Lawmakers take on late tollway violat...

Lawmakers take on late tollway violation notices, Jon Hilkevitc...

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 15, 2009, titled Lawmakers take on late tollway violation notices, Jon Hilkevitc.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

'My people are furious,' said state Rep. Chapin Rose. 'The tollway last spring sent out a couple hundred thousand tickets from years ago.' Jon Hilkevitch Getting Around March 16, 2009 After thousands of drivers ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tim

Batavia, IL

#22 Mar 16, 2009
Just Another Tax wrote:
Look carefully at you IPASS statements folks.
They WILL overcharge you for tolls.
I've been charges 18 wheeler rates when pulling a small trailer..75 toll cost me $4.00 several times and still waiting for credit.
A car or truck pulling a single-axle trailer is classified as a "medium truck" and pays $4.25 at a tollbooth where cars pay 75 cents. Good luck getting that credit; looks to me like they billed you correctly.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page...
carrying the load

Naperville, IL

#23 Mar 16, 2009
The number of violators and the amount of uncollected fines shines a light on the reprehensible behavior and lack of accountability on the part of the tollway authority.
And, it makes fools and suckers out of everyone who abides by the system by paying every time we pass through a toll gate.
Fixer

Des Plaines, IL

#24 Mar 16, 2009
While we are fixing the system that sends out the fines can we address why we must pay in advance for the privilege of using the Illinois Tollway?

Why must we put in $40 increments money in advance of the actual tolls into our transponders

I recall Canada had a system that digitally reads a license plate and monthly sends you an invoice for the tolls you owe-after you actually use their roadways
Joe Zydeco

United States

#25 Mar 16, 2009
Don't forget the deposits on the transponders that are accumulating interest with the Tollway. Those aren't refunded to drivers.

Even Chicago landlords have to pay interest on deposits.
Gus Philpott

Elmhurst, IL

#26 Mar 16, 2009
Sending notices so late is the second dumbest thing about the Tollway I've ever heard. The first was the $500,000 the Tollway wasted by putting up the Gov. Blago electioneering signs over the ORT lanes.
Gus Philpott

Elmhurst, IL

#27 Mar 16, 2009
You can deposit smaller amounts to your I-Pass account by telephoning Tollway Customer Service. Of course, they don't advertise THAT.
Just Another Tax wrote

United States

#28 Mar 16, 2009
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
A car or truck pulling a single-axle trailer is classified as a "medium truck" and pays $4.25 at a tollbooth where cars pay 75 cents. Good luck getting that credit; looks to me like they billed you correctly.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page...
Thanks Tim,

You are more help the the Tollway employees. Imagine that.

I was still overcharged, just not as much as I thought Boughton Road I355 should have been $2.25. Not the $4.00 I was charged.

Watch your statemenst folks, lot's of errors.
VSV

Madurai, India

#29 Mar 16, 2009
Dear Legislators: one more thing. In case of red light cameras, please require at least two clear lighted warnings about the presence of a camera specific distance in advance.in a uniform location in each direction; also, for violation of turning right without stopping on white line, please allow some margin of error, like 5 feet from the white line, as long as it is reasonably safe...
Barb

Barron, WI

#31 Mar 16, 2009
Dearest BOB
We are "out of staters" have paid for the tolls, missed the tolls, and now own a transponder. When we drove thru without paying, they sent a letter approx. a yr later. We Paid. Out of Staters have to pay just like anyone else. And as for the one plate, I guess that only worked for a while.
Tony

Glencoe, IL

#32 Mar 16, 2009
Recently I received a notice from 2 years ago. A bill was sent for $27,000.00. I have been unemployed and cannot even start paying these fines. I had a I pass and was never notified this Iwas even owed unti 2 weeks ago.
Mich

Chicago, IL

#33 Mar 16, 2009
It isn't really 30-90 days, that assumes you're racking all your violations in one time frame. They're saying you if they claim you missed two tolls in 2007, one in 2008, now they slap you with all three and a $20 penalty to boot for each. Now I have to say, was I reallyin Rolling Meadows on Jan 12, 2007? WTF? How about, send out a notice for every toll or forgive two tolls, period. Don't say forgive, unless we find three, and then give us an extra $60 please.
Good Idea

Chicago, IL

#34 Mar 16, 2009
I too, had a transponder issue and when I realized it wasn't working and called about it, they told me "no need to worry about the tolls you missed. We'll see that the license plate matches what you have on file"

That was in January. Last week I got a fine notice for missing 4 tolls in November. I then had to sit on hold for 45 minutes, to tell them what they already knew.
Joe Zydeco

United States

#35 Mar 16, 2009
Isn't it funny how they can track you down by license plate number to send you the violation notice, but can't find your license plate number on file to just charge you the missing toll?
MarkJ

Brookfield, IL

#36 Mar 16, 2009
Reese wrote:
While they did not receive their missed-toll notices, some vehicle owners unknowingly continued to rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fines. Many were not intentional scofflaws, but rather I-PASS customers whose credit cards expired or they didn't maintain adequate balances in their I-PASS accounts.

This is a crock of you-know-what. I got an email notification from the Tollway when my credit card was about to expire and I took care of it. I don't think you can go into Jewel with no money and expect to buy groceries. These people are scofflaws trying to get out of paying their missed tolls when they have a bad credit card on file or no money in their account. Give me a break! However, there is no excuse for the minimum wage dummies reading license plates wrong before sending out a notice...
You can't argue that the Illinois Toll Authority, towns with red light cameras and all parking tickets should be required to get the notices out within 30 days or the violation is thrown out. I got a few parking tickets from Chicago that were 4 years old by the time they notified me - I told the city by mail to give me a description of the car and where the violation occurred or stuff the ticket. I never heard anything back from them. There needs to be a time limit on how long they can accumulate violations before notifying us.
Red Heart

Mchenry, IL

#37 Mar 16, 2009
The IL Toll Authority is the epitome of Illinois politics.

They have ripped off Millions (Quarters Boyle being just ONE that was caught) from the system.

Even though they knew the life expectancy of the roads they never saved a penny towards any rebuilds. They hired Barnum & Bailey to come in for the ' Company' picnics. Yet they kept raising prices, and never saving. But rest assured the (connected) Bond holders are still making money.

The Northwest (now Jane Addams) Tollway was supposed to have been paid for thirty-some years ago and become a Freeway.

It also was part of a patronage army. Depending who was in office a job was assured, on that I speak from experience - which I refused to partake.

How about the Tolls Public Relations lady with the cat that mauled a couple of kids who thought she was above the law and defied a Court Order and sent the animal out of state? I tried talking to her once (b-4 the incident) regarding when the tollways according to their original pay off dates. She basically told me it was none of my business AND there was NO ONE ELSE TO TALK TO!

The "Toll Authority" has taken on a life of it's own, and it's a shame (statute of limitations) the culprits can't all be tracked down and prosecuted.

For the record, I am not a scofflaw, nor been a 'target' legal or otherwise. I'm just a person that is fed up with the 'Toll System' and the way they have of making loads of money, especially how they manage to rape, pillage, and fine unsuspecting users and not giving them a viable way to contest THEIR accusations.

How could this all be possible? They get the Illinois Legislature to pass laws passed in their favor.

As I said the epitome of Illinois politics.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#38 Mar 16, 2009
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I didn't realize we voted for toll authority positions.
We vote for plenty of people who could reign in the unaccountable tollroad authority, if they wanted to.
RJF

Chicago, IL

#39 Mar 16, 2009
Barb wrote:
Dearest BOB
We are "out of staters" have paid for the tolls, missed the tolls, and now own a transponder. When we drove thru without paying, they sent a letter approx. a yr later. We Paid. Out of Staters have to pay just like anyone else. And as for the one plate, I guess that only worked for a while.
Since you come from Packers country, they make you pay double.ֿ
StephInDal

Denton, TX

#40 Mar 17, 2009
They need to pass the same laws in Texas, yeeeeeesh!
Marta

Chicago, IL

#41 Mar 29, 2009
A nice addition to such a bill would be to do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to help a person locate WHERE they were when/if they missed a toll.

Case one: the toll "exits" look a lot like regular exits. I thought I missed a toll one time. My passenger, accustomed to navigating the spaghetti of toll- and free-ways around Houston, was positive I had not. I went online anyway. New in this area, I couldn't figure out where I had been, so I couldn't pay. Billed 2 years later.

Case two: trying hard to avoid the toll roads, poor signage in a still-unfamiliar part of town put me on a short section anyway. No humans, just a place to pitch in coins. I had a $20 bill, several $1s--but no coins besides pennies and one nickel. Sat there a minute. Decided all I could do was go on, and try to find the place online so I could pay. Online: no luck. No bill yet.

A good starting point would be to POST THE LOCATION NAME right next to the coin pitch-in basket. REQUIRE THEM to do that.

For my first case above, if they had my license plate number, why not let me just search for any recent violations by that, and pay them?

Here's why: NO reason, IF the point is just to collect the tolls. If they'd RATHER collect $20 fine than 80 cents toll, well, it would seem there is a motivation to make it difficult.
Stoughton

AOL

#42 Mar 29, 2009
Hey, the State of IL has to fill that budget gap somehow!!

Seriously, I have an Ipass and I always look at the lights on the ramps that let you know if you account is short.

Waiting years to tell someone of deliquent tolls is wrong though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mahomet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
langston family (Jan '12) Jul 3 Kumler-Curtis-Milroy 4
Dog that was hung in Sibley, Illinois (Jun '16) Jul 2 Emerson 4
News Mahomet woman gets probation for wrong-way DUI Jun 28 Tom 2
Justice for Holly Marie Cassano - Murdered Nov.... (Nov '09) Jun '17 Marty 2
Sheri Williamson letter Jun '17 Chris W 3
News Canadian Coast Guard to continue operating on i... Jun '17 Sub hit by while ... 1
edd mantels May '17 iamwhoiam 1

Mahomet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mahomet Mortgages