in that town. I know people from around there who claim that their parents are cousins. THAT is why West Virginia has a bad reputation.
wvmtnboy

United States

#8 Jul 30, 2012
If I had to take a guess, I think that the problems that effect huntington stems from its proximity to the border. You have a triangle with Ashland, ky on one side, and Ohio on the other. I recall reading an article about how people would go across the state line because prescriptions were easier to get in Ohio. That sort of traffic can only lead to.increased opportunities for trouble. Additionally, having a sizable college thrown into the mix would only exascerbate the problem. I've lived in mo'town for 10 years Joes and I recall a.similar problem here. People from uniontown, pa were coming into.town, working the drug trade, and we went through a rash of shootings downtown. The city's answer was to enforce strict, late night towing policies, and more police on the beat. It seemed to.alleviate a lot of the problems we were having.
joe schmoe

Huntington, WV

#9 Jul 8, 2015
Bumping an old topic to ask, how would you compare huntington to morgantown in 2015? As far as crime, jobs, ect.
Messenger

Charleston, WV

#10 Jul 12, 2015
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be from the part of West Virginia around Huntington that inspired the movie Deliverance. Just look at the Huntington forum to see what kind of stupid, inbred lunatics are in that town. I know people from around there who claim that their parents are cousins. THAT is why West Virginia has a bad reputation.
It's time for you to take another look. Huntington about to be in national spotlight with investigative journalism show that will paint them bad, then good for beginning change and improvements. Rest of state's hospitals will look like frontier medicine, scamming, rip-off artists, sex maniacs, racketeering and RICO violations, monumental sexual favor for promotion/favoritism antics by administration and management, etc.

The U. S. Has fallen to number eight in the world in quality and outcomes rankings, among first tier countries. WV Healthcare system/ hospitals about to be used as scapegoat state to explain why. U.S. Is also number one in the world in healthcare costs, and WV is going to be used as the scapegoat state in explaining why. In same documentary. Next most expensive (#two in world) country is only one-half the per capita cost for healthcare as U.S., but quality and outcomes rankings higher than us.

Yeah, it gets worse. U.S. Is ranked as having world's most expensive Administrative healthcare costs, again double (per capita) the second most expensive country in the world in that respect; and you guessed it, the documentary uses WV Hospitals and healthcare as an example.
After they "drill down" to a less macro approach to the story, examples will be spot-lighted, hospitals sins will be singled out for illustrative purposes, and WV, believe it, or not, will be depicted as having some of the most expensive healthcare costs in the WORLD; and yet we are the poorest states in the country. It ain't goin to be pretty, folks. That's enough for now, but it gets worse, if you can believe that. Utilization rates, mortality rates, hospital acquired infections, etc.. State regulatory agencies had better get off their asses and start at least appearing to do some significant things that justify their existence and staffing levels and expertise--- to look like they are not only aware(sadly, they are not) of the problems; and that they are taking some blitzkrieg actions and efforts to at least BEGIN addressing the problems. Gee and CEO/administrators of med. center should be practicing their excuses and rationalization so, and not get ambushed by what's coming. Give them a heads up and some slim chance to keep West Virginia from looking like a total third-world-country within the U.S. On the World-Stage.

Don't shoot the Messenger. Remember you heard it here first. No stupid 'net hoax ladies and gentlemen. Start looking up some of the rankings and ratings and numbers and facts. You'll be quickly convinced.

Most of our CEOs are egomaniacs and in denial, so heads-up probably a waste of time. If you have a favorite doc,you might clue them in.

Part of show will debunk JCAHO as a joke and self-serving and ineffectual. All true. Ease of obtaining fee increases for hospitals in WV will get bright lights, as will some of the creative accounting that makes hospitals APPEAR as though they need fee hikes to keep their doors open.

Whole thing is gonna rip the scabs off some chronic, infectious wounds and sins of WV healthcare system, which, to be fair , will show the anomalies and pathology of the entire country's healthcare symptoms.

Give you more as I hear it.

Since: Apr 13

New Britain, CT

#11 Jul 15, 2015
WV Man wrote:
<quoted text>
How come so many people in Huntington and surrounding areas hate Morgantown and surrounding areas? How come so many people in Morgantown and surrounding areas hate Huntington and surrounding areas? Huntington and Morgantown are in the same state. The Huntington, WV / Morgantown, WV rivalry reminds me of the Lexington, Ky/ Louisville, Ky rivalry and the Dallas, Tx / Fort Worth, Tx rivalry. Stupidity. Ignorance. Immaturity.
Huntington doesn't begin to compare with Morgantown. Morgantown has a vibrant and growing economy, the state's best, largest, and only national university, and a highly educated population with terrific amenities and awesome outdoor venues right out the back yard.

Huntington, on the other hand, is known as Little Detroit, has an economy on life support, relies on state doles for everything that happens there, and has a pretend institution of lower learning that exists on ever increasing handouts but still has declining enrollment, mirroring the city of Huntington which is filled with criminals and welfare wonders and high school dropouts.
Mssheila

United States

#12 Sep 29, 2015
ctmountaineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Huntington doesn't begin to compare with Morgantown. Morgantown has a vibrant and growing economy, the state's best, largest, and only national university, and a highly educated population with terrific amenities and awesome outdoor venues right out the back yard.
Huntington, on the other hand, is known as Little Detroit, has an economy on life support, relies on state doles for everything that happens there, and has a pretend institution of lower learning that exists on ever increasing handouts but still has declining enrollment, mirroring the city of Huntington which is filled with criminals and welfare wonders and high school dropouts.
Bwahaha....you even attempt to compare a small village to a large city? Grow up clod hopper.
CTMountianeer

Morgantown, WV

#13 Sep 30, 2015
Mssheila wrote:
<quoted text>
Bwahaha....you even attempt to compare a small village to a large city? Grow up clod hopper.
And which "large city" would that be? We don't have any of those in our state. What we do have is several small cities, including Huntington which has the negatives of a larger city with none of the positives, and Morgantown, which actually has more people living in it most of the year and although, like Huntington, is a small city has many of the positive amenities of a larger one.
HighlanderProud

Princeton, WV

#14 Oct 1, 2015
miss hottie wrote:
Why do they take pride in a loser football team and a shitty city ?
For your information, our Huntington Highlanders are 4-0 in the region. Check your facts before you start dissing our "loser football team."
Mssheila

United States

#15 Oct 1, 2015
CTMountianeer wrote:
<quoted text>
And which "large city" would that be? We don't have any of those in our state. What we do have is several small cities, including Huntington which has the negatives of a larger city with none of the positives, and Morgantown, which actually has more people living in it most of the year and although, like Huntington, is a small city has many of the positive amenities of a larger one.
The entire population of your town could fit in Marshall's football stadium. That says it all. Your town can't even begin compare to Htown in any category. The size of your entire town in sq miles could fit inside Huntington and barely be larger than the downtown area of Huntington. Your population is smaller by a huge margin even when u add wvu students. If Huntington wanted to do that with its MU students it dwarfs you..do your research. Without students of MU or wvu added to either you get dwarfed. Huntington is the largest inland port in the NATION and does more shipping than philly...look it up yourself. Not even close. You may as well compare Morgan town to Chicago.
CTMountianeer

Morgantown, WV

#16 Oct 2, 2015
Mssheila wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire population of your town could fit in Marshall's football stadium. That says it all. Your town can't even begin compare to Htown in any category. The size of your entire town in sq miles could fit inside Huntington and barely be larger than the downtown area of Huntington. Your population is smaller by a huge margin even when u add wvu students. If Huntington wanted to do that with its MU students it dwarfs you..do your research. Without students of MU or wvu added to either you get dwarfed. Huntington is the largest inland port in the NATION and does more shipping than philly...look it up yourself. Not even close. You may as well compare Morgan town to Chicago.
I don't blame you for believing that. Not checking the fact is commonplace in Huntington, so please permit me to provide them for you. You are correct that our town is compact, and that the Huntington city limits were designed for when that city had twice the population you find there today, a situation brought about by decades of decline and decay in Huntington. Huntington has lost the majority of its industrial base and the only thing moving in there in recent years has been a telephone call center.

Morgantown has considerably more residents most of the year with 33,000 "permanent" residents and 25,000 of WVU's 30,000 students coming in from outside the area giving a normal population of 58,000 in the city limits. Huntington has 49,000 permanent residents, and 2,200 of Marshall's 9,400 full time students are not commuters so there are normally about 51,200 people living there most of the year. More importantly though are the average ages and educational levels of those residents. Huntington has many more older people and Morgantown has many more educated people. Huntington is stuck in the middle of nowhere, surrounded on all sides except for Putnam County by decline and decay while Morgantown is thriving, growing, and developing every day.

You mentioned the Joan Men's Athletic Research Facility and Stadium, so comparing athletics the highlight of the year in Huntington is playing host to one of the worst Power 5 football teams in the country in decrepit facilities while Morgantown has Puskar Stadium, which just this week was filled with 61,200 fans for a home game and has several top notch teams coming here. We also have the Coliseum, a first rate baseball park, a professional baseball team, hundreds of eateries, and our state's best nightlife in additioin to what is easily the best arts scene in our state. We also have the Allegheny Mountain Range just 10 minutes away with hiking, biking, sightseeing, white water rafting, ziplining, and camping and 50 miles of developed rail trails.

While Huntington is basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with that inland port you mentioned having things pass through there, but not stopping and creating jobs, Morgantown is an hour from Pittsburgh, 3 1/2 hours from DC/Baltimore with its 7 million people, on the edge of the Marcellus Gas fields, and the pillar of North Central West Virginia's extensive High Tech Corridor comprising many research firms and organizations as well as NASA, the FBI, and 2 Federal prisons.

Monongalia is one of only 3 WV counties to have more than 100,000 permanent residents, while Cabell has lost that distinction. Development and construction are taking place at every turn here. In Huntington, it is front page news when they build a new fast food restaurant to feed a population that ranks as the more obese in America. The violent crime rate in Morgantown is only 1/3 that of Huntington, and there is an even bigger disparity for property crimes. There is just no comparison. Morgantown is head and shoulders better than Huntington.
hahaha

Dunbar, WV

#17 Oct 2, 2015
CTMountianeer wrote:
<quoted text>I don't blame you for believing that. Not checking the fact is commonplace in Huntington, so please permit me to provide them for you. You are correct that our town is compact, and that the Huntington city limits were designed for when that city had twice the population you find there today, a situation brought about by decades of decline and decay in Huntington. Huntington has lost the majority of its industrial base and the only thing moving in there in recent years has been a telephone call center.

Morgantown has considerably more residents most of the year with 33,000 "permanent" residents and 25,000 of WVU's 30,000 students coming in from outside the area giving a normal population of 58,000 in the city limits. Huntington has 49,000 permanent residents, and 2,200 of Marshall's 9,400 full time students are not commuters so there are normally about 51,200 people living there most of the year. More importantly though are the average ages and educational levels of those residents. Huntington has many more older people and Morgantown has many more educated people. Huntington is stuck in the middle of nowhere, surrounded on all sides except for Putnam County by decline and decay while Morgantown is thriving, growing, and developing every day.

You mentioned the Joan Men's Athletic Research Facility and Stadium, so comparing athletics the highlight of the year in Huntington is playing host to one of the worst Power 5 football teams in the country in decrepit facilities while Morgantown has Puskar Stadium, which just this week was filled with 61,200 fans for a home game and has several top notch teams coming here. We also have the Coliseum, a first rate baseball park, a professional baseball team, hundreds of eateries, and our state's best nightlife in additioin to what is easily the best arts scene in our state. We also have the Allegheny Mountain Range just 10 minutes away with hiking, biking, sightseeing, white water rafting, ziplining, and camping and 50 miles of developed rail trails.

While Huntington is basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with that inland port you mentioned having things pass through there, but not stopping and creating jobs, Morgantown is an hour from Pittsburgh, 3 1/2 hours from DC/Baltimore with its 7 million people, on the edge of the Marcellus Gas fields, and the pillar of North Central West Virginia's extensive High Tech Corridor comprising many research firms and organizations as well as NASA, the FBI, and 2 Federal prisons.

Monongalia is one of only 3 WV counties to have more than 100,000 permanent residents, while Cabell has lost that distinction. Development and construction are taking place at every turn here. In Huntington, it is front page news when they build a new fast food restaurant to feed a population that ranks as the more obese in America. The violent crime rate in Morgantown is only 1/3 that of Huntington, and there is an even bigger disparity for property crimes. There is just no comparison. Morgantown is head and shoulders better than Huntington.
Bruh, you forgot to drop the mic

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maidsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Asian massage 30 min Luke Skywalker 2
Places to Fish 1 hr Westover Fisherman 1
where's the backpage girl was 19 year old now 2... 5 hr Eric K 2
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 19 hr Just saying 4,194
Travis B 20 hr Human 2
Jevon Carter Wed Ruthie 17
September 3rd....let's get ready for the Aug 14 coach dana 1

Maidsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maidsville Mortgages