property tax & sales tax

Posted in the Magnolia Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
OVER taxed

Camden, AR

#1 Jan 24, 2012
I see on Magnolia Reporter that Mayor Vann has asked the council to re-impose a property tax inside the city that was abandoned when they passed a sales tax that was supposed to be dedicated to the operation of police and fire,but wound up in the general fund instead. My question is are they going to do away with the sales tax in favor of the property tax or are we now going to have to pay both?
aaa

Lonoke, AR

#2 Jan 24, 2012
didnt no
sober

United States

#3 Jan 24, 2012
We need an alcohol sales tax. Does anybody know who owns the lil liqour store between magnolia and eldorado on the eldo hwy?
Curious 2

El Dorado, AR

#4 Jan 24, 2012
It is hard to tax liquor when you have not legalized its sale.
Curious 2

El Dorado, AR

#5 Jan 24, 2012
OVER taxed wrote:
I see on Magnolia Reporter that Mayor Vann has asked the council to re-impose a property tax inside the city that was abandoned when they passed a sales tax that was supposed to be dedicated to the operation of police and fire,but wound up in the general fund instead. My question is are they going to do away with the sales tax in favor of the property tax or are we now going to have to pay both?
It seemed clear that a city millage would be in addition to the sales tax. it really does not matter - if there is not enough money something should be done and we would be hearing the same thing from any of the other candidates if they had been elected.

Before the MAYOR HATERS go ballistic I would like to see even one of them take the budget and submit a better one to the city council. Show us what you would cut and what we should do without.

I do not have any problem with disagreement but the MAYOR HATERS hurt our town. My suggestion to the MAYOR HATERS (and they will be here)- run for city council and show us what you can do better. ALL EIGHT SEATS ON THE COUNCIL ARE UP FOR RE-ELECTION THIS YEAR.
That won't happen again until 2021. Step up with your time, your money and your ideas - something more that just your mouth.

Do something to help our community while you disagree. Maybe show up Saturday with (or without) your church to help pick up trash all over Magnolia.
If you care about Magnolia do something to show it. If you care about Magnolia tell the mayor you don't like him or his ideas but you love your city and will work to make it better.
Concerned Magnolian

Sulphur, LA

#6 Jan 24, 2012
Curious 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It seemed clear that a city millage would be in addition to the sales tax. it really does not matter - if there is not enough money something should be done and we would be hearing the same thing from any of the other candidates if they had been elected.
Before the MAYOR HATERS go ballistic I would like to see even one of them take the budget and submit a better one to the city council. Show us what you would cut and what we should do without.
I do not have any problem with disagreement but the MAYOR HATERS hurt our town. My suggestion to the MAYOR HATERS (and they will be here)- run for city council and show us what you can do better. ALL EIGHT SEATS ON THE COUNCIL ARE UP FOR RE-ELECTION THIS YEAR.
That won't happen again until 2021. Step up with your time, your money and your ideas - something more that just your mouth.
Do something to help our community while you disagree. Maybe show up Saturday with (or without) your church to help pick up trash all over Magnolia.
If you care about Magnolia do something to show it. If you care about Magnolia tell the mayor you don't like him or his ideas but you love your city and will work to make it better.
Parnell, try to make it less obvious when you post.

Promoting a trash pick up is pretty pathetic, but it's all you have. Jumping on people because they haven't proposed a budget? That's what they elected you for you idiot!

The truth is this mayor doesn't have enough intelligence to run a used car lot, a bar, or a logging company. How any of you can expect anything more than the kind of bullmess you see here is unbelievable. Those of you that voted for him got what you wanted, now you deal with it and don't make the rest of us feel guilty.
Curious 2

United States

#7 Jan 25, 2012
"Concerned" you are wrong about this being Parnell but I did vote for him and I am quite pleased with the job he is doing. We do not have a bullmess at all and you saying it won't make it so because folks have eyes and minds of their own and they see him getting things done. We would be hearing about the same things if one of the other candidates had been elected.
I know it hurts to see yourself being proven WRONG!

I like seeing overgrown lots and dilapidated properties getting cleaned up.
I like seeing lawbreakers doing their community service picking up trash.
I like the city's pastors, all denominations and races, coming together in a renewed Ministerial Alliance, aided and encouraged by the mayor.
I like seeing our Pastors leading the youth of their churches in helping clean up the city. Your statement, "Promoting a trash pick up is pretty pathetic," is just the stupid kind of comment to expect from someone like you. No help - just hate. I expect your are the kind who will throw trash on the street just to make the Mayor and city look bad.
I like seeing the mayor make the smart decision to put the right man in charge of the water department.
I like seeing the mayor helping a hard working street superintendant get the right equipment to do the job.
I like a mayor who thinks it is important for our police and fire pensions to be there when our public servants retire.
I like a mayor who will take on a tough fight to improve our police department and get our policemen and firemen comparable pay.
I like a mayor who will start right in on a tough issue like poorly maintained water and sewer plants instead of hiding it to so the city budget will "look" good.

Yes sir! I voted for him and I am enjoing what I got. If you feel quilty for sitting on your butt and and doing nothing by flapping your lips, then SO BE IT!

I am sure if you look over my post you can point out a grammar or spelling error to demonstrate my ignerance hoping no one will notice yours.
Concerned Magnolian

Sulphur, LA

#8 Jan 26, 2012
Curious 2 wrote:
"Concerned" you are wrong about this being Parnell but I did vote for him and I am quite pleased with the job he is doing. We do not have a bullmess at all and you saying it won't make it so because folks have eyes and minds of their own and they see him getting things done. We would be hearing about the same things if one of the other candidates had been elected.
I know it hurts to see yourself being proven WRONG!
I like seeing overgrown lots and dilapidated properties getting cleaned up.
I like seeing lawbreakers doing their community service picking up trash.
I like the city's pastors, all denominations and races, coming together in a renewed Ministerial Alliance, aided and encouraged by the mayor.
I like seeing our Pastors leading the youth of their churches in helping clean up the city. Your statement, "Promoting a trash pick up is pretty pathetic," is just the stupid kind of comment to expect from someone like you. No help - just hate. I expect your are the kind who will throw trash on the street just to make the Mayor and city look bad.
I like seeing the mayor make the smart decision to put the right man in charge of the water department.
I like seeing the mayor helping a hard working street superintendant get the right equipment to do the job.
I like a mayor who thinks it is important for our police and fire pensions to be there when our public servants retire.
I like a mayor who will take on a tough fight to improve our police department and get our policemen and firemen comparable pay.
I like a mayor who will start right in on a tough issue like poorly maintained water and sewer plants instead of hiding it to so the city budget will "look" good.
Yes sir! I voted for him and I am enjoing what I got. If you feel quilty for sitting on your butt and and doing nothing by flapping your lips, then SO BE IT!
I am sure if you look over my post you can point out a grammar or spelling error to demonstrate my ignerance hoping no one will notice yours.
Excuse me, Mrs. Vann then.

Keep selling all of that hoorah. Most folks aren't buying it. If Parnell didn't do all of the race baiting he did in 2010 to the black community, he NEVER would have this job. You better believe he is working with the black preachers in town, because he has some promises apparently to deliver on and the black leaders made sure of that when they intimidated him at the CC meeting last year.

I like how you didn't reply to my point that he is a thrice failed business person. Glad you feel good about him running things, because it scares the daylights out of me.
watching from afar

United States

#9 Jan 26, 2012
I'm still waiting on Mayor Vann to make good on one of his campaign promises to take part of his salary if elected and put it toward a raise for police officers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that,but I'm pretty sure I read that promise in The Banner News when he was running for office.
We the people are still waiting to hear the reason he got rid of Chief Gorum. Was it because Gorum told him his idea about moving the police department to a tin building was not feasible nor desirable. Oh wait he has now changed his stance on that and wants to build a new one. Does that mean Chief Gorum can have his job back? Where is he aquiring the money for that, when he can't even pay the retirement of the officers?
Curious 2

El Dorado, AR

#10 Jan 26, 2012
Excuse me, Mrs. Vann then.
Keep selling all of that hoorah. Most folks aren't buying it. If Parnell didn't do all of the race baiting he did in 2010 to the black community, he NEVER would have this job. You better believe he is working with the black preachers in town, because he has some promises apparently to deliver on and the black leaders made sure of that when they intimidated him at the CC meeting last year.
I like how you didn't reply to my point that he is a thrice failed business person. Glad you feel good about him running things, because it scares the daylights out of me. QUOTE

I know it is irratating to know there are a lot more people than the two you think I am that support the mayor. If the black vote alone could elect the mayor we would have had a black mayor a long time ago. It took black & white voters. I am not sure but I bet the trash clenaup will have just as many white churches or more participating as Black churches.
I did not respond to your opinion about failed businesses because I don't see it that way. Owning a club was so terrible so when he decides not to own it all you can come up with is he failed.
The cash for clunkers program hurt a lot of used car dealers so when he has sense enough to change and do something else all you can come up with is he failed.
The housing market crash wiped out thousands of independent loggers so you say he failed. I say he survived.
If you are so scared why not help instead of hate or build up instead of tear down. I think you are scared because you are wrong. You see him working hard and doing his best for Magnolia and you see others working with him to make Magnolia better.
Be sure you do not miss the article in the newspaper about
$116,000 or so to build sidewalks to make our kids and schools safer. This program has been around for years and all the former mayor ever used it for was to build a hundred yard or so of sidewalk from Eastside to the Boys and Girls club. The new sidewalks will cost the city little or nothing.
The mayor may do something any day that scares me but if he does I will tell him to his face and see what I can do to make it right.
Curious 2

El Dorado, AR

#11 Jan 26, 2012
watching from afar wrote:
I'm still waiting on Mayor Vann to make good on one of his campaign promises to take part of his salary if elected and put it toward a raise for police officers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that,but I'm pretty sure I read that promise in The Banner News when he was running for office.
We the people are still waiting to hear the reason he got rid of Chief Gorum. Was it because Gorum told him his idea about moving the police department to a tin building was not feasible nor desirable. Oh wait he has now changed his stance on that and wants to build a new one. Does that mean Chief Gorum can have his job back? Where is he aquiring the money for that, when he can't even pay the retirement of the officers?
You could take the mayor's salary two or three time over and not do what needs to be done for police salaries.
Maybe it was not a good idea to invest what it would take to move the PD to a temporary location but the officers would probably prefer a "tin building" that does not flood to one that does. I do not see anything wrong with seeing the need for a better police station in the future and asking the city council to start thinking about it. I am glad we have a mayor who will back off a questionable solution and go a different direction. Don't worry - no new police station is going to happen soon. Our policemen will have to work in a cramped leaky building and you can complain that the mayor is not taking care of our public servants.
I am sure you were hoping our police department would fall apart with out Robert Gorum but it did not. I am sure you are waiting for it to fall apart with a black chief but it won't.
The city council and the former mayor knew for several years the police and fire pension funds were in trouble but the problem did not get fixed. That mayor had to protect his political future instead of our city.
I know you think the new mayor is stupid but not even a stupid mayor would ask for increased taxes if there was any other way.
Concerned Magnolian

Sulphur, LA

#12 Jan 27, 2012
You are obviously personally connected to him, so I won't bother trying to reason with you. This man has embarrassed Magnolia already on so many levels.

His underhanded election tactics didn't play well with many in Magnolia, including me. The dirty political ad he took out in the paper so late in the campaign (so his opponent couldn't reply). The race baiting. The tire issue. Everything. Then he sings about Jesus in every interview he gives.

His time is coming. He will have opposition when he runs for re-election. I guarantee you that.
Curious 2

El Dorado, AR

#13 Jan 27, 2012
I don't know about personally connected but I do think is doing a better job that the last mayor or any of the other candidates might have. I do know I would have been willing to help any of the other candidates had they won and ask for my help. If they did something I did not think was right they would have heard it from me and not here.
I do not remember the political ads and I guess by "race Baiting" you mean trying to learn the problems in the black community, find people who might have solutions and be willing to help then he needed needed to do that.
I fully understand there are some people that just want to bulldoze the south side of town or just ignore it and hope it does not bother the north side but the south side is here to stay. Seems better to find and work with those who can help improve the situation.
I would have handled the tire issue differently and I told him so. I am sure glad he is a Christian and would not care one iota if it is fake because that is between him and God and I trust God to make it right. He is not perfect but is also is not the person the haters make him out to be.
Since you think he fooled the biracial majority of voters who elected him you must feel superior to a lot of people. Good Luck With That.
watching from afar

Arlington, TX

#14 Jan 27, 2012
Curious 2 since you seem to know so much about Parnell's thought pattern, please answer the question about why he got rid of Robert Gorum and then instead of making Captain Ferguson the interim Chief which would have been the normal protocal, he made Sgt Proctor the interim and within 10 minutes had him demote Ferguson to Lieutenant. Was it because Ferguson was more qualified than Maxwell and Parnell needed him out of the way so he could fulfill his campaign promise to make Maxwell the Chief ?
Concerned Magnolian

Sulphur, LA

#15 Jan 27, 2012
Curious 2 wrote:
I don't know about personally connected but I do think is doing a better job that the last mayor or any of the other candidates might have. I do know I would have been willing to help any of the other candidates had they won and ask for my help. If they did something I did not think was right they would have heard it from me and not here.
I do not remember the political ads and I guess by "race Baiting" you mean trying to learn the problems in the black community, find people who might have solutions and be willing to help then he needed needed to do that.
I fully understand there are some people that just want to bulldoze the south side of town or just ignore it and hope it does not bother the north side but the south side is here to stay. Seems better to find and work with those who can help improve the situation.
I would have handled the tire issue differently and I told him so. I am sure glad he is a Christian and would not care one iota if it is fake because that is between him and God and I trust God to make it right. He is not perfect but is also is not the person the haters make him out to be.
Since you think he fooled the biracial majority of voters who elected him you must feel superior to a lot of people. Good Luck With That.
Bulldoze the southside? I see you've taken a lot of pointers from your hero Parnell. That's the kind of race baiting I'm talking about loser.

The last mayor was bad, we agree on that, but how that justifies Vann's ignorant behavior is mystifying to me. I guess PV could do anything and you would come on here making excuses. He pitted one ethnic group against the other to get elected, and he'll have to answer for that next election. Save all of your righteous indignation until then.
info

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2012
Hey, does anybody know if Mrs. Vann is back on the Junior Charity League? There is always gonna be politics played out between the PD and the Mayors office. That goes on everywhere. All you can hope for is that it dont get out of hand.I think the NEW Chief will do a fine job.
overtaxed

Camden, AR

#17 Feb 14, 2012
Sales tax
Camden 1.75%
El Dorado 1.25%
Arkadelphis 1%
Gurdon 1.5%
Dequeen 1%
Hot Springs 1.5%
Little Rock 1.5%
Stephens 1%
Magnolia 2.125 + proposed increase?
Does it seem like we need to increase our sales tax? We are already higher than any city around us. If we raise it more, its just going to force people to drive to Eldorado or Camden to buy thier products and while there buy gas that's 10 cents a gallon cheaper. I say its time for city government to tighten its belt.I can think of several ways the city could save money. One of many would be for department heads including the Mayor to take a pay cut. I'm overtaxed and I'm tired of it.
no more tax

White Hall, AR

#18 Feb 16, 2012
We are taxed enough already, and as so for as the law's pension funds, heck,,, everyone who has a pension fund is probably in deep doodoo. I know mine dropped big time in this economy. If people checked into the details of their pension holders they'd probably all be worried if it would be there when they need it.

As many tickets that are given out in this area...some of that should be put in their fund. And the nerve of the phone calls from the law officials(whoever it is that makes those unwanted calls all the darn time) should know that the people who have gotten some of those tickets, are not going to donate jackcrap...they've already 'given'.JMO
watching from afar

Palestine, TX

#19 Feb 17, 2012
jumping on overtaxed's bandwagon. I have come up with another way to save the city money. How about we do away with the duplication of services at the police department and let the Sherrif take over all the duties of law enforcement for Columbia county. We could go to a metro police department that would take over Magnolia, Waldo, and Taylor.
Those cities could turn thier police budgets over to the Sherrif. That would automatically eliminate
three overpaid administrative positions Chief(Magnolia & Waldo) and Ass Chief(Magnolia)This would give the community three more officers on the street.(too many Chiefs and not enough Indians)Would also eliminate the Central Dispatch issue because the Sherrif would be running the hole shootin gallery.It would also eliminate the need to build a new police department.
Taxpayer

United States

#20 Feb 17, 2012
Sounds good to me. But it is too simple a solution for the ones in power to grasp.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Magnolia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amfuel (Aug '12) 5 hr stainlow 37
finally 7 hr jon 3
Larry's Pizza Magnolia is coming to town! Wed Wilson Borosvskis 5
leg spreader Feb 23 not your average ... 20
The Deans list (Jan '13) Feb 21 you know me 134
chemtrails/morgellions disease (Jan '12) Feb 11 Grigori 6
Steroid Bust (Dec '13) Feb 11 wow 8

Flood Warning for Columbia County was issued at February 26 at 6:43AM CST

Magnolia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Magnolia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:39 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:39AM
Sources Close to Dez Believe Rumored Tape Exists
Yahoo! Sports12:06 PM
Report that Dez Bryant could be franchised makes most sense right now
Yahoo! Sports 1:06 PM
Dallas Cowboys' Dez Bryant linked to incident at Walmart parking lot
Bleacher Report 1:08 PM
Cole Beasley Contract: Latest News and Rumors on Negotiations with Cowboys
Yahoo! Sports 1:13 PM
Sources: Cowboys, WR Cole Beasley close on deal