finkbine lumber co 1916
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Florence, MS

#21 Jan 17, 2010
I just signed up because I saw this while goggling the Finkbine lumber co. I am going tomorrow to take some pics of the old mill. I live in Braxton Ms and would love to find out more about it. My driveway is part of the dummy line that ran from the mill to piney woods. It is the only part that is maintained and i still find old spikes on the road. does anybody have pics of the old mill.
David Price wrote:
Tony Howe can be reached via the following email address:
DAVID H HOWE <[email protected]>
Tony and I have a new website that should help. It is at msrailroads.com
There you will find posted information and photos from our huge collection of Mississippi railroad and logging research. I don't know if it is posted or not, but we have a pretty complete map of the timber holdings of Finkbine Lumber Company and their operations at both Wiggins and DLo. We are always looking for more info, maps and photos.
Hope this helps!
David Price
[email protected]
Tim

Lorain, OH

#23 Aug 9, 2010
I am also searching for information about Wiggins' industries from 1913. Our family settled there for a short period, and it appears the Pickle-factory fire may have driven them north to Cleveland, OH. They traveled from either Ohio or Pennsylvania to work in Wiggins, but we wonder how they would have learned of this employment from such a distance. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks
Brax H Batson

Ethel, MS

#24 Aug 15, 2010
Tim wrote:
I am also searching for information about Wiggins' industries from 1913. Our family settled there for a short period, and it appears the Pickle-factory fire may have driven them north to Cleveland, OH. They traveled from either Ohio or Pennsylvania to work in Wiggins, but we wonder how they would have learned of this employment from such a distance. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks
Tim, Finkbine Lumber Co. at Wiggins MS owned thousands of acres of timberland from which they harvested the long leaf yellow pine over a period of time from about 1904 until about 1929. In an effort to sell the denuded land, they promoted the development of truck & fruit farms. They advertised in northern papers to entice farmers to South Mississippi. Part of this effort was the construction of a Canning Plant which over time became a cucumber pickle plant. The plant operated under several different owners over the life of the plant which finally closed about 1985?. I remember Wildar, Standard Brands, Brown Miller Pickle Co., Beatrice Foods. No doubt there were others
Dee Dee Hatten

United States

#25 Oct 12, 2010
Brax H Batson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tim, Finkbine Lumber Co. at Wiggins MS owned thousands of acres of timberland from which they harvested the long leaf yellow pine over a period of time from about 1904 until about 1929. In an effort to sell the denuded land, they promoted the development of truck & fruit farms. They advertised in northern papers to entice farmers to South Mississippi. Part of this effort was the construction of a Canning Plant which over time became a cucumber pickle plant. The plant operated under several different owners over the life of the plant which finally closed about 1985?. I remember Wildar, Standard Brands, Brown Miller Pickle Co., Beatrice Foods. No doubt there were others
I am from Wiggins, MS. My daughter is a student at Ole Miss. She is doing a project on Wiggins and needing some info on the Pickle factory or the Ginkbine sawmill. Do you have any old articles that we could possibly get a copy of?
Brax H Batson

Wiggins, MS

#26 Oct 13, 2010
Dee Dee Hatten wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from Wiggins, MS. My daughter is a student at Ole Miss. She is doing a project on Wiggins and needing some info on the Pickle factory or the Ginkbine sawmill. Do you have any old articles that we could possibly get a copy of?
I have several things that may be useful to your daughter. I am in the Wiggins phone book. My email is [email protected]
Terry Hartwig

United States

#27 Oct 18, 2010
I live in D'lo. I serve as a town alderman. It is my guess that all records of Finkbine must have left with the people who lived here. WE have little if any records of the mill. The frame work of the old mill still stands along with the smokestack.There are a lot of stories left in the minds of a few older people. We are having our town reunion 10/24/10 at the town community building doors open at 9 am you are all invited.
Jmoody

Metairie, LA

#28 Aug 25, 2016
Kathleen Woods wrote:
My Great Grandfather Frederick M Stapp was brother-in-law of William Finkbine of Finkbine Lumber Co. I grew up on Friendship Farm in Wiggins, MS. I have no records of the company. My great grandfather and his brothers managed the company store and mill.
Hello Kathleen my name is Joyce and I live where Emily and Marie Stapp usee to live which is at the Friendship Farm. I know that the doll house burned many years ago but I was wondering about the house that is on the property as of now which is where I live. I know one of her brothers and his family lived on the property as well and I think that my house was built somewhere in the thirties. I wasn't sure if you had any information about it I was curious as to what year it was built. You can email me at [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Magee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Insane Vice Lord (Jun '07) Jul '17 Vrazy Lil Lord 322
Homewreckers of Smith County Jun '17 farmhand69 1
News Rheta Grimsley Johnson: Kat and Mahalia and Bli... Apr '17 new ideas 3
News Proposed amendment may force drivers out of the... Mar '17 ThomasA 2
Lowe's coming to Simpson County (May '08) Feb '17 Chris McCurdy 9
News 4 suspended in Mendenhall school fight (Nov '07) Jan '17 Sandrag 3
She do (Dec '16) Dec '16 She do 1

Magee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance