House approves tough blight bill

House approves tough blight bill

There are 11 comments on the Daily and Sunday Review story from Oct 7, 2010, titled House approves tough blight bill. In it, Daily and Sunday Review reports that:

Local officials would gain long-sought powers to pursue the personal financial assets of delinquent slumlords under a bill that won House approval Wednesday and is on track to final passage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily and Sunday Review.

Since: Aug 09

Tamaqua, PA

#1 Oct 7, 2010
I am very concerned about how they are going to apply this very powerful code on the public. Very concerned.
YOU WOULD BE

Kingston, PA

#2 Oct 7, 2010
ImTiredOf_It wrote:
I am very concerned about how they are going to apply this very powerful code on the public. Very concerned.
TOO MANY DUMPY BUILDINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DUMPS 4EVER.

and most of the owners are notorious for being cheap skates, in town after town.

Tamaqua, PA

#3 Oct 8, 2010
Yep there are cheap people.
And there are vastly more poor people who cannot afford to make their homes all spiffy. It is wrong to lump everyone in the same pile.
Harassing residents is only going to divide the town more, which always leads to backlash.
Our leaders need to lead ALL OF THE PEOPLE instead of dictating from isolated chambers.
Along with a few very... invisible business owners, simply put, they are out to replace the poor with the rich.

Business people and the more affluent, for the most part, should not have anymore influence on public leadership than the poorest woman/man in town. Council itself should be doing what is right for the WHOLE town, not just the business/affluent ($) sector that they themselves might be included in. "Right" is much different than creating and enforcing hisssssy-torical zones, splurging on a brand new borough hall and police station,(shaking head), getting involved in real estate ventures, trying attract the artsy community (give me a damned break), or setting Council's roving pitbull (the dreaded code officer) free in our neighborhoods.
EXCUSES EXCUSES

Pittston, PA

#4 Oct 8, 2010
ImTiredOf_It wrote:
Yep there are cheap people.
And there are vastly more poor people who cannot afford to make their homes all spiffy. It is wrong to lump everyone in the same pile.
Harassing residents is only going to divide the town more, which always leads to backlash.
Our leaders need to lead ALL OF THE PEOPLE instead of dictating from isolated chambers.
Along with a few very... invisible business owners, simply put, they are out to replace the poor with the rich.

Business people and the more affluent, for the most part, should not have anymore influence on public leadership than the poorest woman/man in town.

Council itself should be doing what is right for the WHOLE town, not just the business/affluent ($) sector that they themselves might be included in. "Right" is much different than creating and enforcing hisssssy-torical zones, splurging on a brand new borough hall and police station,(shaking head), getting involved in real estate ventures, trying attract the artsy community (give me a damned break), or setting Council's roving pitbull (the dreaded code officer) free in our neighborhoods.
plenty of people also have excuses for not cutting their grass.

excuses too for not even covering their windows!
lots of slobs just put a dirty sheet nailed over a window for a curtain.

people in this area were poorer decades ago, and cared more about their environment.

Tamaqua, PA

#5 Oct 8, 2010
IF my neighbor puts whatever on their windows...it's not my business! It really isn't. Let me tell you that there is an older resident who is a pack rat who is living in what most of you would call squalor, but they are quite happy around all of their "stuff"..some of which is interesting.
Well to make a long story short, this person gave me a healing regiment for a stomach ailment that is now almost cured. This person is a value to the community and they should be LEFT ALONE!
Grass, well I'd want to know the circumstances. We don't have many major grass issues in town. I also know of grass situations where residents, on their own, mow the borough's part of the land so think of all the payroll they are saving...(and where are those man hours being redirected?) Let's stop splitting hairs. There are way too many busybodies out there. Mind your own business, and teach your children likewise.

Tamaqua, PA

#6 Oct 8, 2010
The zoning officer needs more responsibility and the job spec needs to be revamped and enhanced.
EXCUSES EXCUSES

Pittston, PA

#7 Oct 8, 2010
ImTiredOf_It wrote:
IF my neighbor puts whatever on their windows...it's not my business! It really isn't. Let me tell you that there is an older resident who is a pack rat who is living in what most of you would call squalor, but they are quite happy around all of their "stuff"..some of which is interesting.
Well to make a long story short, this person gave me a healing regiment for a stomach ailment that is now almost cured.

This person is a value to the community and they should be LEFT ALONE!
Grass, well I'd want to know the circumstances. We don't have many major grass issues in town. I also know of grass situations where residents, on their own, mow the borough's part of the land so think of all the payroll they are saving...(and where are those man hours being redirected?) Let's stop splitting hairs. There are way too many busybodies out there. Mind your own business, and teach your children likewise.
just because some shaman knows something about stomach problems doesn't mean anything....hitler was nice to dogs and other animals.

wait until winter when the pack rat might have a fire from a heater. a paper years ago wrote of a local fire----started when junk piled high on a porch was in contact with the turned-on porch light.

and, of course, if somebody's electric bill sky rockets, the electric compnay should mind their own business---and not suspect 5 foot tall marijuana is being grown inside.

how quickly people/you forget: the ny times years ago called tamaqua the ugliest town in america.
EXCUSES EXCUSES

Pittston, PA

#8 Oct 8, 2010
HOME OWNER

East Stroudsburg, PA

#9 Oct 8, 2010
ImTiredOf_It wrote:
Well to make a long story short, this person gave me a healing regiment for a stomach ailment that is now almost cured. This person is a value to the community and they should be LEFT ALONE!
Do you own your home ? If you did, you would care about how your neighbors are living. First, there is a health issue. Snakes, rats, mice, other vermom love to live in tall grasses, weeds, etc. If you own your home and some day want to sell it, what exactly do you think would happen to the value of your home having people living in the vacinity who do not take care of their property ? If people want to live like hermits, etc. then they should take their lifestyle out of town where they won't affect people. Why should anyone put time and money into their property when they have neglect going on around them ? If that would happen, the entire area would look like squalor !
Stop

United States

#10 Oct 9, 2010
Most that are run down and rented out are limited partner ship. So good people with littte resources will get hurt. Goverment has no idea how it works. The goverment only grandstand and cause good people to suffer. Then goverment give all that money to build the low income houseing 4 million to aikens project for 12 units . The owners make the money building them. Not renting.them. Mr gursky wants to know why Tamaqua is bad. He didn't learn about supply and demand.
Smiley

Sunbury, PA

#11 Oct 9, 2010
yea and lets see if they go after their "freinds"!1

Kaiers brewery in Mahanoy City, lets see if they do whats right with that big blight.

This is BS and if they think they can target people they dont like or "outsiders" they will be facing legla battles.

This sucks and they will undoubtedly abuse their
power.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mahanoy City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whew! Despite Jewish-sounding name, Penn State ... (Nov '11) Jun '16 Youknow 5
Mahanoy state prison (Mar '10) Jun '16 Mad dog 25
News Coaldale businessman jailed for... Apr '16 Super Sperm 2
News Why Queen Cleopatra was definitely not Black (Dec '05) Mar '16 Anti apollyon 9,970
bruce forker murdered? (Mar '10) Feb '16 Riley 24
News Man stabs sister after quarrel (Feb '14) Feb '16 Steve Jobs 19
Gina (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ironworker 2

Mahanoy City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mahanoy City Mortgages