Lawmakers take on late tollway violation notices, Jon Hilkevitc...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

'My people are furious,' said state Rep. Chapin Rose. 'The tollway last spring sent out a couple hundred thousand tickets from years ago.' Jon Hilkevitch Getting Around March 16, 2009 After thousands of drivers ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Mar 29, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, Illinois

#1 Mar 15, 2009
All the consumer-friendly legislation sounds great, even fair by government standards. How about someone tapping Mayor Daley on the shoulder and suggesting the same reforms for city parking and red light infractions?

It is unconscionable that in any economy one has to sacrifice a full day's wages just to stand in line to try to dispute a ticket only to be told that there is no chance of consideration whatsoever, let alone an economy where a half a million jobs are being lost monthly.

Miles "Sheriff of Nottingham" Long
Pete

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 15, 2009
In the end, Chicago sheeple will do what they always do: complain a lot, pay up anyway, and keep voting Democrat all the while wondering why nothing changes.
RJF

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 15, 2009
Yep, this is arguably the most corrupt city in the country because people here just shrug their shoulders and say "whatever."

Not that the Republicans are any better but there's no excuse for voting in Daley at every election and for allowing Blago to get re-elected.

Time for the sleepwalking here to stop.
Kelp

Naperville, IL

#4 Mar 16, 2009
Good bill. Nice to see something being fixed.
Reese

Elmhurst, IL

#6 Mar 16, 2009
While they did not receive their missed-toll notices, some vehicle owners unknowingly continued to rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fines. Many were not intentional scofflaws, but rather I-PASS customers whose credit cards expired or they didn't maintain adequate balances in their I-PASS accounts.

This is a crock of you-know-what. I got an email notification from the Tollway when my credit card was about to expire and I took care of it. I don't think you can go into Jewel with no money and expect to buy groceries. These people are scofflaws trying to get out of paying their missed tolls when they have a bad credit card on file or no money in their account. Give me a break! However, there is no excuse for the minimum wage dummies reading license plates wrong before sending out a notice...
Bob

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 16, 2009
What about collections on missed tolls by rental cars and out of state plates?

What about a crack down on those using one license plate?

Twenty-four hour meters in Chicago! I walked four near north blocks yesterday and counted over 40 violations. No tickets. This should not be a police job, but meter enforcement.

Nobody has a right to complain about a fine they have earned!!
Sucker State

Homer Glen, IL

#8 Mar 16, 2009
THis is a source of much needed revenue. Don't cut it off. People will still pay up.
Joe Zydeco

Bloomingdale, IL

#9 Mar 16, 2009
Okay, Reese, what if you're one of those people that doesn't want a credit card on file with the Tollway? Here's how their system works.

Every I-PASS trip gets deducted from your account. Simple enough, right? But when the transponder doesn't register, they rely on the photograph to bill your account. But this doesn't happen instantly. Actually, as it was explained to me by an ISTHA supervisor, they batch these up and then run them against your account all at once, at some random time in the future that they decide.

So, you wake up one morning and drive to work with $20 in your account, for example. Sometime during the day they decide to deduct all the missed tolls, and now you're -$10 under. On your drive home, you go through the gate and now that's a violation. You went through with a negative balance.

Better yet, when you try to settle this toll, you don't even get the 50% discount since as far as the computer was concerned, you weren't an I-PASS customer at that moment. Isn't that nice.

So don't give us crap about everyone being scofflaws, Reese. The system is broken.
Let there be Light

Kankakee, IL

#10 Mar 16, 2009
Look at who owns shares in the I-pass company and find out why it was pushed on the tollway. Al Ronan are you listening. Quinn when are you replacing the tollway chairman and directors? Better move fast before they're idicted.
Fed Up

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 16, 2009
And by the way, please do a little more exposure on that change of vendors. Whose brother-in-law company got the new bid and why did it take them 13 months to get back into operation. What company allows a vendor to turn of a system for a year while they "figure things out?" That's what you do when you prepare a bid - figure it out. I be the new system costs 10 times more to boot.
WhyCryNow

AOL

#12 Mar 16, 2009
Daley gets re-elected because Chicago
voters are never presented with an
electable alternative.
It is always an african-american
political hack with name recognition
who is offered-up as a sacrificial
lamb to appease the black voters,
example: Dorothy Brown, and another
"peoples" selection, example: Bill Walls, those two split the back vote
and the mayor wins hands down because
the white folks are voting for him and
so are the blacks who feel it is their
appointed duty to vote for him.
And go on and get mad because deep down inside you know this is the truth.
Bob

Aurora, IL

#13 Mar 16, 2009
The state legislature should also revamp the appeal process. The current system is nothing but a kangaroo court.
Fred

United States

#14 Mar 16, 2009
Hmm I think that brring the toll authority requiring vehicle owners to file a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain evidence is a good thing.

How has this not yet been challenged legally?
Patrick

Chicago, IL

#15 Mar 16, 2009
Bob wrote:
What about a crack down on those using one license plate?
Why do we need 2 license plates?
Be Very Afraid

Chicago, IL

#16 Mar 16, 2009
"In addition, the toll authority would be barred from requiring vehicle owners to file a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain evidence."

You have got to be kidding. It's time the Tollway Authority was disbanded or gone over with a fine tooth comb. This state has never made it convenient to do business for any residents. How many times do you have to take a vacation day to deal with the state? You should not be penalized when you have to deal with your employees. Yes, taxpayers, you are the employer, which the state forgets time, after time, after time.
Carol

Palo Alto, CA

#17 Mar 16, 2009
Reese wrote:
While they did not receive their missed-toll notices, some vehicle owners unknowingly continued to rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fines. Many were not intentional scofflaws, but rather I-PASS customers whose credit cards expired or they didn't maintain adequate balances in their I-PASS accounts.
This is a crock of you-know-what. I got an email notification from the Tollway when my credit card was about to expire and I took care of it. I don't think you can go into Jewel with no money and expect to buy groceries. These people are scofflaws trying to get out of paying their missed tolls when they have a bad credit card on file or no money in their account. Give me a break! However, there is no excuse for the minimum wage dummies reading license plates wrong before sending out a notice...
The tollway only recently started giving IPASS users notice that their credit cards were expiring and they needed to update their records online.
Just Another Tax

Carol Stream, IL

#18 Mar 16, 2009
Look carefully at you IPASS statements folks.

They WILL overcharge you for tolls.

I've been charges 18 wheeler rates when pulling a small trailer..75 toll cost me $4.00 several times and still waiting for credit.
JSIII

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 16, 2009
Wow a Bill that not only helps the people but makes sence....Oh wait a republican proposed it thats why. Pass this bill or face political eviction Springfield!
Employed - Today

United States

#20 Mar 16, 2009
Reese wrote:
I got an email notification from the Tollway when my credit card was about to expire and I took care of it. I don't think you can go into Jewel with no money and expect to buy groceries. These people are scofflaws trying to get out of paying their missed tolls when they have a bad credit card on file or no money in their account.
This is a recent development by the tollway authority. When I bought my transponder and set up the automatic replenishment, there was a message on the web site that specifically said you would not be notified.

Next up will be the silent transponder that is no longer working and if the only tolls you pass are the "open road" versions, you can expect to see a flood of violations in your mailbox, within 30 to 90 days.
Ted

Roselle, IL

#21 Mar 16, 2009
Pete wrote:
In the end, Chicago sheeple will do what they always do: complain a lot, pay up anyway, and keep voting Democrat all the while wondering why nothing changes.
Really? I didn't realize we voted for toll authority positions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mahomet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr B Hole 49,456
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 hr Corrupt Democrats 1,908
Quarry plans, info uncertain for Robbins residents Aug 27 sgrobbins 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Aug 20 Weneedchange 147
Five more fires start Aug 18 Medewiwin 1
C-U Days 2014 Aug 10 lol 1
•••
•••

Mahomet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mahomet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••