Trail Dust: Glorieta not fought by New Mexicans

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

Photo: Capt. Candelario Martinez, dressed in Union blue, joined the New Mexico Volunteers at age 18.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
martie

Grants, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

how can you be sure their were no hispanics in this battle have you not heard or researched that hispanics and native americans live and lived in colorado especially back then!!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

martie wrote:
how can you be sure their were no hispanics in this battle have you not heard or researched that hispanics and native americans live and lived in colorado especially back then!!!!!!
I agree! The article was a hit piece to sully conservative white guys from Texas.

I guess we all spin history/herstory.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Glorie...

It appears there were Hispanics and Indians were involved.

"Meanwhile, the leader of the New Mexican volunteers, Lt. Col. Manuel Chaves of the 2nd New Mexico Infantry, informed Chivington that his scouts had detected the Confederate supply train nearby at Johnson's Ranch. After watching them for an hour, Chivington's force descended the slope and attacked, routing or capturing the small baggage-guard with few casualties on either side.[23] They then looted and set afire eighty supply wagons and spiked the cannon, and either killed or drove off five hundred horses and mules before returning to Kozlowski's Ranch.[24] With no supplies with which to sustain his advance, Scurry had no choice but to retreat to Santa Fe, the first step on the long road back to San Antonio, Texas. The Federals thereby stopped further Confederate incursions into the Southwest. Glorieta Pass was the turning point of the war in the New Mexico Territory.

One of Chaves' scouts was Anastasio Duran. Duran was stationed with the Union Army at Fort Union. He was a resident of Chaperito, New Mexico. Duran was considered a "Comanchero" by U.S. Army officers; and was renowned for his hunting skills. He was intimately familiar with the terrain. Duran was the lead scout that led Union forces to attack Confederate forces behind Confederate lines at the Battle of Glorieta Pass."

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B attle_of_Glorieta_Pass
It appears there were Hispanics and Indians were involved.
"Meanwhile, the leader of the New Mexican volunteers, Lt. Col. Manuel Chaves of the 2nd New Mexico Infantry, informed Chivington that his scouts had detected the Confederate supply train nearby at Johnson's Ranch. After watching them for an hour, Chivington's force descended the slope and attacked, routing or capturing the small baggage-guard with few casualties on either side.[23] They then looted and set afire eighty supply wagons and spiked the cannon, and either killed or drove off five hundred horses and mules before returning to Kozlowski's Ranch.[24] With no supplies with which to sustain his advance, Scurry had no choice but to retreat to Santa Fe, the first step on the long road back to San Antonio, Texas. The Federals thereby stopped further Confederate incursions into the Southwest. Glorieta Pass was the turning point of the war in the New Mexico Territory.
One of Chaves' scouts was Anastasio Duran. Duran was stationed with the Union Army at Fort Union. He was a resident of Chaperito, New Mexico. Duran was considered a "Comanchero" by U.S. Army officers; and was renowned for his hunting skills. He was intimately familiar with the terrain. Duran was the lead scout that led Union forces to attack Confederate forces behind Confederate lines at the Battle of Glorieta Pass."
Thankee Boss!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

http://www.neta.com/~1stbooks/nmvol.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorieta_Pass_or...

There were local units involved, but not as main forces.

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Wow! Thank you.

Since: Sep 09

Hanover, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

stiff neck 'n bucket drives ...
a side 'a hogtown blues ...
a strip a' red bacon ...
Rein A Krack Link
Richard Ingram

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Lt. Col. Manuel Chavez was a true hero. But on the night march from Santa Fe to Ft. Union on march 4th a entire battalion of New Mexico troops deserted except for Lt. Chavez and a few other officers. According to a Major Donalson who was there. There were some bitter battles fought in New Mexico. There were also some Hispanics that fought on the confederate side. The war in New Mexico did not determine the out come of the civil war .The Union was in no danger of losing the West.
mara

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

It is time to say thank you to your helper it have being longtime that i have being illness i spend all my money in the hospital but the sick always come back again but there is only man the that think i will not die that help me without money the man that say a word and never repeat i was homeless running from one place to another for treatment even i go from online doctor every day it get worse i just want to put this shot testimony down here so you can still escape dead.
i search for help in internet,and social network but in Facebook that was where someone introduce a man know as dr herbafair
to me he said he a witch doctor he give me a email to mail him i did really the man help me five month the sick did not come back again am very happy please you need help mail he now Dr.herbafairspellhome@gmail.co m

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Magdalena Discussions

Search the Magdalena Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Apr 17 Joe 221
Police investigate Mountainair shooting (Apr '10) Apr 15 Billy Bob 33
Wind Farm Likely To Get Permit (Dec '10) Apr 15 Billy Bob 17
Sticker shock hits Alamo (Feb '13) Mar 23 MaximusRetardus 11
K-Bob's Steakhouse eyes late March opening in L... Mar 21 Yuck 3
Updated Forum on retiring in Socorro (Apr '13) Feb '14 Constantia 3
Corrupt cops (Apr '11) Feb '14 donk 11
•••
•••