Closure Of Church Serving Deaf Community Saddens Parish

The planned closures of dozens of churches in South Jersey have Catholics at a church serving the deaf and hearing-impaired community reeling. Full Story
Disappointed Catholic

Trenton, NJ

#1 Apr 7, 2008
Even though I am not deaf, I recognize the necessity for the deaf community to have a place to worship fully. I guess Bishop Galente does not recognize that need. The Pastor of St Gregory, Father Brian O'Neill always catered to the deaf community. In fact, he encouraged his staff and lectors to learn sign language.
inquiring minds

Collingswood, NJ

#2 Apr 7, 2008
Since the services are being consolidated, wouldn't the clergy that catered to the hearing impaired be in the new church? I would think that Disabilities Act would require that the church provide these services, since they did prior to the consolidation. I don't mean every church should require it, just that if a parish already provided it, and was consolidated, that the consolidated parish should also provide those services.

Otherwise, the hearing impaired community needs to loudly state their case, using the media to the fullest extent, and having those involved, family involved state to the diocese that financially, they will not be counted on until these services are restored....money talks, especially when it deals with the chuch.
GrayReb

Toms River, NJ

#3 Apr 7, 2008
I sympathize for the deaf parishoners who relied on this particular parish. However, Camden is just the beginning in efforts to trim/slim down Catholic Churches. The "new trend" in closure of parishes will dominoe throughout the country, following the huge scandal of sins practiced by deviant Ordained Priests against parishoners' children. Scores of church-going regulars have left the church, no longer trusting those whose took the vow of chastity and hid behind the white collar of the Priesthood and secretly preyed on young children to satisfy their sins of the flesh. All the while, those in charge, including Bishops and Cardinals have known for years about this and did absolutely nothing! The faith of the Catholic Church has been shaken to the core, and will never recover. It's time to search for a new religion!
Pat

Coatesville, PA

#4 Apr 7, 2008
Please Please reconsider the closing of this particular church! Not only does it serve the hearing impaired but it also has a Catholic elementary school attached to it! Let's not put these kids through this!
Pat

Coatesville, PA

#5 Apr 7, 2008
GrayReb wrote:
I sympathize for the deaf parishoners who relied on this particular parish. However, Camden is just the beginning in efforts to trim/slim down Catholic Churches. The "new trend" in closure of parishes will dominoe throughout the country, following the huge scandal of sins practiced by deviant Ordained Priests against parishoners' children. Scores of church-going regulars have left the church, no longer trusting those whose took the vow of chastity and hid behind the white collar of the Priesthood and secretly preyed on young children to satisfy their sins of the flesh. All the while, those in charge, including Bishops and Cardinals have known for years about this and did absolutely nothing! The faith of the Catholic Church has been shaken to the core, and will never recover. It's time to search for a new religion!
No, not for a new religion, but new "powers that be" withing the Church itself. The scandals, albiet sickening and devastating, did not alter my faith. Time to get the bureaucrats out, enter the 21st century and pick up the pieces. As heartbreaking as it is to lose my parish, I can worship anywhere.....
Bill Heran

Chandler, AZ

#6 Apr 7, 2009
I had the privilege of working alongside Father Brian O'Neill ministering to the Deaf community in the Camden Diocese. His struggle for support long preceded the closings of parishes in the Diocese. This is not a question about consolidating, or abusive priests. This issue speaks to the failure of the Church to give support to the ministry of fringes of our society and to support dedicated clergymen like Father O'Neill.
Pax,
Bill Heran, Ph.D.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Magnolia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Dec '14 Noddingout 19
Camden County Reaches Full Sustainability Oct '14 Zach 1
FBI needs to investigate Barrington, NJ (Jun '07) Jul '14 afraid to post 59
joshua dockery sailor (Mar '10) Jun '14 curious 4
Christie protesters will have 'free speech zone... (May '14) May '14 ROSENBERG 1
Review: A Checkers Tanning Salon & Laundromat (Aug '13) May '14 Sarah 2
Review: Luca's Laundry (Apr '14) Apr '14 micki 1

Magnolia News Video

Magnolia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Magnolia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:54 am PST