Stop worshipping the Military

Stop worshipping the Military

Posted in the Magee Forum

Wes

Hartland, WI

#1 Nov 21, 2011
we should really stop worshipping the military. it is a dangerous practice. it is not a good thing to drill in the heads of veterans and members ofthe military they are superior to civilian society. two marines ask two hollywood stars to attend their maine balls with them and it makes national headlines. of course the two hollywood stars would have been panned and their carrers suffered if they refused. a big misperception many people have is that the american people owe the military and veterans. americans don't owe the military or veterans anything. uncle sam owes the military and veterans, and a lot of times he doesn't honor the debt. when was the last war that was fought for americans or genuinely benefitted the american people? the recently passed jobs bill for veterans was the latest example of political posturung. the tax break will do little to help unemployed vets. but members of congress never miss a chance to be seen ''helping'' veterans. you notice the republicans wouldn't raise taxes on their wealthy constutuients to pay for a jobs bill for civilians. an important thing to do is not listen to words but look at reality. if the government or the people really cared about veterans, 200,000 wouldn't be homeless nor would the unemployment rate for vets be twice what it is for the civilian sector. the reality means a lot of folks are lying. we should stop this military worship. many in the military are already developing an unhealthy disdain and contempt for civilians. we will soon have thousands of troops returning to a bad economy and a tight job market. there is no reason for any american to ''thank'' any one who served in iraq. that war and invasion was not done for the interests of americans. name one benefit from the iraq war. there ae none. many americans ''thank'' soldiers without even knowing what it is they're thanking them for. nor should we thank someone who join the miitary for economic reasons, as most folks do these days. that person made a personal fianancial decision and should not be ''thanked'' for it. we already have a ilitary that is dangerously getting beyond civilian control. we have a cowardly commander-in-cheif who is intimadated by the military. the military brass wants to continue the occupations in iraq and afghanistan but it is in the best interest of the american people to end these occupations. the worst thing politicians should do is ''defer to the military.''
Fred

Carthage, NY

#2 Oct 17, 2013
Years ago many that fought ours wars were drafted. These men probably would not have joined the military. There lives had to be put on hold until the conflict was over. These are the ones we should thank. Today's military has many worthy individuals, but they chose a military career and I believe that choice is made for many reasons others than serving their fellow Americans. I have been active and reserve for over 30 years and I stayed in because it was like a fraternal organization that paid and gave benefits. It could be fun at times, though that has turned out to be more the exception than the rule. I believe the original poster has valid points.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Magee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Insane Vice Lord (Jun '07) May '15 double glocks 285
Ukraine is none of our buisiness May '15 Wes 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) Apr '15 Abe Lincon 60
News Mother afraid to send son to school (Nov '07) Apr '15 Mhs sucks 9
Magee: Shooting victim found dead in car Mar '15 lakeira gardner 1
News Miami man found guilty of forcing a 17-year-old... (Feb '07) Mar '15 Noelle 25
Tina M Walton-Turner -- James R Turner Jan '15 over it 1
More from around the web

Magee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Magee Mortgages