Another member of DA's team throws hat in the ring for top spot

Linda Burson, currently an attorney with the 12th Judicial District Attorney's office in Alamogordo, will seek to gain the position of district attorney this year. Full Story
Alamo Observer

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Mar 30, 2008
Strange thing is I can't find that last paragraph quote on Pershing's blog. Help me out here. I might have to sue my eye doctor.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefi...
Janet White

Tularosa, NM

#2 Mar 30, 2008
I couldn't find the quote either. I tried. Anyone else want to take a look?

“Ends never justify means”

Since: Dec 07

Alamogordo

#3 Mar 30, 2008
My question is considering all the jobs Burson has had does she get easily bored? Can the job of DA hold her attention span long enough to do the job if elected. She has worked in insurance, taught english and owned/operated two hotels yeah that is a woman with vision, direction *cough* and goals! She even flipped flopped from the DAs office to Public Defender back to DAs office. Sorry but I do not want someone in a leadership position who does not seem to know what the heck she wants out of her career!
Shawna

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 30, 2008
I heard she left the public defender office because she didn't like the responsibility of being boss, so she went back to district attorney office for more pay and less responsibility
Another new Dem

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Mar 31, 2008
The Public Defenders Office is so underfunded that the job is overwhelming for anyone; add family responsibilities and it can be too demanding for most people.
There are far more ADA's (Assitant DA's) than there are PD's and the vast majority of cases are handled by the Public Defenders.
That's not justice. Justice should not just be for the wealthy.
Common Sense

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Mar 31, 2008
Ah, but justice isn't for the wealthy either. I invite anyone to go to the County Jail on a Saturday and ask the visitors to the inmates what their friend/loved one is in for. It is amazing! We spend $80/day to keep people in jail that kicked a dresser, had a beer (not DUI, probation violations for 1 beer), got caught with a joint of pot. Our system is all about empire building....more DAs for more bull **** cases, more law enforcement for more unnecessary arrests, more jailers to keep it all going, more judges to try all of these petty charges. Our system allows people to sit in jail for months, loosing their jobs, loosing basically their entire lives for the most petty stuff. If we concentrated on the big stuff, rape, murder, assault, child abuse and left the minor stuff alone, we the taxpayers could finally get a break. I won't vote for anyone that ever worked in the DAs office, and I hope that whoever wins the election will fire them all and start fresh!!

Alamogordo

#7 Mar 31, 2008
Janet White wrote:
I couldn't find the quote either. I tried. Anyone else want to take a look?
It is not there because it was never written. I contact Ben Pershing and he wrote back saying he has never written anything about the DA's race. You have to wonder if this was a fabrication of the liar I mean Lawyer or Karl. Surely if Karl was given the quote and he did not bother to verify it the "8 years" should have tipped someone off as it has been 12 years.

Alamogordo

#8 Mar 31, 2008
Sorry for my typos, I think I still need more coffee.
Denise Lang

La Luz, NM

#9 Apr 1, 2008
I thought about whether or not I would want someone as a DA with no experience in a DA's office and decided I would rather see someone with some experience.
I'll support Linda because I see her as strong enough not to change parties just to get elected, like so many Otero candidates have done because they've been told they can't win unless they run as a Republican.
She's not part of 'good old boy' network and I see that as a good thing.
Her many jobs indicate she's a talented woman with many perspectives on our community.
Shawna

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Apr 1, 2008
Denise Lang wrote:
I thought about whether or not I would want someone as a DA with no experience in a DA's office and decided I would rather see someone with some experience.
I'll support Linda because I see her as strong enough not to change parties just to get elected, like so many Otero candidates have done because they've been told they can't win unless they run as a Republican.
She's not part of 'good old boy' network and I see that as a good thing.
Her many jobs indicate she's a talented woman with many perspectives on our community.
Did Ceballes change parties to run as a Republican???? Martwick has always been a Republican.... Oh, you're talking about the District Attorney Office fearless leader, Scot Key who was Democrat then changed to Republican to win the District Attorney Office.....

By the way all three candidates have worked in the District Attorney Office.
Denise Lang

La Luz, NM

#11 Apr 1, 2008
I wasn't just focusing on the DA's office: Our 12th District Judge Frank Wilson was a Democrat, Aubrey Dunn (candidate), County clerk Robyn_________

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Magdalena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Claudette Ortiz: Mountains aren t supposed to die (Oct '10) Fri nunya 11
janice hudson miller Dec 23 janice hudson miller 1
El Paso Police identify man shot by officer (1:... (Dec '08) Dec 8 Concerned 4
Former deputy receives probation (Jul '08) Dec 2 Fred 20
UPDATE: Failure to communicate? Qwest service r... (Dec '10) Nov '14 Gregory362 80
Alamo cold case to be featured on TNT show Nov '14 MalcommX 19
moving to Socorro Oct '14 Chupacabra 2
Magdalena Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Magdalena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Magdalena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Magdalena

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News